· The Final Cut
MEMORIAL DAY WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/29/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Jul 27, 2007 

MEMORIAL DAY WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/29/07

RUSTY GUN REVIVAL @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 5/23/07

The Hitching Post was my first destination this Wednesday evening, to take in the latest hoedown by Rusty Gun Revival.

It was a good hoedown throwdown as I arrived at the Post. Folks were dancing as singer/guitarist Slim, upright bass player Red and drummer Tom coupled together their original rootsy-tonk numbers "That Girl Is Hot" and "Step It Up N'Go," and continued with the Elvis triple-shot of "Little Sister," "Mystery Train" and "That's Alright." The dancers kept dancing, and other folks were clapping along as this party continued with the ever-popular "Wagon Wheels" and Lefty Frizzell's "Down By the Railroad Track." The dancers returned to the floor for Rusty Gun Revival's spin on the traditional "Tell Old Bill," followed by their original tune "Smoke" and the surfabilly instrumental "LF/T." The group tapped the Man in Black archive for "Folsom Prison Blues," before closing out the set with the Statler Brothers' "Writing on the Wall." The festive Hitching Post onlookers wanted to hear more, so the trio responded with the Old Crow Medicine Show-popularized "Tell It To Me."

Rusty Gun Revival sounded good as always. Red's bass thumping and Tom's snare snapping provided the foundation for Slim's sturdy voice and guitar work. This was a night when the crowd and band fed off one another's energy, with Rusty Gun Revival often riding each song to a fiery crescendo. It was good to see these guys get a fired up Hitching Post crowd for a change!

The music was good, the ribs were good, the party was good, and life was good!

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 5/23/07

After departing the Hitching Post, I headed to City Limits to take in some of Dustin Burley's weekly Wednesday performance.

Since my main purpose there was to procure the monthly entertainment lineup from City Limits main man Claudio, I wasn't paying close attention to Dustin's show. It was a quiet night at City Limits, and only a handful of people were in the house to watch Dustin and his guests, including Sav Sankaran on bass and Dustin's Plazma bandmate Kyle Kovach on drums. I didn't recognize a lot of what Dustin and his friends were performing this night, except for the Grateful Dead's "Eyes of the World." Overall it sounded good, with Dustin and guests freely jamming away and exploring on each song, transitioning between songs with inventive jamming passages.

The lack of audience didn't make this a particularly memorable night, but it was still cool to see Dustin, Kyle and Sav jamming together, and shaking the musical formula for this weekly show up a little bit.

THE RED ARROW @ WHITE LADY TAVERN, BUCKHORN 5/25/07

I had been wanting to check out Dick Kos' new band project, The Red Arrow, ever since it first surfaced last winter; but schedule conflicts didn't allow me to do so until this night, when I headed up the hill to the White Lady Tavern to see this band for the first time.

It was a quiet Friday night up on the mountain, and the White Lady was mostly empty as I first arrived and touched base with Tammy behind the bar to procure my first frosty brew. The Red Arrow - Dick on lead guitar and vocals, Deb Bush on lead vocals, Don "Turk" Schnars on rhythm guitar, Larry Smelley on bass and Mike Crocetti on drums - were on break, and getting ready to return to the stage for their final set of the night.

Although only a handful of people were in the main band room, The Red Arrow got a few of them up and dancing as they resumed the music with John Mellencamp's "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." Deb also fronted the band on AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long," before Dick sang lead on Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama." Deb again sang lead on Robert Palmer's "Bad Case of Loving You" and Pat Benatar's "Hit Me with Your Best Shot;" before the group gearshifted into country mode for the Dick-fronted rendition of Hank Williams Jr.'s ""Little Less Talk, Lot More Action." Dick then broke out his low growl on ZZ Top's "La Grange," before his Spanish-styled guitar lead-in triggered Richie Valens' "La Bamba." The dance floor again saw some action as the group did another John Mellencamp number, "Hurts So Good," before Deb fronted the group on a series of Fleetwood Mac favorites; "Don't Stop," "Rhiannon," "Go Your Own Way" and "Say You Love Me." The Red Arrow then finished out the night with Journey's "Lights" and Jimi/Bob's "All Along the Watchtower."

Anyone versed in local railroad history knows that the Red Arrow was a famous Pennsylvania Railroad passenger train that plunged over Bennington Curve near Gallitzin in 1947, killing 24 people. I can happily report that the Red Arrow onstage at the White Lady this night was not a train wreck, and in spite of the small turnout, did a decent job. Deb demonstrated some range, grit and spunk on the vocal front, while Dick flashed some feisty and inspired guitar work along the way. It was good solid, sturdy rock'n'roll, delivered with a smile.

With members still settling in, The Red Arrow is getting up to speed. But this band is poised to bring some hearty rock'n'roll to area stages, and this night showed that they are definitely on their way.

The Red Arrow, entertaining at the White Lady.

Again, The Red Arrow.

Deb Bush of The Red Arrow.

Again, Deb Bush of The Red Arrow.

Once again, The Red Arrow.

Deb Bush and Dick Kos of The Red Arrow.

Dick Kos of The Red Arrow.

Once more, The Red Arrow.

Once again, Deb Bush of The Red Arrow.

CAMINO SKY @ THE PETERSBURG TAVERN PETERSBURG 5/26/07

Although I was contemplating several band options this Saturday night, I had a nagging curiosity for the unknown this night, and thus headed to a room I had not yet set foot in, the Petersburg Tavern in deep, dark Huntingdon County. This would be a good opportunity to get caught up on the latest with Huntingdon County trio Camino Sky.

Although I've driven through Petersburg several times in daylight hours with no problem, I got a little confused trying to get there at night, and did the scenic route on foggy back roads to finally arrive at the Petersburg Tavern towards the end of Camino Sky's first set. As I expected, the band – singer/guitarist Josh Miles, bassist Joe Shriner and drummer Dave Wessels – looked a little surprised to see a local music journalist enter this off the beaten path venue to catch their performance. The group finished out their set with renditions of Green Day's "American Idiot," the Police's "Message in a Bottle," and their own interesting arrangement of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall," a harder-edged version played in a different key and tempo.

I sat at the bar and took in the environs at the Petersburg Tavern. Although on the small side, there were at least a few people present to take in the band and enjoy a few brews this night. Bad Daze Shelly (BadDazeRob’s better half) was hard at work behind the bar keeping the patrons served.

Soon Camino Sky kicked off their next set with an original tune, "Standoff." Joe then sang lead on the group's rendition of Tool's "Stinkfist," and the group continued with their blend of hard-hitting current and classic rock; doing tunes from Seether, Sublime and Violent Femmes. Next was a lengthy and jamming rendition of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues," which featured solo highlights; first with Josh's guitar solo, where he took the instrument behind his neck, and in close proximity to the pool table, demonstrated some 8-ball slide. The spotlight then switched to Dave, who pounded out a hearty drum solo, before his bandmates joined him to turn it into a 3-way percussion jam solo. Next was the group's spin on Alice In Chains' "Man in the Box," which triggered one of the non-musical highlights of the night. Camino Sky was rocking the house so hard that they stirred up one of the indigenous residents, a bushy-looking centipede, which made its way out from under the pool table and across the floor towards the bar. We watched the critter, which seemed to avoid being stepped on, and reportedly made its way to the other side of the room. Camino Sky continued the rowdiness with Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch," the Bizkit take on "Faith" and another original song carryover from their Anything Jane inception, "Novocain," before a tune I think called "Roll a Joint" finished out the set.

So far, I was pretty impressed with Camino Sky. Their sound was fiery and hard-driving, as all three members were going for broke on their respective instruments. I was particularly amazed at Dave’s drum skills; this guy was just a flurry of activity behind the kit, delivering power and finesse! I also liked how this band stepped outside the box and gave familiar tunes their own unique hard-rocking slants and arrangements, and improvised on the moment. It was hard-rocking, feverish fun, and the small Petersburg Tavern crowd got into it more as the group’s set progressed.

Soon Camino Sky returned with an abbreviated final set, opening with their own uniquely hard-rocking arrangement on Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight.” They followed that up with another original song, “Generation,” before launching into a hard-hitting assault on Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire.” The group escalated the adrenaline on Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated,” before ending the night on the wild side with Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name.”

The final fireworks of the night, though, wouldn’t be provided by Camino Sky, but by Bad Daze Shelly. One of the night’s patrons turned A-hole and reportedly roughed up a woman in the parking lot, and then made the mistake of sauntering back into the bar later as if nothing happened. Shelly ordered the wayward redneck to leave, but the idiot dissed and ignored her. Wrong move. Shelly went ballistic on him, brandishing her assistants "Bud" (a broken pool cue) and "Billy" (as in "club"); it took Bad Daze Rob’s best efforts to prevent Shelly from laying the royal beatdown on the offender, who finally realized he was outnumbered and exited the premises. Fun and excitement in Huntingdon County on a Saturday night!

It was a fun night and roadtrip. Camino Sky laid down the rock and Bad Daze Shelly laid down the law, it was all good!

Josh Miles of Camino Sky, demonstrating some 8-ball slide.

In mid-stick twirl, Dave Wessels of Camino Sky.

Again, Dave Wessels of Camino Sky.

Dave's drum solo turns into a full band percussion jam!

Joe, Josh and Dave of Camino Sky, giving that kit a workout.

More Camino Sky drum fireworks.

Camino Sky, rocking the Petersburg Tavern.

Once again, Camino Sky.

Singing lead on "Killing in the Name," Dave Wessels of Camino Sky.

Again, Dave Wessels.

Joe Shriner and Josh Miles of Camino Sky.

One more time, Camino Sky.

The Petersburg Tavern patron showing the most leg(s) this night is...

It's a throwdown Saturday night in Huntingdon County. "Supporting the scene," BadDazeRob and Joe Shriner double-team Josh Miles with some sweet chin music.

HELLO, VIXEN @ WHITE LADY TAVERN, BUCKHORN 5/27/07

Memorial Day eve presented several live music options. Green Eggs was playing at Pellegrine’s, but Memorial eve usually draws the biggest crowd of the years to Pelly’s, guaranteeing standing room only and a sweaty mass of humanity. I’ve endured this in past years, but decided it wasn’t for me this year. I first tried a second option, as Randy Jackson and friends were supposed to be filling in for Felix & the Hurricanes at The Hitching Post. But I arrived at the post to learn that the band had cancelled, and it was just a normal bar night instead. So I opted for the third option, heading up the hill to the White Lady Tavern, where Hello, Vixen was ushering in the Memorial Day holiday.

A good-sized crowd was on hand at the White Lady as I arrived, including one musical dignitary, Mick from the Giants Of Science. Hello, Vixen was finishing up their break and getting ready to commence their second set.

Soon the music resumed. Singer Mark Simanski, guitarists Bill Maguire and Brian Simanski, bassist Justin Brown and drummer Steve Holtz launched back into the music with Sponge’s “Plowed,” triggering instant dance floor action. The group continued with their high-velocity blend of current and 90’s rock favorites and original tunes, including numbers from James, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Bush, Sublime and more, plus original songs such as “You Can’t Sing a Song You’ve Never Heard” and a song from their forthcoming new EP called “The Thrill of the Chase.”

The Vixens were tight and on target, and kept the pace airtight between songs, giving the dance floor crowd no reason or opportunity to sit back down. I also liked that this band mixed up their setlist, and kept the selection fresh; I didn’t hear the same songs from the last time that I saw the group.

Soon the final set was underway, beginning with Weezer’s “Say It Ain’t So.” The group welcomed a guest named Rob to do a few moments of impromptu freestyle, before continuing with tunes from Harvey Danger, more Sublime, Blink 182, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (their take on Peter Paul & Mary’s “Leavin’ on a Jet Plane”), Rancid and more. The group introduced another new original number called “My Speech.” Hello, Vixen wrapped up the night with their established night-closer, and a song I always look forward to hearing at their shows, their version of Bouncing Souls’ rousing gang-shout anthem “Olé!”

Again, it was a feverishly good party, as Hello, Vixen kept the octane level high throughout the course of the night. The vibe was festive and the excitement level stayed high; a good time!

It's another party with Hello, Vixen at the White Lady Tavern.

Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen.

Steve Holtz of Hello, Vixen.

A stage-side view of Hello, Vixen.

A familiar sight at the White Lady Tavern; Hello, Vixen and a crowded dance floor.

More partying down with Hello, Vixen.

Mark Simanski and Bill Maguire of Hello, Vixen.

Once again, Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen.

Yet again, Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen.

Again, Bill Maguire of Hello, Vixen.

One more time, Hello, Vixen.

JP’S HAIKU

Petersburg Tavern
Camino Sky rocked the house
Shelly kicked hick’s ass

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »