· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/16/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Jun 11, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/16/07

BLUEGRASS JAM @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 4/11/07

Once again, ribs and bluegrass music were on the menu this night as I headed to the Hitching Post for the monthly Bluegrass Jam.

Attendance was on the light side for both crowd and musicians. Onstage, five were taking part; Bluegrass Jam organizer Johnny "Songsmith" Stevens on dobro and vocals, his Mama Corn bandmate Brad Floyd on mandolin, his Mt. City Grass bandmates Denny and Kate Cerully on guitar/vocals and upright bass, and Sav Sankaran, who also played some dobro and sang.

This would actually be the evening that I learned just how talented a musician Sav is. I had seen Sav play upright bass before with Rock & Rye a few months back, but had no idea how widespread this man's talents are. As the gathered musicians played a selection of bluegrass standards and favorites, the Hitching Post audience became more and more aware of Sav's instrumental skills, and then his vocal skills, as he demonstrated excellent range and quality, even holding out a long note on "Working on a Building." Remember Sav's name, this guy has some serious musical skills!

This edition of the Bluegrass Jam was laid back, relaxed and enjoyable, as this gathering of musicians enjoyed each other's company and making music together. The mood was pleasant and cordial, and the Post's ribs again kicked ass!

It’s double dobro madness, as Songsmith and Sav flank Denny Cerully during this month’s Bluegrass Jam at the Hitching Post.

Hitching Post main man Butch’s mom tries her hand at the upright bass.

GRADE E @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 4/12/07

After putting in a late Thursday night at the workplace, I headed to Al's Tavern for some grub and grooves; the grub courtesy of Al's menu, and the grooves courtesy of Grade E.

Singer/guitarist Chris Vipond, bassist/singer Mike Stanley and drummer Todd Harshbarger were laying on the grooves thick and heavy as I arrived shortly before midnight. They did one of their original tunes, "Be," before using Sublime's "What I Got" for a launching pad to ignite a funk jam that incorporated the Mike-fronted versions of House Of Pain's "Jump Around," Snoop Dogg's "Gin & Juice" and James Brown's "Sex Machine." During the latter number, Mike improvised on the lyrics, even referencing Al's ever-popular sandwich, Al's Hooter, singing "You can add the egg for a dollar." Grade E was obviously in groove and medley mode this night, as they instantly launched into another lengthy nonstop jam that fused together a Dire Straits/Pink Floyd-flavored spin on the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive," Beastie Boys' "No Sleep Til Brooklyn," Phish's "Down with Disease," their own original "End" and more. Grade E then brought the night to a close with another original tune, "Lucy."

It was again another fun Grade E groovefest, as the group went with the flow, improvised along the way and went where the grooves took them. The smallish Al's Tavern enjoyed it, cheering and bantering with the band along the way. Once again, the blend of Grade E grooves and Al's food provided a great close to the evening.

Groovin’ with Grade E at Al’s Tavern.

TYNE & THE FASTLYNE/TED McCLOSKEY & THE HI FI’S @ THE PHYRST, STATE COLLEGE 4/13/07

I had been itching to get back to Happy Valley for some music, and I had also been itching to catch a look at Ted McCloskey's latest band endeavor, the HiFi's. Finally, this night, the planets aligned correctly, and I finally had an opportunity to do the Happy Valley roadtrip.

Since Fridays always feature a doubleheader of bands at the Phyrst, I made a point to get there early to check in with the first band of the evening, Tyne & the Fastlyne. I first saw this band two years ago, also at the Phyrst; the group then featured namesake Tyne Replogle on banjo and vocals, former Queen Bee & the Blue Hornets Band guitarist Mark Ross, Pat McGinnis on bass and Jack Wilkinson on drums. Now, Tyne and Jack remain, joined by Bill Wilgus on guitar and mandolin, and John "JK" Kennedy on upright bass.

I arrived in time to catch all of Tyne & the Fastlyne's second and final set. With the Phyrst already pretty crowded at this early point of the evening, I ended up procuring a seat near the end of the main bar...right in front of the stage! I was quickly impressed with this band's evolution as their set unfolded. Tyne & the Fastlyne did a blend of roots and Americana-based sounds, spanning traditional and modern bluegrass, acoustic and electric country, honky tonk and more. The group did numbers from Lyle Lovett, Delbert McClinton, New Grass Revival, original songs and more.

When I first saw this band two years ago, Tyne was just starting to expand her musical horizons into realms such as blues and honky tonk, and soaking in the influences of people such as Mark Ross and Pat McGinnis. Now at center stage, Tyne has evolved into a poised and confident performer who sounds totally at home in her current world of musical material. She sang with gusto, range and grit, and her banjo skills remain exemplary! She and the rest of the band seemed comfortable and confident together, and the overall musicianship was tight and strong. And playing the early show each Friday at the Phyrst has helped evolve this band's fan base as well, as the house was packed, and the fans were yelling out requests.

I was very impressed with Tyne & the Fastlyne, and was glad I got to the Phyrst early to witness them.

Tyne & the Fastlyne entertaining the early Friday evening crowd at the Phyrst.

Tyne Replogle of Tyne & the Fastlyne.

Again, Tyne & the Fastlyne.

After a 30-minute intermission to change over gear, the late show with Ted McCloskey & the HiFi's was ready to begin. Not surprisingly, man of all trades Ted McCloskey was front and center, singing lead vocals, playing guitar and harmonica. Flanking Ted were two familiar Happy Valley names, Rene Witzke on bass and vocals, and Daryl Branford on drums.

I soon realized early into their first set why I was hearing such rave reviews about this band. These guys kicked ass! These guys blended rock, rockabilly, funk, blues and more into a driving, high-energy sound that got the now packed-house Phyrst audience rowdy from the get-go. During the first set, the group did a variety of sounds, from more obscure numbers I didn't readily recognize to original songs, to a rendition of James Brown's "Sex Machine." The group did several original tunes from Ted's latest CD Who's Gonna Listen Anyway, including "Hey Kid" and "Someone Took Away Your Microphone;" and finished the set with one of Ted's earlier originals, "Beautiful Dead," which cleverly incorporated the Rolling Stones' "Midnight Rambler" into the midsection.

During intermission, I witnessed Penn State bacchanalia at its finest. Students were celebrating Friday night with pitchers upon pitchers of beer and other drinks. The line outside the men's room was growing, and I noted that the Phyrst bar staff (as with most of the watering holes in this town) had to be a special breed to keep up with all the constant orders for booze. I also noted how the barmaids had to be almost athletic and have the demeanor of linebackers in order to get drinks to patrons, and clear empties from the tables.

Soon, Ted and the Hi-Fi's were ready to go with their second set. This set mixed it up more, starting with Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues," before doing James' "Laid." The group then did a slower and jazzier number before entering a funky spin on the Beatles' "Come Together." After another funkier number, the group did another of Ted's original songs, "Jet Set Suffragette," and continued with versions of White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army," the Kinks' "All Day and All of the Night" and the Stray Cats' "Rock This Town" to finish the set.

At this point, conditions were getting tight where I was seated, with the crush of people in front of the stage making it difficult for me to turn around on my bar stool. Fortunately, Nightcrawlers drum man Steve Arnold had earlier invited me to grab a seat at the unofficial "VIP" area between the stage and men's room, where it was less congested. At this point of the evening, I took him up on it.

The party was feverish as Ted and the Hi-Fi's resumed the music for their final set. Opening with the Stones' "Paint It Black," the group kept the energy level high and the vibes festive. They continued with a rowdy spin on Depeche Mode/Marilyn Manson's "Personal Jesus," before shifting into an upbeat rendition of Big Bill Broonzy's "Key to the Highway." After another song I didn't recognize, the group closed out the set with MC5's "Kick Out The Jams." But with the Phyrst stagefront crowd loudly demanding an encore, the group broke out a short, punkish number to finish out the night.

> start to end, Ted McCloskey & the Hi-Fi's delivered a vibrant, top-notch show! All three of these guys can play their instruments very well; Ted demonstrated his guitar mastery throughout the evening, making his instrument wail passionately on the more soulful numbers, and shredding outright on others. Rene and Daryl made for a lethal rhythm section; laying down a feisty foundation for Ted to launch his fireworks. This band was clearly having fun and enjoying their time on the stage, and the crowd fed off that vibe, and that energy exchange between band and crowd elevated the mood as the show progressed.

Bottom line: The hype I was hearing about Ted McCloskey & the Hi-Fi's was true, and I came away very impressed with my first encounter with this group. I will be back to experience more. The group plays every Friday at the Phyrst, and they release a CD this summer. I recommend them!

Here is some video footage from Ted McCloskey & the HiFis’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09591.MPG

In Hi-Fi, Ted McCloskey.

Ted McCloskey & the Hi-Fi’s.

Again, Ted McCloskey.

Daryl Branford of Ted McCloskey & the Hi-Fi’s.

Ted McCloskey and Rene Witzke of Ted McCloskey & the Hi-Fi’s.

With a festive Phyrst crowd jammed up front, Ted McCloskey & the Hi-Fi’s.

Again, Daryl Branford of Ted McCloskey & the Hi-Fi’s.

Once again, Ted McCloskey.

Showing some of his fretboard wizardry, Ted McCloskey.

BURGI’S SPRING ROCK & BLUES FEST @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 4/14/07

Back on Veterans Day in November, Burgi's Roundhouse hosted their first Burgi's Bluesfest, and it was a resounding success. Burgi's staged a sequel this night, the Burgi's Spring Rock & Blues Fest. Two of the participants in the first Bluesfest, the Tony Mollick Project and Felix & the Hurricanes, were back for this one. And joining them for the musical festivities this night were Johnstown's popular Desperadoes and a new band from Pittsburgh, The Sofa King Cool Band.

The mood was a little apprehensive heading into this night, as Mother Nature threatened to throw a monkey wrench into the works. A forecasted late-season winter storm was expected to start this night, possibly dumping several inches of snow on the area. Fortunately, as showtime approached at Burgi's, the forecast didn't seem to faze the music fans, and a good-sized crowd began to assemble by the time the show was set to start.

The Desperadoes kicked off the evening. Singer/guitarist Mark Middleton, bassist/singer Mike "Soupy" Suppes and drummer Harold Knappenberger did what they do best, rocking the classics and fielding requests from the Burgi's audience. Opening with Neil Young's "Old Man," the Desperadoes played classics and requests from Badfinger, Led Zeppelin, George Thorogood, the Byrds, the Beatles, America, Bad Company, Roy Orbison, Jimi Hendrix, Lenny Kravitz and more. Highlights included the Led Zeppelin double-shot of "Thank You" and "All My Love," and witnessing as the Desperadoes reacted on the fly and pulled out such requests as the Byrds' "Eight Miles High," Neil Young's "Cowgirl in the Sand," and America's "Ventura Highway." I later learned that Mark had oral surgery just the day before, so his voice wasn't operating at 100 percent. But he did a decent job overall, the Desperdaoes got the show started on the right foot.

The Desperadoes kick off the music at Burgi's Spring Rock & Blues Fest.

Harold Knappenberger of The Desperadoes.

Mike Suppes of The Desperadoes.

Mark Middleton of The Desperadoes.

Again, The Desperadoes. This group has been rocking stages throughout western PA for nearly 30 years!

Again, Mark Middleton of The Desperadoes.

One more time, The Desperadoes.

Up next was the Tony Mollick Project, and the latest step in the namesake's recovery from last year's motorcycle accident. As you may recall Tony's first night back on stage was at the fall Burgi's Bluesfest, as he sang with some guests playing guitar. This night, Tony was playing guitar again, and he and his band - including Altoona native Fuzz McGirk on bass and David Blake on drums - were back with a vengeance, scorching out spirited blues-rock original songs and classics from Stevie Ray Vaughan, the Allman Brothers, Santana, ZZ Top and more. After the group's stormy read of ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses," Tony proudly and defiantly proclaimed, "I'm not putting this goddamn guitar down again!" Other highlights included TMP originals such as "Likely Story," "Little Stingray," "Rusty Angel," and one from Tony's and David's Groove Junkies days, "Justice" with its "Iko Iko" midsection. The group also broke out smoking versions of Gov't Mule/Allman Brothers' "Rocking Horse," Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Willie the (P)imp," a funky read of the Allmans' "Whipping Post," the "Peter Gunn Theme" and Stray Cats' "Rumble in Brighton."

The Tony Mollick Project.

Once again able to strap on his guitar, Tony Mollick.

Again, Tony Mollick.

Altoona native Fuzz McGirk of The Tony Mollick Project.

The Tony Mollick Project triggers some dance floor action at Burgi's.

Making their first visit to Burgi's stage this night was the Sofa King Cool Band from Pittsburgh, who played next. Fronted by guitarist/singer Tony Caldarelli and singer/guitarist Simon Beeching, The Sofa King Cool Band played a tasteful selection of classic rock and blues from the Allman Brothers, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan and more. This group's style and sound was tasteful and tight, even suggesting a milder Hootie & the Blowfish sound on their read of "Jesus Just Left Chicago." An added highlight to their set came midway through, when the group introduced a special guest singer, Jessie Rack. She belted out some incredible soulful and bluesy vocals on such numbers as Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit," Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billie Joe" and more. The Sofa King Cool Band's first Altoona appearance was well-received; hopefully they'll be back again soon!

Making their first Altoona appearance, The Sofa King Cool Band from Pittsburgh.

Tony Caldarelli of The Sofa King Cool Band.

Simon Beeching of The Sofa King Cool Band.

Again, The Sofa King Cool Band.

Again, Tony Caldarelli of The Sofa King Cool Band.

Again, Simon Beeching of The Sofa King Cool Band.

With guest singer Jessie Rack, The Sofa King Cool Band.

Singing some guest lead vocals for The Sofa King Cool Band from Pittsburgh, Jessie Rack.

And Felix & the Hurricanes slammed the lid on the night with a smoking set of their own brand of blues-rocking originals and favorites. The Hurricanes quickly filled the Burgi's dance floor with original song favorites like "Walking A Straight Line," "Talk About Love," "Cut That Line" and more, plus classics from Badfinger, John Mellencamp, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Eagles, Blackfoot, Grand Funk Railroad, Allman Brothers and more. The Hurricanes were feeling it; bassist Jeff Clapper's voice was ringing out proudly when he sang lead, and lead 'Cane Felix Kos dazzled with his guitar solo fireworks, including some tasty slide work during the Allman Brothers' "Midnight Rider." Late in the set, Tony Mollick joined the 'Canes onstage to sing Jonny Lang's "Rack 'Em Up." The only glitch during the set was caused by an out-of-control drunk who decided that he wanted to sing, and stepped up and grabbed the microphone. It took a few moments before several Burgi's staffers recognized the problem and removed the drunk, who the proceeded to get into a shoving match with another patron while leaving the premises. But drunken derelict notwithstanding, Felix & the Hurricanes slammed the appropriate lid on the evening; as one observing music scene veteran put it, Felix is "like a fine wine."

Again, it was a fun Saturday night of rock and blues, and performances that were hot enough to keep the forecasted winter storm precipitation nearly all rain! It was good to see people braving the forecasted elements to enjoy this show; and here's hoping Burgi's has more of these down the road!

Felix & the Hurricanes quickly fill up the dance floor during Burgi's Spring Rock & Blues Fest.

More dance floor action with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Lead Hurricane Felix Kos.

Bob Watters of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Continuing to keep the dance floor busy, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Tony Mollick steps up to sing with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Again, Felix Kos of Felix & the Hurricanes.

One more time, Felix & the Hurricanes.

These folks were having a good time during Burgi's Spring Rock & Blues Fest.

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/15/07

This night, a new band was gracing the stage at Pellegrine's to finish out the weekend, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Although the name Rise Phoenix Rise is new, at least two of the band members have graced area stages before, most notably drummer Rob Hampton, who left the Poptart Monkeys late last year to form this project. The group's bass player, Ronnie Williams, used to play in the band Teacher's Pet. The rest of the band includes three transplants from Tennessee; singer Gibson and guitarists Chris Bishop and Jarrod Griffith.

Due to workplace "Backyard Rocker" duties this night, I did not arrive at Pellegrine's until late in Rise Phoenix Rise's second set, in time to hear the group do Guns N'Roses' "Sweet Child O'Mine." With a new and unfamiliar band in the house and a cold, steady rain outside, attendance was predictably light.

The third set would give me a good representation of what Rise Phoenix Rise was all about. Launching their nightcap set with Billy Idol's "Rebel Yelkl" and Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69," this group charged out the gate with lots of energy and movement. Gibson demonstrated both a solid voice and ample mobility, quickly working all areas of the stagefront and jumping about. The group did a few of their original songs, which take on a melodic modern punkish slant. They also did favorites from Jimmy Eats World, All American Rejects, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Panic at the Disco, Sublime, Bloodhound Gang, a hip-hop medley and more.

I was impressed with Rise Phoenix Rise's overall energy and excitement level. This group kept the show constantly moving, not giving the dance floor participants any excuse to want to sit down. These guys appeared to be having fun on the stage, and it was infectious with the Pelly's dance floor crowd. Musically they were tight on their instruments, with Rob's ever-steady drumbeats anchoring the fort. And as stated earlier, Gibson showed a solid and steady voice, with good range and clarity; plus a friendly stage presence that kept the crowd involved. And although there wasn't a huge crowd present, Rise Phoenix Rise did succeed in getting bodies onto Pelly's dance floor this night, and seemed to earn at least a few initial Altoona area fans.

Rise Phoenix Rise served notice to Altoona this night that they are a rising party force. Based on the response of those who witnessed them this night, Rise Phoenix Rise are likely to become regular visitors to Altoona area party stages.

Here is some video footage from Rise Phoenix Rise’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09592.MPG

Making their Pellegrine’s debut, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Delivering EN-er-GY onstage, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Ronnie Williams and Chris Bishop of Rise Phoenix Rise.

No longer battling cereal companies in court, Rob Hampton of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Chris Bishop of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Ronnie Williams of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Jarrod Griffith of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Gibson and Jarrod of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Jumping around, Rise Phoenix Rise.

In the spotlight, Rob Hampton of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Rise Phoenix Rise triggers some dance floor activity at Pellegrine’s.

Once again, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Taking the party to the dance floor crowd, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Yet again, Rise Phoenix Rise.

A rising phoenix to watch for on area stages, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Chris and Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

JP’S HAIKU

Burgi's Spring Bluesfest
Tony Mollick plays guitar
His comeback complete!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner