· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 6/19/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 19, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 6/19/03:

TUESDAY NIGHT 6/10 – After a late evening at the office, I headed to Peter C’s to check in with Not Them Guys. This show has become a relaxed, cozy setting; with Steve Shiffler and Jim High set up and performing on the upstairs level, right in front of the bar. These two mixed numerous acoustic classic rock and country favorites, mixed in with friendly banter and a sense of twisted humor. I liked the song selection this night, as I heard a lot of songs that I haven’t heard in a long time – including versions of Michael Murphy’s “Wildfire,” Simon & Garfunkel’s “The Boxer,” Canned Heat’s “Going Up The Country” (with Steve chiming in on kazoo), B.W. Stephenson’s “My Maria,” Bread’s “Diary,” America’s “Sister Goldenhair,” plus country tunes from Tim McGraw, Johnny Cash, naughty redneck singalongs and more. Crowd was light at first, but more Peter C’s regulars and fans showed up as the night progressed, and the show was a friendly good time in the night’s latter stages (though the long day was wearing on me, and I started nodding off – I hate it when that happens!). Not Them Guys at Peter C’s is a great way to break up the usual boredom and tedium of a Tuesday night in these parts, so go check it out!

Not Them Guys, a good reason why Tuesdays don’t have to suck any more.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT 6/11 – After trying for several Wednesdays to do so, I finally broke away from the ‘Toona this night and ventured up to Happy Valley to catch the Darcie Miner Band at Crowbar. With the students graduated or away on semester break, State College was a virtual ghost town, and Crowbar was sparsely populated for Darcie and her band. Darcie and her bandmates took it all in stride, though (they play nearly every Wednesday at Crowbar during the summer months, including Arts Festival week, so they will have their audience before all is said and done), using the show as an opportunity to stage test new songs. Darcie and her band pulled out a lot of new songs this night, and since the audience was small and intimate, Darcie introduced each song individually and offered some thoughts on each. Some of the highlights included the rocker “Emmalyne” (about Darcie’s cat), “Lock Me Up” (a song she co-wrote with former Stereo Logic frontman Manion Hacker, now with Condition K), “New Jersey” (inspired by Bruce Springsteen), the folk-rocker “Pull Me Away,” and “Orphan” (written after Darcie’s parents divorced two years ago). As expected, Darcie’s voice was in fine form, her rangful siren-like voice easily resounding throughout the cavernous Crowbar. What also impressed me about Darcie Miner and her band is that they are progressively working better as a total unit. At first, the group served more as a backdrop for Darcie’s voice, but especially on the newer material, it is more a total band effort. Baitley’s guitarwork molds itself around Darcie’s voice, supporting and complementing it while still allowing his guitar skills to shine. Darcie appears more comfortable in the band setting these days, interacting with her bandmates more and having fun onstage. So despite the sparse attendance, Darcie Miner and her bandmates still had a good time this night. Still happy about her recent television appearances on CBS’ “Star Search” and MTV’s “Advance Warning,” Darcie reported that she and the band might be hooking up with Edwin McCain on the road again later this year; and they’ll be starting work on a new album soon. Darcie Miner Band is at Crowbar most Wednesdays this summer, so take in a show and catch a young performer on the rise!

Darcie Miner.

Now with a hat, Darcie Miner.

Once again, Darcie Miner.

The Darcie Miner Band.

With acoustic guitar again in hand, Darcie Miner.

THURSDAY NIGHT 6/12 – Although Thursday bands at City Limits were discontinued after last month due to poor attendance, Backstreet Law made a special Thursday appearance this night. Somewhat surprisingly, attendance was on the light side this night – where did all of you Thursday G-Man rock fans disappear to? Backstreet Law delivered the party to those who did attend, mixing it up nicely with a wide variety of stuff. I heard everything from George Thorogood to Neil Diamond (actually, Neil Diamond’s “Forever In Blue Jeans” meets Slayer!), an 80’s rock medley, Beastie Boys, Pantera, and several originals; including “For Dead,” “Hockey Helmet” and the ever-popular raunchy sex anthem “Seatbelt.” My favorite highlight was Backstreet Law’s rendition of ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man,” flavored with Jamie Morral’s death-metal bass pulse – kicked ass! A good time despite the disappointing turnout, hopefully more folks will come out for the return visit!

Goody and Jamie of Backstreet Law.

Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law.

Posing with fans, Jamie of Backstreet Law.

Goody of Backstreet Law.

Choke of Backstreet Law.

Jeremy Edge of Backstreet Law.

Once again, Jeremy Edge of Backstreet Law.

FRIDAY NIGHT 6/13 – On the eve of my day job’s Harley giveaway, I needed to get out of town for a night, so I made my first roadtrip to Johnstown in several months to catch the new mach edition of Rennis at Dougherty’s “Terra” Tory. Nice large crowd in attendance, including members of Lost Ledny and Ribbon Grass representing – good to see Johnstown out and supporting their local metal! The new edition of Rennis features frontman Joe Moore, Angry Johnny on guitar, bassist Steve Stull (donning white Jason facemask in the early going) and former Deviance drummer Darren Byer. The new Rennis throttled Dougherty’s soundly with their modern metal mix, including tunage from Fear Factory, System of a Down, Rage, Disturbed, Korn, Sepultura, Hatebreed, Coal Chamber, Tool, Slayer and much more. The group also introduced at least one original song, “Kill Switch Engage.” Former Rennis frontman Craig Stiles joined the band onstage frequently this night, and the group hinted that Craig might be soon rejoining the band full time. Rennis’ performance was volatile and constantly on the attack, their energy fed by increasing numbers of fans (especially females) at stagefront as the night progressed. Highlights for me included versions of Sepultura’s “Roots,” the original tune and the Slayer tune to end the night. Based on this show, Rennis is definitely back, and bigger and better things shluld be forthcoming as this group logs more stage and studio time. Get ready!

Angry Johnny and Steve Stull of Rennis.

Angry Johnny of Rennis.

Steve Stull of Rennis.

Joe Moore of Rennis.

Craig Stiles (center) joins his former band onstage.

But WHY is he angry? Angry Johnny of Rennis.

Joe Moore of Rennis looks on as several hard-rocking females pose for the Rockpage camera. (Did I ever say I like this job?)

Unmasked, Steve Stull of Rennis.

Joe Moore and Craig Stiles, co-fronting Rennis.

One of this area’s meanest-looking bass players, Steve Stull of Rennis.

One more photo of some Johnstown metal ladies for good measure…

On a separate note, Craig Stiles was telling me about his former Ozone bandmate, Joe Lombard, who has moved on to bigger and better things. Joe is currently playing bass for one of the more established names in death metal, Incantation. This band is one of the bigger names in the death metal genre, and they are currently on their “Blasphemy Downunder” tour, playing show dates in New Zealand and Australia. So hats off to Joe, another area musician who is making his mark worldwide!

SATURDAY AFTERNOON 6/14 – No-brainer here, the Q94 Harley Giveaway took place at a very muddy Cresson Sportsmen’s Club. (It was funny watching the little kids getting mud-coated to their heart’s content, while all the adults were tiptoeing their way around the grounds trying to keep from getting dirty!) Anyway, I’ll cut to the chase: Over 2,000 people came out to witness the proceedings, as John Brumm won the Harley Dyna Low Rider. (John’s been loyally attending our Harley remotes over the years and trying to win the bike ever since we started giving them away, so it was cool to see him finally rewarded with the big prize!) The pre-Giveaway musical entertainment was provided by Backdraft. Backdraft did a good job mixing eclectic classics (who would have ever expected a version of the Chi-Lites’ “Oh Girl!?”), classic rock favorites and a bit’o’humor (hopefully John Brumm will be able to fix the dents and ripped seat on the Harley after the Backdraft guys broke it in with some off-roading, lol). Frontman Brian Cupples was laying down the law on guitar, with some crisp and concise leadwork. Highlights for me included the Cream double-shot, plus tunes from Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, original songs like “Let Me Love You” and the set-ending “Gotta Go,” and more. Although the muddy conditions scared most folks from coming up front to the stage area right away, at least a few brave souls did – including the aforementioned little kids to play in the mud, and one Harley qualifier (who we affectionately call “Wolfie”) dancing like a wildman in the woodchips, doing splits and the whole nine yards. Backdraft did a fine job, and privided a good warm-up for the main event.

Backdraft readies the masses to win a Harley.

Brian Cupples of Backdraft.

Tim Kelly of Backdraft.

Phil Harpster of Backdraft.

An estimated 2,200 onlookers await the moment of decision: Who will win the Harley?

The man who won the Harley, John Brumm of Altoona.

Along with the Harley, John also won the honor of being surrounded by Q94 Calendar Girls – something most of us at the station have yet to experience!

SATURDAY NIGHT 6/14 – I had considered several roadtrips this night, but worn out from the Harley Giveaway, I decided to stick close to home and took in Scream at City Limits. Good to see a decent-sized crowd on hand for these 80’s rock warriors, and a good number of these folks were up on the dance floor at various times throughout the night. Scream did powerful 80’s tunage from AC/DC, Bulletboys, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Ratt, Golden Earring, Quiet Riot, Def Leppard and more. Highlights for me included the group breaking out Y&T’s “Mean Streak;” the Def Leppard double-shot of “Pour Some Sugar On Me” into “Love Bites” (people could actual slow dance to this one, a rare sight at shows any more), and the encore rendition of Metallica’s “For Whom The Bell Tolls.” These area rock veterans still play these tunes for keeps, and everything was on target – Jeff Hoover’s vox, Skip Henry’s and Ed Miller’s guitar leads, the throbbing bass and booming drums of Rob Port and Mike Dooley respectively, it was all good! City Limits’s sound system was pounding it the thunder this night as well, you could feel the concussive force with each beat! Judging by this turnout and Hair Force One’s decent draws locally, it appears that this town is finally coming out for 80’s hair-band era metal again. I’m not complaining!

Ed Miller and Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Scream brings the thunder to City Limits.

Robert Port and Skip Henry of Scream.

Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Ed Miller of Scream.

Several loud and proud headbangers cheer on Scream.

Once again, Ed Miller of Scream.

Ed Miller and Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Mike Dooley of Scream.

SUNDAY NIGHT 6/15 – My weekend concluded with Juiced at Pellegrine’s, and my first look at the group with new bass player Greg Folsom, replacing mom-to-be Beth Karpovich. (Since she and hubby Leon are both bass players, I wonder what instrument their child might someday pick up…probably…drums!) Greg seems to be fitting in well with his new band surroundings, and he sang lead on a few songs this night. Frontlady Carrie still remains at the front and center, moving to and fro onstage and rallying the stagefront masses to party. Juiced mixed all the usual favorites from Beastie Boys, Harvey Danger, Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool, Rage, Disturbed, Rick Springfield and more. Keyboard man Doug sang Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” surrounded by Pelly’s mass of female humanity onstage. In all, a good uptempo Juiced party, albeit a bit predictable. I’d like to see these guys and gal mix it up a little more and come up with some more original songs – perhaps the change in their roster will prompt some updates to their show.

The new guy: Greg Folsom of Juiced.

Happy to be surrounded by Pellegrine’s ladydom, Doug Buch of Juiced.

Carrie Rappaport of Juiced.

Don Carr of Juiced.

Glowing as usual, Carrie of Juiced.

Stage man and band photographer Jason helps Carrie belt out some voice.

Norm Marks of Juiced.

Once again, Juiced’s “rookie,” Greg Folsom.

Carrie and Juiced escalate the party to a total nuclear meltdown.

For the chemically-enhanced members of our reading audience, some psychedelic Juiced.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: