· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
SOME CD REVIEWS FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE...PART II
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Jun 09, 2003 

(Since all these reviews couldn't fit in one post, here are the rest...)

JEFF HARRIS – MUSIC MAN (Atrium Music International) On the title song of his second CD, Music Man, Hollidaysburg native singer/songwriter/guitarist Jeff Harris describes himself simply: "I'm a human jukebox/I'm a music man." Based these days in Nashville, Harris presents an upbeat, ear-friendly blend of country and light rock over Music Man's ten tracks. Fueled by Harris on guitar and harmonica, plus Nashville musicians Kerry Marx, Blake Addison and Kent Lodderick; the album features simple, down-to-earth country-rock melodies sold by Harris' warm and friendly croon. With half of them written by Harris, the songs themselves are mostly easygoing and lighthearted, from the numerous Elvis sightings on the opening track "Mighty Long Way From Memphis" to the bar room etiquette lessons of "No Business During Drinking Hours;" from the playful relationships depicted in "Crazy Love" and "Other Than Elvis" to the humorous relationships-gone-awry scenarios of "But" and "John Deere Letter." Harris offers a few more serious moments on the album with the love song "Black and White World," and the breakup odes "I Don't Want To Talk About It" and "Bye Bye." Simplicity is the key to this album's success. The melodies themselves are direct and to the point, and the lyrics are straightforward and easy to digest. Jeff Harris' Music Man comfortably bridges the gap between country twang and pop songcraft, and is ultimately a pleasant, unimposing listen worth checking out.

RAGHOUSE – WELCOME TO THE EP (no label) Singer Jimmy Mincin, guitarist Jeff Reid and drummer Shawn Gioiosa were previously the nucleus of mid-90’s Altoona-based funk/metal powerhouse Terminal Zero. After personnel changes and career moves prompted Terminal Zero’s demise, this trio of musicians continued to stay in touch, collaborate and create song material. Though Shawn’s multimedia career path placed him in New York, the trio got together to record material last year, and Raghouse was born. A precursor to an anticipated full-length CD release later this year, Welcome to the EP is a five-song introductory blast that shows us the wide range of hard-rocking terrain in which this group roams. Raghouse shows a willingness to experiment with varying styles of attack on each song. The driving opener “Clip My Wings” and the rampaging “Nant” portray the trio at their hardest-rocking; showcasing Reid’s acidic guitar burn, Gioiosa’s explosive drumming and Mincin’s voice at its most agitated and anguished. “Bleed For Me,” on the other hand, is a more methodical number demonstrating Raghouse’s talents for texture and dynamics; the song’s progressive melody and layered arrangement build to a thundering chorus. The CD’s strongest melody occurs on “Disembodied Symphony,” a somber acoustic-geared ballad in which Mincin’s voice convincingly expresses quiet despair and resignation. The CD’s finisher, the uptempo “Spectre,” is Raghouse’s hard-rocking salute to Phil Spector-styled early 60’s pop (thus the title) that progresses towards a punkish fast-break ending. All three members of Raghouse demonstrate their ability to adapt their approaches to fit the mood and context of each song; and Gioiosa displays capable talents as the trio’s chief arranger, especially on “Bleed for Me” and “Disembodied Symphony.” Recorded in Reid’s home studio in Hollidaysburg and mastered in New York City, Welcome to the EP sounds sharp and jagged. A touch more bass in the mix would have given this disc more punch; but ultimately the end result still conveys both the muscle the subtlety of Raghouse’s sound. Welcome to the EP is a solid introduction to Raghouse’s musical world, and sets the stage for the trio’s full-length endeavor to follow.

V.I.H. – V.I.H. (no label) Described on their web site as "that little ol' blues band from the Blue(s) Mountains of Pennsylvania," V.I.H. is fronted by veteran guitarist Sterling Koch, whose past resume includes his 80's band incarnation, The Sterling Cooke Force, as well as a successful solo career. Flanking Koch are bassist Frank Ciambra and drummer/backing singer Larry Baudoin. On their self-titled debut, V.I.H. (Victory In Heaven) introduces us to their brand of positive-message blues and blues-rock, which draws inspiration from both blues and gospel. The sound is lean, muscular and guitar-driven, rooted in the blues-rock tradition of Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and ZZ Top. Sterling Koch's guitar fireworks and finesse provide constant highlights throughout the course of the album, while Baudoin and Ciambra provide a solid and steady rhythmic foundation to back him up. V.I.H. uses their musical backdrop to convey uplifting positive and spiritual messages. The funky-edged "Everything I Need" and the midtempo blues-rocker "You Can't Take It With You" downplay the importance of material wealth and riches. V.I.H. expresses their idea of the Hereafter on the straightforward blues of "Everyday Will Be Like Sunday," and offers hope for coping with the burdens of everyday life on the nine-minute blues epic "Worried Life Blues." The harder-rocking "Saved My Life" thanks a higher power for turning a life around. And remakes of Steve Wiggins' "Message from the King" and the traditional "He Set Me Free," along with "Livin' In The Light," offer more spiritual messages. Fans of muscular, guitar-driven blues and blues rock will find lots to celebrate on V.I.H.'s debut, a victory of quality musicianship and messages of hope.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: