· The Final Cut
Legislative review of Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
Brian of the Clan Plush
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Sep 12, 2006 

First, I apologize if this has already been pointed out...I haven't been on in awhile and can't dedicate the time to review 6 months of threads...

I just came upon a review of the PA Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement conducted by the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee of the PA General Assembly (this is the investigative/research arm similar to the federal GAO that investigates issues of state government that are of interest to legislators.

The report was released in June 2006, and can be found at:
http://lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/factsheets/2006/381%20PSP_BLCE.pdf

Its over 200 pages, and focuses alot on the problems inherent in moving enforcement from the PLCB to the PA State Police (which I'm sure was the primary reason for the LBFC's assignment to this issue.)

Of particular interest is the listing of citations issued by each BLCE Regional Office on pages 59 and 60. Note that the Altoona regional office (which includes State College as well) issued more citations for noise violations than any other offense, including anything related to sales to minors or other actual alcohol-related offenses. This is true in both 2004 and 2005 (the two years addressed by the report). Its also interesting that the Altoona region issues more noise violations (almost twice as many in both years) than the Pittsburgh region, which has FOUR TIMES the number of licensees.

Aside from providing more fodder for arguments in favor of addressing the noise violation regulations, this report may generate more proposed legislation to amend the PA Liquor Code, which would provide a better opportunity to insert the new noise violation language you all have worked so hard to craft. I have alot of experience with state and federal legislation, and I think it will be easier to piggyback on another bill that already has widespread support (such as one to address the placement of liquor enforcement responsibilities, as proposed in the report) than to attempt to get your own legislation introduced dealing with an issue thats not very important to most legislators.

again....sorry if this is old news

keep fighting the good fight!
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Sep 14, 2006 

Thanks for the update, Brian.

This is something else we can discuss and consider as we reconvene P.A.C.A.G. this fall.

P.A.C.A.G.'ers, I propose we schedule a meeting for sometime in October, to review recent developments pertaining to PLCB noise enforcement such as Brian listed above, as well as plot our future courses of action, consider the upcoming November elections as they pertain to the PLCB, and more. Now that outdoor activity is starting to slow down and things are heading back indoors, it would be a good time to reconvene P.A.C.A.G. and get the ball rolling again.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: