· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/15/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Mar 19, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/15/07

BLUEGRASS JAM @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/10/07

After turning in my evening at the workplace, I finished off the night at the Hitching Post, where the latest installment of the monthly John Stevens-organized Bluegrass Jam was taking place.

I arrived late, and only got to catch the last five songs of the night. As I entered, it was an 80% Mama Corn jam session, with John Stevens on dobro, Bruce Foor on guitar, Jeremy Nelson on banjo, Brad Floyd on mandolin and Sav Sankaran on the upright bass. This line-up aroused cheers from the house by kicking off a rendition of “Wagon Wheels.” They followed with a song by Jimmy Martin, another song, and the Bruce-sung rendition of Flatt & Scruggs’ “Dear Old Dixie.” The group then finished off the night with a grassed-up version of “Nadine.”

What I heard sounded good, and the musicians appeared to be having a blast on the stage. Although I didn’t see them play while I was there, John’s Mt. City Grass bandmates Denny and Katie Cerully were both in the house. In all, a good little blast of bluegrass while it lasted.

Another night of bluegrass jammin’ at the Hitching Post.

CHRIS V. & FRIENDS @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 10/11/07

Although Grade E stepped aside as a group earlier this year, two of their members are still in action with a new project; and I got to witness this new project this night at Al’s Tavern, taking over Grade E’s former semi-monthly Thursday slot.

Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band features Grade E alumni Chris Vipond on lead vocals and guitar and Mike Stanley on bass and vocals, plus Mike Z on cajon (a Latin box drum you sit on to play). Like Grade E before them, Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band generated frequently nonstop, freewheeling grooves that serve as the launching pad to explore a variety of styles and songs. I arrived in time to only witness a few songs before they shut it down for the night, but got to hear a few original songs, followed by a free jam that culminated in the night-ending rendition of the Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil.”

The groove was similar and reminiscent of Grade E, but Mike Z’s cajon gave the presentation a whole different dynamic, as well as a more organic and folksy flavor.

This brief encounter with Chris V & the Stanley Street Band whet my appetite to hear more, and I was determined to catch a lengthier performance in the near future.

TONY JANFLONE, JR. @ FORT LIGONIER DAYS FESTIVAL, LIGONIER 10/12/07

One of the most important holidays of the year had arrived…No, not Columbus Day…MY BIRTHDAY!

In JP tradition, I burned a vacation day from the workplace, and planned a little roadtrip somewhere, to enjoy some autumn leaves, some fall festival food and some live music. Those things all came together about 90 minutes west of the ‘Toona at the Fort Ligonier Days Festival in downtown Ligonier. I had never done this festival before, and with this afternoon’s scheduled musical entertainment being renowned Pittsburgh guitar great Tony Janflone Jr., I was there!

I had never driven in Ligonier before, so I was not sure how the town was laid out, and encountered a little confusion while trying to park the Professor-mobile. This worked out to my benefit, though, as I followed the signage to park, and parked near the high school football field. The sign said parking was 5 bucks, but I couldn’t find anybody to pay the money to, so I just parked the car and walked to the festival.

I followed other passers-by to the activity, and found the festival. There were a lot of arts and crafts booths set up, and around the downtown gazebo area, the food court and the gazebo stage, where Tony Janflone Jr. and his band were setting up. I grabbed some food and procured an initial picnic bench vantage point to watch the performance.

Tony and his band soon started their performance, opening with a version of Stealers Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle with You” which transformed into Jerry Lee Lewis’ “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On.” Armed with his cordless headset mic and Dillion guitar, Tony quickly stepped from the gazebo stage and ventured throughout the surrounding audience, inviting fans young and old alike to sing and dance along. Accompanied by his vastly talented corps of saxophonist Curtis Swift, keyboardist Richard Everett, bassist Matt Williams and drummer Jack Mrozowski; Tony played a variety of classic rock, funk and blues; often showcasing dazzling guitar work along the way. This set continued with a request for the ever-popular Wilson Pickett favorite “Mustang Sally,” featuring a feisty Curtis Swift sax solo. This was followed by a rendition of “Sweet Home Chicago,” which continued into the Richard-sung “Roadhouse Blues.” Midway through this Doors classic, the power cut out, prompting Tony to joke that the band forgot to pay the electric bill. After the power was restored, the show continued with a rendition of John Mayer’s “Waiting for the World to Change.” Richard again sang lead on the Stones’ “Paint It Black” and Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama.” At this point, Tony and band played one of his own numbers, the slow and bluesy instrumental “We Shouldn’t Have to Go,” which grew to a powerful crescendo with Tony unleashing full fury on his guitar. Tony and band then honored another audience request, doing Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” and continued with the Surfaris’ “Wipe Out,” Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven,” and the Matt-fronted version of ZZ Top’s “Tush.” At this point, Tony introduced the other members of his band, before he and group did a slow version of Prince’s “Purple Rain.” The group next visited the Ray Charles catalog with a version of “I Got a Woman,” followed by another audience request for Santana’s “Smooth,” and the Wallflowers’ “One Headlight” to end the performance.

As expected, this was an excellent show! Tony demonstrated his guitar talents early and often, showing the audience many examples of why he is so revered as a master of the six-string! But it wasn’t all about Tony, and he often deferred the spotlight to his bandmates and involved the audience in the show; from getting audience members to help sing along, or even playing his guitar alongside dancing children and toddlers. The mood of the performance was continually upbeat, warm and friendly; you could tell that Tony and his band were happy to be sharing their music with the Ligonier audience this chilly October afternoon.

I spoke with Tony shortly after the performance, and learned that he would be taking a break from live performing after the end of the year to recuperate from some recent health issues, concentrate on teaching guitar to his students, and complete several recording projects. This made me all the more glad I decided to do this roadtrip to Ligonier to see this performance.

I then left the festival and, after getting a little lost walking around the streets of Ligonier, found my way back to my car by the football field. By this point, a large traffic jam of cars was waiting to enter the parking area as Ligonier Valley’s football team was playing on this Friday night. I was worried about getting parked in, but was able to clear out of my space in time to let somebody else park. I then made my way up the pike back towards Johnstown, where I would grab a bite to eat and see what J-town’s live music scene had to offer.

Tony Janflone Jr. entertains some seated audience members at Fort Ligonier Days.

Tony Janflone Jr.’s drummer, Jack Mrozowski.

Again, Jack Mrozowski of Tony Janflone Jr.’s band.

Tony Janflone Jr.

Tony steps away from the gazebo stage to entertain the audience.

An off-duty Tom Pavic (Flood City Brass/Johnstown Classic Rockers) helps Tony Janflone Jr. with some backing vocals.

Together on the gazebo stage, Tony Janflone Jr. and his band.

Again, Tony Janflone Jr.

Two young ladies bust some dance moves during Tony Janflone Jr.’s performance.

More dancers young and younger join in the party!

Once again, Tony Janflone Jr.

Tony Janflone Jr.’s sax player, Curtis Swift.

More youngsters watch Tony Janflone Jr. work his guitar magic.

Tony continues to have fun with the youngsters.

Showing his guitar talents to more audience members, Tony Janflone Jr.

One more time, Tony Janflone Jr.

WHO’S YOUR DADDY @ CITY VIEW BAR & GRILL, JOHNSTOWN 10/12/07

I arrived back in Westmont, stopped at the Sheetz and grabbed a Johnstown Tribune-Democrat newspaper to see what live music was happening this night. Pickings were slim, but I noted that Johnstown blues favorites Who's Your Daddy were performing at the City View Bar & Grill at Johnstown's Inclined Plane. I knew the blues would be good, and decided to head up to the Incline to learn if the food was good as well.

Upon my arrival, I ran into Who’s Your Daddy drummer Bob Gironda, who previewed the evening’s performance for me, advising that the first set would be on the mellow side to accommodate the dining crowd. I would soon be part of that dining crowd, and decided to try the City View’s Salmon Capaccio…a little pricey, but delicious! And heck, it was my birthday, so why not treat myself!

Who’s Your Daddy kicked off their first set while I dined. Bob on drums, Gene Sweeney playing between acoustic and electric guitars, and Rick Napolitan on bass entertained the dinner and bar audiences with a tasty mixture; this initial set performing more acoustic-geared numbers from Gregg Allman, the Beatles, Johnny Cash, Santana and more. The lead vocal duties were split between Gene and Rick; Rick sang lead on versions of Charlie Daniels’ “Leave that Long-Haired Country Boy Alone,” the Man In Black’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “Blue on Black” and Muddy Waters’ “Honey Bee” to close the set.

By the latter stages of this opening set, I had finished my meal and migrated to the bar area adjacent to the stage to take in the rest of the show. The diners were gradually thinning out, but bar patrons and blues fans were arriving to enjoy the rest of Who’s Your Daddy’s performance.

After a short intermission, Who’s Your Daddy returned to their instruments, and opened their second set with Tinsley Ellis’ “Mr. Night Time.” Again the group mixed classic blues, blues rock and country blues, as they did numbers such as ZZ Top’s “I Thank You,” Johnny Cash’s “Cocaine Blues” (with special guest Kathy Miller dinging on the cowbell), Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up” (featuring a special guest singer named Joe), and Buddy Miles’ “Them Changes” to close the set.

With Rick and Bob providing the tight rhythmic backdrop, Gene offered a smooth and soulful singing voice, and demonstrated a wide array of guitar flavors electric and acoustic; enabling the group's song selection to sound fresh and varied throughout the evening. I was digging it so far, and so was the mid-sized City View audience.

Who's Your Daddy soon returned for one more set, opening with John Hiatt’s “Feels Like Rain.” I stuck around for the next song, “Paralyzed,” and a version of Roy Orbison’s “Pretty Woman,” before deciding to call it a night and head back over the mountain.

The combination of good food and hot blues made for an enjoyable finish to my birthday.

Who’s Your Daddy, rocking and bluesing the City View Café.

Gene Sweeney of Who’s Your Daddy.

Again, Who’s Your Daddy.

JUSTIN GARMAN @ THE GROUND ROUND, JOHNSTOWN 10/13/07

My birthday is too much a momentous event to be limited to just one day of celebrating. So after resting up from my previous day’s travels, I was ready for more on this Saturday!

I started out in mid-afternoon, headed westward once again. This day, I was tackling a hike I had long wanted to do, over the old Western Maryland rail trail near Meyersdale and over the nearby Salisbury Viaduct (a huge rail bridge that spans over Route 219 and the adjacent Casselman River. It was a fun drive getting there, as I listened to Penn State beat up on Wisconsin on the radio as I headed southward on Route 219. I arrived in Meyersdale
in late afternoon, parked at the refurbished Western Maryland train station, and did the hike. I photographed some CSX trains passing under the Salisbury Viaduct, and then returned to my car, arriving back as the sun was setting and the air was cooling off.

The next order of business was grabbing dinner. Other than Sheetz and a Fox’s Pizza Den, Meyersdale seemed to not have much in the way of eateries, so I proceeded back northward on Route 219 to grab some grub in the Johnstown vicinity. Recalling that the Ground Round in the Galleria Mall featured some acoustic entertainment on Saturday evenings, I headed there to do some dinner and check out some live music courtesy of acoustic soloist Justin Garman.

Justin was well into his first set as I arrived and was seated at the Ground Round. I observed as Justin displayed an interesting free-form style both on voice and guitar. His singing style was very expressive and explored a varied range of moods, while his guitar work occasionally ventured into psychedelic stylings with reverb effects and more. Justin’s song selection was eclectic over the two sets I saw, ranging from B.B. King’s “The Thrill is Gone” and Paul Simon’s “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard” to The Miracles’ “I Second that Emotion,” to Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun” and a wild space/psychedelic-edged rendition of Kiss’ “God of Thunder!” Some of Justin’s original material had a slight Dave Matthews flavor, but overall was more improvisational and adventurous.

It was an interesting performance overall, even though there were only a handful of people in the eatery to witness it. It gave me a good introductory representation of what Justin Garman is about; hopefully I’ll encounter him on Johnstown area stages again sometime soon.

Justin Garman entertains at the Ground Round.

Again, Justin Garman.

HOUSE OF COMMONS @ DIVELY’S TAVERN, JOHNSTOWN 10/13/07

After completing my dinner at the Ground Round, I had to decide whether I was heading back to catch some live musical entertainment in the Altoona vicinity this Saturday night, or remain on the Johnstown side of the mountain. Realizing that winter weather wasn’t too far away and that I should get some Johnstown bandwatching done while I still had the opportunity, I decided to remain in the Flood City, and headed to Dively’s Tavern to investigate House Of Commons.

Having seen drummer Dom Peruso doing the jazz thing in the Duke Morrison Quartet just days before, this would give me a chance to witness his talents in another genre. Dom on drums, guitarists/singers Jeff Perigo and Glenn Henry, and bassist Scott Jeffreys would feature an intriguing mixture of sounds before all was said and done this night.

Arriving during their first set, I watched as House Of Commons played an interesting mixture of rock, funk and jazz. There was no rulebook here; their performance was unpredictable, with unexpected twists and turns, and frequent improvisation as all four musicians played off one another and reacted to each other’s cues. The group did a couple of original songs whose titles I did not catch, and finished the set with an interesting arrangement of the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” which included Jeff displaying some atmospheric guitar work, plus some trade off soloing between Jeff and Glenn.

Things got more interesting during House Of Commons’ second set, which used Pink Floyd’s “Breathe” as a launching pad to an all-out 35-minute jam-rock improvisational adventure! This jam interlude took on numerous flavors, directions and side journeys before finally reaching its terminus, to which one audience member yelled “Play it again!”

After another intermission, the group returned for one more chapter, reconvening the music with their interesting arrangement of Marvin Gaye/CCR’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine.” The group did two more numbers, before closing the night with a spin on the Doors’ “Soul Kitchen.”

Again, this was an interesting musical adventure, with lots of interesting musical directions and journeys through House Of Commons’ three sets. House Of Commons’ show was freewheeling and off-the-wall musically, yet frequently tongue-in-cheek and fun, never taking things too seriously. The Dively’s crowd enjoyed the ride, and cheered as the adventure continued.

House Of Commons convenes infrequently at Dively’s Tavern; and if you have the chance to bear witness to this group, check it out…and get ready for an adventure!

Jeff Perigo and Glenn Henry of House Of Commons.

Scott Jeffreys of House Of Commons.

House Of Commons brings their improvisational brand of music to Dively’s Tavern.

FLOOD CITY BRASS @ ST. ROCHUS OKTOBERFEST, JOHNSTOWN 10/14/07

After attending and having a great time at this event last year, I decided this day to make a return visit to the annual St. Rochus Oktoberfest on the church’s picnic grounds near Johnstown. This year, though, I was bringing along guests, as Sparky D’Engineer and Big Jim came along to see what it was all about.

We arrived shortly before the afternoon’s scheduled entertainment, Johnstown’s Flood City Brass, was ready to begin. I immediately headed to the ticket booth and then the food window to procure St. Rochus’ pigs-in-a-blanket dinner, which I enjoyed last year. At the $7 price tag, you can’t beat it!

The band started while we were eating, starting off the music with Spencer Davis Group’s “Gimme Some Lovin’” and continuing with a variety of classic rock, R&B, funk and other favorites, offered up with their fiery, brassy edge. The group did “Hey Bartender,” followed by James Brown’s “I Feel good” and Sly & the Family Stone’s “Dance to the Music,” and the St. Rochus pavilion dance floor was busy with rug-cutters. Next was the Temptations double-shot of “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” and “My Girl,” followed by Van Morrison’s “Moondance.” The group then ventured into a big band number for the older audience members, featuring a guest singer. Then it was Sam & Dave’s “Soul Man,” the Commodores’ “Brick House” and Chicago’s “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is” to finish out the set.

It was quickly apparent once their performance began that Flood City Brass was feeling it this day; their performance was bright and feisty, and you could tell these musicians were fired up to be playing this annual party. Singer Tom Pavic was quickly venturing out into the crowd and firing up the dance floor revelers with his spirited and soulful voice; and the horn section was cranking out their brassiness with enthusiasm and purpose.

Big Jim, Sparky and I continued to enjoy some of the St. Rochus cuisine, including some excellent pumpkin gobs! Food sales at this event were brisk, and it didn’t take too long for the kitchen to start selling out of some food items, including the pierogis and halushki.

Following the intermission, Flood City Brass returned and kicked off their second set with Kool & the Gang’s “Celebration,” before venturing back into Motown with the Four Tops’ “I Can’t Help Myself.” The group cranked up the funk with Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music” and Stevie Wonder’s “Signed Sealed Delivered,” before drummer John Homerski Jr. handled the lead vocal chores from behind the kit on Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” and Jimmy Buffett’s parrothead national anthem “Margaritaville.” Back to the Van Morrison catalog for “Domino,” followed by the Chicago ballad “Colour My World;” giving the couples an opportunity to slow-dance. The slow sounds continued with Nat King Cole’s “Unforgettable,” before the group returned to faster fare with John Cafferty’s “On the Dark Side.” At this point, the band welcomed a special guest, Night Train singer Don Duriez, to sing lead on the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin.’” Flood City Brass engaged the happy crowd on a singalong rendition of “Mustang Sally,” before letting the horn section blow off some steam with Blood Sweat & Tears’ “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy” to close the set.

Night had arrived by the time Flood City Brass started into their third set. The brass section got another workout with the set-opening rendition of Chicago’s “Make Me Smile,” and the dance floor quickly filled up as the group continued with another Wilson Pickett favorite, “634-5789.” They then broke out some Average White Band, doing a fine and feisty rendition of “Pick Up the Pieces,” before tapping the Springsteen catalog for “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out.” Singer Tom then had some fun crooning “Just a Gigolo,” before the group slowed it down again for Billy Vera & the Beaters’ “At This Moment.”

At this point, Big Jim, Sparky and I departed the Oktoberfest to head back over the mountain. But once again, this party provided great food, excellent tunes and an overall fun time, as everybody enjoyed one of the final outdoor gatherings of the year before cold weather set in. If I can keep the date free next October, I’ll be back next year!

Here is footage from Flood City Brass’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00164.MPG

Flood City Brass gets ‘em dancing early at St. Rochus Oktoberfest.

The dance floor party continues with Flood City Brass.

More dancing excitement with Flood City Brass.

From a different angle up on the hillside, Flood City Brass.

Tom Pavic of Flood City Brass.

The Oktoberfest fun in the sun continues.

John Homerski Jr. of Flood City Brass.

Again, John Homerski Jr.

Josh Covert of Flood City Brass.

More dancing with Flood City Brass.

Guest Don Duriez sings with Flood City Brass.

Again, Flood City Brass with guest singer Don Duriez.

One more time, Flood City Brass.

7TH GEAR @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/14/07

Back on the Altoona side of the mount, I soon headed to Pellegrine’s to close out another weekend, this time with 7th Gear providing the tunage.

I arrived right in the nick of time during the late stages of the group’s second set, entering Pelly’s main band room just in time to see a frisky off-duty exotic dancer lift her hood and beam her headlights during the Beatles’ “Twist and Shout!” My eyes safely jarred open, I took in the remainder of the set, as singer/guitarist Brendon Burns, bassist/singer Kelly Montgomery and drummer Eric Wertz played renditions of Van Morrison’s “Wild Night” (appropriately, given what the stagefront crowd just witnessed!), Radiohead’s “Creep” and Sublime’s “Santeria” to send the set into intermission.

A festive, mid-sized crowd was in attendance at Pelly’s this night. And after a small break in the action, 7th Gear was back to get some of those folks dancing once again.

The nightcap set opened with a Live number, “Dolphins Cry,” and continued with a bright mix of current and classic rocking favorites from Van Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Sublime, Blues Traveler, Violent Femmes, James, Neil Young, Buckcherry, Guns N’Roses, Wheatus, Dave Matthews Band, Nena, and finally, Bryan Adams’ ever-popular “Summer of ‘69” to close out the night.

The band sounded good and consistent, with both Brendon and Kelly doing nice jobs on vocals. All three of these musicians executed on target as a unit, and kept the pace lively and the musical action constant. The dance floor remained busy through it all; bottom line, good party!

Brendon Burns of 7th Gear.

Eric Wertz of 7th Gear.

Kelly Montgomery of 7th Gear.

Kelly and Brendon of 7th Gear.

Again, 7th Gear, bringing the party to Pellegrine’s.

Again, Brendon Burns of 7th Gear.

Again, Kelly Montgomery of 7th Gear.

JP’s HAIKU

St. Rochus fall fest
Flood City Brass gets horny
Fun while warm temps last

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »