· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 8/11/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Sep 14, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 8/11/03:

THE 2003 WING-OFF CHRONICLES CHAPTER V: SQUARE ONE @ LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 8/7/03

Chapter five of this year’s Lakemont Park Wing-Off featured Square One, after they had nearly a full month to dry out from their rain-soaked Wing-Off opener.

The skies looked threatening early on for this Wing-Off, and a few raindrops could be felt as I procured my initial batch of wings and secured a picnic table observation post.

Square One kicked off the music with Rare Earth/The Temptations’ “Get Ready,” and proceeded with a crisp set of classics from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s by ZZ Top, Bryan Adams, CCR, Beatles, Van Morrison and more. Don Osborn’s voice was in fine form this day, and his guitar leads were clean and very on target. The big highlight of Square One’s first set was when Don’s son, Shaun, joined the group onstage to lend guitar and voice on a stirring set-closing rendition of Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Cost of Freedom/Ohio.”

Also during the first set. Lakemont Park custodian/denizen Bobby “The Lakemonster” started grooving along early and often at stagefront. He soon had company. A group of teenaged girls started dancing with “The Lakemonster;” and it soon became a humorous cat-and-mouse game. The girls would play ‘peek-a-boo’ with the speaker stacks and start dancing with him; and “The Lakemonster” would then respond with his best horror movie monster impersonation, playfully chasing the girls away. This continued through most of the first set, until the Booger…err…Bougher Security rent-a-cops determined that the teenagers were having too much fun, and chased them away from the stagefront for good.

The skies had lightened considerably during Square One’s first set, and the threat of rain had diminished greatly. More onlookers arrived during the first intermission, and a decent-sized crowd was in place by the time Square One embarked on their second set. Starting with Robert Palmer’s “Bad Case of Loving You,” Square One resumed their blend of classics, including songs from Tommy Tutone, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, John Mellencamp, Roy Orbison and more. Once again Square One was on the money and sounded good; in particular during this set Don’s voice, as he worked some high-pitched vibrato into his rendition of the Allman’s “Sweet Melissa,” Roy Orbison’s “Oh Pretty Woman” and more.

Square One’s nightcap set evolved into a full-fledged rock and roll party, with Bobby “The Lakemonster” leading the way with his crazed stagefront dancing antics – a few times, he drew louder applause than the band! After Bad Company’s “Can’t Get Enough,” Square One broke out Greg Kihn Band’s “Break-Up Song,” during which Don unleashed a furious guitar solo. Square One continued to hit their stride on songs from CCR, Eagles, Bob Seger and more, culminating in a feverish finish that featured rowdy singalong versions of the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” and Marvin Gaye/CCR’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” to end the show. By show’s end, a number of fans were dancing in the stagefront lawn, and this Wing-Off finished with a festive, happy vibe.

Needless to say, this Wing-Off was a major improvement for Square One over the rain-soaked kickoff several weeks earlier; and the group was rewarded with a good-sized, appreciative and festive crowd.

With guest Shaun Osborn (center), Square One rocks the Wing-Off.

Once again, Bobby “The Lakemonster” grooves to Square One at the Wing-Off.

Son and father; Shaun and Don Osborn of Square One.

Jeff Crownover of Square One.

Bill Hunter of Square One.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES/INFUSED @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 8/7/03

This week’s Thursday Hurricanes jam at Peter C’s featured an added treat with the onstage debut of a brand new Altoona-based band, Infused.

Unfortunately for me, the combination of the Wing-Off plus some duties at the day job – coupled with Infused’s earlier-than-expected start time of 10 PM – resulted in my missing most of their set except for the last three songs. But as I arrived at Peter C’s, a near-packed house was on hand to cheer on Infused on their maiden voyage.

Based on the three songs I heard, Infused’s base sound mixes elements of both current and classic rock. The group’s songs contain a melodic classic-geared base, performed with a contemporary-styled guitar edge and rhythm guitarist Shawn Huss’ straight-ahead, full-voiced singing style. Shawn’s rhythm guitar, Rod Skelley’s lead guitar, Bill Fischer’s bass and Ed Longo’s drums combined to form a layered, full wall of sound. Infused received loud cheers of approval after each song; and based on what I saw, Infused’s maiden performance was a successful one. I plan to catch a full set/show from this band again in the near future.

The Hurricanes then picked up the ball and ran with it, keeping much of the packed house in place to cheer their mix of classics, blues and original songs. The group showcased a number of songs from their forthcoming “Travelers Not Forgotten” CD, plus favorites from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Ted Nugent, Grand Funk Railroad and more. The highlights of the Hurricanes’ two sets this night surrounded two onstage guests – Infused drummer Ed Longo’s teenaged son, Eddie, sitting in behind the Hurricanes’ drum kit during George Thorogood’s “Bad to the Bone;” and veteran area frontman Steve Oswalt, lending his powerhouse pipes for much of the nightcap set, including versions of Foghat’s “I Just Wanna Make Love To You,” Steppenwolf’s “Born to be Wild,” the Allmans’ “Whipping Post,” Robin Trower’s “Too Rolling Stoned,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’ “Simple Man,” and the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times” and “Roadhouse Blues” – complete with Steve going off full Jim Morrison.

The combination of Infused’s debut and the Hurricanes’ star-studded celebration made for an excellent start of a busy weekend for me.

Infused, rocking during their debut at Peter C’s.

Rod Skelley of Infused.

Shawn Huss of Infused.

Ed Longo of Infused.

Like father like son; Ed Longo’s son, Eddie, sits in behind the Hurricanes’ drum kit.

Hurricaniac Beth Ann rubs away on the washboard.

Guest Steve Oswalt belts out the voice for the Hurricanes.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

Once again, Steve Oswalt, belting out full voice for the Hurricanes.

Steve Oswalt and Hurricanes bass man Jeff Clapper chiming out the voice.

With guitar in hand, Hurricane Felix Kos.

IRON MAIDEN/DIO/MOTORHEAD/AFTERSHOK @ POST GAZETTE PAVILION @ STAR LAKE, BURGETTSTOWN 8/8/03

With summer entering the homestretch run, I knew time was limited for me to make my annual Star Lake pilgrimage for a concert this year. Several complications prevented me from journeying there to catch this year’s OzzFest the week before; but this day, I got my classic metal fix with Iron Maiden, Dio, and Motorhead at Post Gazette Pavilion.

First, the only downer of the whole day – road construction. I know Hell has a better chance of growing icicles, but I fantasize about the day I can drive all the way from Altoona to Post Gazette Pavilion (or anywhere else in or near Pittsburgh, for that matter) without running into any road work or detours. Unfortunately, that fantasy won’t become reality any time soon. This day, road-widening projects along Route 22 near the Cambria-Indiana County line and in Murrysville; and the continued closure of the Fort Pitt Tunnel in Pittsburgh; all combined to add at least one additional hour to my sojourn to Star Lake. I had hoped to spend at least part of this day (a vacation day for me) at Station Square in Pittsburgh en route to the show; but as I realized the road work was making me arrive later than expected, I decided instead to just bypass Station Square, take the Liberty Bridge and tunnel, and head directly to Star Lake (after killing an hour doing dinner at Quaker Steak & Lube near Robison Town Centre). I’m glad I made this decision, as the traffic was backed up from Liberty Tunnel to the Parkway, and it would have been far worse had I tried to go to Station Square and then try to do that detour during Friday afternoon rush hour!

The other benefit of that decision was, obviously, I arrived at Star Lake early, got a decent parking space close to the ticket gate, and even got to see the early band on the second stage near the Post Gazette Pavilion entrance. The band was AfterShok, and I got to catch about 4 or 5 songs in all. This band features singer Vic Hix, formerly of Cleveland-based 80’s national metal band Shok Paris. Like Shok Paris, AfterShok performed 80’s-styled classic metal, with Vic’s booming voice recalling Ronnie Dio or Jon Oliva (Savatage). Their song material was melodic and anthemic in style, and their execution was tight and powerful. I was impressed enough with AfterShok’s presentation that I wound up purchasing their CD, “Unfinished Business.” AfterShok mainly performs in the Pittsburgh and Cleveland areas; hopefully I’ll get to witness their live show again soon.

After AfterShok’s set, I made my way to the main stage for the main event. Although I had a lawn seat ticket, Post Gazette Pavilion posted signs saying the lawn area was closed, and all lawn seat ticket holders could sit in the rear portion of the pavilion area. This actually worked out better, since I wouldn’t have to worry about sitting on a soggy lawn, and I had a vantage point closer to the stage, with a better view.

Motorhead took the main stage first, with gruff-voiced bassist and frontman Lemmy Kilmister announcing their arrival with the proclamation, “We’re Motorhead in case you didn’t know it, and we’re gonna kick your ass!” They then appropriately launched their set with “We Are Motorhead,” the title track from their 2000 CD. Motorhead continued to drill songs from throughout their career, including early favorites like “Metropolis” and the set-closing “Overkill;” favorites like “Killed By Death” and “Ace of Spades;” a version of “R.A.M.O.N.E.S.” that Lemmy dedicated in memory of Joey and Dee Dee Ramone;” and more. As expected, the delivery from Lemmy, guitarist Phil Campbell and drummer Mikkey Dee was fast, furious and full-throttled; Dee especially was pounding the living splinters out of his drum kit. And though now 57, Lemmy hasn’t lost his voice (well, he never really had one to begin with), and he certainly hasn’t lost his fire and gusto. This did appear to be the most polite I have ever seen Lemmy during a concert; as he thanked and acknowledged the cheering metalheads several times during Motorhead’s set. Motorhead was everything I expected from them, direct and to the point.

During intermission, I observed the audience, and considered how audiences at classic metal shows have changed over the years. When I first saw Motorhead in 1980, Iron Maiden in 1981, or Dio in 1985, heavy metal concerts were a different scene. It wasn’t uncommon to see drug overdoses, fans passed out or puking their guts out, ugly fights and more. Now those practices seem to have been handed off to the nu-metal generation; and classic metal concerts have turned into FAMILY EVENTS! I kid you not – seated directly behind me this night were two stereotypical families – complete with moms, dads, and kids. I overheard them conversing with each other, explaining how they wanted their kids to experience a rock concert for the first time. Hey, the family that rocks together…

Seated to the right of me was more of what I expected to see at this show – an aging hippie-like fan, guzzling brew with his “old lady,” incinerating some rolled-up hippie lettuce, and suddenly standing up and screaming out something unintelligible at the top of his lungs. That’s more like it!

Dio soon took the stage, kicking off with the title track to their latest album, “Killing The Dragon.” Dio proceeded to mix songs from throughout group namesake Ronnie James Dio’s illustrious career, spanning his stints in Rainbow, Black Sabbath and his current band. An early highlight of Dio’s set for me was “The Last In Line,” which suddenly segued into the complete 7-minute version of Rainbow’s “Stargazer!” From his Black Sabbath archive, Ronnie and his band broke out “Mob Rules,” and eventually “Heaven and Hell” to end the set. And Dio also did songs from their own discography, including the title song from “Dream Evil,” “Stand Up and Shout,” and favorites like “Rainbow In The Dark” and “Holy Diver.” This edition of Dio – featuring guitarist Doug Aldrich, keyboardist Scott Warren, bassist Jimmy Bain and drummer Simon Wright – were tight, powerful and clean-sounding behind Ronnie Dio, who continued to demonstrate one of the most powerful sets of pipes in rock. Strangely, despite his booming and commanding singing voice, Ronnie was more softspoken between songs, and over the crowd clamor you had to strain to hear what he was saying. During the “Heaven and Hell” finale, Ronnie broke out a female mannequin for a bizarre Alice Cooper-like display. Dio’s performance this day was at least as impressive as their set last year opening for Deep Purple and Scorpions here at Star Lake. In all, a strong set.

The night’s second intermission provided another opportunity to observe the audience. The families seated behind me sounded content – I overheard one of the moms comment that she was there to see Dio, and was wowed by the set they had just witnessed. One fan immediately in front of me struck up a conversation about metal bands, and we were swapping notes on some of our favorite European metal names. Several rows in front of me, I observed several friends heaping humorous abuse on one of their compatriots who had apparently passed out in his seat. As the crowd grew increasingly anxious for the arrival of the main event onstage, the fan I had been speaking with went for a laugh by suddenly yelling “FLOCK OF SEAGULLS! WOOOAAAHHH!!!!”

Finally, Iron Maiden made their arrival. The venue lights dimmed, and the familiar spoken voice prelude to “Number of the Beast” brought the Star Lake crowd to their feet. Now six members strong, Iron Maiden launched into “Number of the Beast,” as a large lit-up “666” appeared behind them onstage. Maiden proceeded with a torrid set of tunes spanning their career, even digging a little deeper into their song catalog for some lesser-known material. With projected backdrop images of ghoulish Maiden mascot Eddie changing with each song, the group continued with “The Trooper,” during which frontman Bruce Dickinson cavorted about the stage carrying a Union Jack flag. From the “Piece of Mind” album, Maiden then did “Die With Your Boots On” and “Revelations.” The crowd cheered louder as the first notes of “Hallowed Be Thy Name” surfaced from the stage, providing an instant highlight of Maiden’s set. Bruce then introduced a new song, “Wildest Dreams,” which will be on the new Maiden album, “Dance of Death,” being released in September. Maiden then dipped back to their last album, “Brave New World,” for the hit “Wicker Man.” As a bit of a surprise for me, Iron Maiden then tapped into the Blaze Bayley era of the group for “Clansman” off the “Virtual XI” CD. This song proved to me that while Blaze Bayley was a flop as Maiden’s temporary frontman on the “X Factor” and “Virtual XI” CD’s, the song material itself from those two albums was mostly still good, and this night came off much stronger being sung by Bruce. During “The Clairvoyant,” a towering 15-foot tall Eddie, clad in a red cape and wearing a crown, came out and paraded about onstage, with the various members of Maiden each acknowledging him during the course of the song. The group continued with the title track from “Fear of the Dark,” arriving at their title song “Iron Maiden” and more Eddie highjinks. This time, a huge bust of Eddie’s upper body appeared onstage, and during the song, Eddie’s skull opened up, and a large brain was slowly lowered into it. When the brain transplant was complete, Eddie’s shoulders started grooving along with the song, helping bring the song and set to a wild and crazed close.

The audience demanded an encore, and soon Bruce and the band reappeared onstage. After chastising some front section fans who started brawling while the lights were down, Bruce took time to introduce the members of the band, commenting that there were so many members in Iron Maiden any more, he lost track of who all was onstage with him. After introducing guitarists Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers, drummer Nicko McBrain and bassist Steve Harris (who drew the loudest applause of all), Bruce and Maiden launched into “Two Minutes To Midnight,” before ending their encore and the concert with the fiery “Run To The Hills.”

Iron Maiden delivered the goods. All three guitarists and Steve Harris executed like a well-oiled machine, with solo fireworks a plenty and tight, riveting rhythms. Nicko McBrain too was energized and intense, he even broke several sticks during the course of the set. And Bruce Dickinson remains one of the most volatile frontmen in rock; Bruce was constant energy and movement, flying around the stage and atop speakers like a crazed lunatic. Vocally, his high-flying voice was constantly on target; and his presentation was dramatic, as his facial expressions sold each song he was singing. Although still outspoken at times, Bruce wasn’t quite as arrogant as his last visit to Star Lake, and we didn’t get any lengthy oratory regarding the music business this time out.

Iron Maiden capped an excellent metal bill all the way around, and I was ultimately glad I braved all the western PA road construction to bear witness.

(THANKS to “Pure Evil” for furnishing these photos from Iron Maiden’s set at Star Lake.)

”6…6 6!!! The Number of the Beast!” Iron Maiden unleashes their fury upon the Star Lake audience.

With mascot Eddie charging into battle behind them, Iron Maiden rocks Star Lake.

Eddie is prepared for brain transplant surgery…

The brain is lowered into the patient’s skull…

After a successful surgery, Eddie grooves in celebration.

Near show’s end, Iron Maiden celebrates another night of successful metal meltdown…

BLAIR COUNTY COLLECTIVE “CANCER SUX” BENEFIT @ CRESSON SPORTSMEN’S CLUB 8/9/03

Ever since their official formation earlier this year, the Blair County Collective had been pointing to this day for one of the first big events to put their organization on the map. Eventually dubbed the “Cancer Sux” benefit, this event would showcase a number of Blair County Collective member bands, while raising money for the American Cancer Society.

However, as has often been the case thus far this summer, Mother Nature had other ideas.

Early in the afternoon, it was just overcast, so I was hopeful that music fans would populate the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club grounds. But when I arrived, the crowd was sparse early on; it was hoped that more folks might show up as the afternoon progressed.

I had missed opening sets by Useless Ambition and The Grimm, but arrived in time to see Bleech’s performance. Opening with their original rocker “Across the Tracks,” singer/guitarist Mike Harper, singer/bassist Bill Haney and drummer Bud Beals showcased a number of original songs, including songs from their “Faded Memories” CD, plus songs penned since. As with their older material like “Faded Memories” and Spell,” Bleech’s newer material is also classic rooted, guitar driven, straight-up-the-gut rock’n’roll. Bleech’s musicianship was sturdy and steady. The set’s highlight, as expected, was Mike’s intense guitar feedback/distortion meltdown during the set-ending rendition of Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Chile.”

Bill Haney of Bleech.

Mike Harper of Bleech.

Bud Beals of Bleech.

Behind his neck, Mike Harper of Bleech works the frets.

Playing with some distortion, Mike Harper of Bleech.

Although a number of bands had been advertised for this show, a few bands cancelled at the last minute or discovered last minute scheduling conflicts, and the show organizers suddenly found themselves scrambling to find a band to go onstage after Bleech. A few members of Banditos had arrived, but not everyone was present yet as Banditos weren’t scheduled to perform until later. Soon, young Altoona punksters Useless Ambition returned to the stage for a short encore performance. The group did three original songs; “Where’s My Home?,” “Feedback Song” and “F***ed If I Know.” Their brand of punk was loose and roughshod, with distortion, feedback, out-of-tune guitars, and reckless abandon. A little all-around tightening would make them better, but for a group of youngsters playing punk, it was satisfactory, and Useless Ambition appeared to have fun onstage.

During Useless Ambition’s abbreviated set, the remaining Banditos arrived, and the group soon took the stage. Introducing their latest guitarist, former Broken Neck/Cucuplex guitarist Phil Wagner, Banditos mixed mostly current rock favorites with a few select classics. Banditos did a workmanlike job on tunes such as “Whiskey In The Jar,” Nickelback’s “How You Remind Me,” Saliva’s “Your Disease,” Collective Soul’s “Shine,” Styx’s “Blue Collar Man” and more. Although clouds gathered and the sky darkened during their set, at least a few female fans and kids grooved in front of the stage area.

Wally Bandito of Banditos.

Banditos rock the BCC “Cancer Sux” Benefit.

Darrell Bandito of Banditos.

Two ladies groove along to the Banditos’ set.

BCC’s Carl videotapes the proceedings.

As Banditos wrapped up their set, the skies opened, and rain forced most of the audience back underneath the Cresson Sportsmen’s pavilions. A downpour fell for a period, dumping perhaps ½-1 inch of rain. (We would later learn that this same storm put down 4 inches of rain in Altoona, flooding streets and wreaking havoc for much of the rest of the evening.) As the rain tapered to a drizzle, drummer Kevin Bandito and several fans played a makeshift game of football in the mud while the day’s next band, Choking Faith, set up.

Kevin Bandito’s pass is dropped at the 30-yard line…

Choking Faith was rising from their own ashes this day. The group had announced their breakup a month or so earlier, but four of the band’s five members subsequently decided to keep it going. Although the group had contemplated a name change, frontman Jason Mittan proclaimed that the group would remain Choking Faith. Jason, guitarist Punkin’head, bassist Tim Sidor and drummer John Reigle returned to the stage with a vengeance this day, unleashing an all-out set of original metal with a few select covers. The group did two of the three songs from their EP, “Freedom in a Body Bag” and “Porno Tongue;” plus broke out a number of newer originals, including the set-opening “Three Minute Symphony,” “Listen for Death” and more. The group closed their set with tunes from Slayer and Pantera. Choking Faith sounded sharp and on target, and Jason seemed defiantly proud to be back in action. As the rains tapered off during their set, a few brave onlookers made their way forward to the stagefront area to celebrate Choking Faith’s brand of no nonsense heavy modern metal. In all, a good return to action for Choking Faith.

Prior to Choking Faith’s set, the rains fall upon the Cresson Sportmen’s stage.

Choking Faith commences their assault.

Jason of Choking Faith.

Once again, Choking Faith.

Fans of all ages, sizes, genders and species were on hand to take in the BCC benefit.

As night descended upon the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds, Pittsburgh’s lone entry in the day’s proceedings, Negative Theory, was next. A four-piece, Negative Theory performed original death-styled metal; marked by the terse, minor-key dirgelike chords from guitarist Eddie; and the monstrous bellowing of lead voice Josh. I only caught one song title from Negative Theory, a new composition called “Anthem of a Bastard.” While the audience was still on the sparse side, at least a few interested fans advanced to the stagefront to bear witness to Negative Theory’s brand of metallic maelstrom. If intense, death-styled metal is your thing, Negative Theory did a solid job on their brand of it.

Josh of Negative Theory.

Negative Theory renders doom upon the stage at the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club.

Eddie of Negative Theory.

Chip of Negative Theory.

It was rather appropriate that Negative Theory performed a song called “Anthem of a Bastard,” because it was right at about that time that the Double Bastard made its first appearance. Suicide Switch frontman Cheeze had forewarned me earlier in the day that several associates of the Suicide Switch organization would be bringing a huge bottle of brew to the show. That bottle turned out to be a 3 quart, 5.4 ounce bottle of Double Bastard Ale from California, said to be priced at nearly $60! Through the late stages of the show, the Double Bastard was shared out to the willing brew enthusiasts present, myself included. My opinion of Double Bastard – great taste, and potent stuff! (I guess for $60 a bottle, it should be!)

Cheeze of Suicide Switch contemplates a big-ass bottle of ale…

Double Bastard Ale; a bottle so big it takes two guys to hold it.

Onstage, the music gearshifted from death metal to roots rock and rockabilly, as The Marauders took the stage to finish out the evening. As expected, the group showcased many of the songs from their “Alibi” CD, including “Roadkill,” “Oh My My,” “New Tattoo,” “Prostitute” and more. Their vibe was upbeat, and while there weren’t a lot of onlookers present to dance in front of the stage, a number of fans happily cheered the group on.

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

Again, Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

The Marauders, capping the Blair County Collective “Cancer Sux” Benefit.

After The Marauders’ set, the word was that By Any Means Necessary would take the stage to close out the show, but with very little crowd and the hour growing late, it was decided to put the lid on the show and call it a day. A big surprise of this day for me was that four of the Blair County Collective’s most visible bands – Chapter 5, Suicide Switch, By Any Means Necessary and Inversion – did not or could not perform.

Although Mother Nature doomed this event to a lackluster turnout, and only a small amount of money was raised for the American Cancer Society, the day’s triumph was that the Blair County Collective was able to pull this gig off, and they kept the day mostly filled with music despite a few cancellations and no-shows. And with any first-time event such as this, it’s often a challenge to entice people to come out and support it in good weather, let alone rainy weather like this day. Hopefully the day served as a learning experience and stepping stone for the BCC, and the lessons learned from this show will benefit the organization in any future concert endeavors.

RETROACTIVE @ THE CASTLE PUB, EBENSBURG 8/9/03

After the BCC “Cancer Sux” benefit concluded, I proceeded to nearby Ebensburg to check in with hometown party favorites RetroActive at their home base, The Castle Pub.

A good-sized crowd was already present as I arrived during RetroActive’s first intermission. It had been close to two years since I last checked in with this Cambria County party machine; I was eager to see how this band’s party had evolved.

Evolved it has! RetroActive delivered the total 80’s party for their remaining two sets, executing a nearly nonstop cavalcade of upbeat 80’s favorites that kept the dance floor constantly busy. Singer Dean Gittings, guitarist John Solinski, bassist Kenny Karlheim, keyboard man Keith Little, and drummer Red Solinski kept the party festive with continuous stage movement and antics, costuming and props changes, constant smiles and an overall happy vibe. Their playing was tight and energetic, and their voices were on the mark the entire evening.

I also enjoyed RetroActive’s song selection, as they mixed 80’s favorites with a few unexpected gems and other assorted highlights; fusing them all together into a tight, near seamless 80’s groove. Along the way, the Castle Pub dance floor bumped and grinded to tunes from Bon Jovi, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Devo, Men Without Hats, Dead Or Alive, Simple Minds, Huey Lewis & the News, After The Fire, Twisted Sister, Billy Squier and much more. Noteworthy standouts for me included the John-fronted version of the Go-Go’s “We’ve Got The Beat;” the pairing of U2’s “Desire” seguing into Simon & Garfunkel’s “Cecelia;” After The Fire’s “Der Kommissar” and Corey Hart’s “Sunglasses At Night.”

RetroActive’s nonstop energy and enthusiasm kept the Castle dance floor well-populated the entire time I was there, and kept its participants happy enough to want an encore at night’s end. Retro answered with a night-closing rendition of the Beastie Boys’ “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party).”

Bottom line: After witnessing them this night, it’s no mystery to me why RetroActive is one of this area’s most in-demand onstage parties. This group delivers maximum bang for your cover charge buck; the total package of upbeat music, tight 80’s grooves, onstage action and motion, enthusiasm, excitement, and ultimately – fun. In one simple sentence: They put it all together. RetroActive has clearly hit their stride, and should continue to prosper on this region’s stages and beyond.

John Solinski of RetroActive.

Kenny Karlheim of RetroActive.

RetroActive parties down the Castle Pub.

John Solinski and Kenny Karlheim of RetroActive.

With interesting headgear, Kenny Karlheim of RetroActive.

Treating a female fan to a quick guitar lesson, John Solinski of RetroActive.

Again, John Solinski of RetroActive.

RetroActive’s wild and crazy Solinski brothers, Red and John, and some equally wild KISS space boots.

Keith Little of RetroActive.

Dean Gittings of RetroActive rallies the Castle Pub masses.

“CELEBRATION OF NEIGHBORHOODS” @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 8/10/03

Any longtime denizen of Altoona knows that, over the last two to three decades, downtown Altoona hasn’t been what it once was. Long ago, when the railroad was king and Gables department store was the big store in town, downtown Altoona was a busy and bustling place. But over the years, the railroad’s prominence has diminished, and shopping malls and urban sprawl have drawn shoppers and business away from downtown Altoona. Ever since, city fathers and powers that be have agonized over the dilemma of how to attract people back to downtown Altoona.

While few long-term solutions for this problem have yet come about, the local tourism, music and performing arts communities have spearheaded some short-term solutions in recent years. One person and agency making a difference: Allan Robison and the Blair County Community Action Agency. A few years ago, the agency began presenting free summer concerts at Altoona’s largely underused Heritage Plaza, featuring several local bands and artists. These concert series have drawn bigger and steadier audiences with each successive summer, and have given rise to additional events along the way.

One of these events is the annual “Celebration of Neighborhoods,” which happens at Heritage Plaza each August. Established to celebrate the neighborhoods, heritage and people that make up Altoona, the event features numerous community organizations and church groups providing food and refreshments, and continuous musical entertainment from a number of area bands and musicians. The hope is that “Celebration of Neighborhoods” will continue to grow, and evolve into a major downtown celebration on the scale of a Johnstown Folkfest or Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in State College.

Although I could only spend a short time at this year’s event, I made a point of again taking in “Celebration Of Neighborhoods.” A good-sized crowd was already present, and Square One had just completed their set prior to my arrival. As I made my way to one of the food booths to procure a sausage sandwich and haluski (yes, a festival in Altoona actually does serve haluski!), emcee Allan Robison introduced the afternoon’s next guest, Typhani Russo. At age 17, Typhani already has amassed a huge resumé of performance credits in singing, dancing, acting, baton twirling and more; and she last year released a full-length CD, “Reflections of My Heart,” with proceeds from the CD sales helping out local animal rights organization Aid for Animals – Laws for Paws. Typhani performed three selections this day, starting with a version of Aretha Franklin’s soul classic “Respect.” Typhani then performed a classical selection on flute, and concluded by singing a Broadway selection.

After Typhani’s performance, Allan introduced the afternoon’s next performer, acoustic soloist Ryan Matthews. Like Typhani, Ryan also performed three songs, treating the crowd to guitar-and-voice renditions of Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville,” Van Morrison’s “Brown-Eyed Girl” and Greenday’s “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life).” Both Ryan and Typhani were pleasantly received by the Heritage Plaza audience.

The afternoon’s tempo was about to pick up dramatically, as Allan next introduced Flight 19. The group proceeded to mix current and classic rocking favorites with a few select original tunes; treating the crowd to songs from Lenny Kravitz, American Hi-Fi, Cold, Powerman 5000, Cars, 3 Doors Down, Puddle of Mudd and more. Highlights included frontman Brian Thomas celebrating his wedding anniversary by sending Boston’s “Piece of Mind” out to the Mrs.; and original tunes such as “Migraine” and the bluesy “Unlock My Heart.” Likewise, Flight 19 received a good response from the crowd, including several teenaged fans who stepped forward to headbang along during a Godsmack tune.

At this point, day job duties beckoned, and I had to pull myself away from this year’s “Celebration of Neighborhoods.” But I was glad to see that this year’s event was again very well attended, and I am hopeful that this event can continue to progress and someday achieve the vision of being Altoona’s premiere showcase festival.

”Celebration of Neighborhoods” emcee, Allan Robison.

Typhani Russo sings at “Celebration of Neighborhoods.

Ryan Matthews entertains at “Celebration of Neighborhoods.

Flight 19 rocks out at “Celebration of Neighborhoods.

RHYMES WITH ORANGE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/10/03

Northeastern PA party force Rhymes With Orange were making their first appearance at Pellegrine’s, and it was this show that capped my weekend.

Due to another show in town this night (a ‘benefit,’ which Rhymes With Orange kicked off earlier this night), Pellegrine’s was sparsely populated when I arrived. But those who were in attendance (including the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse and most of the Pelly’s Monday Night Wing-Eating Think Tank) had room to stretch out and move about, making for a relaxing, laid-back party atmosphere.

This was my third time witnessing Rhymes With Orange, and the first I’d seen them since their line-up change last year. The new Rhymes With Orange lineup – singer Russ, guitarist Jon, bassist Jim and drummer Blicko – was just finishing their second set of the evening with tunes from Lita Ford, Ramones, Drowning Pool and more.

The third set afforded me a more complete look at what Rhymes With Orange is about these days. The group mixed upbeat current and classic rock, new wave and hip-hop favorites; offering their own slant to the party band format. The group adeptly mixed tunes from Sevendust, Blur, Rick Springfield, Blink 182, AC/DC, House of Pain, Supertramp and more. Rhymes With Orange kept the pacing tight and the action nearly nonstop. The group was solid instrumentally and executed with excitement and enthusiasm. Russ handled the vocal end well, and moved about the stage to mingle with the folks on the dance floor. Blicko and Jim spotted Russ periodic breaks by singing lead a few times during the show.

Although attendance was light, Rhymes With Orange succeeded in getting at least several people onto the dance floor, especially during the show’s latter stages. The group finished up the party with versions of the Outfield’s “Your Love” and White Zombie’s “Thunder Kiss ’65.” Based on the enthusiastic display I witnessed this night, Rhymes With Orange shouldn’t be seeing many more sparsely attended shows in these parts, once word of their onstage party spreads.

Rhymes With Orange rocks four walls at Pellegrine’s.

Russ of Rhymes With Orange.

Jim of Rhymes With Orange.

Jon of Rhymes With Orange.

Blicko of Rhymes With Orange.

From a different angle, Blicko of Rhymes With Orange.

Once again, Russ of Rhymes With Orange.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: