· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 8/4/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Sep 01, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 8/4/03:

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ BLAIR MEDIA BLOOD BLITZ @ JAFFA MOSQUE, ALTOONA 7/31/03

I had seen Felix & the Hurricanes perform in many different situations over the years, but this day would be the first – the Hurricanes performing at a Red Cross Bloodmobile!

The occasion was the annual Blair Media Blood Blitz at the Jaffa Mosque. This is always the biggest bloodmobile in Blair County every year, as the Red Cross enlists the services of all broadcast media in Blair County – radio and television – to encourage donors to come out and give blood. This year’s Blood Blitz would be the biggest yet, as the Red Cross was launching a special promotion to attract new donors, The Grateful Life Tour. The ‘Tour’ followed a nostalgic early 70’s motif, with blood donors receiving special edition “Grateful Life” tie-dye T-shirts, love beads and more. In keeping with the 70’s theme, the Red Cross decided to have bands perform at the two biggest bloodmobiles of the tour, the Blair Media Blood Blitz this day and the final bloodmobile of the ‘Tour’ in late August.

I got to witness bits and pieces of the Hurricanes’ performance, in between live broadcast duties on Q94, and donating blood myself! As I laid on the table top making my donation, I could hear Jeff Clapper’s bass throbbing in the distance, and was picking out select tunes from the ‘Canes’ set. The group was actually set up near the seating area, where donors waited to make their donation. While the group had to keep the volume down, it was still a good vibe, and several waiting donors could be seen tapping their feet and applauding after songs.

Yours truly, waiting to give the gift of life…

Yours truly, being informed I wasn’t too ‘hot-blooded’ to give blood this day.

A Red Cross volunteer determines which part of the arm she should draw the wing sauce from…

Oops, it looks like they drew a little too much…(just kidding).

Meanwhile, Felix & the Hurricanes keep the awaiting blood donor masses happy.

In between sets, Felix and Jeff are joined by (the freshly-drained) yours truly and Red Cross Blood Services director Georgette Ostinowsky.

THE 2003 WING-OFF CHRONICLES CHAPTER IV: FLIGHT 19 @ LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 7/31/03

Now past the midway point of Lakemont Park’s Wing-Off season, Flight 19 did the honors of providing music to the wing-eating hordes this night. I was again able to get there relatively early, procure servings of Mueller’s Pub’s regular hot and hot garlic wings, and position myself at a good observation spot at one of the front picnic tables.

Flight 19’s first set was fairly uneventful, except for frontman Brian Thomas breaking his mic stand (according to the way he was talking when he apologized to soundman Brian McConnell of Freelance Audio, Brian must go through mic stands pretty frequently). Otherwise, Brian and Flight 19 warmed up the Wing-Off minions with tunes from American Hi-Fi, Lenny Kravitz, Weezer, Cold, Drivin’n’Cryin,’ Three Doors Down and more. John McKelvey fronted the group on a version of the Cars’ “Dangerous Type, and guitarist Scott Imler provided a public service reminder to the audience to not kill pelicans.

The crowd steadily increased as Flight 19 entered their second set, and performed tunes from Van Morrison, Commodores, Led Zeppelin, Violent Femmes and more. The group broke out a version of KISS’ “I Was Made For Loving You,” and also a version of Blondie’s “One Way or Another.” The group also did two original songs, “Migraine” and “Three of a Kind.” Brian didn’t break any more mic stands, and no pelicans were harmed in the performance of this set.

With the size of the wings at this year’s Wing-Off on the smallish side (pelicans may not have been harmed during the Wing-Off, but judging by the size of the wings, Altoona’s pigeon and mourning dove flocks must have been thinned out), I procured an extra half-dozen wings from Beerbellies before the start of Flight 19’s third and final set. The nightcap set turned out to be the most eventful set, as Flight 19 fired on all cylinders through tunes from Good Charlotte, Godsmack, Beastie Boys, AC/DC, Blur, Bush and more. Along the way, the group broke out their bluesy original “Unlock My Heart.” The highlight of the set, and of the whole evening, came at the end, when Brian Thomas brought his son, Ben, onstage to help bark out backing vocals on Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.” By this time, a number of fans were assembled at stagefront and cheering both father and son on; it was a hard-rocking, happy vibe to bring this Wing-Off chapter to a close.

John McKelvey of Flight 19.

Brian Thomas and Jim Phillips of Flight 19.

Flight 19 lights it up onstage at the Lakemont Park Wing-Off.

Bobby “The Lakemonster” rocks out with Flight 19.

Jim Phillips of Flight 19.

Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Darren Hand of Flight 19.

Brian Thomas and son Ben crank out the voice at the Wing-Off.

DAVE PAHANISH @ “SKELLERPALOOZA” @ RATHSKELLAR, STATE COLLEGE 7/31/03

This turned into a weird night. Following the Wing-Off, my game plan was to journey to the All American Rathskeller in State College to check out “Skellerpalooza.” I had been planning on catching the Rathskeller’s weekly Thursday original band showcase for several months. Every time I had picked out one I wanted to attend, either I had to work late at the day job, another show surfaced on the same night I did not want to miss, or one of the bands scheduled for “Skellerpalooza” would cancel at the last minute. Finally on this day, the planets aligned correctly, and “Skellerpalooza” would finish up my live band show tripleheader for this day.

Well, sort of. After arriving in State College and parking my car in the Pugh Street parking garage, I encountered fellow Pennsylvania Musician scribe Steve Morrow. Steve was also in State College this night for “Skellarpalooza,” and interested in checking out the same two bands I had traveled to State College to see – Josa Step and No Refill. But as I met Steve, he was just returning to his car from the Rathskeller, and informed me that BOTH BANDS DIDN’T SHOW UP! The only performer to show up was solo performer Dave Pahanish from Pittsburgh, and he wasn’t scheduled to go onstage until midnight. Steve had a long roadtrip back home ahead of him, so he opted to head back home. I opted to stick around and kill some time in State College, and eventually made my way to the Skeller to take in Dave Pahanish’s set and what “Skellerpalooza” there was this night.

I’m glad I did. As I arrived at the Rathskeller towards midnight, I learned that in lieu of the other two bands not showing up, Dave Pahanish was allowed to start early, and did two sets this night. He was just wrapping up his first set with a version of the Beatles’ “A Day in the Life” as I entered the band room.

In talking with Dave between sets, I learned that he worked closely with former Pittsburgh national recording group The Gathering Field, and actually performed a few shows in Pittsburgh with various Gathering Field members backing him up. A few members also appear on Dave’s CD’s, “Anywhere” and “Shine.”

Dave began his nightcap set with several original songs. Quickly I realized that Dave was a passionate and expressive performer, who sank some emotional capital into his performance, both vocally and lyrically. His lyrics were thoughtful and observational looks at both his own emotions and those of others around him. Dave sold these lyrics by packing emotion and expression behind every word. And as he arrived at a version of The Who’s “Baba O’Reilly,” he extended that intensity into his guitar, as he combined an aggressive playing style with masterful use of effects. Dave then performed an instrumental number, followed by the bluesy original “Almost Home,” where he demonstrated some delta blues-styled slidework. And Dave capped the night with a spirited and soaring version of “Amazing Grace.”

It was only one set, but it sold me. I came away impressed with Dave Pahanish’s performance, and was glad I stuck around to see what he was about. Dave appears periodically in the State College area, and might be hitting stages in the Altoona area in the not too distant future.

Dave Pahanish entertains at Skellerpalooza.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES/BEYOND REASON @ CLUBCAR CAFÉ, ALTOONA 8/1/03

The lure of bands and women brought me to Altoona’s Clubcar Café this night. The women were the entrants in Q94’s 2004 Calendar Girl Contest, which kicked off this night. The bands were Felix & the Hurricanes and Beyond Reason.

This was my first opportunity to see Beyond Reason. For those who are still asking, NO, this is not the same Beyond Reason as the New York-based power-metal band from a decade ago that local metal frontman Todd Giornesto sang for. This edition of Beyond Reason formed from the ashes of Relative Minor, and are based in the Cresson/Gallitzin area. Beyond Reason was the band that eventually won the previous week’s “Band Discovery Showcase” event at the Clubcar, and the opening slot for Felix & the Hurricanes this night.

A good-sized crowd of onlookers was on hand, both for the bands and the Q94 Calendar Girl Contest. Shortly after the contest concluded, Beyond Reason opened with a set mixing rock and roll favorites from the 60’s through early 90’s; opening with Cracker’s “What The World Needs Now,” and continuing with tunes from Tom Petty, Mitch Ryder, Bryan Adams, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Wilson Pickett, Georgia Satellites, Black Crowes and more. Singer/lead guitarist Dan Myers II, rhythm guitarist Tom Urbain, bassist Mike Lakovitch and fill-in drummer Mike Waxmonski were solid and steady as they mixed their variety of tunes. Dan’s vocals were strong and on the mark, and the band provided a full-bodied, muscular wall of guitar sound behind him. They weren’t flashy or frilly, and didn’t display a lot of onstage movement; but Beyond Reason was consistently strong and got the job done, and at least a few ladies took to the dance floor during the course of their set.

As I didn’t feel like leaving a good party, I stuck around for one full set of the Hurricanes. Opening with their original song “Walking the Straight Line;” Felix, Bob and Jeff sounded sharp as expected on tunes from the Allman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grand Funk Railroad, ZZ Top and more. The group introduced several original numbers such as “Issues” and “Little Ears;” broke out some rowdy country with a version of John Michael Montgomery’s “Sold (Grundy County Auction Incident);” and ended their first set with a powerful version of Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold.” The Clubcar dance floor saw increased action as the ‘Canes’ set continued; this reporter even got pulled up!

Satisfied to have witnessed Beyond Reason for the first time, and content that the Hurricanes’ party was going strong, I opted to leave the party after the ‘Canes’ first set, and catch a band playing the ‘Toona for the first time…

A dancer struts her stuff while Beyond Reason looks on.

Beyond Reason.

Dan Myers II of Beyond Reason.

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

For the chemically-enhanced visitors to Rockpage, psychedelic Felix.

And psychedelic Hurricanes.

TIN PAN ALLEY @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 8/1/03

From the Clubcar, I headed a few blocks away to catch the unknown quantity in town this night, Tin Pan Alley at the 4D’s Lounge. I had heard of the name Tin Pan Alley a good bit over the past year or two, but this was the first time I actually got to see them for myself. A typically light Friday night crowd populated the 4D’s as I arrived and quickly located a table near stagefront, ready to take in Tin Pan Alley’s final set of the evening.

A fivesome, Tin Pan Alley performed a tight, high-energy set mixing current and 80’s favorites. Although I did not catch her name (and Tin Pan Alley’s website does not list any information about the band other than showdates), Tin Pan Alley’s singer was a pint-sized powderkeg of a frontlady, who demonstrated a fine, strong singing voice and lots of personality and charm. She confidently worked the stagefront area, having fun with the few folks on the dance floor, and even taking the party out and into the isolated pockets of seated fans. The rest of the band, including a guitar player, bassist, keyboardist and drummer, played their music dead on target and tight, maintaining an almost airtight pace that kept the party moving forward. The group kept it fresh, too, mixing songs such as Cranberries’ “Zombie,” No Doubt’s “Just a Girl,” Jane’s Addiction’s “Jane Says,” Nena’s “99 Redballoons,” U2’s “Pride (In The Name of Love)” and more. An unexpected highlight of this set was Flight 19 drummer Darren Hand sitting in behind the kit and providing an energized beat to fuel Tin Pan Alley’s version of Jimmy Eats World’s “Middle.”

Although not many people were on hand to witness their first 4D’s performance, Tin Pan Alley made it count for those who did attend, and I came away impressed with my first look at this group. If Tin Pan Alley can consistently deliver this caliber of quality high-energy party every time they visit the ‘Toona, their days of lightly attended shows in these parts should be numbered.

The guitarist for Tin Pan Alley.

The singer for Tin Pan Alley.

Again, the singer for Tin Pan Alley. (Again, I wish I could list their names, but there’s no info about this band on their website other than their schedule of playdates. I guess they like a little mystery surrounding their identities…)

The drummer for Tin Pan Alley.

Tin Pan Alley parties down the 4D’s.

Flight 19’s Darren Hand lends a hand behind Tin Pan Alley’s drum kit.

Once again, Tin Pan Alley.

CHAPTER 5/SUICIDE SWITCH @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 8/2/03

Although there were several band options for me to choose from on this Saturday night, I was compelled to take in Chapter 5 and Suicide Switch, both making their debuts at City Limits this night.

Why? I had been informed by Suicide Switch frontman Cheeze earlier in the week about something very unusual that would happen at this night’s show. And as I made my arrival at City Limits, it was already happening…An uncharacteristic ACOUSTIC set, featuring Cheeze and Chapter 5 frontman Tim Mort strumming acoustic. This acoustic set was an almost 180-degree departure from the hardcore punk and metalcore sounds of Chapter 5 and Suicide Switch respectively. But it worked. Cheeze and Tim performed dark-themed acoustic songs about mistakes made and violent acts regretted; I think the titles of the last two songs they performed were “Pick Up The Gun” and “My Mistake.” The songs had strong melodic lines, and Cheeze demonstrated an unexpectedly smooth singing voice. According to Tim, they developed these songs during informal jam sessions at Custom Skin Art, and decided to play a few of them out. Both musicians said they hoped to continue to develop the acoustic phase of their show, as something different they could bring to the table to expand their repertoire.

Of course, the main show was the maelstrom and intensity of the duo’s two parent bands, and it throttled as expected. Suicide Switch performed two sets of raw unadulterated metalcore, throwing caution to the wind and unleashing their full wrath. Cheeze was veins-threatening-to-pop-from-his-forehead intense as he went full-vent on original tunes like “Say Goodbye,” “Blind Rage,” “Soulless,” “Bitch,” “Truth,” and their intense trademark showstopper “In The Wake.” The group also pulled out one remake, Hatebreed’s “Last Breath.” Even though Suicide Switch’s apocalyptic brand of metalcore was a radical change from the acoustic set that opened the evening, most of the light-to-midsized City Limits crowd stuck around and didn’t flee from the building.

Chapter 5 then performed the nightcap set, unleashing their brand of scalding hardcore punk original songs. They showcased a number of tunes from their forthcoming new CD, “Anger Stress Management;” including the anthemic “Normal Life,” “Liberty Eyes” and more. Chapter 5 too was total intensity and passion, as lead throat Mike Long and singer/bassist Tim Mort barked and gang-shouted their lyrics about pride, individuality and standing for your beliefs. Although not crowded, several fans congregated at stagefront to cheer on Chapter 5.

Although not legendary as shows go, this one at least served notice to the acoustic side of Suicide Switch and Chapter 5, and gave at least a few fans an opportunity to blow off some steam and unleash some pent-up aggression.

Kicking off the night, Tim Mort and Cheeze unplugged.

Dan Mort of Suicide Switch.

Unleashing the beast, Cheeze of Suicide Switch.

Suicide Switch blisters the walls at City Limits.

Shaun Barr of Suicide Switch.

Chapter 5 continues the onslaught at City Limits.

Tim Mort and Mike Long of Chapter 5.

Mike Long of Chapter 5.

Billy Mort of Chapter 5.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: