· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 7/10/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Aug 02, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 7/10/06

GRADE E @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 7/6/06

After putting in a late night at the workplace, I headed over to Al’s Tavern to catch what I could of Grade E’s bi-weekly Thursday performance. I was pleased to find that Grade E is building a fan base on Thursday nights at Al's, evidenced by the good-sized crowd present and enjoying their brand of groove rock. I procured a table in the rear of the room, and despite it being past midnight, was able to order up some supper from Al's kitchen, which is open to 1 AM.

In the front of the room, singer/guitarist Chris Vipond, bassist/singer Mike Stanley and drummer Todd Harshbarger proceeded to weave various favorites and original songs into nonstop groove sessions, keeping the mood ever upbeat along the way. As I arrived, they were shifting from one of their original tunes into a funky read of Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues." The group grooved their way through renditions of the Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil," the Monkees' "(I'm Not) Your Steppin' Stone," their original song "End," Parliament's "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)," EMF's "Unelievable," the Beastie Boys' "No Sleep til Brooklyn," their original song "Mined" and more.

Grade E's grooves were upbeat and playful, and the group never took themselves too seriously as they had fun and gave the seated audience a good time. Several lighthearted moments took place while I was there, including the band stalling for time while Todd made a sudden mid-set little boys room run, and Mike's sassy rap display towards night's end.

Again, it looks like Grade E is building a steady good time on alternate Thursdays at Als; and the next time I'm there, I'm following Mike's advice and trying one of Al's "Hooter" sandwiches!

Grade E, getting their groove on at Al’s Tavern.

Mike Stanley and Chris Vipond of Grade E.

THE FISTICUFFS/4 DAYS DIRTY/OPPOSITION @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 7/7/06

This night, the destination was Aldo’s, for the hard-hitting triple bill featuring The Fisticuffs, 4 Days Dirty and Opposition.

I was especially curious about The Fisticuffs, a name I was starting to hear about but hadn't seen yet. I arrived just before they kicked off the evening. The Fisticuffs did high-speed, high-velocity hardcore punk rock, featuring rapid fire drumming, snarling guitars and agitated, angry vocals. The group did about eight songs in all if my count was correct; I was only able to pick out one song title, "Premonition." Their tunes were basic, driving, and aggressive; and The Fisticuffs delivered them with ample fire and vigor. These guys received a good response from the growing Aldo's crowd, and their set served as a good start to the night to get things fired up.

The Fisticuffs, opening the evening at Aldo’s.

Again, The Fisticuffs.

The frontman for The Fisticuffs.

One more time, The Fisticuffs.

Next was 4 Days Dirty. Fresh off their Millennium Music Conference showcase, 4 Days Dirty was equally fired up this night in front of the hometown crowd, and performed a bristling, maximum-impact presentation as they drilled original assaults old and new, along with a few heavier covers. After opening with Breaking Benjamin's "Home," 4 Days Dirty rocked the house with originals such as "Alive," "Downtime," "Wanted," "Stone Cold," "Loosen My Grip," "Killbox," "'Shot' Gun" and ("Worthy.") The group also broke out two more remakes, Breaking Benjamin's "Polyamorous" and Tool's "Sober." Singer/rhythm guitarist Steve Danfelt, bassman Paul Greiner and guitarist Joe Neary brought the fury up front, jumping around and firing up the stagefront dance floor participants. It was another fiery, enthusiastic performance that kept the night's energy level high and carried the momentum forth to the evening's last band, Opposition.

4 Days Dirty.

Justin Fair of 4 Days Dirty.

Again, 4 Days Dirty.

Paul Greiner and Steve Danfelt of 4 Days Dirty.

Paul Greiner of 4 Days Dirty.

Joe Neary of 4 Days Dirty.

Once again, 4 Days Dirty.

One more time, 4 Days Dirty.

With fans gathered in front of the stage, Opposition proceeded to bring their A game as well, firing off their agitated hybrid mixture of hardcore punk, funk, hip-hop and metal. Frontman Mike "Iceman" Bryant, guitarists Phil Wagner and Rich Johnson, bassist Bill Rickard and drummer Dave Russell delivered a solid set of original tunes, including established crowd-pleaser favorites like the scathing “Fallen Brothers,” “Runaround,” the funky "Finger Lickin,” “My Hero,” “Suicide Machine” and more. Again, Opposition has become a tight, powerful and confident unit; able to shift musical gears and tempos on a dime and keep crowds fired up. Iceman demonstrated fire, charisma and in-your-face stage presence, moving about and working the crowd. This band keeps getting better, and I continue to look forward to hearing more.

This was a good night of original rock at Aldo’s, as three diverse bands came, saw, and pleased a good crowd. Fan bases were likely expanded for all three bands this night.

Mike “Iceman” Bryant of Opposition.

Opposition delivers the goods at Aldo’s.

Again, Opposition.

Rich Johnson of Opposition.

Bill Rickard and Rich Johnson of Opposition.

Again, “Iceman” of Opposition.

Phil Wagner and “Iceman” of Opposition.

Once again, Opposition.

Again, Bill Rickard of Opposition.

Opposition rocks the crowd at Aldo’s.

HARPER’S MEMORIAL PARK ROCKFEST 2006 @ SHADE GAP PICNIC GROUNDS, SHADE GAP 7/8/06

After months of promotion, one of the biggest local concerts of this summer season had arrived. The Harper’s Memorial Park Rockfest 2006 would bring national recording group Warrant to the Shade Gap Picnic Grounds, along with popular local powerhouses Sound Of Silence and Scream, and Spitshine from the Lehigh Valley.

It is always my game plan to try to arrive at these events in time to see all the entertainment. However, I usually always find that the biggest challenge is escaping the gravitational field of Planet Toona to get there. Such was the case again this day, as household chores, traffic and other trivial delays nickeled and dimed at my travel time, so by the time I arrived in Shade Gap, Sound Of Silence had already performed and Scream was just about to get under way.

Scream launched into their set with a version of Krokus’ “Long Stick Goes Boom,” and proceeded to rock the grounds with their thunderous 80’s metal set. Scream performed abundant doses of headbanging rock from Kix, AC/DC, Kiss, Bulletboys, Motley Crue, White Lion, Ozzy, Def Leppard and more. Instrumentally, this band again shined, with the dual-edged guitar attack of Ed Miller and Skip Henry executing with clockwork precision, and the two axemen again combining for some lethal guitar harmonies along the way. Behind the kit, Kevin Siegel was leveling his big and powerful beats, again looking happy to be pounding out this type of drum thunder. Vocally, it wasn’t one of Scream’s better days; I detected some strain in Jeff’s voice as it reached for the higher register, and the backing harmonies weren’t as crisp as I’ve heard from this band before. But overall, this band was still kicking it well, and the audience cheered their approval as the set went along.

Scream helps warm things up for Warrant at the Harper's Memorial Park Rockfest.

Scream presents their edition of “Headbanger’s Ball” at the Harper's Memorial Park Rockfest.

Kevin Siegel of Scream.

Skip Henry of Scream.

Ed Miller of Scream.

Once again, Scream.

Again, Kevin Siegel of Scream.

One more time, Scream.

As I looked around, I was happy to see that there were definitely more people here in Shade Gap this day than there were a few weeks ago for the Relay For Life Band Jam. It still seemed a little slow, but I expected the crowd to grow as evening approached and Warrant hit the stage.

Next on the bill was Spitshine, with a different bass player this time, Shane Stoneback. Spitshine appeared to have a little bit of jet lag early on, and took a few songs to fully kick into gear. But once they did, they elevated their set into a rocking onstage party. The group did their brand of funk-tinged modern original rock, starting with “Satellite,” and proceeding with tunes such as the ska-flavored “No Good,” “Fall Away,” and their rocking rendition of Elton John’s “Rocket Man,” during which some dancers and revelers began to step up in front of the stage. Singer Bryan Harmony then introduced a new song called “Share The Love,” before going into a song from their self-titled CD, “Everywhere I Go.” Drummer Steve Berlen then launched into a torrid drum solo, before Spitshine further escalated the party with the driving and punkish “I-H8-U.” Then it was guitarist Larry Werner’s turn in the spotlight, as he stepped forward and uncorked a wild guitar solo that incorporated some Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi licks. Spitshine then performed “Mandalyn,” “Thorne,” and a new song, “Therapy,” which then segues directly into the group’s rousing and rocking take on Christina Aguilera’s “Beautiful,” which had the stagefront crowd going wild. The group then closed out their set with “Quarter Til Four” off their first CD, and invited the stagefront crowd up onstage to party directly with the band. Spitshine’s set was a total party at this point, and the perfect set-up for the main event from Warrant next. And with Spitshine now working with noted producer David Ivory, it’s very possible that this group might be a national name by the next time Huntingdon County sees them!

Spitshine continues the festivities, getting the crowd more fired up.

Steve Berlen of Spitshine.

Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Spitshine rocks the crowd at the Harper’s Memorial Park Rockfest.

Larry Werner of Spitshine.

Again, Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Once again, Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Again, Larry Werner of Spitshine.

Some fans celebrate Larry Werner’s smoking guitar talents.

Once again, Larry Werner of Spitshine.

Larry Werner and Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Spitshine’s designated bassman this afternoon, Shane Stoneback.

Yet again, Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Again, Steve Berlen of Spitshine.

Spitshine welcomes the audience onstage during their finale.

It’s a party onstage with Spitshine at the Harper’s Memorial Park Rockfest.

More festivities with Spitshine.

Spitshine parties down with fans on stage.

Once again, Bryan Harmony of Spitshine with a party behind him onstage.

One band remained – Warrant. These days featuring former Black’N Blue frontman Jaime St. James singing lead, Warrant rocked the Shade Gap picnic grounds with a set combining their popular favorites, a few deep cuts, some new songs and more. The audience surged forward to the stage as the band donned their instruments and opened with “Down Boys.” Much of Warrant’s song selection came from the group’s popular first two albums, Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich and Cherry Pie. The group performed “Sure Feels Good to Me,” “32 Pennies,” “Love In Stereo,” and appropriately given this concert’s location, “In the Sticks.” They continued with another of their hits, “I Saw Red,” followed by “Bed of Roses” and one lone song from their Dog Eat Dog album, “The Hole in My Wall.” After “Mr. Rainmaker,” Warrant welcomed a youngster, Josh, onstage to thank everyone for helping in the effort to raise money for Relay For Life. Jaime then introduced a song from Warrant’s brand new album, Born Again, “Bourbon County Line.” The group then slowed things down for “Sometimes She Cries” into “Heaven,” and a number of cigarette lighters lit up throughout the audience. Next was “So Damn Pretty” and “You’re the Only Hell Your Mama Ever Raised,” before the group went into a jam passage showcasing Jerry Dixon’s bass and Joey Allen’s lead guitarwork. Warrant then broke out a tune from Jaime’s past, as he introduced Black’N Blue’s “Hold On to 18,” before the group closed out their set with “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.”

The Shade Gap crowd immediately demanded an encore, and after about a minute, Warrant returned to the stage to deliver one. Jaime introduced another song from the new album, “Dirty Jack,” before firing up the audience for the finale, “Cherry Pie.”

Warrant delivered the goods. Jaime St. James turned out to be a good fit for Warrant; his voice was similar but slightly grittier than his predecessor, Jani Lane. Joey Allen fired off some excellent lead guitar solo work; and rhythm guitarist Erik Turner, bassist Jerry Dixon and drummer Steven Sweet kept the foundation tight and crunchy.

Warrant was a hit with the Shade Gap crowd in attendance, and the band came out shortly after the show to autograph CD’s, tickets, photos, shirts, female body parts and more.

Attendance overall was slightly disappointing, as Harper’s Memorial Park Rockfest organizers had hoped for more turnout in support of Warrant and the cause. Organizers said they would assess everything before deciding whether to do this concert again next year.

Jaime St. James and Joey Allen of Warrant.

One highlight during Warrant's set was when they welcomes this youngster, Josh, on stage to thank everybody for helping out Relay For Life.

Warrant rocks Huntingdon County at the Harper’s Memorial Park Rockfest.

Once again, Warrant and the crowd.

No, it’s not Larry “Bud” Melman of the David Letterman show; it’s Joey Allen of Warrant.

Steven Sweet of Warrant.

Jerry Dixon and Joey Allen of Warrant.

Jerry Dixon of Warrant.

Jerry Dixon and Joey Allen of Warrant.

Jaime St. James of Warrant greets the outstretched hands of the crowd.

Once again, Warrant and the fans.

Jaime St. James of Warrant.

Again, Steven Sweet of Warrant.

Joey Allen of Warrant.

Again, Jaime St. James of Warrant.

Once again, Joey Allen of Warrant.

Once again, Jaime St. James and Joey Allen of Warrant.

After the concert ended, we checked out this cool-looking Munstermobile-styled trike (owned by one of the Shade Gap firemen) while we waited for Warrant to come out for autographs.

The trike, from another angle.

Yours truly, with 80% of Warrant. Thanks to Buck for taking the shot! (Hey, we'll call that a Buck-shot!)

Here's another Buck-shot, of yours truly with Spitshine. Since these guys are currently working with noted producer David Ivory (who helped get Halestorm signed), they could be a national band by the next time I get to see them!

GO GO GADJET @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 7/8/06

As the Harper’s Memorial Park Rockfest had ended before 11 PM, I had some time left to catch a band in action in the ‘Toona. I decided to take the 17th Street exit off I-99 and proceed to the 4D’s Lounge to check in with Reading-based party force Go Go Gadjet.

A near full house and a full-fledged party were underway as I arrived and touched base with Onetooloud, who was running sound. Go Go Gadjet was finishing their second set with The Darkness’ “I Believe In A Thing Called Love” and The Outfield’s “Your Love.”

As I looked around the room during the intermission, it was a happy and wild crowd at the 4D’s, and more people were steadily arriving even though the time was approaching 1 AM. Go Go Gadjet frontman Jeff even said he was surprised that people were arriving and still paying full cover at this late stage of the night. Among the crowd were at least three bridal and bachelorette parties; one of then would figure prominently in the entertainment during the nightcap set.

Soon Go Go Gadjet returned to the stage, and commenced their last set of the night with a rendition of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” The dance floor quickly filled back up, and the party intensified as the group performed Blur’s “Song 2,” Stone Temple Pilots’ “Interstate Love Song” and Stealer’s Wheel’s “Stuck In The Middle with You.” One of the bachelorette parties made its way to the dance floor, and soon the bachelorette and her accomplices were on stage with the band. Go Go Gadjet took things into a rap/hip hop vein for a few songs, eventually shifting back into the rock side of the spectrum with Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Wante Me” and Kelly Clarkson’s “Since You’ve Been Gone.” The packed dance floor kept busting their moves as Go Go Gadjet finished out the night with renditions of Madonna’s “Like A Virgin”
and Kool & the Gang’s “Hollywood Swingin.’”

Go Go Gadjet gave this lively crowd plenty of reason to pack the dance floor. Singers Tim Duncan and Jeff, drummer Mike Intelisano, guitarist Chris and keyboard player/bassist Tony (Tim, Jeff and Tony all take turns on bass during various songs) generated upbeat, nonstop, action-packed grooves as they maneuvered through various styles and sounds, and moved about the stage, constantly making contact with the audience.

It was a good high-octane party, and served notice that Go Go Gadjet is a rising party force on the state’s stages, and they have definitely made their impact on the Altoona scene. Based on this night at least, expect to see more of Go Go Gadjet in this neck of the woods in the next several months.

Jeff of Go Go Gadjet.

Tim “Dunc” Duncan of Go Go Gadjet.

Mike Intelisano of Go Go Gadjet.

Tim and Jeff of Go Go Gadjet.

Go Go Gadjet stirs up the dance floor at the 4D’s.

Again, Mike Intelisano of Go Go Gadjet.

Again, Jeff of Go Go Gadjet.

Tony of Go Go Gadjet.

Once again, Go Go Gadjet and the 4D’s dance floor crowd.

Tim “Dunc” Duncan of Go Go Gadjet and a frisky bachelorette.

The bachelorette party takes the stage during Go Go Gadjet’s final set of the evening.

More festivities with Go Go Gadjet.

Once again, Tim “Dunc” Duncan of Go Go Gadjet and a partying bachelorette.

Serving hundreds from atop the speakers, Jeff of Go Go Gadjet.

Once again, Go Go Gadjet and a busy 4D’s dance floor.

Go Go Gadjet’s party continues.

SAMMY HAGAR & THE WABORITAS/OTHER ONES @ POST GAZETTE PAVILION AT STAR LAKE, BURGETTSTOWN 7/9/06

I had this date marked on the calendar for a while. Sammy Hagar was coming to Post Gazette Pavilion at Star Lake. After seeing his rowdy party at Pittsburgh’s Station Square Amphitheater a few years ago, I definitely wanted to catch this show.

The first hint that this show wasn’t selling many tickets came when Star Lake and Ticketmaster offered up a 4th of July ticket sale; buy one lawn or pavilion seat ticket, and get three more free. Lawn tickets themselves were just ten bucks, so I ordered mine on July 4, and wound up getting four lawn tickets to see Sammy for a whopping grand total of $12.37! And it got even better from there, more on that later...

With my cronies Sparky and Guv'nor Jesse in tow, we arrived at Star Lake early; we thought the show started at 5, but it turned out Sammy didn't take the stage until 8. There was a band playing the second stage, Super No. 7 from Erie. But with time to burn before Sammy went on, we decided to tailgate in the parking lot and relax with other fans before entering the venue to check out the concert.

We entered Post Gazette Pavilion and set up shop on the lawn. We suspected that not too many tickets had sold for this concert, and we were right, as the lawn area was sparsely populated, and even the pavilion area had lots of open seats. (One guy in the parking lot told me that an attendant said they only sold 3,500 tickets – ouch!) Within a few minutes, Star Lake folks came over and told us that we could go up and sit in the pavilion area – great!

Sammy Hagar did two sets. The first was with his current band, The Waboritas. They did classics and hits from throughout the Red Rocker's 30-plus year career – including such solo hits as "Mas Tequila," "There's Only One Way to Rock," "I'll Fall In Love Again," his recent single "Let Me Take You There," "Little White Lie," "I Can't Drive 55" and "Heavy Metal." They also did "Rock Candy" from Sammy's Montrose days, and introduced several new songs from Sammy's forthcoming new CD, including "Mexico" and "Sam I Am." The group also broke out a funked-up version of Dylan’s “Rainy Day Women 12 & 35,” before going into “Shaka Doobie” from Sammy’s Ten 13 album; also “The Girl Gets Around,” Sammy’s contribution to the 1984 Footloose movie soundtrack. The stage area was done up like the Cabo Wabo Cantina, and a select group of fans were seated behind the band on stage. Sammy periodically served tequila shots to select audience members in that group, including one fan who just arrived back from serving in Iraq, and a couple that just got engaged.

The second set would feature Sammy with The Other Half – essentially, the Waboritas with a different bass player, Van Halen's Michael Anthony. Michael surfaced on stage first, booming out a monstrous bass solo display; that eventually culminated in the opening chords of the first tune of the set, "Running with the Devil." From there, Sammy, Michael and the Other Half performed Van Halen classics, including "Sittin' On Top of the World," "Why Can't This Be Love," "Good Enough," "Summer Nights," "Runaround," "Finish What Ya Started," and "Best of Both Worlds." The concert ended on a surprise note, with Sammy and the Other Half breaking into a rendition of the Beastie Boys' "Fight For Your Right (to Party)," while the stagefront audience was showered in a barrage of confetti from above the stage. This set rocked overall, although I think Michael Anthony should stick to playing bass; he didn’t exactly set the world ablaze when he sang lead on “Running with the Devil” and “Why Can’t This Be Love.” Oh well…

Sammy is still in great form; he can still wail on voice, and smoked on guitar when he opted to do a solo. Especially during the Other Half set, much of the guitar solo work was done by Sam’s Waboritas guitar bandmate Vic Johnson. At one point, when Sammy introduced “Summer Nights,” he explained to the audience that Van Halen rarely did that song live because Eddie used multiple guitar effects in the studio and couldn’t capture that specific guitar sound in the live setting – he then said he challenged Vic Johnson to come up with the guitar sound, and he did! Sammy continues to be an entertainer who connects with the crowd, too – he frequently spoke to the crowd and had fun with stagefront fans, quipped and joked with 'cantina waitresses' who brought tequila shots up to him, and bantered with his bandmates as well.

As I expected, this was an all-around, fun show. Too bad there weren't more people present to experience it. Sammy said at the end of the night that he would be doing these tours annually, so it’s likely I will be back for more in the coming years.

Guv'nor Jesse – his balance enhanced by quantities of Anheuser-Busch products consumed during the tailgate – took this horizontally-challenged shot of yours truly and Sparky in the Star Lake parking lot. We adjusted our pose to accomodate Jesse's camera angle.

As the gravitational balance shifted beneath him, Guv'nor Jesse.

The backdrop curtain showed the cover of Sammy Hagar's forthcoming new album, Livin' It Up.

Fans were seated behind Sammy Hagar as he and the Wabos and Other Half performed.

A self-inflicted photo of Jesse, Sparky and yours truly taking in the show from the lawn.

A lawn seat view of Sammy Hagar's stage set-up.

Once again, Sammy Hagar & the Waboritas, with a legion of fans seated behind them.

Once again, the stage for Sammy Hagar's concert.

Before we moved up to the pavilion seats, Guv’nor Jesse catches a few Z’s.

Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar and The Other Half.

The Red Rocker has fun with one of his waitresses.

Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar and Vic Johnson of The Other Half.

Once again, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar and Vic Johnson of The Other Half.

The confetti-filled finale to Sammy Hagar and The Other Half's set.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/9/06

Good days – and weekends – end with Bad Daze; and as the Sammy Hagar concert entourage first met and departed from Pellegrine’s, we arrived back there just after 1 AM, with enough time left to catch at least part of Bad Daze’s final set.

With little time left on the night, I didn’t even bother to carry my notepad inside Pelly’s. But Bad Daze had a mid-sized crowd partying down with their hard-rocking current and 80’s rock mixture. And answering my plea for plastic shopping bags to deliver Pennsylvania Musician magazines in, Rob Carolus had a pile of plastic bags stacked on the right side of the stage, for me to unload from Pellegrine’s at the end of the night – thanks!

From what I saw, Bad Daze had a good party going. And although Pelly’s was not packed this night, I would guess that Bad Daze was probably happier with their turnout than the Star Lake folks were with the turnout for Sammy…

Bad Daze, during the waning moments of their party at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Bad Daze.

Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

One more time, Bad Daze.

NEW FEATURE: JP’S HAIKU

To introduce a little culture into this cyberscape called Rockpage, I begin a new feature exclusive to the Weekend Recap: “JP’s Haiku.” For those not familiar with this type of writing, haikus are three lines in length, and must have 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second, and 5 again in the third line. And each one here will pertain to something I experienced over the weekend on the music scene. Here is this weekend’s haiku:

Warrant at Shade Gap
Learned that folks in boonies rock
Good times had by all

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: