· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/23/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Mar 04, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/23/06

OPEN MIC/JAM NIGHT @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 10/18/06

After hearing more and more favorable eyewitness accounts about it, I finally decided to take in The Bar's bi-weekly Wednesday "Open Mic" night.

A good-sized crowd was in attendance as I procured a brew and was invited to set up shop at one of the tables in front of the stage. An assortment of musicians platooned on and off of the stage, including some I recognized and some I didn't. Some of the faces included "songsmith" John Stevens, Dwane Edmiston, Bruce Foor, Barry Steindel, and Tim Klock and Chuck Cox, the two musicians who started Open Mic Night almost a year ago.

Among the more interesting highlights this night was one vocal artist who did what amounted to a one-person a cappella display. With some effects pedals arranged on the floor, this artist (whose name I didn't catch) sang an intiial vocal passage and looped it using the effects. He then sang a second passage and looped it, then a third, and more. After he recorded and looped the various vocal parts, he combined them together to produce a full vocal melody and groove, his various voices blending together to create a complete music piece. Cool!

Otherwise, various combinations of the musicians performed songs by Crosby Stills & Nash, Soul Asylum, Great White, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley and more.

My first edition of The Bar's Open Mic night was a good time. I'll be back for more!

Even “Uncle Bud” was getting in on the fun during Open Mic night at The Bar!

HELLO VIXEN @ WHITE LADY TAVERN, BUCKHORN 10/20/06

With entertainment options in the Altoona area limited this night, I decided to pursue the cheap thrill option, and headed up the hill to the White Lady Tavern up the Buckhorn; where Hello, Vixen was performing, and a bikini contest was taking place. I could catch the band's performance, and if some bikini-clad young ladies happened to step in front of my camera when I tried to photograph the stage, oh well, those are the hazards of the business.snicker, snicker.

I arrived during the middle of the second set, and a good-sized crowd was in the house. Out of that crowd, though, I only saw one lady with enough guts to model a bikini on a chilly Friday night on the mountain. We would see more of her later on during the third set.

For the moment, Hello, Vixen had the crowd rocking with their blend of punk-driven modern rock covers and originals. They were doing an original as I arrived, "You Can't Sing a Song You've Never Heard." The group continued with fast-firing tunes from the Ramones, Tommy Tutone, Green Day and more to finish out the set.

I made my way towards the front of the stage during the intermission to procure a good vantage point to view the band...and whatever else might show up on the stage during the third set.

As they kicked off their third set, Hello, Vixen presented the lone bikini contest contestant, and thus the winner by default, who danced along with the band for a song or two. The band continued to rock the house with favorites by Eve 6, Foo Fighters, Neil Young, Bush, Harvey Danger, Puddle Of Mudd, Blink 182 and more, eventually ending the night with their established showstopper, their rowdy singalong edition of Bouncing Souls' "Olé Olé."

A subplot unfolded during the third set, at least for those of us closest to the right side speaker. As this show was happening "up the mountain," one individual placed his beer cup chewing tobacco spittoon - as I called it, a Skoal saliva cocktail - atop and near the edge of the speaker. A friend and I watched as the speaker vibrations moved the cup and its contents perilously close to the edge of the speaker, while two young ladies in bright blouses danced within spilling range of the speaker, tempting impending disaster. Fortunately for all involved, Hello, Vixen's party ended before the cup could spill. (The speaker's owner, "Onetooloud," was also relieved that the contents did not spill.

Cheap thrills aside, Hello, Vixen delivered the goods; and this was a fun, high-energy party to heat up a chilly night up the Buckhorn.

Presenting the lone contestant in the bikini contest, Hello Vixen.

Mark Simanski of Hello Vixen.

Steve Holtz of Hello Vixen.

Once again with the bikini contestant, Hello Vixen.

With some more ladies joining them onstage, Hello Vixen.

Stirring up the fans, Mark Simanski and Hello Vixen.

Hello Vixen rocks the mountaintop crowd.

More mountaintop madness with Hello Vixen.

“Olaaaayyyy, Olé olé olaaayyy…Olé…olé!”

A ‘Skoal saliva cocktail’ teeters close to the brink of disaster as Hello, Vixen’s party continues.

DOWNTOWN LIVE, HAGERSTOWN, MD 10/21/06

Several things converged to make this Saturday a pretty special day for me. The weather was nice, and I was in the mood to chase down some fall foliage colors. As leaves had reached their peak in this neck of the woods, I knew that I would have to head southward to catch some colors. I had never been to Hagerstown, Maryland before, and was curious to see what this town was about. And I had learned from visiting Ledbetter Heights' website that they were performing at an outdoor concert, Downtown Live, which was making its debut this day in downtown Hagerstown. This convergence of circumstances prompted my game plan for this day; I was headed for Hagerstown to check out Downtown Live.

I wanted to arrive by the show's start time of 11 AM, but household chores delayed my departure, and I did not arrive in downtown Hagerstown until just shy of 1 PM; thus, I missed the day's first two bands, Monsters Of The Surf and Stacco Blues. But I did arrive just before the day's third band, D.C. and the Continentals, were set to perform.

From Cleveland, D.C. and the Continentals played a tasty mix of blues and blues-rooted sounds. A trio, D.C. and the Continentals' focal point was Charles "D.C." Carnes, who was a member of blues legend Robert Lockwood, Jr.'s band for 15 years. D.C. displayed a good, soulful voice and some excellent guitar work, including some bursts of tasty slide. The group played numbers from names like Johnny Horton, Bobby Bland, Larry Davis, Jimmy Rogers, Johnny Winter, Johnny Cash and more, closing out with a stellar read of Robert Johnson's "Sweet Home Chicago."

D.C. and the Continentals.

Charles “D.C.” Carnes of D.C. and the Continentals.

The bass player for D.C. and the Continentals.

The drummer for D.C. and the Continentals.

Again, D.C. and the Continentals.

Once again, Charles “D.C.” Carnes of D.C. and the Continentals.

At this point of the day, the crowd was still arriving, and attendance was a little light. During the intermission, I further explored the concert area. Hagerstown had blocked off a downtown street for a full block, with several food concessions set up and some streetside taverns open to serve hungry patrons through the course of the day. I strolled down the street and back, arriving back in front of the stage in time for the next band, The JiMiller Band.

Also from Ohio, The JiMiller Band performed jam and blues-geared sounds, somewhat similar to Blues Traveler. Group namesake, singer, guitarist and mandolin player Jim Miller, formerly fronted Oroboros. He and his band performed songs from their several CD's, with flavors ranging from funky to folksy. Their sound never remained in one place for long; and the musicianship was steady and solid.

The JiMiller Band.

Namesake Jim Miller of The JiMiller Band.

Again, The JiMiller Band.

Dan Carter of The JiMiller Band.

Matt Harmon of The JiMiller Band.

A full stage view of The JiMiller Band.

Once again, The JiMiller Band.

Again, Jim Miller.

With some young fans grooving in front of the stage, The JiMiller Band.

The band whose website first informed me about this concert, Ledbetter Heights, was next. The Shippensburg-based foursome; lead singer/rhythm guitarist Nick Staver, lead guitarist Brian Stoner, bassist Matt Franzoni and drummer Tim Carr; played hard-nosed modern rock, mixing tracks from their just-released CD, The Light That Burns, with several newer songs. Their performance was strong and focused, as Ledbetter Heights rode each song to a passionate and intense crescendo. Songs I was familiar with from their album such as “Pressure” and “Your Secret’s Out” took on a higher energy in the live setting. This was not lost on the still-building crowd, whose cheers grew stronger as the group’s set progressed. Bottom line: my first look at Ledbetter Heights was an impressive one; this is definitely a band with song hooks and drive.

Here is some video from Ledbetter Heights’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09068.MPG

Ledbetter Heights.

Nick Staver of Ledbetter Heights.

Ledbetter Heights’ newest member, guitarist Brian Stoner.

Again, Ledbetter Heights.

Again, Nick Staver of Ledbetter Heights.

Matt Franzoni of Ledbetter Heights.

Tim Carr and Nick Staver of Ledbetter Heights.

Once again, Nick Staver of Ledbetter Heights.

Tim Carr of Ledbetter Heights.

One more time, Ledbetter Heights.

Up next was The Jarflys. At the time I didn’t realize it, but this Annapolis, MD-based band is actually another project brainchild of Jimmie’s Chicken Shack frontman Jimi (Ha Ha) Davies, who sings and plays guitar. Six members strong, Jarflys performed hard-edged funky jam grooves, with electrifying musicianship and frequent improvisation. Jimi, guitarist Bryan Ewald, keyboard player Jon Gillespie and sax player Junior Brice constantly played off one another and left the vibe and grooves carry them. Some of the highlights of their set included the jazzier-flavored “Coffee Shop,” “Forty to Five” with its midsong Who references, and “Mama Said,” which eventually morphed into Stevie Wonder’s “Sir Duke.” Jarflys delivered a captivating and fun set, and provided another quality performance in what was emerging into a special day of live music discovery for me.

Junior Brice of The Jarflys.

The Jarflys get funky at Hagerstown’s Downtown Live.

Noel White of The Jarflys.

Jimi “Ha Ha” Davies of The Jarflys. Jimi started this project to do songs that didn’t fit in with Jimmie’s Chicken Shack; he enlisted some of the best players he could round up from around the Annapolis area to form the Jarflys.

More fans start arriving during the Jarflys’ performance.

Once again, The Jarflys.

The crowd was steadily swelling into a large gathering as the next band, the Kelly Bell Band from Baltimore, took the stage. This was another band I was seeing for the first time, and I soon realized why this group had such a large fan contingent showing up to see them. Right off the bat this group’s obvious musicianship was apparent, from the spicy grooves laid down by drummer Spencer Brown and bassist Freddie Louden, and edgy guitar and keyboard work by Ira Mayfield, Jr. and keyboardist Kirk Myers; topped by group namesake Kelly Bell’s passionate and soulful vocal delivery. But what instantly cemented me as one of this group’s newest fans was their fun, infectious onstage personality, and ability to tie this now large, diverse Hagerstown audience into one unified community of music fans. After their first two songs, Kelly and his band broke the ice with the audience, and had some fun with them. The group began to play Foreigner’s “Cold As Ice,” but shortly into the song, abruptly stopped as Kelly told the crowd, “Sorry, we don’t play covers!” The group then started into the intro to the Temptations’ “My Girl,” before again stopping. This time Kelly told the audience, “If you want to hear the songs that you hear every day, you should be at a wedding or something…” The group continued their teases, starting into Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” before again stopping abruptly; Kelly’s explanation this time: “We need help, four black guys don’t know this!” Then the group started into AC/DC’s “Back in Black,” again stopping as Kelly commented, “White people are crazy about that song!” The ice now broken and the crowd laughing along with the group, the Kelly Bell Band started into – and this time played in its entirety – Willie Dixon’s “You Can’t Judge a Book by Looking at the Cover.” The Kelly Bell Band continued with their “phat blues,” doing the slower number “More Than a Moment,” and then “Movin’ On,” one of several songs Kelly wrote about ex-girlfriends, as he quipped “I’m not in a blues band for nothin!’” The group welcomed a special guest onstage to help out on vocals, a 13-year-old lady named Nellie; she also sang on the next number, “Sittin’ on Top of the World.” The group then tore into the rip-roaring romp “F.B.I.,” before Kelly inquired if there was any ‘old school’ in the house, prompting the crowd to chant “Old School in the house!” This was the trigger to an old-school soul medley, which kicked off with Stevie Wonder’s “Living in the City,” and continued with Sly and the Family Stone’s “I Want to Take You Higher,” the Temptations’ “Papa Was a Rolling Stone,” the Ike & Tina version of “Proud Mary,” and Billy Preston’s “Will It Go Round in Circles.” This lively, feel-good medley further galvanized this large crowd and further united them in the harmony of enjoying music. Kelly Bell then took the opportunity to offer some sobering commentary, referring to the recent Amish school shootings near Lancaster. Kelly referred to how the Amish forgave the shooter and celebrated that the shooting victims were now in a better place; he celebrated their spirituality and togetherness, and related it to the togetherness this concert crowd was now enjoying. It was yet another rallying point in pulling this crowd more tightly together. The group then continued with a funky read of Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall,” before reprising “I Wanna Take You Higher.” The group then ended their set strong with an extended and intense rendition of Bill Withers’ “Use Me.” They had the entire audience – yours truly included – moving, grooving and smiling. It was a beautiful thing. The Kelly Bell’s set had such an impact on me that it was automatic that some green was coming out of my wallet to purchase a CD; and my elation intensified when I learned that they were selling two CD’s for just $5! The Kelly Bell Band’s 2002 studio CD Chasing The Sun and 2004 Live From the Recher Theatre…Finally! CD’s are now parts of my collection.

Kirk Myers of the Kelly Bell Band.

Namesake Kelly Bell of the Kelly Bell Band.

Again, Kelly Bell. Kelly started the Kelly Bell Band back in 1995 when he and a friend threw together a band quickly to back up and open for Bo Diddley at a Baltimore performance. The group stayed together, and has opened and backed Bo Diddley several times since.

Freddie Loudon of the Kelly Bell Band.

In front of a now huge crowd, the Kelly Bell Band.

Once again, Kelly Bell.

Kelly Bell, assisted by young guest Nellie.

Ira Mayfield, Jr. of the Kelly Bell Band.

Yet again, Kelly Bell.

Again, Freddie Loudon of the Kelly Bell Band.

The Kelly Bell Band’s set elevated this from just a concert into a happening. The mood was now festive and charged; people were happy, and total strangers were striking up conversations with me as I awaited the next band. At this point, I realized that I had indeed made the right decision to come and discover Hagerstown this day, as the day was becoming special.

That festive spirit continued as the next band took the stage, Jah Works. From the Baltimore/D.C. area, Jah Works performed reggae and Caribbean-styled sounds. Utilizing two singers, Jah Works played a mixture of their own reggae original songs and select reggae classics. Their overall vibe was spirited and upbeat, and their set felt like a continuous, nonstop celebration of both their Caribbean musical world and the festive atmosphere of this day in downtown Hagerstown. The large crowd grooved and danced along for the duration of their set, and this community celebration continued to ride on a high.

Giving a Jamaican touch to the proceedings, Jah Works.

Scott Paynter of Jah Works. Scott has since left the band, exiting earlier this year to pursue other interests.

Natty Roc of Jah Works.

Jah Works, keeping the large Hagerstown crowd happy.

Again, a huge crowd enjoying Jah Works.

Night arrived during Jah Works' set, and the crowd had ballooned to several thousand people. But this didn't feel like a concert crowd; it felt like a community. Folks of all ages and backgrounds were celebrating music, and a number of people just randomly struck up conversations with me about the show, the event and other things. The food concessions were doing a booming business. And in my only miscue of the day; I had passed earlier on trying a crabcake sandwich special offered up by one of the taverns along the street where the concert was being held. I figured I could get it later, as the event wasn't crowded at that point. I went down the street to the tavern, and now it was jam-packed and standing room only. So much for trying that crabcake sandwich special...

Next on the stage was the only band on the bill I had ever seen previously, the Lloyd Dobler Effect. And that previous time I had seen this group was a disastrous night during their first and only foray into the Altoona area, at Pellegrine's in late 2002. (You can read my review of that fateful [and funny, unless you were Pelly’s or the band] evening at this link: http://rockpage.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=22; scroll all the way to the bottom of the recap.) Well, it was four years removed from that disastrous night, and I was curious to see what this band was about now. I'm happy to report that Lloyd Dobler Effect has evolved over that four-year span into a fresh-sounding, sharp, multi-pronged modern rock/pop group. Now a five-piece, the Lloyd Dobler Effect – singer/guitarist Phil Kominski, guitarist Chris Bruno, bassist Patrick Hughes, percussionist Rusty Williams and drummer Donnie Williams (the violinist who wore the dog head and got pancaked between collapsing tables at Pellegrine's left the group a few years ago) – played a tight and confident set of original music. Their sound still retains a slight similarity to Dave Matthews Band, but now displays a broader worldbeat edge similar to Rusted Root. Their melodies were nicely developed, executed with clever and varying arrangements. Their performance was passionate and tight, building momentum as the set progressed. Their set was uplifting and driving, and their vibe drew the audience in more and more as their set progressed. Some of the songs they did included “Sold Out,” “Radio,” “Our Countries” and “Meet Me in London.” Ultimately, I was quite impressed with Lloyd Dobler Effect’s fresh-sounding and original brand of modern rock, and their tight and polished, professional-caliber performance. This band has indeed come a long way since that disastrous night in Altoona, PA four years ago. (I actually went up to singer Phil after the show, and told him I saw the group once before, on a disastrous night in Altoona; he immediately picked up the story from there and remembered the night well; but relented that it was a long time ago, and they put that part of their past behind them.)

The Lloyd Dobler Effect.

Phil Kominski of The Lloyd Dobler Effect.

Patrick Hughes of The Lloyd Dobler Effect.

Again, The Lloyd Dobler Effect.

Once again, The Lloyd Dobler Effect.

Chris Bruno of The Lloyd Dobler Effect.

Again, Phil Kominski of The Lloyd Dobler Effect.

Also keeping the huge Hagerstown crowd happy, The Lloyd Dobler Effect.

One more band remained; the headliners, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack. I had never seen this band before, although they had played around the region a few times (at Crowbar and at the Rock The House concert near Johnstown). This would be my first time witnessing them. The group played a loose set of their brand of funk- and reggae-tinged hard rock/metal, performing songs from throughout their career. It was a loose vibe, as Jimi Ha Ha and his bandmates had fun, shared a tequila bottle onstage, and frequently bantered with the audience (almost a hometown audience, since the band hails out of the D.C. area). Some of the numbers they performed included “Quitter,” “Trash,” the popular “Dropping Anchor,” “Get Off,” “Another Day,” “Waiting” and more. Highlights included the group’s former bass player, Derek Dorsey, joining them onstage for some songs; also their hit “Do Right” morphing into Bob Marley’s “Smoke Two Joints;” and capping the set, the song that put Jimmie’s Chicken Shack on the national map, “High.” The overall vibe was a big party, with the band ad-libbing and yukking it up onstage, and the crowd getting crazy. Several times, a few beered-up guys near the front of the stage attempted to trigger a moshpit, but a humongous security bouncer standing a few feet away from me made his way into the crowd and nipped it in the bud (and this guy was BIG, nobody was going to argue with him!).

The show came to a close at 10 PM, and I began the roadtrip back to Altoona. But this had been one big enjoyable day for me in Hagerstown, and the inaugural Downtown Live concert event was a big success, drawing over 4,000 people. There will be a sequel next October. Hagerstown showed that they know how to throw a party!

Slamming the lid on the day, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack.

Jimi Ha Ha of Jimmie’s Chicken Shack.

Entertaining the large and happy crowd, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack.

Jimi Ha Ha and Christian Xaliente of Jimmie’s Chicken Shack.

Again, Jimi Ha Ha of Jimmie’s Chicken Shack.

Once again, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack.

Keeping the huge crowd happy, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack.

Jimi Ha Ha is joined by former bandmate Derek Dorsey.

One more time, Jimi Ha Ha of Jimmie’s Chicken Shack.

A view of the crowd taking in Jimmie’s Chicken Shack’s set.

Once again, more crowd.

NYNE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 10/21/06

I arrived back in Altoona after midnight, with enough time left to catch a band on one of the local stages. I headed to City Limits to get an update on the progress of up-and-coming Happy Valley rock force Nyne.

I arrived shortly before the start of Nyne’s third set, and a mid-sized crowd was on hand to take in the group’s hard-edged brand of rock. Singer Jason Eyer, guitarist Chris Walker, bassist Justin Norfolk and drummer Adam Rider rocked the house with tunes from Buckcherry, Danzig, Living Colour, Metallica, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Godsmack, Disturbed and more. Their execution was tight and powerful, and the group appeared more confident in their delivery. As the central focal point onstage, Jason kept the show moving and rallied the stagefront audience along. The City Limits crowd was digging it, enough so to demand an encore at night’s end, which Nyne answered with a repeat rendition of Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name.”

The set I witnessed was enough to serve notice to me that Nyne was indeed progressing along well, and should continue to evolve into a band name to be reckoned with throughout the region.

Nyne, rocking down City Limits.

Jason Eyer of Nyne.

Justin Norfolk of Nyne.

Adam Rider of Nyne.

Again, Nyne.

Once again, Nyne.

Chris Walker of Nyne.

One more time, Nyne.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/22/06

With the “Backyard Rocker” ‘in the can’ this week (translation: pre-recorded, for those not versed in radio jargon), I was able to arrive at Pellegrine’s a bit earlier than usual to catch most of Bad Daze’s show to close out the weekend.

Crowdwise, it was an average night at Pelly’s as I arrived; not too full, and not too empty. It was enough of a crowd for Bad Daze – singer Rob Carolus, guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and drummer Randy Wilson – to stir up and draw onto the dance floor. As the night progressed, they did.

During their second set, Bad Daze kept the energy level high and constant with tunes from Disturbed, Good Charlotte, Drowning Pool, Static X, Weezer, Puddle Of Mudd, Rage Against the Machine, Eminem, Godsmack, Jimmy Eats World and more. Drummer Randy sang lead on AC/DC’s “Have a Drink on Me” midway through the set. In his typical fashion, Rob worked the room, parading to and from tables to rally folks to get up front. A few took the bait and did so, and the dance floor audience steadily increased as the set progressed.

Bad Daze’s nightcap set featured favorites from Buckcherry, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Fuel, Tommy Tutone, 3 Doors Down, Fallout Boy, Foo Fighters and more. Again, the group was able to draw a number of people up to the front of the stage to dance and groove along. That audience demanded an encore at night’s end, which Bad Daze responded to with Pantera’s “Walk” to finish out the night.

It was another good, solid Bad Daze performance. It took a little while, but Bad Daze seems to have finally turned the corner at Pellegrine’s, and audiences have been steadier and more consistent during their last few visits. The group’s persistence seems to be paying off.

Bad Daze rocks home the weekend at Pellegrine’s.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Again, Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze addresses the Pelly’s fans.

Again, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

Once again, Bad Daze.

Doing some Old Skool soloing, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

“Take our picture!” Okay…”

JP'S HAIKU

Vixen White Lady
Bikini contest a dud
Skoal cocktail hazard

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner