· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 7/24/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Sep 20, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 7/24/06

SMOKIN’ JOE & THE WILD HORSE BAND @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 7/20/06

Some mystery surrounded the entertainment at this week's Lakemont Park Wing-Off. No Rockpage bands were advertising a Wing-Off appearance this week, and my research of band websites to unveil the Wing-Off performers proved fruitless. I guess I would just have to find out who was playing when I arrived.

As I approached the entry gate to the Wing-Off, I detected country music coming from the stage. After procuring wing and beer tokens and passing by the stage, I quickly realized who this week's band was - Dubois country favorites Smokin' Joe & the Wild Horse Band; obviously the Wing-Off's musical flavor would be country this week. I procured my initial wings and brew from Gianni's in Hollidaysburg (I did the ranch and hot wings, both very good), and claimed a picnic table vantage point to watch the band.

Smokin' Joe Meholick and his Wild Horse Band played a blend of original country songs and country favorites. Some selections during the first set included versions of Alan Jackson's "Don't Rock the Jukebox," Brad Paisley's "Alcohol," Merle Haggard's "Legend of Bonnie & Clyde" and John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads." The group also did several songs from Smokin' Joe's latest album, American Made, including "No One Loves Here Anymore;" and a song from his first CD, Time Will Tell, "Fishin' Hole." Smokin' Joe & the Wild Horse Band were just hitting their stride towards the end of the first set when some threatening rain clouds started emptying their contents on the Lakemont Park environs, sending audience members and wing connoisseurs for cover under the pavilions. The rain grew heavier during the intermission, but soon died back and moved on by the time the group was ready to start its second set.

The crowd fortunately stuck around, and soon surfaced as the rains subsided, and as Smokin' Joe & the Wild Horse Band commenced their second set with Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues." This segued into "Orange Blossom Special," with lead guitarist Russ Reagart switching over to fiddle and dazzling the Wing-Off crowd with his heated display. The group then performed Hank Jr.'s "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight," before Joe introduced another song from American Made, "Beer Bottle Brown." The group again mixed original songs and country favorites, doing songs from Toby Keith, Garth Brooks, also country-tinged rock and roll from Creedence Clearwater Revival, Roy Orbison and Georgia Satellites.

Smokin' Joe & the Wild Horse Band were in good form thus far. Namesake Joe Meholick himself displayed a strong, sturdy voice and confident, proud presentation as the group's center of attention. His support cast – the aforementioned Russ Reagart, rhythm guitarist Denny Iorfida, bassist Jamie Marsden, keyboard player Cindy McMurray, and drummer Dave Simmons – was tight on their instruments, and could carry a tune when called upon to do so. Jamie, Cindy and Denny all got to sing lead at certain points during the second set.

Soon, the group was ready to kick off their final set of the evening. Smokin’ Joe & the Wild Horse Band went old-school country to open this set, performing Waylon Jennings’ “Luckenbach, Texas,” Willie Nelson’s “Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys” and Hank Williams Sr.’s “Good Hearted Woman.” Cindy McMurray then took the spotlight to sing lead on renditions of Patsy Cline’s “Walking After Midnight” and Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally;” before the group finished up with Van Morrison’s “Brown-Eyed Girl” and the Bellamy Brothers/Kentucky Headhunters’ “Redneck Girl.”

Despite the brief rain deluge, this second installment of the Lakemont Park Wing-Off turned out to be a good time. The Wing-Off audience seemed receptive to Smokin’ Joe & the Wild Horse Band’s country sounds, and the group’s strong performance likely won them some new Altoona area fans this night.

Russ Reagart of Smokin’ Joe & the Wild Horse Band.

A young fan dances to Smokin’ Joe & the Wild Horse Band.

Again, a young fan enjoys a wing and Smokin’ Joe & the Wild Horse Band.

Smokin’ Joe Meholick.

Smokin’ Joe & the Wild Horse Band.

Cindy McMurray of Smokin’ Joe & the Wild Horse Band.

Denny Iorfida of Smokin’ Joe & the Wild Horse Band.

JERRY’S FAULT @ WESTOVER DAYS, WESTOVER 7/21/06

As I plotted my live music itinerary for this Friday evening, it occurred to me that I hadn’t spent enough quality time in Westover lately. I actually had reason to visit this booming metropolis this night – Jerry’s Fault was performing at the annual Westover Days celebration. I figured I’d be in for an evening of good acoustic tunes, festival food and fun.

I headed north on Route 36 to Westover (about 50 minutes from Altoona), and had to look hard to locate anything resembling a festival. But I did find Westover Days, happening at a recreational field near the heart of town. Wall to wall people and long lines would not be a problem this night; perhaps 50 people tops were in attendance when I arrived. I procured some pork barbecue and fries, and headed in the direction of the music to the performance pavilion where Jerry’s Fault was under way.

Acoustic guitarists Jerry Carnevali (I guess it’s his fault) and Denny Pompa, and acoustic bassist Ken Pompa were performing Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “Blue On Black” as I arrived, and proceeded to play a variety of acoustic rock’n’roll from the 60’s to present. I enjoyed their diverse song selection, as the trio did renditions of the Gin Blossoms’ “Found Out About You,” the Byrds’ “My Back Pages,” the Eagles’ “Tequila Sunrise,” Toad the Wet Sprocket’s “Fall Down” (it had been ages since I heard that one), Pure Prairie League’s “Amie,” Green Day’s “Boulevard of Broken Dreams,” the Guess Who’s “No Sugar Tonight,” Poco’s “Crazy Love” and more. The trio also broke out one original tune while I was there, Ken’s ballad “The Tearjerker.”

Jerry’s Fault’s performance sounded solid; all three members can sing, and these guys frequently delivered 2- and 3-part harmonies along the way. Their mood was relaxed and cordial; and with the small audience comprised of families, friends and bandmates from the Billy & the Inmates organization, this was a pleasant, laid-back good time.

The only negative of the whole evening was the mosquitos. The pavilion was located just a few feet from Chest Creek, and as darkness descended, the mosquitos ascended and put the bite down on any exposed skin – I wore shorts this night, damn! Who would have thought I might get West Nile from Westover?

In any case, bloodsucking insects notwithstanding, my roadtrip to see Jerry’s fault was a good time, and this trio offers up quality acoustic sounds worth checking out.

Jerry’s Fault entertains at Westover Days.

Again, Jerry’s Fault entertains at Westover Days.

One more time, it's Jerry’s Fault.

TIE DOWN @ MAGOO’S, CRESSON 7/21/06

After departing Westover, I headed to Magoo’s in Cresson to check in with Tie Down.

I arrived to find a good-sized crowd in the house. Obviously, this band has quickly amassed a good following in the relatively short time they’ve been actively playing on live stages. I also soon learned that there was an opening band that I had just missed, Spirit Lost.

I didn’t have to wait long for Tie Down to hit the stage. Singer Scott Walk, guitarists Brett O’Donnell and Tim Eckenrode, bassist/keyboardist Craig Fitzpatrick and drummer Jason Grodis kicked off with Lenny Kravitz’s “Are You Gonna Go My Way,” and proceeded to rock the house with hard-edged rock from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. The group had a guest, Brenda Smithbower, who assisted with backing vocals through much of the night. During their first set, Tie Down quickly triggered action on Magoo’s dance floor with tunes from Ace Frehley, Georgia Satellites, Doors, Tommy Tutone, Poison, Billy Idol, Duran Duran, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more. Towards set’s end, another guest – Brett’s and Scott’s former bandmate, Eric Biter – helped with backing vocals on the set-ending rendition of “Sweet Home Alabama.”

The crowd remained through the intermission, and instantly repopulated Magoo’s dance floor when Tie Down launched into Dead Or Alive’s “You Spin Me (Like a Record)” to open the nightcap set. Tie Down kept it in the 80’s vein for Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax;” before Eric Biter returned to the stage to front toe group on Alice In Chains’ “Man in the Box.” After renditions of the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party)” and Twisted Sister’s “I Wanna Rock,” Eric returned, this time strapping on the bass to provide bottom end on Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Night” and Stone Temple Pilots’ “Crackerman.” Tie Down kept the dance floor rocking with Judas Priest’s “You’ve Got Another Thing Coming,” Guns’N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine” and Black Sabbath’s “N.I.B.” to end the night.

Not so fast…This Magoo’s crowd wasn’t about to call it a night yet, and quickly demanded more. Tie Down soon put their instruments back on and encored with a Metallica double-shot, stringing together “Enter Sandman” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls.” Still not done yet, the crowd demanded more; after a little more coaxing this time, Tie Down returned to give the people one more song, Iron Maiden’s “Run to the Hills.” Night over.

Overall, Tie Down provided a stronger showing this night, and has tightened up nicely since their first Magoo’s show I witnessed earlier this year. Instrumentally they were more on the mark, vocally they were stronger, and they didn’t battle the technical issues that plagued that earlier performance. And the presence of a rowdy audience and guests like Eric Biter only added to the furvor, turning this show into a rip-roaring, hard-rocking good time. This night confirmed to me that this band is coming along just fine, and that Tie Down is emerging into a capable hard-rocking party unit perfect for your Saturday night misadventure.

Scott Walk of Tie Down.

Tim Eckenrode of Tie Down with guest Eric Biter.

Tie Down with guest Eric Biter.

Tim Eckenrode of Tie Down.

Again, Tim Eckenrode of Tie Down with guest Eric Biter.

Tie Down, with Eric Biter playing bass.

Again, Scott Walk of Tie Down.

Craig Fitzpatrick of Tie Down.

Brett O’Donnell of Tie Down.

Scott Walk and Brett O’Donnell of Tie Down.

A couple of happy ladies whoop it up during Tie Down’s party at Magoo’s.

5TH ANNUAL PA SINGER/SONGWRITER FESTIVAL @ BROOKMERE PARK FARM, LEWISBURG 7/22-7/23/06

Most of this weekend I spent in the Lewisburg vicinity, at Brookmere Park Farm, a bed and breakfast facility and plaza; the site of the 5th annual PA Singer-Songwriter Festival.

Bloomsburg-based singer and songwriter Dave Blackledge started this event five years ago to give independent singer-songwriters a setting to showcase their music and expand a fan base, as well as enable musicians to network, gig-swap and more. I attended this event for the first time last year at a campground site near Lewisburg; this year’s location, on the western side of the Susquehanna River from Lewisburg and right along Route 45, was even closer and more convenient for me to attend, so I was there!

Pennsylvania Musician deadline duties delayed the start of my roadtrip this day, and coupled with rainy conditions, I didn’t arrive at Brookmere Park Farm until 5 PM, well into the first day of performers. I had missed some names I wanted to see, such as Bret Alexander (The Badlees), K8, Hannah Bingman and more. But there were still several names yet to perform as I arrived, plus the whole Sunday schedule of performers as well.

As it was still lightly raining as I arrived, I staked out a location for my folding chair under the shelter of a large tree a short distance from the stage. It was an intermission between performers, and soon show emcee Dave Blackledge stepped up and introduced the next act, the duo of Ray and Bert.

Initially, it was Ray – nicknamed “Ray-zar” – taking the stage. Later on in the weekend when I spoke with him, I learned that Ray (I never did get his last name) was a former member of Trick Bag, a prominent regional band during the late 80’s. Ray had stepped away from music for a little while, getting back into playing only recently, in part due to this very event, the PA Singer-Songwriter Festival. Ray started off with several bluesy and rural-flavored numbers, including a rendition of Randy Newman’s “Louisiana 1927.” The other half of the duo, Bert Railing, soon joined Ray onstage. The two continued, with Bert playing acoustic guitar and Ray switching to fiddle. The duo performed a version of Lamont Dozier’s “How Sweet It Is,” followed by a bluegrass number, “Miss Me When I’m Gone.” This song began with both musicians strumming acoustics, before Ray again donned the fiddle midway through and delivered some scorching fiddle solo work! Next was Jonny Lang’s “Still Rainin,’” before the duo dedicated the Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See” in memory of the late regional musician David Rose. Ray unleashed another stunning fiddle solo display to close out this number. Ray and Bert then closed out their set with two original tunes, “One Thin Line” and “The Same Game.”

Singing and strumming, Ray-zar.

Ray-zar and Bert Railing.

Bert Railing.

Ray-zar dons a fiddle.

Once again, Ray-zar and Bert.

Up next was little bit of comedy, courtesy of aspiring Scranton-based comedian Chris Romig. I’ll give Chris credit, he tried. He seemed to be basing his presentation solely on ad-libbing, using cues from the audience to try to piece together his routine. Without much of an audience looking on at this point, though, it was a slow go. Chris did deliver a couple of funny moments, referencing advice about not peeing in one’s corduroys, and dubbing show host Dave Blackledge – decked in a bright orange PA Singer-Songwriter Festival T-shirt – “The Great Pumpkin.”

The Great Pumpkin, Dave Blackledge.

More music then followed, with Beavertown-based musician Charles Marciano taking the stage. Chuck performed acoustic blues, with a sound somewhat reminiscent of Canned Heat. Chuck introduced a rendition of Bob Dylan’s “Drifter’s Escape” to open the set, and continued with T-Bone Walker’s “Mean Old World,” where Chuck demonstrated some bottleneck slide guitar talents. He then did two blues numbers popularized by Led Zeppelin, “Travelling Riverside Blues” and “In My Time of Dying,” before ending his brief set with one of his own compositions, “The Other Side of Your Heart.” Chuck showed some nice guitar ability, and gave his blues-geared song selection a basic, stripped-down approach.

Chuck Marciano.

Again, Chuck Marciano.

Dave Blackledge then introduced the next performer, Philadelphia’s Wayne Hsu. Wayne’s style and sound was a bit of a departure from what I had seen so far. Wayne played a brand of acoustic lounge-flavored pop, reminiscent of the early- to mid-60’s. Wayne’s singing voice displayed a little bit of falsetto reminiscent of Frankie Valli, and his musical style recalled artists like Tony Bennett, Burt Bacharach or B.J. Thomas. In fact, Wayne even did a B.J. Thomas tune, “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.” He also did several of his own numbers, such as “Getting Dizzy,” “The Rooster Song,” “You’re All I Need” and more. Wayne’s performance reminded me of how long it has been since actual ‘pop’ songs were a mainstream attraction. His style was an interesting departure, both from today’s music and also what is usually the norm for acoustic music. Catchy and interesting.

Wayne Hsu.

Next up was a duo called Jim Dandy. Based in Middleburg, Jim Dandy performed a mixture of acoustic blues during their short set. Their selections leaned a little more obscure; among the songs they performed were Elmore James’ “Stranger Blues” and a Guy Davis number.

Jim Dandy.

Again, Jim Dandy.

The final performer of the festival’s first day was Earl Pickens. Recently relocated to the Lewisburg area from the Big Apple, Earl sang and played guitar, assisted by Jessie on backing vocals and Frank on lap steel. Earl performed a country-flavored brand of folk, delivered with personality and a sense of humor. In between offering free donuts to a few youngsters in attendance, Earl performed a selection of his original songs, including “Moon, You Know Why,” “High Wind,” “Move to Tears,” “You Can Always Try Crying,” “New York Woman,” “Up to No Good,” “It Rains on Them” and more. Earl’s tunes were catchy, and at least a few times he and Jessie teamed up for some nice harmonies. Earl displayed some quick and sly wit along the way, cracking one-liners as he introduced his songs. Earl Pickens was a clear hit with the audience, and one of the weekend’s highlights for me.

With Jessie helping with backing vocals, Earl Pickens.

Earl Pickens, with guests Jessie and Frank.

This closed the first day of the PA Singer-Songwriter Festival. Although I knew beforehand that I had overnight accommodations courtesy of the show organizers, I didn’t learn until this point that I’d actually be staying in the host facility, the Brookmere Farm Inn bed and breakfast. This would mark my first time ever staying at a bed-and-breakfast. It was only 9 PM when the Festival finished for the day, and I didn’t know of any live music happenings other than a coffeehouse in nearby Lewisburg this night. So for the first time in a long, long time, I actually stayed in on a Saturday night, and slept. The bed at the bed-and-breakfast was comfy, and since the week leading up to this weekend was hectic, I slept for some 11 hours! Man, that felt good!

After awakening on Sunday morning, I showered and headed outside to enjoy donuts under the sound tent with Dave Blackledge, Dan Greak, “Ray-zar” and Chuck Marciano. I then took a little stroll around the Brookmere Farm grounds; it was a farm, after all, so I watched a huge flock of ducks and geese, a goat, and a curious rooster who cautiously did some exploring around the stage area. Some people began showing up, including a number of the folks who had attended the previous day. Although still not a big crowd by any means, at least there would be enough onlookers on this pleasant summer day to give the day’s scheduled performers an audience.

Some Brookmere Farm residents take a Sunday morning stroll.

Some Brookmere Farms water fowl.

Another Brookmere Farms resident.

Yours truly during the second day of the PA Singer-Songwriter Festival.

Yours truly with show co-organizer Dan Greak.

A chicken checks out the concert grounds.

As the noon hour arrived, show organizer Dave Blackledge got the honor of testing the sound system for any gremlins that might have arrived overnight. Dave performed five of his own humorous original songs; “If I Was a Cow, I’d Be Mad Too,” “Your Butt’s Too Fat to Dance Like That,” “I Blew Up My Date,” “Double PMS Blues” and “Whoops, I Pooped My Pants.” Dave got some chuckles from the still-awakening audience, while Dan Greak fine-tuned the sound mix and accompanied Dave with some occasional harmonica from behind the sound board.

Initiating the sound system on Day 2, show host/organizer Dave Blackledge.

Again, Dave Blackledge.

Blowing harp from behind the sound board, Dan Greak.

Next up was another local performer, Chris Whitmer, who introduced several simple and basic acoustic folk-rock songs. Some of Chris’ compositions this day included “Sleeping Bag,” “No Valentines,” “Like Me,” “Two-Thirteen,” “Savior” and “The Lake.”

Chris Whitmer.

Again, Chris Whitmer.

A performer from the previous day, Bert Railing, then took the stage to do three numbers; among them, an acoustic rendition of Alice Cooper’s “Be My Lover,” and Dan Fogelberg’s “Morning Sky.”

Bert Railing.

The first officially-scheduled act of the day was next, Philadelphia-based singer, songwriter and guitarist Shane Zack. Shane mixed up original songs with several select remakes, delivering it all with drive and a sharp, gritty and passion-filled voice. Shane performed several selections from his CD, Ignorance and Innocence; including “Falling Down,” “Average Guy,” “Sins of One” and “The Passion.” He also did his own stylings on renditions of Otis Redding’s “Sittin’ On The Dock of the Bay,” The Verve’s “Bittersweet Symphony” and Led Zeppelin’s “Hey Hey What Can I Do.” Shane demonstrated energy and intensity in his performance, and his brand of driving acoustic music drew good applause from the onlookers.

Philadelphia’s Shane Zack.

Again, Shane Zack.

One more time, Shane Zack.

Taking the stage next was another of the previous day’s performers, Chuck Marciano. As he did earlier, Chuck tapped into early blues. He began with Blind Willie Johnson’s “Nobody’s Fault But Mine,” and also did Robert Johnson’s “Me and the Devil Blues” and “Crossroads,” “Mean Old World,” Pete Townshend’s “Let My Love Open the Door” and more.

Making his return, Chuck Marciano.

Next was another local performer, John Seymour. John performed Christian folk, and did two songs; in between relating a story of how God healed his hearing problems. He filled the gap leading up to the next scheduled performer of the afternoon, Denise Barbarita.

John Seymour.

Denise was one of my big discoveries from last year’s Festival. As she did last year, Denise again performed her edgy and sharp brand of modern folk, singing songs about life in the big city (New York City, her home base), people and their idiosyncrasies, her views on the world and more. Accompanied by Rich Kosar on conga, Denise sang such songs as “Only For My Sake,” “Happy Happy,” “Today’s Too Late,” “He Said She Said,” “Hush Hush” and “Fractured.” She also introduced two new numbers, “Suckers” and “A Stupid Game” (about religious wars and the hypocrisy of fighting in God’s name); and she closed out her set with a rendition of Todd Rundgren’s “Hello It’s Me.” I was again impressed with Denise’s presentation; her voice was strong, emotional and rangeful; and she delivered her material in a cordial, conversational manner, spiced with a slight touch of wit along the way. Denise was again a hit with the Festival audience, and she impressed me enough to purchase two of her CD’s before the end of the festival.

Denise Barbarita.

Again, Denise Barbarita.

Rich Kosar and Denise Barbarita.

Helping with percussion, Rich Kosar.

Again, Denise Barbarita.

Again, Rich Kosar and Denise Barbarita.

Another New York City performer followed Denise, Kelsey Warren. Kelsey prefaced his set by explaining that he was in a band called Pillow Theory, and that his songs would be solo adaptations of songs he did in that group, which he described as being a bit harder-edged. As his set unfolded, Kelsey’s style leaned towards punk, with his chaotic guitar tones underscoring his more agitated style. I didn’t catch too many of Kelsey’s song titles other than one of his Pillow Theory tunes, “Sludge;” he also introduced “Heaven” and his closing number, “I’m Going Crazy.” Kelsey offered a more jagged slant to the afternoon, and also received a favorable response from the audience.

Kelsey Warren.

Next was a more familiar face to regional stages, Lewistown’s Rhyne McCormick. Rhyne showcased his brand of melodic, acoustic folk rock/pop, performing a number of songs from his latest album, Soul Dust. Rhyne opened with the title song, and also performed “How Long,” “Out Of Love,” “5104,” “Say You Loved Me,” “Train” and “Girl Turned” from the album. Rhyne also introduced two new songs, “I Love My World” and an untitled number he closed the set with; both should be on his next album, which he said he hopes to issue in 2007. Rhyne’s presentation was warm and friendly, and his pleasant vibe again drew a nice response from the festival audience.

Here is some video from Rhyne's performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV08747.MPG

Rhyne McCormick.

Again, Rhyne McCormick.

One more time, Rhyne McCormick.

Festival organizer and emcee Dave Blackledge then introduced an aspiring young songwriter, Corey Conrad. Corey has been writing songs for two years, and has recently recorded some material at Saturation Acres in Danville. Corey sang two of his creations. On the first, “Away From It All,” he sang along with a demo CD featuring his backing band performing the music. Corey strapped on a guitar and played the second song, “Nothing,” acoustic. Corey displayed a good voice, and his songs sounded solid. This setting provided a supportive platform for this young songwriter to stage-test his creations in front of some more experienced songwriting peers.

Corey Conrad.

Next was a repeat performance by Jim Dandy. I learned that this band was actually a trio, but their harmonica player was on the mend from injuries suffered in a motorcycle crash. As they did the previous day, the other two members of Jim Dandy (I didn’t catch their name) performed a blend of blues and folk rock. Some of their selections this time included renditions of the traditional tunes “Deep River Blues” and “Railroad Bill;” also The Band’s “The Weight,” John Prine’s “Paradise,” and an uptempo boogie read of Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.”

Returning for Day 2, Jim Dandy.

An interesting and entertaining change of pace was next, as Dave Blackledge introduced another local performer, Jim Wetzel. Jim did a selection of novelty and comedy songs from years past. He opened with Lonzo & Oxcar’s “I’m My Own Grandpa” (which eventually became Grandpa Jones’ signature tune); he also did songs such as “Don’t Pet the Dog,” Bobby Braddock’s “I Lobster But Never Flounder,” his own original comedy song “Dead Guy in the Ditch” and more. Jim kept a straight face while delivering his pun- and innuendo-laced funny song material, and his comic timing and emphasis drew frequent laughs from the small festival audience. Jim Wetzel’s musical comic relief added a welcome twist to the PA Singer-Songwriter Festival.

Bringing a touch of humor to the Festival, Jim Wetzel.

Again, Jim Wetzel.

Two more performers from the previous day, the duo of Bert Railing and Ray-zar, then returned to the stage. The duo mixed original songs with classic rock and blues, with Ray again multi-tasking between acoustic guitar and fiddle. Ray started things off solo, doing the original tunes “Ain’t Been Drinking Quite Enough,” “Blue Jean Baby” and “I’m Still In Love With You” (about his ex), as well as renditions of the Allman Brothers’ “Midnight Rider” and more. Bert then joined Ray for renditions of the Eagles’ “Midnight Flyer,” the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil” and Dave Mason/Joe Cocker’s “Feelin’ Alright.” Ray again demonstrated stunning fiddle work, especially at the end of “Feelin’ Alright” – excellent!

Again, Ray-zar.

Once again, Ray-zar.

Again, Ray-zar and Bert.

Once again, Ray-zar and Bert.

Both strumming acoustic guitars, Ray-zar and Bert.

Ray-zar plays some more hot fiddle.

The afternoon was growing late, and there was time for one more act to close out the festival. Two earlier performers, Denise Barbarita and Kelsey Warren, teamed up to finish the day. The pair performed several selections, including original songs from both artists’ catalogs, plus a version of Led Zeppelin’s “That’s The Way.” Both performers blended their talents well, and joked and quipped between themselves and the audience to bring the festival to a pleasant and upbeat close.

Kelsey Warren, Denise Barbarita and Rich Kosar.

Again, Kelsey, Denise and Rich.

As expected, it was an enjoyable and relaxing weekend of music at the PA Singer-Songwriter Festival. The most rewarding aspect of this event for me was observing how each performer’s distinct musical personality, style and slant surfaced during each performance. Yes, most all of these performers played acoustic guitars, sang and wrote songs. But all of them were distinct and different; each with a unique style and angle to their music. It was fun and interesting to watch it all unfold. And while the advertised performers were obviously gifted and talented in their music and song creations, I was also impressed by the local performers and their talents, especially Bert and Ray-zar, Jim Wetzel and Chuck Marciano.

Hats off to organizers Dave Blackledge and Dan Greak for again staging this event. Although attendance has never been blockbuster during this event’s five-year history, Dave and Dan continue to provide this setting for aspiring independent singers and songwriters to get their music out and in front of potential new fans, and to network with one another to share stages and audiences. A lot of positive things happened over these two days; new friends were made, good music was heard and discovered, and good times were had. I plan to be back next year!

THE RUSTLANDERS @ ZENO’S, STATE COLLEGE 7/23/06

After the PA Singer-Songwriter Festival wound down, I did supper in the Lewisburg area (The Country Cupboard on Route 15 just north of town serves a kickass all-you-can-eat buffet!), and started homeward. I knew that The Rustlanders were playing at Zeno’s in State College this Sunday night, and since Happy Valley was on my way home, I stopped by to check it out.

I discovered as the group took the stage for their first set that The Rustlanders had slimmed to a foursome since the first time I saw them last year; pedal steel player Dr. Dave Mudgett was not with them this night. Singer/acoustic guitarist Jason McIntyre, drummer/singer Chris Rattie, bassist/singer Corry Drake and electric guitarist Jason Tutwiler introduced the mid-sized Zeno’s audience to their brand of Americana, blues, country and rock. The group played many original songs with a few select remakes thrown in along the way. I didn’t catch many of the titles the group did this night; during the first set, some of the numbers included “Shooting Stars and Whiskey Bottles,” “Don’t Let It Bring You Down,” a rendition of “See See Rider” and more. The Rustlanders’ stylistic range varied from country twang to Band/Bad Company-like folk/blues rock, to country blues to a harder Neil Young vibe. The group was strong on all fronts; instrumentally tight and versatile, and demonstrating good voices and harmonies.

During the first intermission, I spoke with Jason McIntyre, who updated me on Rustlanders happenings. The group has been on the road and spreading their sound, recently doing shows in Chicago and St. Louis; a trip to New York City was on the horizon. Jason also explained that Dave Mudgett’s departure from the group was a friendly one, and brought about by the group’s increased traveling. Jason added that Dave still sits in with the group from time to time during local shows in the State College area. And I was told that the Rustlanders were preparing to enter the recording studio in the fall to begin work on their debut album.

The Rustlanders soon began their second set, once again blending elements of country, folk, rock and blues into a hybrid Americana sound. Some of the songs featured in their set included the slower and tranquil “Shenandoah Sunrise,” the funkier-edged “Route 251,” “What You Say,” a version of Gram Parsons’ “She” and more. Again the group showed good voices, as Jason McIntyre and Chris split lead singing duties, and the group’s harmonies were again on the mark.

For a Sunday night in mid summer, Zeno’s was doing good business, with steady traffic in and out of the venue to see the band or grab some food or drink. And although most of the Rustlanders’ repertoire was original or obscure song material, a lot of people were paying attention to the band, and a few fans were eagerly cheering the group on.

The Rustlanders’ nightcap set commenced with the slower and jam-flavored “Needed You to Find, as the group again resumed their Americana journey. This set included such songs as the uptempo “Blood from a Stone,” the Corry-sung rendition of “Wagon Wheels,” the bluesier “Movin’ On,” and to end the night, a rendition of The Band’s “It Makes No Difference.”

In all, this was a good show that revealed to me more aspects and details of The Rustlanders’ musical personality. Their wide assortment of roots-inspired flavors gave a good overall view of what this band brings to the table. And their diverse offering of songs never stayed in one place for too long, so this show never became stale or boring. It served further notice to me that The Rustlanders are honing and focusing their brand of Americana sounds, while developing a healthy and impressive song library. I’ll be interested to see what their visits to the recording studio yield when their CD eventually comes out.

Chris Rattie of The Rustlanders.

Corry Drake of The Rustlanders.

The Rustlanders.

Jason McIntyre and Jason Tutwiler of The Rustlanders.

Jason Tutwiler of The Rustlanders.

JP’s HAIKU

Drove to Westover
Saw Jerry’s Fault acoustic
Mosquito bites suck

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner