· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 7/10/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jul 16, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 7/10/03:

DREAM THEATER/QUEENSRYCHE/FATES WARNING @ CHEVROLET AMPHITHEATER, PITTSBURGH 7/3:

For anybody who knows me, this was a no-brainer…The prog-metal fest at Chevrolet Amphitheater in Pittsburgh featuring Dream Theater, Queensryche and Fates Warning. I was there!

As part of the large Altoona contingent representing at the concert, I journeyed to the show with Schtiv the former City Limits doorman and a member of the Pelly's Monday Night Wing-Eating Think/Drink Tank, Pat, and we rode over in Pat's Dodge Daytona. Guv'nor Jesse, all is forgiven! Jesse's vehicle from the previous weekend's ride (see "Week/Weekend Recap 6/30") was like a luxury limousine compared to Pat's Daytona. I don't think the car had any shock absorbers (at least in the back, where I was riding), the passenger-side door had to be lifted up in order to close properly, and you could see raw linkage while Pat was driving. But the car ran, and Pat said this machine got him to Arizona and back, so we went with it.

We lucked out and got a parking space directly behind the Chevy Amphitheater stage, we were mere feet from the rear of the stage, arriving as Fates Warning began their set (the ticket said 7:30, but Fates started at 7; I feel bad for anyone who showed up at 7:30 to see Fates and missed their set!). We wound up catching Fates' set from the parking lot (my accomplices wanted to suck down some brews before heading inside). From where we were standing, it sounded like Fates did a solid job on their set; we later heard that from out front, they got jobbed on the sound mix, particularly the bass. I recognized a few compositions, including at least one song from my favorite Fates album, Parallels. I admit, I haven't been keeping up on Fates Warning the past few years, so their newer stuff was unfamiliar to me. But what I heard impressed me enough that I may have to check into their last album or two and see what's up.

One quick gripe before I get on with the rest of this show recap: Why are concert policies regarding camera use so ludicrous? Why does venue security feel so threatened by disposable point-and-shoot cameras? Does anybody in the major music industry really think somebody is going to make tons of money selling photos taken with a disposable camera? You would think that if somebody had backstage passes to a show, that it would be logical to assume that they would want to take a camera backstage to get a few keepsake photos with the band. I decided to follow the rules this night, and actually was naïve enough to think that if I showed security my backstage pass, that they might allow me to carry a disposable point-and-shoot into the venue. Wrong. The shaved ape staffing the security gate didn't simply say no to my request, but loudly proclaimed "No cameras of any kind!" to establish his godlike power and might. Oh well, working security at an outdoor venue like this is seasonal work, and I imagine this Neanderthal probably looks too mean to work the drive-through window at Mickey Dee's during the off-season, so he had to show off his bravado while he had the opportunity. Lesson learned, I guess; next time I go back to sneaking the camera in (as we discovered others did this night once we got inside the venue). It's one of the reasons why I don't get particularly excited about attending major concerts these days; fans aren't allowed to have fun any more.

Enough soapbox.We eventually got inside the venue just as Queensryche was getting started. Both Queensryche and Dream Theater were splitting up headlining duties on this tour; and after headlining the first eight dates of the tour, Queensryche was opening for Dream Theater starting with this night's show. Schtiv and I made our way down front as the 'Ryche launched into their set with two songs from their new album "Tribe." One of the big questions people were asking heading into this show was whether Chris DeGarmo had rejoined the band and would be on this tour. While he contributes guitar work on the new album and reportedly did a few European tour dates with the group, DeGarmo was not on the stage this night. Michael Wilton handled lead guitar duties, with an unidentified hooded guitarist playing rhythm (we later learned his name was Mike Stone, and he had appeared on Peter Criss' solo stuff in the 90's). Queensryche proceeded to mix favorites from throughout their early discography through the "Empire" album, including "NM-156," "Screaming In Digital," "Take Hold of the Flame," and "Walk In The Shadows." Queensryche then launched into the title track from "Empire," with singer Geoff Tate updating his midsong commentary to apply to the present day, ending with a rallying cry to "Fix the system." The set continued with "Jet City Woman" and "Silent Lucidity," before the animated video intro "I Remember Now" appeared on the jumbotron, commencing an "Operation: Mindcrime" medley in which Queensryche did "Revolution Calling," "Speak" and "Eyes of a Stranger" to finish their set. After the audience cheered wildly for an encore, the 'Ryche returned to perform two more songs, "The Needle Lies" from "Mindcrime" and "Best I Can" from "Empire." Queensryche did a good job overall; Geoff Tate still very much has the voice, and his vocals were crisp throughout much of the set. The only hint that age might be taking its toll on his vox was on "Take Hold Of The Flame," where he didn't go for the high note. Geoff also knew how to work the crowd this night, and was successful firing them up, particularly on the revolution-geared numbers like "Empire" and "Revolution Calling." Michael Wilton did a respectable job on lead guitar, but his leads weren't as crisp as Chris DeGarmo's back in the day. Mike Stone handled rhythm duties respectably, but he isn't a finesse player by any means. Drummer Scott Rockenfield and bassist Eddie Jackson were on target as always. My sixth time seeing Queensryche, I thought this was a strong set overall, and a bit more energized than the last time I saw them (opening for Iron Maiden at Post Gazette Pavilion two summers ago).

As mentioned before, the area music scene was well represented at this concert, as I ran into members of The Grimm, Half Tempted, Retroactive and others, including former Riot Act frontman Troy Earnest. As they weren't able to procure backstage passes for the after-show Meet-n-Greet, The Grimm handed me two CD's to take backstage, in case I could get them into the hands of anyone important. I told them I'd see what I could do.

Although I've been a fan of Dream Theater ever since their first album came out, this was the first opportunity I've had to experience them live. They did not disappoint; in fact, Dream Theater came, saw and conquered! Opening with "Metropolis," Dream Theater executed an amazingly tight and energized set that mixed material from throughout their discography. The group sounded almost flawless as they proceeded through intricate compositions such as "Strange Déjà Vu," "Fatal Tragedy," "Hollow Years," "The Glass Prison," and then the composition I had most anticipated, the 20-minute magnum opus "A Mind Beside Itself." I had to see Theater do this one live to believe it, and their live version was stunning! The group then finished their set with "Learning to Live." Although Queensryche was the primary reason I attended this show, I thought Dream Theater executed the more precise set this night; I was simply floored by the way all the components - guitarist John Petrucci, bassist John Myung, drummer Mike Portnoy, and keyboardist Jordan Rudess - worked with clocklike exactness in executing the complex musical terrain they did. And singer James LaBrie sounded clean, concise, and rangeful on the vocal end. While perhaps not quite as powerful as Geoff Tate, LaBrie sang with more of an eloquence and clarity, perhaps partly due to the clean sound mix. For my first time seeing Dream Theater live, I was very impressed. It likely won't be my last time seeing this band live.

The show was not over, as fans cheered wildly for a Dream Theater encore. While we awaited the encore, we noticed something interesting happen; stage workers removed the covering from Queensryche drummer Scott Rockenfield's drum kit, which had never been dismantled following the 'Ryche's set. What was this all about? We shortly found out, as BOTH Queensryche and Dream Theater emerged onstage together and took up positions on their instruments, and launched into the opening of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again!" We - and everybody else standing around us - were awestruck! The full batteries of both Queensryche and Dream Tyheater, tearing it up together on this Who classic.Geoff Tate and James LaBrie alternating vocal leads; both Scott Rockenfield and Mike Portnoy going full tilt on their respective drum kits.Ten musicians onstage, giving all and giving the rfans an encore they would not soon forget! This will easily rank among the best concert encores I have ever witnessed, INCREDIBLE!

After the show, the meet and greet, as all five members of Queensryche eventually emerged to greet the select group of fans (most hooked up either via the Queensryche Fan Club, or radio stations like Q94). Half Tempted’s Ron Dalansky and his brother Steve were wide-eyed and excited as they got to meet the members of the ‘Ryche. Without having a camera, I opted instead to get my ticket stub signed by the band members. And excited as I was by that encore minutes earlier, all I could really think to say to each band member was “Thanks for that encore!” The band members were all cordial and receptive to their fans, and it was again a great experience to meet up with this band backstage (my 4th time doing so). Plus, I successfully handed The Grimm's "Resurruption" CD's to both Eddie Jackson and Geoff Tate, inviting them to give the CD a listen if they got bored on the tour bus. In addition to meeting Queensryche, a member of the Chevy Amphitheater staff came over to us and handed out free tickets to the Live concert on July 18; capping a great night!

A ticket stub I won’t be throwing away any time soon…

HAIR FORCE ONE @ CLUB CAR CAFÉ, ALTOONA 7/4:

After taking in the obligatory 4th of July fireworks display at Delgrosso's Park in Tipton, I headed to catch one of only two bands playing in Altoona this night, Hair Force One at the Clubcar Café. This was my first time back at the Clubcar since they started running live entertainment again. The new Budweiser stage looks pretty good, and the Clubcar's set-up looks similar to the former G-Man. Given the major competition from the 4th of July fireworks and parties going on, there were actually some people here this night. The problem was, cemeteries show more signs of life than the crowd this night. Only a handful of people danced or showed any signs of response as Hair Force One drilled their 80's hair-band setlist. (Nothing was wrong with the rest of these folks that a few lit bottle rockets or M-80's dropped down their pants wouldn't have solved.) Hair Force One did their best to get these folks fired up, celebrating the 80's with tunes from AC/DC, Whitesnake, Great White, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Ozzy and more. Frontman Victor Synn again displayed ample amounts of powerful voice, and we got to hear bassman Iva Biggin show some throat when he fronted ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man." Hair Force One didn't sound quite as crisp as the first time I caught 'em at Peter C's, perhaps due to the new room and dead crowd. But it still was a decent showing overall.

Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One provides musical 4th of July fireworks at the Clubcar.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One trying to bring 80’s decadence to the Clubcar.

Once again, Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Jimi Hatt of Hair Force One.

NEVERMOURE, BANDITOS, LOOKING FOR JUNE AND FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ NEVERMOURE’S 3RD ANNUAL “ROCK THE BLOCK” PARTY, ALTOONA 7/5:

Although I got a late start, I did get to take in a good portion of the 3rd annual Nevermoure "Rock the Block" Party, this time taking place near Penn State Altoona. During the previous two years, the event was held along 1st Avenue next to Prospect Pool in Altoona; the street was closed off, neighbors contributed food and refreshments, and Nevermoure invited several band guests to entertain in the sun. Last year's party was one of the most fun events of the entire summer, a day of community spirit as hundreds of people from little kids to senior citizens had fun and rocked to a lineup that included the hosts, Nevermoure, Poptart Monkeys, Felix & the Hurricanes, Stickboy from North Carolina and last-minute add-on guests the V.I.H. Blues Band.

This year, however, two neighbors (who reportedly didn't even attend this event the previous two years) objected to staging the Block Party. Shawn Hocherl's father, Bill, who organized this year's event, moved the block party to a friend's homestead located near Penn State Altoona. This was a very nice setting, with lots of open lawn and shade trees. I arrived too late to see Felix & the Hurricanes' set, but heard the 'Canes put on quite a show, doing lots of original songs from their forthcoming new album. The reported highlight of their set was bassist Jeff Clapper bringing his better half, Betsy, onstage to help out on a song or two.

I arrived as the day's second band, Looking For June, was onstage. A good-sized crowd was already on hand, and four important ingredients for a good time – food, beer, music and scantily-clad members of the opposite sex – were in place. Party! Short a bass player these days, Looking For June enlisted the help of Nevermoure’s Big Dawg, who did double duty onstage this day (actually triple duty, as Nevermoure played two sets). I caught four songs from Looking For June, but did not catch any specific song titles. What I heard, though, sounded good. Looking For June’s brand of power punk/pop had solid melodies and tight playing, and the vocals were the most on target that I’ve heard from this group so far. Based at least on what I saw, it seems Looking For June is moving forward, and may be a name to keep an eye on in the coming months.

Nevermoure then took the stage for the first of their two sets. Almost immediately a number of fans (mostly female) congregated in front of the stage to cheer the group on. Nevermoure mixed original songs with popular covers, with the emphasis on the latter during this daylight set. The group lobbed water balloons at select audience members during AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long,” providing a few good laughs (a few audience members would seek revenge after Nevermoure’s set). The big highlight of this early set occurred after the original song “Here I Am Tomorrow;” when Shawn Hocherl commenced a drum solo, and was joined onstage by his father, Bill (I had stepped back into the food area when this was going on, and arrived back too late to see or photograph it - #$#%@!!!). Another highlight occurred later, when frontman Adam Marino welcomed his cousin Craig to step behind Shawn’s drum kit and supply the beat on Blink 182’s “What’s My Age Again?” Nevermoure also broke out tunes from Aerosmith, Black Crowes, House Of Pain, Metallica, and for the first time in months, their former hit “Sweet Christine.” The host band easily succeeded in escalating the party, and had the crowd firmly in their grasp by the time they stepped away from the stage. They would return later.

Adam and Nevermoure get some help onstage from a young party animal.

Nevermoure rocks the lawn at the “Rock The Block” Party.

Mike Ritchey and Nevermoure, keeping them happy at stagefront.

Adam Marino of Nevermoure.

Adam Marino’s cousin, Craig, tries his hand behind the Nevermoure drum kit.

Mike Ritchey and Adam Marino of Nevermoure.

Shawn Hocherl of Nevermoure.

After Nevermoure’s set, Adam and Shawn engage in high-speed water balloon pursuit.

During the intermission, I was glad to see former Poptart Monkeys frontman Paul Reddon and his wife arrive for the festivities. According to Paul; he, the wife and recently-arrived twins are doing fine.

Banditos soon took the stage. This was my first time seeing their revised electric line-up, as Jim “Big Jimi Cee” Colyer replaces “Big Jim” Ricotta on rhythm guitar. Opening with a version of Saliva’s “Your Disease,” Banditos fired through a solid set of current and classic rock favorites, mixing songs from Puddle of Mudd, Godsmack, Collective Soul, Violent Femmes, Wild Cherry, Neil Young, ZZ Top, Buckcherry and more. Highlights included the Wally Bandito-fronted version of Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive,” and Billy Bandito fronting the band on their title song, The Refreshments’ “Banditos.” Although Big Jimi Cee was still relatively new to the Banditos roster, he seemed to adapt well, and seemed more comfortable and fired up as the set progressed. And though the audience seemed to be taking a breather after Nevermoure’s first set, Banditos still received a decent response, and at least a few pockets of lawnfront dancers during their set.

Banditos kick off their set at the Nevermoure Block Party.

Wally Bandito of Banditos.

Billy Bandito of Banditos.

Again, Wally Bandito of Banditos.

Darrell Bandito of Banditos.

Billy and Big Jimi Cee of Banditos.

The Iceman cometh…to Nevermoure’s Rock The Block Party.

The host band, Nevermoure, soon returned to the stage for the nightcap set and finale. With night descending, and more beer and food in everyone’s systems, the energy and excitement levels were higher now than earlier, and the lawn was quickly packed with jubilant fans. Nevermoure again delivered the goods, mixing a wide array of favorites with their strong original song arsenal. Tunes from Guns’N’Roses, Creed, Disturbed, Van Morrison, Poison, Outfield, and more were punctuated with originals like “Untouchable,” the ballads “Carolina Sky” and “Still,” the hit “Psycho,” “Forever Yours” and more. Highlights included Nevermoure’s freewheeling version of Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” which incorporated a Snoop Dogg “Gin and Juice” midsection; the rowdy singalong version of Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville” (because it was a family event, Nevermoure couldn’t swear on stage, but that didn’t mean the crowd couldn’t fill in the words!); the equally rowdy singalong version of Garth Brooks’ “Friends In Low Places;” and the night-ending version of Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me,” which drew the Block Party to a euphoric conclusion. The host band fired on all cylinders, and fed off the energy of the crowd for an exciting, high-flying set.

All in all, it was another successful, fun Nevermoure Rock the Block Party. This year’s event didn’t appear quite as heavily attended as the year before due to the new location, but everyone who did attend seemed to have a great time (with the possible exception of “The Iceman,” who took a nasty spill and had to go to the hospital). And it looks good that this event may be returning to a neighborhood setting next year, as a neighborhood block near the original Prospect Pool site has offered to host the Block Party. Here’s looking forward to next year; this is a fun, community event that needs to keep happening!

The fans reconvene at stagefront for Nevermoure’s second set of the day.

Sitting down on the job atop his speakers, Adam Marino of Nevermoure..

Once again, Mike Ritchey and Adam Marino of Nevermoure.

Big Dawg of Nevermoure.

Nevermoure keeps rocking the fans.

Once again, Shawn Hocherl of Nevermoure.

Nevermoure, rocking into the night.

Mike Ritchey of Nevermoure.

Videotaping his son’s rock band and block party, Rock The Block Party coordinator Bill Hocherl.

Once again, Big Dawg of Nevermoure.

The post-game festivities, as a fan receives a permanent souvenir of the Block Party (well, at least until it washes out) from Shawn Hocherl of Nevermoure.

HI-TYDE @ THE CASTLE PUB, EBENSBURG 7/5:

After the Nevermoure bash drew to a close, I decided to roadtrip up the hill to Ebensburg to catch my first look at Hi-Tyde, performing at the Castle Pub. I arrived during the intermission between the group’s first and second sets, as a near-packed house was in attendance and ready to resume the party. Hi-Tyde proceeded to deliver a high-energy party set, mixing favorites from Def Leppard, Rick Springfield, Violent Femmes, Bloodhound Gang, Bryan Adams, Lipps Inc., Cheap Trick, Michael Jackson and more.

I like several things about this band – first, constant energy and stage movement, as frontman Dale Nitti constantly moves about and works the crowd, and guitarists Rob Sottile, Ted Depto and bassist Mike Weber never stay in one place too long. Dale himself is an energized frontman with a solid voice, who keeps the action moving. And drummer Mike Davis wields a steady, powerful beat that underscored the sound and fueled the dance floor action. I also thought their setlist was fresh and varied; there were a few ‘mandatory’ favorites on the list, but Hi-Tyde also included a few unique numbers, such as the Fear Factory take on Gary Numan’s “Cars;” Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” and more.

Between the second and third sets, a small skirmish broke out near the door, prompting Castle Pub security into quick action to get the participants out the door. Unfortunately, it seemed about a quarter of the crowd followed the action out into the street, so the crowd wasn’t quite as huge for Hi-Tyde’s nightcap set. But that didn’t stop Hi-Tyde from continuing the party, as they kept the remaining revelers festive with tunes from John Mellencamp, Rick James, Blink 182, Romantics, EMF, Weezer, Beastie Boys and more. Hi-Tyde again kept the pace tight and the action nonstop; and versions of Bangles’ “Walk Like An Egyptian,” Katrina & the Waves’ “Walking On Sunshine” and EMF’s “Unbelievable” sounded fresh among the other familiar dancefloor favorites.

After seeing Hi-Tyde for the first time, I understand why this band has become a favorite on Cambria County stages, and why they are now starting to play prestigious cross-state venues like Harrisburg’s Coyote Hardware Bar. Hi-Tyde brings the party and keeps the dancefloor happy. That combination should keep them busy on area stages for a while to come.

Hi-Tyde rocks the masses at the Castle Pub.

Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Freshly returned from serving his country in Germany, Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Mike Davis of Hi-Tyde.

Mike Weber of Hi-Tyde.

Once again, Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde brings the party at Castle Pub.

Hi-Tyde and a packed dance floor at the Castle Pub.

Again, Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Once again, Mike Davis of Hi-Tyde.

A contingent from St. Francis University was in the house and representing this night.

Dale Nitti and Mike Weber of Hi-Tyde.

One more time, Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

POPTART MONKEYS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/6:

It’s always a challenge when a band has to replace a key member at any position. But perhaps the lead singer is the most challenging to replace, because that person is the central figure that audiences often most relate to and associate with the band. The Poptart Monkeys faced such a challenge recently when they were faced with replacing singer Paul Reddon, who left the band to tend to the responsibilities of being a new dad. Paul had personality, energy and charisma – traits that not just any aspiring lead singer could fill. The Poptart Monkeys soon enlisted the services of former Cornerstone member Tyson Clark to take over lead voice duties.

As I headed to Pellegrine’s this night for my first look at the updated Poptart roster, I wondered the same thing as everyone else who hadn’t yet seen the revised band – how would Tyson fare, and would he be able to fill Paul’s shoes? Based on what I saw this night, I think the Poptarts found the right guy. Tyson demonstrated a lot of energy and a crazy streak onstage this night, bouncing around like a sugared-up teenager and rallying the crowd on uptempo modern rock favorites and Poptart Monkeys originals. He seemed to be able to match guitarist Chris Kurtz and bassist James Balogach for off the wall onstage craziness, and he wasn’t afraid to step into the dancefloor masses and pull the crowd into the show. He didn’t address the audience quite as much as his predecessor; however, this was his first night in front of a new crowd, and he’ll likely open up more as he gets better acclimated to the new band setting.

Much of the Poptart Monkey’s third set was a leviathan “medley from hell,” featuring a diversity of songs spanning from Devo to the Bee Gees, from Eddy Grant’s “Electric Avenue” to Rupert Holmes’ “Escape (The Pina Colada Song),” from the Beach Boy’s “Barbara Ann” to Fine Young Cannibals’ “She Drives Me Crazy” and more. There were also a few select tunes from 3 Doors Down, Ugly Kid Joe, Puddle of Mudd, and Poptart originals like “Porno Queen” and at least one new song (I think called “7:30?”).

Pellegrine’s seemed to welcome the new Poptart Monkeys frontman well, and he and the group successfully helped bring the weekend to a festive close. It will be interesting to see how the band progresses with the new singer, and how their style and sound is affected in the months ahead.

The only safe way to experience new Poptart Monkeys frontman Tyson Clark is with a condom on his head.

And for added safety, Chris Kurtz should have a protective device on his head as well.

Tyson Clark of the Poptart Monkeys, taking it to the fans.

Without protective headgear, Chris Kurtz of Poptart Monkeys.

Rob Hampton of Poptart Monkeys.

Once again, Rob Hampton of Poptart Monkeys.

About to be swallowed by a huge navel, Chris Kurtz of Poptart Monkeys.

Chris Kurtz, the navel and its owner.

James Balogach of Poptart Monkeys.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: