· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 7/17/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Aug 16, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 7/17/06

FAT VINNY & THE WISEGUYS @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 7/13/06

Summertime tradition returned this day with the reconvening of the annual Lakemont Park Wing-Off's. Providing the soundtrack for the gorging of chicken wings was Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Attendance appeared light early as I arrived just shy of the 6 PM start time. I hadn't heard much about this year's Wing-Off's heading into the event, and it appeared at least early on that the first Wing-Off hadn't publicized all that well, and that attendance might suffer as a result.

I procured my first batch of wings from The Cantina's pavilion (a dozen hot and a half dozen butter garlic), and set up shop at one of the stagefront picnic tables to take in Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys' performance.

The group kicked off with Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy." A technical difficulty led to a brief delay, but soon the group was back in action, and they continued with John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom," with guest Denny Owens wailing some hot harmonica accompaniment. The group continued with several of their own - "Bad Men On The Run," "Lucky Charm," "Barroom Floor," "The 'Where Ya Been' Look" and "Picked the Wrong Day." The first set finished with Hank Williams' "Move It On Over," the Rolling Stones' "Honky Tonk Women" and George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone."

Technical snafu notwithstanding, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys were doing a good job so far. The summer heat had prompted main man Fat Vinny to perform from a seated position on a stool, but the man was belting out a powerful blues growl nonetheless, and showing some impressive slide guitar work as well. Vin, bassman Randy Ketner and drummer Jeff Van Clief kept their rhythms tight and lean, and Denny's harmonica licks were icing on the cake. More people were arriving, and it began to look as though this kickoff Wing-Off might see a good crowd after all.

Soon, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys were under way again, kicking off their second set with B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone." With some youngsters in the audience, Fat Vinny became a teacher for a moment, learnin' the young'uns that blues is what rock'n'roll came from, and then proceeding into Willie Dixon's "Hoochie Coochie Man." Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys kept it in the roots vein for their barrelhouse rendition of the Man In Black's "Folsom Prison Blues," before breaking out a Lyle Lovett number and Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Good Reason." George Thorogood's "Who Do You Love" led into a Jeff Van Clief drum solo, leading into a rendition of "Jesse James" and Wilson Pickett's ever-popular canon "Mustang Sally." The group then celebrated the Texas Trio to end their second set, doing the ZZ Top quadruple-shot of "Balinese," "La Grange," "Tube Snake Boogie" and "Tush."

The attendance at this Wing-Off seemed to grow to a decent size as the night progressed, and a healthy-sized gathering of folks had assembled in and around the stagefront picnic table area, ready to watch at Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys played their third set.

The group soon returned to the stage, resuming the music with Tom Waits’ “Make It Rain.” The group dug into the back of the rack for a Bobby Bland number, followed by Delbert McClinton’s “Every Time I Roll the Dice.” Next was Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Cold Shot” and Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up,” before Fat Vinny and company dug deep once again for Chris Isaak’s “Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing.” The group kept the audience cheering with Marshall Tucker Band’s “an’t You See,” Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House” and Robert Johnson’s “Sweet Home Chicago;” leading to the evening’s finale, the group’s fusing of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London” and Spin Doctors’ “Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong.” This closing medley of tunes drew some dancers young and old onto the stagefront lawn and gravel area.

The first 2006 Wing-Off was in the books. Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys did a good job keeping the wing-devouring hordes content, and likely turned on some new fans young and old to their brand of “the blues you can’t refuse.”

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys with guest Denny Owens play blues to eat wings to at the Wing-Off.

Denny Owens, blowing some harp.

Randy Ketner of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Once again, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys with guest Denny Owens.

Fat Vinny.

Once again, Denny Owens.

Jeff Van Clief of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Some young fans dance as Fat Vinny plays the blues.

SINNER’S PLEA/HELLBOUND HONKIES/THE MARAUDERS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 7/14/06

This night, I decided to stick close to home and catch the triple-bill at Aldo’s, featuring The Sinner’s Plea, Hellbound Honkies and The Marauders.

Again, my work duties gave me a late start, and I again missed The Sinner’s Plea. Maybe someday, I’ll catch up with this band…

I arrived at Aldo’s just before the second band of the evening, Hellbound Honkies, was set to begin. A good-sized Friday crowd was on hand at Aldo’s, and a party appeared to already be well under way.

From Pittsburgh, the Hellbound Honkies accelerated that party with their brand of high-octane, punk-fueled psychobilly. Upright bass player and singer Bobby, drummer Aaron and guitarist Matt - on loan this night from the Legendary Hucklebucks - played a feisty mix of original songs and select covers, the covers performed in the group’s fast and furious style. I didn’t catch any of the original song titles the Honkies played; but the group impressed with high-powered updates of Herman’s Hermits’ “I’m Henry the VIII I Am,” Elvis Presley’s “Little Sister,” their closing rendition of the Beatles’ “Helter Skelter” and more. The Hellbound Honkies generated an exciting, over-the-top vibe, and the Aldo’s crowd cheered rowdy approval for the group’s efforts.

Bobby of the Hellbound Honkies.

The Hellbound Honkies.

Again, Bobby of the Hellbound Honkies.

Aaron of the Hellbound Honkies.

Once again, Bobby of the Hellbound Honkies.

The Marauders then followed with their own high-powered brand of punk-fueled rockabilly. The crowd again flocked to the front of the stage as singer/guitarist Ben Dumm, upright bass player Chris Lawson and drummer Abe Weber rollicked through original favorites such as “My Revolver,” “Late Night Livin,’” “Roadkill,” “Oh My My,” “Kill Pop Radio,” “She Put a Curse On Me” and “Dead of Night.” The Marauders also did a few select remakes, performing Johnny Cash’s “Cry Cry Cry,” the Stray Cats” Rock This Town” and the Misfits’ “Astrozombies.” The group’s energy level rode at a constant high, as did the audience response, with fans raising beer bottles and drinks into the air and even singing along. At set’s end, the Aldo’s crowd yelled for an encore, even as main man Aldo was bringing up the house lights. The crowd won, and The Marauders encored with a brand new song, breaking out the tune Brian Setzer wrote for them, “We Are The Marauders.” Several couples began to sock-hop to this rowdy tune, and Aldo himself had to dodge out of the way of one couple’s wild dance moves.

This turned into a free-wheeling, punk-infused, beer-drinking rockabilly party. I thoroughly enjoyed both the Hellbound Honkies’ and The Marauders’ rousing performances, and hope to catch up to Sinner’s Plea sometime soon.

The Marauders, rocking and rolling at Aldo's.

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Abe Weber of The Marauders.

Raising some hell with Chris Lawson and the Marauders.

Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

Once again, Chris Lawson and Ben Dumm of The Marauders, with some partying fans.

CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS, STATE COLLEGE 7/15/06

It took me a while to incorporate it into my summertime routine, but the annual Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in downtown State College has become one of my favorite summertime events. I look forward to the constant live music on several stages, a variety of food, impromptu surprises here and there, and Penn State University in full summer regalia. This Saturday, I went back to enjoy it all again.

Per my usual routine, I parked my car near Penn State’s Beaver Stadium and took the free CATA shuttle bus service to downtown State College. As soon as I stepped off the bus in front of Schlow Library on East Beaver Avenue, I could hear an acoustic guitar being played only a short distance away. I quickly decided to investigate.

The music was coming from several doors away, as singer/songwriter/guitarist Jackson Monsour was performing to passers-by through a small amplifier set-up in front of Jamaica Junction. Jackson was doing Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold” with a slight reggae twist. He then introduced an actual reggae number, a version of Bob Marley’s “Don’t Rock My Boat.” A few folks applauded Jackson as they walked past, and some tossed money in his guitar case. I watched as Jackson continued with one of his own original tunes, “Everybody Needs Love.” At this point, I spoke with Jackson briefly and obtained a copy of his debut CD, Anywhere But Here; before heading on to check out more of the festival. (This initial contact led to Jackson Monsour hooking up with a “Backyard Rocker” appearance - he’ll be on the show Sunday, Sept. 17.)

Jackson Monsour, performing during Arts Festival weekend in State College.

Once again, Jackson Monsour.

I headed up to the food court area near East Foster Avenue and did a Polish platter (kielbasa, sauerkraut, pierogies and potato pancake). I noted a percussion performance taking place nearby, with several people and passers-by banging away on congas, bongos and other percussion…another of the streetcorner surprises you’re bound to see here and there at this festival.

After my meal, I headed to the Allen Street stage to catch my first look at Voxology. I’ve been aware of this group from seeing their name surface at Harrisburg area events, arts festivals and even the Millennium Music Conference; but until now had never actually seen them perform before. Within a few moments of watching their performance, though, I quickly understood why Voxology has received the attention they have. Performing as a trio, Voxology featured singer Les Vanderlin, singer/guitarist Kevin Neidig, and upright bass player Jason Hennessey. They played a variety of acoustic originals, select folk, blues and traditional numbers. Some of their selections included “Same Ol’ River” from their Under The Covers album; “Man Who Saved the World” from Kevin’s new solo album, Abstract and to the Point; a Civil War-era folk song and a version of Robert Johnson’s “Crossroads,” both featuring Kevin playing mandolin; and more. I was amazed at all aspects of Voxology’s performance, from the beautiful and lush vocals and harmonies to Kevin’s detailed, clean and precise guitar work. Voxology’s talents shined crisp and clear, and the Arts Festival crowd rewarded the group with increasingly loud cheers and approval. I enjoyed my first encounter with Voxology and their music; hopefully it won’t be my last.

Voxology, performing at the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts.

Again, Voxology.

Les Vonderlin and Kevin Neidig of Voxology.

Jason Hennessey of Voxology.

Again, Les Vonderlin and Kevin Neidig of Voxology.

Once again, Les and Kevin of Voxology; this time Kevin is playing mandolin.

One more time, Les and Kevin of Voxology.

At this point, I had a different mission I needed to fulfill. I had learned just days before that a downtown State College institution, Arboria Records, was closing up shop on July 25, after 30 years in business. I had been a fairly steady customer at Arboria dating back to my college days in the early 80’s. I would guess-timate that at least a quarter of my massive vinyl album collection arrived via that store over the years. But the changing times and technology - the proliferation of downloadable music and the advent of mp3 players and iPods - has put a hurt on CD sales. Big national CD store chains have anticipated the demise of CD sales by expanding into other product lines; however, small businesses that rely solely on CD sales like Arboria have felt the crunch, and have become endangered species. So this day, I decided to make one final visit to Arboria, and browse their shelves and bins for whatever vinyl and CD treasures I could find. I browsed through several crates of $1 vinyl albums outside the door, and then went inside and perused the $2 albums and CD bins. I checked out with 18 vinyl albums, filling in some key gaps in my Yes, .38 Special, Ten Years After and Pat Travers album collections. (I didn’t see any CD’s that compelled me to spend money on them.) I chatted with the guys at the check out and told them I’d miss Arboria, and thanked them for all the great albums over the years. So long, Arboria - the end of an era.

Now lugging two bagloads of vinyl albums, I headed up to the main stage in front of Old Main on the Penn State main campus to watch Cliff Turner & the Afterburners, already in progress. Seven members strong, this group was in the process of lighting it up with R&B favorites from the 60’s and 70’s. Bass player/namesake Cliff Turner, guitarist/singer John Phelps, drummer Donnie Rhodes, sax players Darryl Davies and Tom Gallagher, trumpet player Andy Harbison and keyboard player John Wise funked it up with renditions of KC & the Sunshine Band’s “Get Down Tonight,” the Commodores’ “Brick House,” Santana’s “Smooth,” Sam & Dave’s “Soul Man,” Average White Band’s “Pick Up the Pieces” and more. Highlights were numerous, as each member of the band was allowed to showcase his solo talents and shine at various points during the songs and set. John scorched a wild guitar solo and wah pedal fireworks during Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition,” and Darryl lit it up nicely during the set-ending singalong version of “Mustang Sally.” Cliff Turner & the Afterburners’ set was uplifting and soulful, and had the large Old Main lawn audience grooving and cheering along.

John Phelps, Cliff Turner and John Wise of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

Darryl Davies, Andy Harbison and Tom Gallagher of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

Group namesake Cliff Turner of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

John Phelps of Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

One more time, Cliff Turner & the Afterburners.

After this set, I walked a short distance to the Penn State Creamery tent to do my traditional annual Arts Festival consumption of the Creamery’s “Peachy Paterno” ice cream. After this, I returned to the Old Main stage for the next act, Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

As the name would indicate, Zydeco-A-Go-Go musically is from Louisiana; physically and geographically, they’re from Philadelphia. Six members strong, Zydeco-A-Go-Go celebrated Louisiana with zydeco favorites and standards, original tunes, New Orleans numbers and more. Some of their repertoire included Hank Williams’ “Jambalaya,” “Cajun Waltz,” “Bon Ton Roulet,” Bill Haley’s “See You Later, Alligator,” Cookie & the Cupcakes’ “Got You On My Mind,” “My Dog,” “Hot Tamale Baby,” “Marina” and more. Shortly into the set, a few folks got up and began dancing, and before long, a full-fledged zydeco dance party had erupted in front of the stage - it almost felt like Johnstown Folkfest! Zydeco-A-Go-Go was very skilled, and kept the vibes upbeat and their Louisiana grooves tight.

Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

Pete Eshelman of Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

On rubboard, Pamela Eshelman of Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

Carl Crabtree of Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

Pamela Eshelman, Randy Lippincott and Pete Eshelman of Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

Again, Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

Again, Pete Eshelman of Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

Again, Carl Crabtree of Zydeco-A-Go-Go.

A few dancers start stirring during Zydeco-A-Go-Go's set.

Zydeco-A-Go-Go's performance has become a zydeco dance party.

Late into Zydeco-A-Go-Go’s party, I departed the Old Main stage to head to the Allen Street stage early, to grab a good vantage point seat close to the stage to view the final performers of the evening, The Nightcrawlers. As I observed the group setting up, I noted a fiddle player soundchecking with the band as well - cool! Soon, with Jason Ebersole playing bass this night, the Nightcrawlers commenced with Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing,” and mesmerized the crowd with a stunning set mixing classics with original compositions. On the group’s second song, their original “Desert Sun,” the guest fiddle player, John Maryott, made his first appearance. The group continued with another of their originals, “Lover’s Test,” followed by an excellent rendition of the Police’s “Walking on the Moon,” highlighted by trade-off solo fireworks between guitarist/singer Noah Figlin and flute player Aeb Byrne. John stepped back up to play more fiddle on another Nightcrawlers original song, “Blue Silver.” The excitement level continued to escalate with Led Zeppelin’s “Ramble On,” with Noah again going to town on guitar with his best Jimmy Page pyrotechnics. Noah then introduced a new original number, “On My Way,” which started out slow but evolved into a fast-firing rockabilly-flavored number. Then it was Aeb’s turn in the spotlight, as she belted out lead voice on Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.” The cheers grew as the song progressed, and by the time Aeb’s blues howl reached peak intensity, the crowd was going wild! By this point, the seated stagefront fans began to stand up, and soon everybody was standing to cheer on the Nightcrawlers as they began their set-closing favorite, “African Echo.” This became a virtual singalong, with a number of fans singing the song’s lyrics back to the group. By song’s end, the entire Arts Festival audience was roaring approval, and a number of people were demanding an encore. The Nightcrawlers soon responded, introducing one more of their original songs, “Grasslands,” to end the night. I have seen many great performances from The Nightcrawlers, and I knew this band had evolved into one of the hottest tickets in State College - but this performance sealed the deal on both ends. This band brought their A-plus game and stunned the house with their vibrant musicality and musicianship, with a mass of humanity - fans and new observers alike - on hand to witness it all. This hour was pure electricity from start to end, and The Nightcrawlers clearly came, saw and conquered - providing an unforgettable close to my 2006 Arts Festival experience.

The Nightcrawlers commence their set at the Allen Street Stage.

Jason Ebersole of The Nightcrawlers.

Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

With guest fiddler John Maryott, The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, John Maryott.

Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, The Nightcrawlers.

Again, Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Steve Arnold of The Nightcrawlers.

Giving that guitar a workout, Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

More guitar fireworks with Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Multi-tasking on flute and keys, Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

Mesmerizing the Arts Festival crowd, The Nightcrawlers.

Belting out some Janis, Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

Once again with John Maryott on fiddle, The Nightcrawlers.

John Maryott alongside Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Part of the large contingent of fans watching The Nightcrawlers; fans were even sitting on Allen Street!

TOTEM @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 7/15/06

After The Nightcrawlers’ set ended, I pondered briefly my options for the remainder of this night. I could stick around State College and catch some of the local live music nightspot action; I could head up to the HUB Lawn to check out the annual AfterFest, or I could drive back homeward to the ‘Toona to see something there. Nothing in the State College nightspots really lured my attention this night, and AfterFest featured two local acts and Jimmy Buffett impersonator Tom Watt as headliner. I didn’t really want to hang around at the HUB Lawn until 3 AM watching a Jimmy Buffett impersonator, so I rode the shuttle bus back to my car, and drove back to Altoona. My destination upon arrival was Burgi’s Roundhouse, to catch what was left of Totem’s performance.

I arrived during the intermission just before Totem’s last set. Burgi’s was lightly populated at this point, but Burgi’s main man Chuck quickly confirmed to me that Totem was kicking ass onstage. I spoke with Chuck, Totem frontman/guitarist Perry Sheesley and John, one of Totem’s most loyal fans, and we all agreed that Altoona needed to discover this band A.S.A.P.

Totem then went on to prove why they were worthy of audience attention on this side of the mountain, blazing through a set of smoking classic rock covers. Perry, keyboard man Gene Suto, bassist Paul Lanzendorfer and drummer Tom Gajewski kicked off with Golden Earring’s “Radar Love,” before shifting Southern with the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post,” with Perry displaying some scorching lead guitarwork. Totem then did Derek & the Dominoes’ “Layla,” with Perry and Gene both shining with stellar solo work. The group then did a remarkable job on Van Morrison’s “Tupelo Honey,” performed with amazing skill, and Gene’s keys providing a tasty underscore. Next was a rendition of Deep Purple’s “Hush,” before totem dug deep for a John Mayall number. Perry then announced one more song to finish out the night, their blues-rocking original song “Real Good Feelin.’”

It was just one set, but it clearly showed Totem’s instrumental skill, soul and passion. Their presentation was strong and sturdy, showing good balance between Perry’s guitar and Gene’s keys, anchored by Paul’s full bass work and Tom’s steady beats. Although there weren’t a lot of people present, the consensus was favorable towards Totem’s strong, quality performance.

What I saw was impressive, and reminded me that Totem is again a classic rocking powerhouse worthy of attention on both the Altoona and Johnstown sides of the mountain.

Totem, lighting it up onstage at Burgi's.

Again, Totem.

Gene Suto of Totem.

Paul Lanzendorfer of Totem.

Again, Gene Suto of Totem.

Perry Sheesley of Totem.

Once again, Totem.

Again, Paul Lanzendorfer of Totem.

Again, Perry Sheesley of Totem.

One more time, Totem.

Perry Sheesley of Totem, Chuck from Burgi's and one of Totem's loyal fans, John.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES “BLUES CRUISE” @ LAKE RAYSTOWN 7/16/06

It was the perfect setting for a summertime party on Lake Raystown; a weather forecast for maximum sunshine and daytime temperatures reaching near 90, and Hurricanes descending on the lake to Blues Cruise aboard the Proud Mary. Although I had live guests scheduled on Q94’s “Backyard Rocker” this Sunday, I knew this was too good a party to miss - I was there!

“Backyard Rocker” preparation work at the station delayed me from arriving at the pre-Cruise picnic until an hour before boat departure time at 4:30. Most of the food had already been put away, but some goodies were dug out of the vehicles for me to enjoy before boarding the boat. Soon, the entourage of Guv’nor Jesse, Long Tall Jim, Aric the Adventurer, Betty and Shawn arrived. With the Blues Cruise already sold out, it was uncertain if these late arrivals would be able to board. But thanks to Hurricane Felix and the boat’s captain, the entourage was granted approval to board and be part of the party.

Shortly after 4:30, the Proud Mary left dock, and the party was under way! On the top deck, Felix & the Hurricanes commenced their set of good time classic rock, blues and original tunes, while Hurricaniacs and revelers countered the heat and humidity with supersoakers and beer on tap. Ladies were busting their best dance moves in front of the Hurricanes as they performed favorites from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ted Nugent, Badfinger, John Mellencamp, Blackfoot, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Grateful Dead and more.

Since this Blues Cruise was sold out, the Hurricanes decided to sweeten this party by inviting some special guests along - Wood-n-Strings, who performed inside on the lower deck for revelers who wanted to stay out of the sun. I caught the latter portion of their set, as Jeremy Nelson and Dwane Edmiston finished with acoustic renditions of the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” Jimi Hendrix’s “Crosstown Traffic” and Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold.”

Back up on the top deck, the party continued with more Hurricanes rock and roll, brews, supersoakers, friendship and more. As the Cruise reached its latter stages, some guests joined the ‘Canes, including frequent flyer guest singer Loren Johnson, who crooned renditions of Bonnie Raitt’s “Something to Talk About” and Journey’s “Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin,’” and the aforementioned Wood-n-Strings, contributing additional guitar muscle to Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “Blue on Black” and Grand Funk Railroad’s “I’m Your Captain.”

Other highlights along the way included the Met Life blimp passing overhead during the Cruise, and a group of young divers plunging off a large rock outcropping and into Lake Raystown.

The Proud Mary pulled back into dock at 6:30. As I had to return to Q94 to accommodate my “Backyard Rocker” guests, I quickly departed the boat while the Hurricanes’ party continued on the top deck. I understand a couple of revelers jumped off the boat and into the drink after I departed.

Needless to say, it was an excellent time, one of those unmitigated good times that defines what summer fun is all about. Hats off to Felix & the Hurricanes for giving back to their fans by throwing parties like this one aboard the Proud Mary. The group was pleasantly overwhelmed by the response to this Blues Cruise, enough so that the group was looking into doing a possible sequel in August.

For those who missed this party, here is some rough digital video shot during the heat of the Blues Cruise:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV08739.MPG

Hurricane Felix entertains during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

Ladies dance on the top deck in front of Felix & the Hurricanes.

More dancing during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

Again, Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

It's a party on the top deck during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

More partying during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

Hurricaniacs and supersoakers.

More partying on the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

Part of the Blues Cruise entourage: Shawn, Guv'nor Jesse, Aric, Betty and Jim.

On the lower deck, Wood-n-Strings.

Jeremy Nelson of Wood-n-Strings.

Guest Loren Johnson belts some voice during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

More Raystown revelry during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

Official Blues Cruise videographer, Zappa.

Hurricane Felix awaits a shot from the supersoaker during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

Along the way, we observed some cliff divers along Lake Raystown.

Supersoakers were in abundance during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

Jeremy Nelson and Dwane Edmiston - Wood-n-Strings - join in with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Dwane Edmiston and a dancer during the Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

The top deck party continues.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Once again, Hurricane Jeff.

After the Proud Mary returns to dock, the Blues Cruise party continues.

Jim, Aric, Jesse, Betty and Shawn continue the celebrating from the lower deck of the Proud Mary.

More Blues Cruisin' aboard the Proud Mary.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 7/16/06

Not yet Hurricanes out this day, I decided to end up my weekend by catching some more Hurricanes revelry, this time at their weekly Sunday night Hitching Post party.

Although I had hoped to drag my “Backyard Rocker” guests, Bloomsburg’s Dave Blackledge and Dan Greak, along for the party, both musicians had to return back home that night, and thus I arrived solo close to the midnight mark. A good-sized crowd populated the Post, as the Hurricanes were again churning out their classic and blues rock mix. By the group’s own admission, they were dragging at this point because of the previous partying earlier in the day and their long and busy weekend; still, the Hurricanes made it count on renditions of tunes from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tommy Tutone, Pat Travers, Dr. Hook, Fleetwood Mac and more. The group did a number of original tunes, including “Such a Fool,” “Cut That Line,” “Black Widow,” “Issues,” “Backyard Rocker Rocks” and more. Other highlights included their jam session treatment of Ted Nugent’s “Free For All;” and for the finale, a funk medley featuring “Standing on Shaky Ground,” “Do the Hustle,” “Brickhouse,” “Superstition” and more. Again, Hurricaniacs of the female persuasion were on their feet and cutting rug in front of the band, and more good times were being had. It likely used up every last bit of energy these Hurricanes had to offer this night, but the good vibes and smiles on their fans’ faces made it all worth it

The Hurricanes festivities continue indoors at the Hitching Post..

JP’S HAIKU

Hurricanes Blues Cruise
Music, friends, beer, sun and fun
Lake Raystown party

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1