· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 2/26/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 03, 2007 

WEEKEND RECAP 2/26/07

THE AMPLIFIED HEET @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 2/23/07

I’ll make this story short. I misplaced my note sheet, so details are sketchy regarding what exactly I saw this night. I arrived at the Hitching Post late and saw a band do 3-4 songs and call it a night. I recall seeing Amplified Heet’s nefarious ringleader, singer and guitarist Jules Bianchini. I also recall seeing Tyke Dodson behind the drum kit. If I recall correctly, guitar/harmonica man Adam Brown was not in attendance this night, so bassman Andy Mathers was playing guitar while a guest filled in on bass. Something like that.

I’m not sure who I was hearing this night. It might have been The Amplified Heet, or it might have been The Amputated Feet. It sounded like either at times during the 3 or 4 songs I witnessed. Whoever they were, they ended the show early and called it a night. Crowd was pretty light at the Hitching Post, and those who were there weren’t paying much attention to the band anyway.

Anyway, it wasn’t a particularly memorable evening (otherwise I would have remembered more about it as I try to write about it 2½ months later. And for Amplified Heet, it probably wasn’t a career-defining night either. Just a lackadaisical Friday night in the dead of winter in the ‘Toona. Yawn.

KYX @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 2/24/07

Although I had contemplated out-of-town band options to check out this Saturday night, the forecast called for a chance of flurries or snow showers, and that alone was enough to keep me ‘Toona bound this night…that and it was damned cold! I braved the frigid temperatures to head to Burgi’s and check in with local classic rocking favorites Kyx.

As I said, it was COLD! (“How cold was it, JP?”) It was so cold that when I arrived at Burgi’s, I had to grab a cold beer to warm my hands up! (rimshot sfx) The beer warmed me up a little, but Kyx’s performance warmed me - and the packed house audience - up a lot more.

As I arrived early into their first set, Kyx - rhythm guitarist/singer Bill Moyer, lead guitarists/singers Bill Ferrell and Jim Walstrom, bassist/singer Glenn Walstrom, keyboardist/singer Terry Wills and drummer/percussionist Chris Sherkel - already had the dance floor packed as they played their selection of classic rock favorites, with a few select recent numbers and original songs sprinkled in. Kyx quickly impressed me with their degree of accuracy in performing their cover selection; not just doing the songs, but making them sound as true to the original versions as they could. For the remainder of this set, Kyx did numbers by Van Morrison, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Romantics, Tommy Tutone, Robert Palmer and more; plus a version of Big & Rich's "Save A Horse Ride a Cowboy."

During the intermission, I got to chat with Ed and Cathy from Get Closer To The Music, in the house to celebrate Cathy's birthday. And Bill Ferrell introduced me to Trudy, the special lady he wrote the ballad on his Biker's Prayer album, "Trudy's Song," about.

Soon Kyx was ready to begin their second round. The group resumed with a stellar rendition of the Bob Seger double-shot combo of "Travelin' Man/Beautiful Loser," with Bill Moyer providing the convincing gruff-edged Seger vocal. Glenn then sang lead on an equally impressive rendition of REO Speedwagon's "Ridin' the Storm Out." The dance floor party again intensified as Kyx stepped up the tempo with favorites from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Walsh, Georgia Satellites, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Three Doors Down, and an extended ZZ Top medley of "Gimme All Your Lovin'" into "Sharp Dressed Man." Then a moment I was again waiting for; as Kyx kicked into their rendition of Bruce Springsteen's "Rosalita." This was excellent, as Bill Ferrell belted out his best 'Boss' voice, and Terry replicated Clarence Clemons' sax wail on his keys. Again, I was amazed by Kyx's attention to detail in performing this and other classics this night! The group slowed things down for another Bob Seger classic, "Turn the Page," followed by more songs by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rick Springfield and ZZ Top.

After that ZZ Top tune, "La Grange," I departed Burgi's, as there was another band up the road I wanted to catch up with this night. But what I witnessed from Kyx was impressive; tight musicianship and dead-on accuracy, by a band that was obviously enjoying the music they were doing, and playing it to the best of their ability to an appreciative and festive audience. Very good show!

Kyx rocks the masses at Burgi’s Roundhouse.

Bill Ferrell, Glenn and Jim Walstrom of Kyx.

Terry Wills of Kyx.

Chris Sherkel of Kyx.

Once again, Kyx.

Again, Terry Wills of Kyx.

Again, Chris Sherkel of Kyx.

One more time, Kyx, keeping Burgi’s dance floor crowd happy.

XL @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 2/24/07

From Burgi's, I headed a short distance up the road to City Limits, to catch the return of XL to area stages in their first City Limits appearance.

Although not crowded, there was at least some audience present at City Limits as I arrived late during XL's second set, in time to see the group finish with Nickelback's "Figure You Out."

The current edition of XL now featured singer/guitarist Ryan Dunkle, guitarist/singer Tony Wimbush, bassist Pete Symosky and drummer Al Kizina. This was the first time I had seen Pete in action in a LONG time, probably going back to some of the bands he used to play with at the old Sebastiano's Hotel!

XL soon returned to the stage for their final set. As the group's set unfolded, XL did a mixture of rocking favorites classic and new, from such names as Puddle Of Mudd, Seven Mary Three, Alice In Chains, Poison, Big & Rich, AC/DC and more. The group was solid and sturdy on their instruments, with Ryan demonstrating some flashy lead guitar work along the way, and also rallying the audience and dance floor crowd to be involved in the show. At one point, Ryan stepped out into the audience and toasted the crowd. XL had a good party going late into the night, leading to the fun homestretch, where Danette and two other City Limits ladies stepped up to the stage, sang and danced along with the Tony-fronted rendition of Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally" to close out the night.

Based on this showing, XL is back to speed as a good-time rock'n'roll party band. Hopefully more folks will discover - and rediscover - them as they proceed to rock area stages.

XL, rocking and rolling at City Limits.

Again, XL.

Tony Wimbush of XL.

Ryan Dunkle of XL.

Once again, XL.

Pete Symosky of XL. I think the last time I saw Pete in action was with the late John Baker in Poverty Boy, circa 1988!

Al Kizina of XL.

Again, XL, having fun at City Limits.

Again, Tony Wimbush of XL.

Again, Al Kizina of XL.

Tony Wimbush and Ryan Dunkle of XL.

Several ladies join in the onstage fun with XL at City Limits.

Singing some lead, Tony Wimbush of XL.

The City Limits gals belt out voices to “Mustang Sally.”

The party continues with XL and their guests at City Limits.

JP’s HAIKU

Kyx rocks the Roundhouse
Precision, sweating details
Giving fans their best

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1