· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 8/18/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Sep 19, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 8/18/03:

THE 2003 WING-OFF CHRONICLES CHAPTER VI: FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 8/14/03

This was a bittersweet evening. The Final Lakemont Park Wing Off for another summer…I would have to wait another 46 weeks to again enjoy the combination of hot wings, cold brew, live music and members of the opposite sex in full summer attire. And being the final Wing-Off of the summer, this event also signified the beginning of the end of the summer season. From here, a succession of events through the remainder of August and into September would lead to the end of another summer, and the advent of cooler weather, and eventually, winter. But this was still the Wing-Off, and here and now was still warm August weather, and I was determined to make the best of it, and savor the joys of the last Wing-Off while it lasted.

After procuring my initial batch of wings from City Limits, I was ready for music. So was Lakemont Park custodian/denizen Bobby “The Lakemonster,” who was cracking the whip in front of the stage and yelling for The Hurricanes to begin their first set. Felix and the ‘Canes complied, and were soon underway with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “T for Texas,” with Felix breaking out the slide on his frets early. The first set featured the expected mix of southern and classic rock favorites plus original songs, and was highlighted by a mid-set version of the Allman Brothers’ “Dreams I’ll Never See” that segued in an “Amazing Grace” midsection; and the stormy set-closing edition of the Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides.”

The Hurricanes’ nightcap set kicked off, interestingly enough, with a bit of country, as the group broke out their take on John Michael Montgomery’s “Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident).” They then shifted into Grateful Dead mode for “Alabama Getaway,” before slowing it down for their original blues dirge “On The Bottom Again.” The Hurricanes quickly shifted the tempo back up for ZZ Top’s “Beer Drinkers and Hellraisers,” before switching into Charlie Daniels mode for “Long-Haired Country Boy” and “In America.” The Hurricanes continued to mix it up with tunes from Stevie Ray Vaughan, the Beatles, Blackfoot, more Allman Brothers, Aerosmith, more ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and more original songs. “Lakemonsters” and fans alike were grooving at the stagefront clear to the end, with the ‘Canes wrapping up the 2003 edition of the Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s with Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Lowe,” and the title cut from the Hurricanes’ first studio album, “The Feeling.”

For the Hurricanes, the party only took a pause to move things over to Peter C’s for the weekly Thursday Blues-day celebration. For the Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s, though, this was the end of the line for 2003. At least in this Wing-Off fan’s perspective, the attendance overall seemed to be off throughout the course of this year’s Wing-Off’s. The soggy summer weather was a small factor, yes; although most of the Wing-Off’s were held without rain. It didn’t seem that this year’s Wing-Off’s received quite the publicity of years past, and the band schedule for this year’s Wing-Off wasn’t well publicized either. And perhaps the small-ish size of this year’s wings, and the incidents of rancid frying oil from last year’s events, contributed to the dropoff in crowds this year as well. But the Wing-Off’s were still fun, the music and wings were good, and I expect to be back for the 2004 edition of the Wing-Off’s next year.

Proud to rock in America, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Looking very Stevie Ray-ish this day, lead Hurricane Felix Kos.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

Reliable through sun, rain, wind or snow (?), Bobby "The Lakemonster" again grooves down at stagefront with the Hurricanes.

Once again, Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 8/14/03

Yes, once again I followed the Hurricanes celebration from the Wing Off to Peter C’s (with a two-hour intermission to attend to some duties at “the office”). A festive mid-sized crowd, including Peter C’s regulars and a number of Wing-Off revelers, were in the house to see more of Felix & the boys at work and play. OBSERVATION (and another reason why I like this band): Both times I saw the Hurricanes at the Wing-Off and at Peter C’s afterward, they DID NOT DUPLICATE any songs between the two shows! Well, almost. They did do one repeat number this night that they performed at the Wing-Off, the funk-geared new original tune “Walking The Straight Line.” Otherwise, the set list was completely different. The ‘Canes even broke out versions of Chuck Berry’s “No Particular Place To Go” and the James Gang’s “Walk Away" this night. Another good crowd was on hand to bear witness, and it was again the suitable blast to kick things into weekend party mode.

BLAIR COUNTY AUTISM SOCIETY BENEFIT w/THE MANNISH BOYS @ UNTER UNS CLUB, ALTOONA 8/15/03

I kicked off my Friday evening live music sojourn by taking in part of the benefit dance at Altoona’s Unter Uns Club, featuring the reunion performance of The Mannish Boys. Proceeds from this event helped out the Blair County Autism Society.

For those whose memories or life spans don’t go back far enough, The Mannish Boys first surfaced on the Altoona area music scene in the very early 80’s to play traditional rock and roll. Guitarist Steve Mitchell, bassist Kevin Mitchell, singer Mark Ruston and drummer Dwayne Young played a number of shows with another surfacing band on the Altoona music scene at the time, The Front. After an initial run on area stages, The Mannish Boys decided to “settle down,” and each go their separate ways.

Recently, after 20 years apart, all four members decided to reform the group, and to make the official kickoff matter. Their return to action would be a benefit show for the Blair County Autism Society.

Due to my own day job duties this night, I missed the Mannish Boys’ first set, but arrived well in time to catch the nightcap set. A large crowd of several hundred populated the Unter Uns’ outdoor facility to take in this special reunion performance.

As the group launched into their second set, they had two guests onstage – Flight 19/Front guitar man John McKelvey; and contributing backing vocals, Andrea Shope. The group resumed the music with the Rolling Stones’ “Brown Sugar,” with a special guest named Michelle singing lead. The group then proceeded to mix classics from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s; including tunes from Eddie Cochran, the Stones, Kinks, Clash, Mitch Ryder, Beatles, Chuck Berry and more. The group also broke out a few original songs from their earlier heyday, including “That’s a Fact” and “Rendezvous.” Other highlights included a spirited version of Mitch Ryder’s “Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly,” the John McKelvey-fronted version of the Troggs’ “Wild Thing,” and Andrea belting out some excellent voice on Sheryl Krow’s “If It Makes You Happy.”

For not playing onstage together in 20 years, the Mannish Boys did a decent job overall. Their mood was upbeat and loose, as the group had fun onstage while getting reacquainted with playing alongside one another. There was a little bit of rust here and there, but overall the performance was on target, and kept the Unter Uns dance floor busy through the remainder of the night.

According to the group, the Mannish Boys will continue to perform, playing select dates and venues in Altoona, State College and Pittsburgh. This show provided a solid start to the Mannish Boys’ second coming.

The Mannish Boys, with Andrea Shope and John McKelvey, return from a 20-year hiatus at the Unter Uns in Altoona.

Duane Young of The Mannish Boys.

Andrea Shope and John McKelvey, performing with the Mannish Boys.

Once again, Andrea Shope.

GIANTS OF SCIENCE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 8/15/03

After the Autism Society benefit ended, I headed a few blocks away to the 4D’s Lounge to check in with the Giants Of Science.

As you may recall, I had not been impressed with this band the last two times I had seen them. Those two shows, at the (now razed) Altoona G-Man and the 4D’s respectively, showed me a band going through the motions and doing the bare minimum to provide a show to the crowd. Long intermissions, minimal light show, lackadaisical attitudes onstage, this band slacked on these two shows big time! As I entered the 4D’s this night, I was apprehensive about which Giants Of Science I would see this night – the boring band of my last two experiences, or the fun party machine this band was when they first arrived on the ‘Toona scene in the early 90’s.

The answer, at least in my humble opinion, was somewhere in the middle. As I arrived and procured my first foamy adult beverage of the evening, I was dismayed to note that the Giants were again not in costume this night. And as I initially chose to sit at a table towards the back of the room, I was also dismayed to hear what sounded like a weak sound system; what were they playing through, somebody’s home stereo?

As I sat and observed, though, it appeared that at least the Giants’ performance and overall mood were upbeat, and the group seemed to have more genuine spark and enthusiasm this night than the two previous times I had seen them. The line-up hadn’t changed since I last saw them except for their drummer this night; keyboard man Crow and bassist Mick swapped lead vocal duties; Johnny 5 played guitar; and the group had a substitute drummer, Aaron, filling in for their regular drummer Kevin. The group kept the pacing steady as they jumped between favorites from 3 Doors Down, Dead or Alive, Bon Jovi, J. Geils Band, Cheap Trick, John Mellencamp, Katrina & the Waves, and Prince’s “Let’s Get Crazy” to end the set. The only thing that disrupted the group’s pace was an ill-timed version of Tool’s “Sober” that was out of place amid an otherwise decisively 80’s-geared set.

The group reached intermission, and prompted my next question – would this be an intermission of reasonably short duration, or would the Giants of Science again become the ‘Giants of Silence’ and make us endure a marathon break? (I saw this band take a 55-minute intermission once during a show at Pellegrine’s a few years ago.) Fortunately, intermission lasted about a half-hour; it could have been shorter, but at least it wasn’t a marathon layoff.

With Crow fronting the group, Giants of Science kicked off their final set of the night with Default’s “Wasting My Time,” before the group shifted back into 80’s party mode. As I advanced towards stagefront, I realized that the group’s sound was far better towards the front of the room.

The Giants quickly had the 4D’s dance floor busy again as they proceeded with 80’s favorites from Violent Femmes, Men at Work, Billy Idol, Soft Cell, Poison and more; throwing in the occasional current hit such as Puddle of Mudd’s “She Hates Me.” The group kept the action nonstop and built a good head of steam as their set progressed, and succeeded in generating a lively party as the show entered its homestretch run. They may have been lacking the labcoats, facepaints and elaborate light show this night, but at least the Giants of Science provided enthusiasm and excitement, two elements notably lacking from the last two times I saw them.

Was this a show that will have me screaming the accolades of Giants Of Science throughout the streets of this fair town in celebration? No. But at least it was entertaining, especially in the latter stages, and showed at least some of the fire that this band has shown in the past. And unlike the last two times I saw them, this time I did not leave the venue yawning. Giants Of Science may have lacked the bells and whistles this night, but they at least got the job done and made the people happy. And as this group has weathered roster upheavals en route to completing their first decade on area stages, their ability to turn on the party is the factor that ultimately keeps this band busy and employed on the state’s stages. For this night, it was a respectable party.

Giants of Science's designated drummer of the night, Aaron.

Crow of Giants of Science.

Johnny 5 of Giants of Science.

Mick of Giants of Science.

Mick and Johnny 5 of Giants of Science.

Once again, Aaron of Giants of Science.

Crow takes it to the stagefront fans at the 4D's Lounge.

“PENNSYLVANIA MUSICIAN PALOOZA” w/ARMED & HAMMERED, WHITEY NOLL and DAVID GREENE @ MILLERSTOWN PARK, MILLERSTOWN 8/16/03

This warm and muggy Saturday, I roadtripped to Millerstown, near the home base of Pennsylvania Musician Magazine, to enjoy a combination PA Musician staff meeting and picnic at Millerstown Park. And it featured live music.

The weather was a question mark for much of the day, with storms in the forecast. I encountered a brief rain shower as I passed through Lewistown, but for the most part, the weather during the journey to Millerstown was uneventful. And as I arrived at the park, it was on the overcast side, but warm.

A band was setting up gear as I arrived and procured picnic edibles. It turned out to be Armed & Hammered, an up-and-coming band fronted in part by Josh Noll, son of Pennsylvania Musician first couple Whitey and Robin Noll. The group got up and played twice through the course of the afternoon, doing a mix of hard-edged current and classic favorites and a few original songs. Although it was a relaxed setting in front of friends and family, Armed & Hammered put on a solid performance on the material they did, and seemed to be coming together well at this early stage of their development. Remember the name, in time they could be a name you’ll be hearing more about.

Also during the course of this picnic, Whitey Noll and David Greene both performed several songs each. Whitey broke out his trademark ukulele and did several original songs, including tunes from his CD “Between the Curtains and the Clouds;” and mixing in his brand of sagely humor along the way. David played several acoustic originals, some with dark and forboding themes – including a song about the Guyana mass suicide.

Fortunately the Kool-aid at this picnic wasn’t as potent as it was at that Guyana setting, and a pleasant time was had by all. And the barbecue chicken – made by “official PA Musician chef” Roy Beaver – kicked serious ass!

The ride back to Altoona was more eventful than the ride down, as I ran into a ferocious line of thunderstorms. The lightning was so intense near Mifflintown that the sky just to the south of Route 22 was glowing yellow! And as I hit the dreaded Lewistown narrows, the skies opened up with torrential rains, slowing traffic to a bare crawl. But I still made it back to the ‘Toona in one piece, ready for my appointed rounds this Saturday night…

Armed & Hammered, rocking the PA Musician picnic.

The "Ukaboom Man," Whitey Noll.

David Greene.

FLORD/HYDRATE @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 8/16/03

My first stop of the night was at Aldo’s to catch at least part of the double-bill featuring Flord and Hydrate.

Flord drum man Rick Fisher had raved to me about Hydrate and recommended that I get to Aldo’s early to check them out. I’m glad I did, Hydrate is a name you need to know about.

Hydrate had just started into their set as I arrived. Singer/bassist Dan, guitarist Seth and drummer Willard performed an all-original set, showcasing songs from their self-titled debut CD. Hydrate played a style of rock that mixed elements of progressive and hard-edged alternative. The songs featured unpredictable chord and tempo shifts a la Rush or Tool, executed with rigid guitar chords, hard-hitting rhythms and Seth’s creative use of phrasing, licks and effects. Dan displayed a high-flying vocal edge with a style that blended melody and angst. The tunes I witnessed from Hydrate were all compelling, including “Dementia Dimensions,” “Final Destination,” “The Price” and “Watching.” The group also introduced at least one new song, “Lie.” Hydrate’s execution was tight, precise and fiery; and the group received increasing amounts of cheers from the Aldo’s audience as their set progressed. Hydrate made a strong first impression upon Aldo’s this night; hopefully they will be back soon.

Hydrate opens up the evening at Aldo's.

Dan of Hydrate.

Drummer Willard of Hydrate.

I stuck around to catch Flord’s first set of the night. As expected, Flord unleashed dark and angry metallic originals, many from their self-titled CD; plus select covers from Godsmack and Down. Singer Butch Woodward demonstrated his trademark intensity, varying between low-key contemplation and bristling rage on songs like “Dedication,” “Spine Is Stretched,” “Break Me Down,” “I Can See What You Wanted,” “4 Walls” and more. In a different twist, Butch used some processing with his voice this night, but seemed to have some problems with the effects onstage, with some loud ‘bangs’ emanating from his onstage set-up. Asid from Butch’s technical snafus, though, Flord was instrumentally tight and intense; with drummer Rick Fisher, bassist Tom Yannitelli and guitarist Phil Keith firing on all cylinders.

Flord, putting pedal to the metal at Aldo's.

Rick Fisher of Flord.

Butch Woodward of Flord.

Content that Flord had their Aldo’s metal minion firmly in their grasp this night, I decided to depart the venue after their first set, and explore other happenings on the Altoona music scene this night…

BAD DAZE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 8/16/03

After Flord’s first set, I headed to City Limits to satisfy my curiosity about Bad Daze, the new band project uniting former Feight frontman Rob Carolus with the Johnstown power trio previously known as Core. I knew that Rob was emerging into a capable frontman just as Feight imploded; and I had seen Core perform in Johnstown last year and knew that guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Dave Bambino and drummer Harry Rainey were good musicians who only needed that dominant frontman to get them to the next level. Would the sum of this pairing equal or excel the individual parts? The answer awaited me at City Limits.

I arrived just before the band kicked off their last set of the night. As expected, given a new name at City Limits this night, only a small crowd was in attendance.

It only took a few moments after Bad Daze launched their set with Poison’s “Talk Dirty To Me” to realize that this band kicked some serious ass! Rob Carolus instantly took charge of the party, exuding confidence as he paraded about the stage and proudly took the party to the crowd; instantly luring several fans and participants onto the dance floor. His voice was dead on as he and Bad Daze slammed into Ratt's “Round and Round.” After Beastie Boys' “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)” and Alice In Chains' “Man in the Box,” Kenny Murdick took the spotlight, launching into his best Eddie Van Halen display on “Eruption,” then kicking into “Panama.” Bad Daze then shifted into current rock mode, sandwiching hip-hop between Staind's “Mudshovel” and Godsmack's “Keep Away.” The highlight of Bad Daze's set then began; a freewheeling, action-packed Motley Crue medley that began with “Shout At The Devil,” and segues through Crue favorites like “Looks That Kill,” “Wild Side,” “Kickstart My Heart,” “Girls Girls Girls,” “Dr. Feelgood,” “Home Sweet Home” and “Live Wire.” This medley picked up steam as Bad Daze turned the corner into each song; and both band and stagefront revelers reached a frenzied crescendo as the medley drew to its close.

Though not large in number, the stagefront fans – fueled by the powerful display they had just witnessed – quickly and boisterously called for an encore. Bad Daze answered the call momentarily with a version of Ozzy Osbourne's “Crazy Train” to end the night.

Unlike the average new band just off the starting blocks, the seasoned musicians in Bad Daze performed with confidence, gusto and poise. Their playing was tight and powerful; and Kenny Murdick's guitar solo displays were heated and accurate. And Rob Carolus has arrived as a frontman; he showed voice and grit, confidence and nonstop enthusiasm as he struck up an instant rapport with the audience that never abated.

Bottom line: At least to my eyes and ears this night, Bad Daze established their legitimate candidacy for Saturday night power band status in these parts. They have the musical chops and tightness, they have the high-energy frontman with both voice and personality, they have the balanced setlist of new and classic rock favorites, and they have the excitement and enthusiasm. All they need now is people to experience their party for the first time and become hooked, as I did this night.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Dave Bambino of Bad Daze.

Once again, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Bad Daze, rocking City Limits.

Rockin' Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Once again, Bad Daze, kicking ass and taking names at City Limits.

Rob Carolus and Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

JEFF MARKS & LORI BERNISH @ HARD ROCK CAFÉ, PITTSBURGH 8/17/03

I first met Pittsburgh-based singer/songwriter/guitarist Jeff Marks a couple of years ago at the 2001 Millenium Music Conference in Harrisburg. Although he has played once or twice in State College, I never had seen Jeff perform live before. But I have been on his email list since that first meeting at Millenium, and Jeff faithfully updates his mailing list weekly about his upcoming shows, both acoustic and with his full band, J.D. Strum.

Earlier this year, Jeff began performing in a duo with Lori Bernish, the lead singer of popular Pittsburgh modern rockers the Voodoo Babies, after that group announced their farewell. A fan of Lori's voice, I began studying Jeff's email reminders a bit more closely, looking for an opportunity to catch a performance of him and Lori. The pair performs every Tuesday night at the Rhythm House Cafe in Bridgeville, south of Pittsburgh. I had considered trying to roadtrip out to catch one of those shows, but the ongoing roadwork and closure of the Fort Pitt Bridge/Tunnel made that option less appealing. Recently, though, Jeff and Lori have begun performing on select Sunday afternoons at Pittsburgh's Hard Rock Cafe, located at the far more easily accessible (at least for us out-of-towners visiting Pittsburgh from the east) Station Square. I had seen one such show coming up on a Sunday where I had a pre-recorded “Backyard Rocker” guest. A plan was coming together...

The plan to catch Jeff and Lori picked up further steam when I learned that several of my Pellegrine's Monday Night Wing-Eating Think Tank cohorts just happened to be planning a joyride to Station Square the same Sunday that Jeff and Lori were scheduled to play at the Hard Rock Cafe. In the words of Hannibal from the TV show 'The A Team:' “I love it when a plan comes together!”

The course of our Sunday joyride brought us to Station Square late in the afternoon, and half of the entourage – the Right Honorable Guv'nor Jesse and myself – arrived at the Hard Rock Cafe during the intermission between Jeff and Lori's two sets. (The other two members of our entourage decided to eat at Hooters instead.) We ordered up some Hard Rock cuisine (the Pig Sandwich kicks ass!), and sat back to take in Jeff and Lori's set.

With Jeff strumming acoustic, the duo opened their set with a version of Mr. Big's “To Be With You,” sung nicely by Lori. Jeff and Lori alternated singing duties through the course of their set; and Jeff sang lead on the next song, one of his original songs called “There From Here.” The duo harmonized nicely on Indigo Girls' “Closer To Fine,” before Lori sang lead on the Doobie Brothers' “Long Train Running.” Jeff and Lori then blended their voiced again on the Stevie Nicks/Don Henley duet “Leather and Lace,” and Lori then sang Edie Brickell's “What I Am.” Jeff then performed two more original numbers from his CD, “Never Know Why” and “Muddy Shoes.” Lori then demonstrated her soulful side on a version of Dobie Gray's “Drift Away.” The duo again combined voices on John Mellencamp's “Authority Song,” before Jeff crooned lead on Neil Diamond's “Sweet Caroline.” After a Dave Matthews tune, Lori belted out some powerful bluesy voice on Janis Joplin's “Me and Bobby McGee.” Jeff then took on a Madonna song, “Borderline,” and continued with Peter Gabriel's “In Your Eyes.” Lori then capped the set, and their performance, with another Janis number, “Mercedes Benz.”

This was an enjoyable show. Jeff and Lori are each good singers in their own right, and together their voices blended well. They mixed it up well between alternating lead voices and duets, which kept their set varied. And through Jeff's own originals and their covers, both performed the song material in their own unique voices and styles, and the material sounded fresh during the entire set. Both appeared relaxed and comfortable in this setting, and their presentation was warm and cordial. The Hard Rock Cafe was well-populated with visitors and diners throughout their set, and the response to Jeff and Lori was appreciative after every song. Both the Guv'nor and I were impressed with Jeff and Lori, and I was glad I was able to finally take in their performance.

Lori Bernish and Jeff Marks.

Jeff Marks.

Lori Bernish and Jeff Marks, entertaining diners and tourists alike at Pittsburgh's Hard Rock Café.

Lori Bernish.

BACKSTREET LAW @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/17/03

Upon our arrival back in Altoona following the aforementioned Pittsburgh roadtrip, I proceeded directly to Pellegrine's, to conclude my weekend with Backstreet Law.

Actually, the VICTORIOUS Backstreet Law. Just days before, Backstreet Law had won the “Best Band to Play in PA” Contest, held at the Cell Block in Williamsport. For their victory, Backstreet Law received cash and equipment prizes, recording studio time, and a spot onstage during next year's Rolling Rock Town Fair in Pittsburgh.

The band's mood was expectedly upbeat as they rocked Pellegrine's with their mix of original songs, current and classic rock favorites, 80's rock and more. As I arrived, Backstreet Law was jumping back and forth between Violent Femmes' “Blister In The Sun” and their heavy-handed tongue-in-cheek treatment of Madonna's “Like a Virgin.” The group did the song “Shake” off their “Hollow” CD, before launching into a high-speed version of Steve Miller's “The Joker,” George Thorogood's “Bad to the Bone,” and their 80's hair-band medley, which segued together tunes from Poison, Scorpions, Ratt and Van Halen. The group then broke out their explicit hip-hop-flavored rocker “Seatbelt,” before ending their set with Ozzy's “Crazy Train.”

Backstreet Law's final set of the night blended more hard-hitting current and classic rock, originals and unpredictability. After tunes from Cold and Drowning Pool, the group performed the loud and metallic original “For Dead,” and followed with a thunderous version of Pantera's “Walk.” From there, Backstreet Law gave their weighty rendition of ZZ Top's “Sharp Dressed Man,” before shifting the party into dance mode with a hip-hop medley and their original tune “Party In The Parking Lot.” The group then introduced a new original song, “Frustrated,” before playing literal musical chairs with their instruments and performing a version of “Wild Thing” to end their set. When the dust settled, drummer Choke was singing lead, guitarist Jeremy Edge was playing bass, bassist Jamie Morral was behind the drum kit, and frontman Goody was playing guitar.

When the packed Pellegrine's dance floor demanded an encore at night's end, the group responded with a little comic relief. They borrowed a page from the S.O.D./M.O.D. archives, doing three quick haphazard one-note stingers entitled “Altoona,” “Pellegrine's” and “Bill” respectively. They then finished the night with a song I didn't readily recognize, I think entitled “Retarded Punk.” Whatever it was, it was crunchy and had the crowd hopping at stagefront to end the night.

As expected, Backstreet Law's performance was powerful, unpredictable and lively. This group always succeeds in keeping everybody on edge, not knowing what to expect next. I have witnessed few bands that can execute the variety of musical extremes that this band does on a given night and pull it all off. Their ability to constantly gearshift through their sets and still keep it uptempo and cohesive is a big reason why Backstreet Law is currently enjoying the success on regional stages that they are. Hopefully their eventual appearance at next year's Rolling Rock Town Fair will be the springboard to bigger and better things for Backstreet Law, a band that has paid their dues over the past decade and is now starting to reap some rewards for it.

Goody of Backstreet Law.

Draped with ladies, Jamie of Backstreet Law.

With Semper Fi representing on his arm, Goody of Backstreet Law. Ooo-rahh!!!

Once again, Goody of Backstreet Law.

Delivering some wicked bottom end, Jamie of Backstreet Law.

Playing musical musical chairs this night, Choke and Jeremy of Backstreet Law.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: