· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/2/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday May 30, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/2/07

RUSTY GUN REVIVAL @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 3/28/07

In the mood for some ribs and roots after completing my Wednesday evening workplace duties, I headed to the Hitching Post to partake in some of Butch's barbecued ribs and Rusty Gun Revival's barbecued roots sounds.

A mid-sized crowd was in place at the Post as I arrived, taking in the performance as L.C. Slim, Red and Tom played their selection of old-time country, rockabilly, their "punkry"-flavored original songs and more. The trio played the traditional "Tell Old Bill," followed by a string of original songs such as "That Girl Is Hot," "Honky Tonk Woman," "Step It Up N'Go," "Smoke" and "Long Way From Home." After a psychobilly interlude, the group played Big Bill Broonzy's "Long Tall Mama," followed by some Johnny Cash favorites, "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Cry Cry Cry." Social Distortion's "Ball and Chain" made an appearance, as did Elvis' "Devil In Disguise," "Wagon Wheels" and Hank Sr.'s "Hey Good Lookin'" to bring the show to a close.

As expected, it was a honky tonkin' good time with the Rusty Gun Revival-ists; sounding strong and confident on their song selection through the duration of the show. Red's bass slapping sounded mighty and thunderous along Tom's snappy beats, while Slim's voice, guitar and harmonica bursts were working well this night as well. Hitching Post main man Butch and the audience were enjoying it, so was I. Good ribs, good music, good time!

Rusty Gun Revival, getting their hootenanny on at the Hitching Post.

Again, Rusty Gun Revival.

OAK & IVY @ THE U.S. HOTEL, HOLLIDAYSBURG 3/30/07

My itinerary for this Friday night was a live music doubleheader. I would eventually get to the 4D's Lounge to assist with Vs. the Earth's "Rock For The Troops" night; but first, I headed to Hollidaysburg's historic U.S. Hotel to catch Oak & Ivy's performance.

I had caught limited glimpses of Oak & Ivy last summer at the Music Is Life Festival in Pleasant Gap, and strained to hear them when they opened for the Hillbilly Gypsies at the Heidelberg in January. So this would be my first good opportunity to get a lengthier look at what this duo was about.

Mandolin player/singer Matt Harrison and guitarist/singer Kathryn Bullington were under way as I arrived early in their second set. Matt and Kat played an intriguing variety of acoustic folk sounds, spanning old-timey and Appalachian folk to Celtic sounds and more. Along with their own original songs, Oak & Ivy played Celtic numbers such as "Harvest Faire" and "Whiskey In The Jar," traditional numbers such as "Shady Grove," Guy Clark's "Black Diamond Strings," songs from John Prine and Johnny Cash, and to close the set, the traditional instrumental "Rights of Man."

It was sounding very good so far. I liked Matt and Kat's arrangements on the material they were doing, and the two harmonized very well. Although not a packed house, the audience at the U.S. Hotel - including J.P. Hesser of Castaway 7 Studios fame, visiting from California, members of Mama Corn and other acoustic performers - were enjoying the performance.

Before Oak & Ivy began their third set, Matt conducted an "auction" on stage; up for bids, something he crafted himself, a guitar string sculpture of a guitar! A long-distance visitor this night, Danville singer/songwriter Chris Whitmer, put in the highest bid and won the artwork.

With that, Oak & Ivy were under way with their set, opening with the traditional "Fire on the Mountain," and continuing with Bob Dylan's "Easy Chair." The pair welcomed Chris Whitmer onstage to join them for several numbers to finish out the night, including Peter Rowan's "Midnight Moonlight," a Gillian Welch number and Flatt & Scruggs' "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone."

This was an enjoyable show. Oak & Ivy offer a different style of acoustic music on area stages, and perform it well. Their mood was relaxed and laid-back, and their presentation friendly. The U.S. Hotel audience enjoyed their talents, and I was glad to make the trip out Hollidaysburg way to get a better representation what this duo was all about.

Kathryn Bullington and Matt Harrison: Oak & Ivy.

Besides creating music, Matt Harrison also creates guitar string sculptures; here is his sculpture of a guitar.

Matt and Kat auction off Matt’s guitar string sculpture.

Guest Chris Whitmer joins Oak & Ivy.

Again, Chris, Kat and Matt.

VS. THE EARTH @ THE 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 3/30/07

I departed the U.S. Hotel just before midnight, and arrived at the 4D’s Lounge to see how Vs. the Earth’s “Rock For The Troops” performance was going.

I arrived towards the end of Vs. the Earth’s second set, to find – not unexpectedly – a jam-packed house. The “Rock for the Troops” cameras were rolling, with ToonaRockGuy, Hawk and mjb catching footage of both band and audience showing support and extending hopeful wishes to our troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Vs. the Earth – singer Adam Marino, guitarist Mike Ritchey, bassist Big Dawg and drummer Eliot Wiley – kept the packed dance floor turbulent with their renditions of House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” Disturbed’s “Sickness,” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing In the Name,” during which Adam launched himself off the stage to surf atop the crowd.

During the intermission, I assisted in hooking up guests to address the troops in front of the cameras. Mostly everyone we approached was into the idea and cause this night, and it was encouraging to see this support for our troops who were putting their lives on the line.

Vs. the Earth had their own special treat for the cameras and the troops during the third set. The group did an entire set of their own original songs for the troops, kicking off with "T.A.T.A. (The American Teenage Anthem)," and continuing with such Vs. the Earth favorites as "Friend Zone," "Still Remember You (Higher)" and "Psycho;" along with newer tunes like "Story of My Life," "Who He'll Be" and more. The energy level was constantly high during the set's duration, with band and fans feeding off one another's energy. Towards set's end, Adam beckoned me to the stage to catch some photos of the action from the band's side of the stage; very cool!

It was a good night all-around at the 4D's, with Vs. the Earth and the Dees crowd pouring it all out in front of the cameras to show our troops that they are in our thoughts.

With Rockpage’s Hawk shooting footage, Adam Marino and Vs. the Earth rock the 4D’s.

Big Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Vs. the Earth and their fans, rocking for the troops.

Elliot Wiley of Vs. the Earth.

Flags are waving as Vs. the Earth and their fans celebrate our troops.

Again, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Once again, Vs. the Earth.

Once again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Big Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

With Rockpage’s ToonaRockGuy shooting footage, Vs. the Earth and their fans continue to rock for the troops.

More Vs. the Earth.

From the stage, Adam Marino sings to the fans.

Once again, Adam and the fans.

Again, Elliot Wiley of Vs. the Earth.

One more time, Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

3RD ANNUAL JEFF WALLACK TRIBUTE SHOW @ALDO’S, ALTOONA 3/31/07

Monday, April 2, marked the second anniversary of the passing of local guitar great Jeff Wallack. Jeff’s life was cut short by an apparent brain aneurysm on April 2, 2005. He was 40.

On Saturday night, March 31, Aldo’s Place in Juniata hosted the third annual Jeff Wallack Tribute Show, with all proceeds going to the Altoona Food Bank. This was a special evening, as many of Jeff’s former bandmates, friends, fans and musical contemporaries, plus younger musicians influenced and inspired by Jeff, came together to celebrate his memory and the music he loved to perform on stage in such area bands as Rapid Fire, Shattered China and Dash Riprock.

Kicking off the night was young Williamsburg-based heavy metal quintet Death Upon Arrival. Featuring lead vocalist Mick Stayduhaur, guitarists John Liebal and Rory Dalansky (son of Half Tempted’s Ron Dalansky), bassist Mike Liebal and drummer Randy Saylor; Death Upon Arrival performed a short set featuring two of their original metal compositions such as “Riders of the Apocalypse,” plus a Lamb Of God cover. Their style was intense and brutal; and they were well received by the large Aldo’s audience.

Next was Altoona’s Choking Faith. Lead throat Jason Mittan, guitarist Dan Miller, bassist Steve Seymore and drummer Joe Richards also did a short set, commencing with their intense metal original song “Trainwreck of Life” and an equally punishing take on Queen’s “Fat Bottomed Girls.” The group then welcomed some guests onstage; first, former Fatal Maim guitarist Jody Earnest on a Slayer number, and then Jody’s brother, former Fatal Maim/Riot Act singer Troy Earnest, for an edition of Dio’s “Rainbow in the Dark,” with both Jason and Troy sharing lead vocal duties.

Half Tempted then took the stage, and more guests would soon join them. First, singer/guitarist Ron Dalansky, drummer Steve McCulley and new bassist Paul Barsom kicked off their set with renditions of Kiss’ “Detroit Rock City” and Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion.” Then, Jeff’s former Rapid Fire/Shattered China bandmates, singer Steve Oswalt and bassist Joe George, along with guitarist Doug Tussey, joined Ron and Steve for two songs by one of Jeff’s all-time favorite groups, Iron Maiden; doing “Children of the Damned” and “Run to the Hills.” Then some more musical guests platooned on and off the stage. Joining Ron, Steve and Joe were Ron’s son, Rory (of Death Upon Arrival) and former Anaconda/Strickly Wikkid guitarist Tom Brown on additional guitars, and former Black Diamond/Cut The Mustard singer Denny Frank, making his first appearance on area stages in over 20 years! Together, this combination of musicians performed a rip-roaring edition of Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid.” Keyboards then joined the mix, as former Five Nations keyboard man Phil Steele joined Ron, Paul, Steve and Denny on a rendition of Deep Purple’s “Smoke on the Water” to close out the set.

Up next was The Flame Sky. This group also featured some guests; joining singer/guitarist Ed Brinkel, lead guitarist Jason Feathers, bassist Shawn Shultz and drummer Nate Woods were Steve Oswalt on lead vocals, and guitarist Scott Botteicher to contribute more lead guitar alongside Jason. This grouping of musicians did more of Jeff’s favorite music, including another Iron Maiden number, “Phantom of the Opera,” Ozzy Osbourne’s “Mr. Crowley,” Pink Floyd’s “Pigs (Three Different Ones)” and UFO’s “Let It Roll.” They also did a more recent number, Black Label Society’s “In This River,” which they dedicated in Jeff’s memory.

Capping the evening was a short set by a new band, Vengence. Featuring lead vocalist Frank Rumfola, guitarists Shawn Doran and Brian Weibley, bassist Todd Clavarella and drummer Andy Hicks; Vengence showcased their brand of metalcore-flavored original music, playing several original numbers to close out the night.

This was a very memorable night! All the musicians who took the Aldo’s stage this night left their hearts and souls there, as they poured it all out in honor of Jeff Wallack. Often the performances were stellar, and even when they weren’t, it was joked that Jeff was probably looking down from the heavens, laughing his butt off at the miscues. The evening rode at a constant adrenaline rush high, with musicians giving all and the audience rabidly cheering after each and every song. It was cool to witness the camaraderie this night, as veteran musicians performed alongside younger musicians, and veteran performers who hadn’t been onstage in years resurfaced from the mothballs to be a part of this special occasion. Stories about Jeff Wallack were shared, and even people who never met or knew Jeff came to know and appreciate this talented musician and what he contributed to the area music scene, both onstage and as a friend.

This was a special night that lived up to its billing and promise. The Jeff Wallack Tribute Show delivered hard-hitting guitar rock, memories, and a good time. Hats off to Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted and Rich McGarvey at Aldo’s for putting this night together; also all the musicians who took part; and all the fans and friends who showed up to be a part of this unforgettable night!

Here is some rough footage of the aforementioned rendition of “Paranoid,” filmed from Aldo’s upstairs ‘peanut gallery’:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09522.MPG

Here are some photos from this memorable night:

Williamsburg’s Death Upon Arrival kicks off the evening.

Choking Faith frontman Jason Mittan.

Choking Faith.

Dan Miller of Choking Faith.

Steve Seymore of Choking Faith.

Jody Earnest (right) joins Choking Faith’s performance.

Steve Seymore of Choking Faith w/guest Jody Earnest.

Again, Choking Faith.

Once again, Choking Faith.

Troy Earnest joins in with Choking Faith.

Uh oh! Jason and Troy forgot the words...

Joe Richards of Choking Faith.

Choking Faith frontman Jason Mittan and Troy Earnest.

Once again, Jason Mittan and Troy Earnest.

Half Tempted commences their set.

Ron “the Budman” Dalansky of Half Tempted.

(left to right) Guitarist Doug Tussey, bassist Joe George and singer Steve Oswalt join Half Tempted.

Again, Half Tempted and their guests.

Doug Tussey and Joe George.

Again, Half Tempted and their guests.

Doug Tussey and Joe George.

Doug Tussey and Steve Oswalt.

Again, Doug Tussey.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted, and the most headbangingest fan in the house!

Tom Brown (left), Denny Frank (center) and Rory Dalansky (right) join Half Tempted onstage.

Making his first appearance on Altoona stages in over 20 years, Denny Frank.

Denny Frank.

Happy to be a part of the festivities, Tom Brown.

Like father, like son; Ron and Rory Dalansky.

Also making his first appearance on area stages in a few years, Phil Steele on keys.

Again, Half Tempted and friends.

Denny Frank and Ron Dalansky.

Singer Steve Oswalt (center) and guitarist Scott Botteicher (right) join The Flame Sky for their set.

Jason Feathers and Scott Botteicher.

Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

Jason Feathers and Scott Botteicher.

Again, Jason Feathers and Scott Botteicher.

Capping the evening, Vengence.

Frank Rumfola of Vengence.

Again, Vengence.

Vengence, rocking with a vengeance.

Again, Frank Rumfola of Vengence.

One more time, Frank Rumfola of Vengence.

HI-TYDE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/1/07

Pellegrine's was again the setting for the close of another weekend, as I headed there to check in with Hi-Tyde.

Hi-Tyde was a near last-minute replacement for another band that had cancelled their appearance, and attendance was on the light side at Pelly's as I arrived during the group's second set. Hi-Tyde was trying to fire up what crowd there was, performing favorites from Dead Or Alive, Prince, Bon Jovi, Outfield, Bryan Adams, Nickelback, and Big & Rich's "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" to finish the set.

Hi-Tyde found the going slow during their third set as well. Not only was Pellegrine's not crowded, but the folks in attendance were not in a dancing mood, at least early in the set. The Tyde threw their song arsenal at the audience, including tunes from The Cult, Godsmack, 311, also an 80's medley featuring tunes from Cameo, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Poison and Tom Petty; and another medley featuring tunes from Jackson 5 and Neil Diamond to end the night.

This wasn't one of the more memorable performances I've witnessed from Hi-Tyde. The lack of crowd seemed to affect the band this night; they weren't as sharp or as enthusiastic as I have seen them during other shows. And the short notice before this gig seemed to be frustrating the band as well; I noted a little irritation in singer Dale's presentation this night. A packed house and an enthusiastic crowd can inspire and fire up a band; and this night, the opposite seemed to be the case.

Oh well, nights like this come with the turf...Hopefully Hi-Tyde's next Pellegrine's appearance in June will bode better for them.

Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Ted Depto of Hi-Tyde.

Hi-Tyde, attempting to liven up Pellegrine’s on a Sunday night.

Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Again, Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Again, Ted Depto of Hi-Tyde.

Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde, trying to turn Sunday into Funday at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Hi-Tyde.

Dale and Rob of Hi-Tyde, bringing some rap.

One more time, Ted Depto of Hi-Tyde.

JP’S HAIKU

Jeff Wallack Tribute
Bands and fans share memories
Of local axe great

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner