· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/30/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Jul 11, 2003 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/30/03:

TUESDAY NIGHT 6/24: Freshly back from vacation, I wasted no time getting back to live music action, journeying to Penn State’s Bryce Jordan Center to check out the VH1-sponsored “Classic Rock’s Main Event,” featuring Journey, REO Speedwagon and Styx. Reportedly, all three bands alternated playing order for each date of this tour, with no one band established as the “headliner” of the tour. Styx kicked off this night’s show, and were through most their set as I arrived. I was able to see them do several songs, though – “Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man),” “Miss America,” and the set-finisher “Come Sail Away,” during which the jumbotron showed corresponding footage of ocean travel followed by mankind ‘sailing away’ into space – cool stuff! Of the three bands this night, I think Styx received the loudest and wildest response from the estimated audience of 5,000-6,000 people. And since all three bands got to do an encore, Styx returned to the stage to encore with one more favorite, “Renegade.” With the audience cheering wildly, guitarist James Young actually left the stage, strode up into one of the front sections of bleacher-styled seating and did a walking tour of the audience while playing his guitar. Styx’s performance – at least the songs I saw – was top notch. The group sounded crisp and authentic, despite only two members of the legendary mid- to late-70’s Styx roster – Tommy Shaw and James Young – still in the band. Styx was musically tight, and delivered a full-out SHOW, taking it to the audience and giving them what they paid to see. As strong as Styx’s set was, I regret not being able to get their earlier to see it in its entirety. After about a 20 minute intermission, REO Speedwagon took the stage, and performed their best-known songs and hits. The group started out with two uptempo rockers, “Ridin’ The Storm Out” and “Keep Pushin,’” before digging into their hit catalog for the ballad “Can’t Fight This Feeling.” After “Don’t Let Him Go,” the group performed more of their mellower hits, “Keep On Loving You,” “In Your Letter” and “Take It On The Run.” The group strapped on acoustics for “In My Dreams,” then proceeded with “Time For Me To Fly,” and finished their set in rocking fashion with “Back On The Road Again” and “Roll With The Changes.” For their encore, REO Speedwagon returned to the stage and did “157 Riverside Avenue.” The focal point of REO Speedwagon was frontman Kevin Cronin, who addressed the audience early and often; celebrating the audience and even throwing in some humor along the way (in particular, before “Can’t Fight This Feeling,” relating a story about how he was mistaken for REM frontman Michael Stipe at a Penthouse party). The band, with founding members Cronin and keyboardist Neal Doughty, and bassist Bruce Hall from their peak late 70’s/early 80’s lineup, sounded solid and energetic. The only downer during REO Speedwagon’s set was that their soundman wasn’t able to figure out the Bryce Jordan Center’s resonating bleacher-seating problem; the bass drum sound caused the seats throughout the upper decks of the arena to resonate, creating a thunderous din that hampered the overall sound and made the guitars and vocals tougher to hear. (Styx’ and Journey’s sound people, on the other hand, were able to master this problem). Journey then provided the nightcap with an excellent all-around set that mixed up the group’s legendary hits. Surprisingly, Journey’s set was very uptempo and upbeat, with the group performing only three of their ballads: “Lights,” “Open Arms;” and, to finish their encore and the evening, “Faithfully.” Otherwise, Journey rocked out with the opener “Separate Ways,” “Stone In Love,” “Wheel In The Sky,” “Be Good To Yourself” (led off by guitarist Neal Schon’s rendition of the “Star Spangled Banner,” the man is a guitar god), “Where Were You,” “Precious Time,” “Feeling That Way/Anytime,” “Don’t Stop Believin,’” “Anyway You Want It” to end their set; and “Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin’” to open their encore. Journey clicked on all cylinders and delivered full energy, and each member of this band shined during the set. Neal Schon’s guitar work was incredible; it was the first time I’ve seen this legendary guitarist live, and he smokes! Jonathan Cain was also stellar on keys and voice; he particularly shined on “Feeling That Way/Anytime,” and demonstrated some quality harmonica wailing on “Precious Time” and “Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin.’” And Steve Augeri was the near perfect replacement for legendary Journey frontman Steve Perry; he looked like Perry onstage, and at several points during this set, you could have closed your eyes and been convinced that it was Perry singing. How impressed was I by Journey’s set? Coming into this show, Journey was the band I was least looking forward to out of the three; I was expecting to hear a set of slow syrupy ballads. But at night’s end, Journey blew me away enough to convince me to part with $30 for one of their tour shirts before leaving. And that RARELY happens any more. So, REO Speedwagon’s sound problems notwithstanding, this turned out being one of the better concerts I have witnessed at the Bryce Jordan Center, from three arena rock legends that obviously still have the fire and passion to make music and celebrate their past.

After the concert, I headed to downtown State College to catch my first look at Shameful Din, performing at The Brewery. Formed from the ashes of Nothing Flannel, this fivesome is also the Tuesday night retreat for new Juiced bassist Greg Folsom, who plays lead guitar here. Shameful Din mixed harder-edged 70’s, 80’s and 90’s rock, from names such as Heart, Alice In Chains, Lita Ford, AC/DC, The Cult, Stone Temple Pilots, Judas Priest, Guns’n’Roses, Van Halen and more. The group’s main focal point is frontlady Ange Lambert, who delivered a powerful voice throughout the night. She was convincing handling the Ronnie Dio vocal on Dio’s “Rainbow In The Dark,” Heart’s “Magic Man,” Lita & Ozzy’s “Close My Eyes Forever,” G’n’R’s “Sweet Child O’Mine” and more. Greg Folsom did a fine job on the guitar end, especially nailing the Vito Bratta solo on White Lion’s “Wait.” This show had a loose, relaxed feel to it, and an audience member even stood in and helped Ange on a few songs during the night’s latter stages. It was also good to run into several off-duty musicians in the house, including representatives of Velveeta. Shameful Din plays every Tuesday at The Brewery, and based on this night, their din is far from shameful.

Scott Shenyo of Shameful Din.

Not looking particularly ‘juiced’ this night, Greg Folsom of Shameful Din.

Shameful Din, rocking The Brewery.

Once again, Greg Folsom of Shameful Din.

Ange Lambert of Shameful Din (left), joined by a guest backing singer.

THURSDAY NIGHT 6/26: My initial game plan was to take in former Allman Brothers guitarist Dickey Betts and his band Great Southern, playing the kickoff concert at this year’s Thunder In The Valley motorcycle gala in Johnstown. But a heavy work schedule, coupled with the knowledge that cover charge to get in to Ace’s to see this show was $32.50, derailed my efforts. I instead arrived late at Peter C’s to check in with Felix & the Hurricanes, only to learn once I arrived that Dickey Betts was apparently under the weather and cancelled the Ace’s appearance anyway, making me glad I decided not to try to attend. It was late in the evening so I didn’t get to see much of Felix & the gang this night, but did catch versions of Marshall Tucker’s “Can’t You See,” Grand Funk Railroad’s “Closer To Home,” and a cameo appearance from Mick Jagger’s evil twin, Jumping Jack Flash frontman Skip Stone, on a version of what else? – “Jumping Jack Flash!” Bob Watters handed me a near-completed edition of the Hurricanes’ forthcoming new CD, and be forewarned, the new ‘Canes’ disc is going to smoke!

Guest Skip Stone of Jumping Jack Flash gets his ya-ya’s out with Felix & the Hurricanes.

”Hey! Felix! Get off of my cloud!”

FRIDAY NIGHT 6/27: One evening later than initially planned, I headed over to Johnstown to take in the Friday night musical festivities at Thunder In The Valley. If you were a fan of motorcycles and music, Johnstown was the place to be this weekend! I headed downtown to Central Park to catch the last set of Pittsburgh blues rockers Glenn Pavone & the Cyclones. If you like the blues and blues rock, this trio kicks serious ass! The former guitarist for Billy Price, Glenn Pavone onstage was one of those cats who stayed calm, cool and collective; while doing incendiary and amazing things with his guitar strings and distortion, and making it all look SO DAMNED EASY! Glenn, bassist Tom Valentine and drummer Frant Sprentz were a tight and muscular unit, blending original songs and select remakes. Highlights for me included original songs like “Ride In The Fast Lane” and “Sunday Shivers,” and versions of The Pirates’ “Shakin’ All Over” and Al Green’s “Take Me To The River.” A good-sized crowd was on hand to witness Glenn Pavone & the Cyclones work their magic. It was my first time seeing this fiery ‘Burgh blues trio, it will not be my last!

Glenn Pavone of The Cyclones.

Glenn Pavone & the Cyclones rumble Thunder In The Valley.

Tom Valentine, belting out voice for Glenn Pavone & the Cyclones.

Again, Glenn Pavone, working his guitar magic on the Central Park Gazebo stage.

After leaving downtown Johnstown, I headed to the Ohio Street Lounge in Moxham to catch the latter portion of Midnight Graffiti’s show. Despite all the Thunder In The Valley visitors and activities in town, attendance here was on the light side. But that didn’t deter frontwoman Natalie Kurchak and gang from belting out a number of female-fronted favorites from Joan Jett, Hole, Lita Ford, Heart, Indigo Girls and more. Natalie still demonstrates a powerful set of pipes, especially lighting things up this night on Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally,” Lita Ford’s “Kiss Me Deadly” and the Heart double-shot of “Even It Up” and “Barracuda.” Bassman Joe Yernaux spotted Natalie a few breaks to sing two Tom Petty songs, “Listen To Her Heart” and “American Girl.” Midnight Graffiti was solid, and picked up energy and intensity as their performance progressed.

Midnight Graffiti, during their nightcap set at the Ohio Street Lounge.

Bernie Kralik and Natalie Kurchak of Midnight Graffiti.

Midnight Graffiti’s wife-and-husband team of Natalie and John Kurchak.

Belting out the voice, Natalie Kurchak of Midnight Graffiti.

SATURDAY NIGHT 6/28: One of my favorite Saturday night roadtrips any more is the hour-plus journey to the Wildwood Inn near Grampian. This room, out in the middle of the wilderness, is an absolute party! Owner Tammy had emailed me several times to invite me up to check out the band Simon Sez. Before I go on and to clear up any confusion before it begins, there are two bands called Simon Sez. One is a five-piece band from eastern PA who has advertised in Pennsylvania Musician and has played locally at City Limits and Yesterday’s Party (in fact, they’re back at Y-P on August Cool. The Simon Sez I went to see this night was the one from western PA, a veteran power trio (together since 1992) with members from Pittsburgh, State College and Clearfield County. They too have played locally at Yesterday's Party and in Johnstown. Upon approaching the Grampian area from the Route 36/Route 219 side, I was alarmed to see road signs indicating that Route 879 was closed several miles ahead, between Grampian and Curwensville – right in the vicinity of the Wildwood. I proceeded onward, hoping that the road closure was on the other side of the Wildwood. It was. But the road closure, to fix some caved-in pavement near the brick factory just west of Curwensville, had diminished attendance at the Wildwood Inn this night, as much of the venue's Curwensville, Clearfield and Philipsburg area patrons were faced with using the official detour route (which goes 20 minutes away to Lumber City; Calvin Walls later showed me a far shorter detour using back roads) or abandoning their Wildwood plans this night. The room was about half full when I arrived, and Simon Sez was nearing the end of their second set. This trio puts on a powerful, high-energy show, featuring mostly 90’s and current rocking favorites from names like Creed, Lit, Blink 182, Disturbed, Eve 6, White Zombie, Red Hot Chili Peppers and more. Especially impressive is lead singer and drummer Mark Neiswonger, who handles both roles very well, probably the strongest singer/drummer performance I’ve seen since John McKnight’s Hurricanes stint! The band told me during their break that their main goals onstage are to entertain and play as well as they possibly can; they succeeded on both counts this night. The Wildwood audience kept the dance floor busy the whole time I was there, and the band’s execution was clean, tight and powerful. And I gotta like a venue where the owner pulls me up onto the dance floor! It was all good rock, good fun, and a good time! I only wish Wildwood wasn’t a full hour away, or I’d be spending more Saturday nights here!

Mark Neiswonger of Simon Sez.

Jeff Mucci of Simon Sez.

Jamie Ross of Simon Sez.

Simon Sez…”Get on the dance floor and ROCK!”

Again, Jeff Mucci of Simon Sez.

Again, Jamie Ross of Simon Sez.

Yours truly celebrates with Wildwood Inn owner and party lady Tammy.

SUNDAY 6/29: With my “Backyard Rocker” program prerecorded this week (Nevermoure has a regular weekly Sunday night gig in Baltimore and had to prerecord their interview), I had a rare Sunday night off and could enjoy a day of R&R. The Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse has been bugging me for months and months to take a ride in one of his vintage junk Cadillacs. (Jesse collects run-down Cadillacs with the idea of eventually fixing them up. He takes them out for rides most weekends, and it’s a running joke with us that we expect parts to fall off these cars and engines to blow or overheat.) Since I had the day off and didn’t have to be anywhere specific, I finally took up Jesse on his offer and went for a ride. With “Big Jim” Ricotta also along for the journey, we climbed into Jesse’s Fleetwood Brougham, ready to experience the “comfortable ride” Jesse had been advertising. After months and months of assurances that his cars were in sound shape and wouldn’t break down, we watched as Jesse turned the key in the ignition…POOF! A cloud of oil smoke emerged from under the hood and THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL! Big Jim and I, plus other members of our Monday night Pelly’s Wing-Eating Think/Drink Tank (also preparing to do a roadtrip to Johnstown for Thunder In The Valley) standing near the car, laughed our insides out at this development. Jesse lifted the hood to examine the situation; apparently some vapor had built up under the hood from the car sitting in the sun, and ignited when the ignition was turned, creating the brief smoke cloud. Fortunately, the engine suffered no apparent damage, and started smoothly when Jesse turned the key again. Big Jim and I heaved a cautious sigh of relief as the car pulled out and we started on our journey. We had contemplated several more distant destinations this day, but since we started out later than expected, we decided to head to Somerset on the PA Turnpike and then head to Johnstown to check out Thunder In The Valley. The Turnpike ride to Somerset was interesting to say the least; I never anticipated being asked to steer the car from the passenger side while the driver loaded film into his camera, lol! But we made it to the Somerset Kings Family Restaurant in one piece, and after allowing our nerves and sanity to recover for a few moments, went inside Kings for a meal. After the meal, we hopped on Route 219 and proceeded north to Johnstown to catch the final hours of Thunder In The Valley, and meet up with the other members of our Monday night wing gang. We arrived at Central Park, and heard live music coming from the gazebo area. While Jesse searched for the other wing gang contingent, Big Jim and I decided to investigate the band onstage. I instantly recognized that it was NE-146, fresh back onstage and in action after a 3-4 month hiatus to learn new material. Singer/bassist Paul Hearn, guitarist James Forish and drummer Mark Hockycko mixed hard-hitting current and classic rock favorites from Firehouse, Puddle of Mudd, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Eats World, Good Charlotte and more. Sentimental highlight was when Paul brought his young daughter onstage to help sing on Creed’s “My Sacrifice.” NE-146 sounded strong; Paul’s vocal range worked well on Led Zeppelin’s “Livin’ Lovin’ Maid,” and James demonstrated some solid guitar soloing abilities throughout the set. We watched NE-146 until they went on break, and then walked around downtown Johnstown to check out some of the other sights and sounds of Thunder In The Valley. We stayed around until the end, and left as Johnstown began to return to normal after this big weekend. We had a good time, and after the initial puff of smoke, Guv’nor Jesse’s car held up well. It was a good day.

Before the journey, Guv’nor Jesse poses with his “classic” car…

Jesse’s car, moments after smoke erupts from the hood and steering wheel…

Big Jim, relieved that the boat made it all the way to Somerset, poses with Guv’nor Jesse outside the Somerset Kings Restaurant.

Jesse and Big Jim thought it proper to pose next to the Dick Corporation sign in downtown Johnstown.

An interesting scene from downtown Johnstown I thought I would share: the statue of Morley’s Dog, overlooking a sign that says ‘No Dogs Allowed’…hmmmmmmm…

NE-146 brings metallic thunder to Thunder In The Valley.

Paul Hearn of NE-146.

James Forish of NE-146.

NE-146 rocks, as several ladies observe at the Gazebo stagefront.

SUNDAY NIGHT 6/29: A good Sunday was followed up by a good Sunday night, as my weekend concluded with UUU’s latest visit to Pellegrine’s. Apparently due to some drunken chick spilling her drink on their equipment onstage during a previous show, UUU didn’t bring any tables directly onstage this night, but did allow Guv’nor Jesse to set up his table on the dance floor directly in front of the stage. Good times still abounded; as UUU kept the dance floor around Jesse’s table packed with their kitchen sink mix of current and classic rock, hip-hop, occasional oldies (the Four Season’s “December 1963” was a surprise) and more. Leave it to UUU to be able to fuse songs from Aerosmith, Limp Bizkit, Young MC, Four Seasons, Beastie Boys, Beatles, Paul Simon, Poison and more into a cohesive, uptempo party mix…But their ability to comfortably do so and keep the dance floor packed all the while is why UUU remains one of this state’s premiere party bands. They do it well…

Doug of UUU.

Demonstrating his guitar abilities, Jason of UUU.

Joe of UUU.

Aren’t those the foamy things that New Pig Corporation manufactures to clean up industrial fluid spills in rivers? (Maybe not…) I wonder if they had this use for their product in mind…?

Pellegrine’s in-house rapper Sean Banks makes a cameo appearance.

Two ladies enjoy their Sunday evening highjinks onstage with UUU.

Aaron of UUU.

Guido of UUU.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: