· The Final Cut
HALLOWEEN WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP PT. II 11/5/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Apr 01, 2008 

HALLOWEEN WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP PT. II 11/5/07

THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW @ THE BREWERY, STATE COLLEGE 10/30/07

This Halloween season saw another production of The Rocky Horror Show by State College-based independent theatre organization Mad Muse Productions. This time, I headed to catch the midnight showing of the production (traditionally the wilder showing) at The Brewery. Once again I would see the rocking musical story of newlyweds Brad Majors and Janet Weiss, making the wrong turn down that road on a rainy night and arriving at the castle inhabited by Frank'n'Furter, his servants Riff Raff, Columbia and Magenta, Transylvanians, bizarre sexual experiments and more.

Staged over three nights at The Brewery, this year's Rocky mixed things up by giving each primary character their own musical slant, with backing group Wine Of Nails skillfully keeping each character's musical personality distinct while tying everything together into a cohesive whole. Rocky antagonist Frank'n'Furter (played by J.D. Rau) displayed a funky presence; his creation, Rocky (Colin Nickell) was more punk-flavored; and ill-fated Eddie (portrayed by producer Lori Howsare) took on a 50's-styled Elvis-like persona. "The Time Warp" still rocked, and all the expected Rocky Horror highlights and callbacks made this another memorable and fun performance.

It's different viewing Rocky Horror in a bar setting, but it was fun nonetheless, with the actors, actresses and action much closer to the audience. It's fun to see how this production transpires every year, to see the nuances and subtle changes from year to year. The callbacks are always funny, and every year somebody thinks of outrageous new ones. Credit to all the cast members for maintaining their composure and not busting out laughing at some of the callbacks; I know I was laughing hysterically at a few of them!

Hats off to Lori Howsare, musical director John Charney (Wine Of Nails), and the Mad Muse Productions cast and staff for again giving a fresh makeover to this Halloween season favorite!

Frank’n’Furter, Magenta and Columbia celebrate Transylvanian decadence while Wine Of Nails performs behind them.

Again, Rocky Horror with a musical side order of Wine Of Nails.

Dr. Everett Von Scott (also played by Lori Howsare) arrives on the scene during Rocky Horror.

The Rocky cast during the curtain call, with Wine Of Nails behind them.

MAMA CORN @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/31/07

Halloween itself had officially arrived, this year on a Wednesday. Most venues had already staged their official Halloween parties the weekend before, but The Hitching Post and Mama Corn hosted one this night, and a Halloween party with a decidedly bluegrass flavor.

Thus far this Halloween season, I had not been able to devise a good idea for a costume. And if I can’t come up with a good idea, I won’t do a costume that sucks. But true to JP tradition, a simple idea popped into my head before I went to work. It was simple, most of the costume ingredients were already in house, and my only expenditure to bring the costume idea to life was for a six-pack of Bass Ale, which I purchased at the 17th Street Sheetz after I finished work. I consumed one bottle of Bass, washed out the empty bottle, attached it to some fishing line and a bamboo fishing rod, put on my fishing gear and license, and headed to the Hitching Post as…a Bass fisherman!

Admittedly, the costume was simple and stupid, but it got some laughs when I arrived at the Post (which is what I aim for with my costume ideas, a good laugh). I wasn’t the only costumed crazy in the house; other costumes included a geisha girl, a Star Trek admiral (to the delight of my cohort and maniacal Trekkie Guv’nor Jesse, also in attendance), a cavewoman and Satan.

Also partially costumed, Mama Corn delivered the bluegrass-flavored Halloween party, providing ample doses of all things Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe, and traditional. They did favorites like “Man of Constant Sorrow,” “Wagon Wheels” and more. But singer/guitarist Bruce Forr, singer/banjo player Jeremy Nelson, dobro player John Stevens, mandolin player Brad Floyd and bassist Brett Fanelli had fun along the way, offering lighthearted bluegrass spins on Michael Jackson hits, Bobby “Boris” Pickett’s Halloween hit “The Monster Mash,” Black Sabbath’s “Fairies Wear Boots,” Men at Work’s “Down Under” and more. Their pickin’ and grinnin’ was tight and on target, and their vocal harmonies were great!

The mood remained festive through it all, as Mama Corn kept it happy musically, and brought a few of the costumed crazies up to the stage for special prizes and awards. The audience demanded more at night’s end, and Mama Corn answered with renditions of “Let It Shine” and the acappella “Goodnight.”

This officially closed out Halloween season 2008; a good time!

It’s a Mama Corn bluegrass Halloween party!

Jeremy Nelson of Mama Corn presents a prize to one of the top costumed crazies, an evil-looking black-clad Satan.

Mama Corn, with Sav Sankaran helping out on vocals.

Guest singer Dwane Edmiston joins in the fun with Mama Corn.

A Bass fisherman, happy with his catch.

It looks like the Geisha girl is impressed with the Bass fisherman’s catch as well!

ECHO CHAMBER @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 11/2/07

I decided to stick in the ‘Toona for my Friday night bandwatching, and checked in for an update on Echo Chamber, performing at the 4D’s.

I arrived early during the group’s first set of the night, and quickly was invited to sit with a group of friends in the Dees’ upper seating level near the stage. Crowd was a little sparse at this early point in the evening, but hopefully the room would fill up as the night proceeded.

Singer Ken Gray, guitarists Ricky McPhearson and Brian Banks, bassist Mitch Rockman and drummer Tim Layton were drilling some 70’s hard rockers, doing versions of Judas Priest’s “Breakin’ the Law,” Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid,” Alice Cooper’s “Eighteen” and another Priest number, “Living After Midnight.” The group continued with ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man,” before launching into AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell” and Nazareth’s “Hair of the Dog.” After Ken introduced the band members, Echo Chamber closed out the first set with Patti Smith’s “Because the Night.”

Although I liked the vein of classic hard rock Echo Chamber had performed thus far, I was a little apprehensive because the Dees crowd typically is into more current rock, and I wasn’t sure how this first set would go over with people deciding whether to stay or head elsewhere. The Dees was getting a few more people in through the door, so we would soon learn if Echo Chamber could keep these folks in the house and possibly get them onto the dance floor.

Ken took matters into his own hands as Echo Chamber started their second set, as he came out into the room and recruited dancers onto the dance floor. Echo Chamber musically moved into the 90’s in this set, as they performed selections from Nirvana, Live and Pearl Jam. They also broke out some 60’s numbers with the Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black” and Cream’s “White Room,” and also went more recent with tunes from Seether and Drowning Pool. Partially fueled by Ken’s initiative at the set’s start, this set saw increased activity on the Dees’ dance floor.

Echo Chamber’s performance was a mixed package so far. Instrumentally, the group was fairly solid on their instruments and on the same page. On the vocal front, it was hit or miss; Ken did a satisfactory job when he handled lower-ranged vocals, particularly on 90’s grunge-flavored numbers. But when he went for the heights, especially on Judas Priest, it wasn’t happening. The group’s pace was inconsistent as well, as frequent pauses in the action prevented the first two sets from generating much momentum. Still, the small-ish crowd was sticking around, and although on the small side, there were enough people here to prevent Echo Chamber’s efforts from resounding around an empty room.

Echo Chamber opened the nightcap set with a Nickelback number, and followed with tunes from Velvet Revolver, Godsmack, Pink Floyd, the Cars, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Beastie Boys, Metallica and Quiet Riot. The group seemed to reach more of a stride during this set, and as a result, the dance floor action remained more constant. Ken was doing a better job on the vocal end most of the way, until he reached Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health,” which closed the set. Again, not happening…

But the dance floor crowd was into party mode enough that they did demand an encore, and the group responded with Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train,” with dormant local guitar man Rod Hill strapping on one of the guitars and making a guest appearance.

While Echo Chamber succeeded in triggering a small dance floor party, this night showed that they have some work ahead of them; in refining their song selection to work more towards Ken’s strengths if he continues on as their frontman, and to also improve the overall tempo and pace of the show, so dance floor participants aren’t given excuses to sit back down, and perhaps leave. But it could have been an off night as well, and I’ll keep an eye on them to see where their future course leads.

Ken Gray of Echo Chamber.

Echo Chamber, rocking down the 4D’s.

Mitch Rockman of Echo Chamber.

Again, Ken Gray of Echo Chamber.

Ricky McPhearson, Brian Banks and Ken Gray of Echo Chamber.

Again, Mitch Rockman of Echo Chamber.

Tim Layton of Echo Chamber.

A couple of onlookers take in Echo Chamber’s performance.

THE BRITISH INVASION @ MYA’S MIRACLE AUTISM BENEFIT, BAVARIAN HALL, ALTOONA 11/3/07

This Saturday night presented a dilemma, and ultimately a tough decision. Two special benefit shows were taking place this night. One was a benefit at the Eldolyn Terrace to help out cancer patient Jaclyn Koeck, the daughter of CK & the Boomers singer/keyboardist John Koeck. The other was the Mya’s Miracle Benefit Dance for Autism, happening at the Bavarian Hall, with proceeds supporting Mya’s Miracle Team’s participation in the fight to find a cure for autism, during the local 2008 Walk Now for Autism. Would I try to run around and cover both of them, or decide on just one? I decided that with both events likely to have huge crowds, that parking would be a hassle if I tried to attend either event later on, so I went with one benefit. Since organizer Bev Nardozza had contacted me about the Mya’s Miracle benefit several weeks earlier, I decided to take in this show, with British Invasion providing the music.

A large crowd was already in place at the Bavarian Hall as I arrived early during The British Invasion’s first set. Singer Bob Gates, guitarist Rick Wertz, keyboardist/guitarist Harold Hayford, bassist Kent Tonkin and drummer Beau Saller entertained the large audience and kept the Bavarian’s dance floor busy with a wide variety of British rock from the 60’s and 70’s. The group’s first set broke the ice with the Bavarian crowd, as they mixed tunes from the Beatles, Rod Stewart, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Free, the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, Badfinger and more. Highlights during this early set included the powerful version of Uriah Heep’s “Stealin’” and the Stones double-shot of “Street Fighting Man” and “The Last Time.”

The British Invasion upped the ante in the second set, tackling some more challenging British classics such as Deep Purple’s “Highway Star,” Pink Floyd’s “On the Run/Time,” and the set-closing rendition of Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir.” The group also did several double-shots, including the Deep Purple double-shot of “Strange Kind of Woman” and “Hush,” the David Bowie two-fer of “Fame” and “Suffragette City,” and the Moody Blues pairing of “The Story in Your Eyes” and “Nights in White Satin.”

It was all sounding very good so far, with the five musicians at the top of their game. The sound and light production this night was great as well, as they pulled all stops to make this show look and feel concert caliber.

The British Invasion’s final set opened with The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” followed by the Beatles triple-shot of “Love Me Do,” “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and “She Loves You.” The group then broke out Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath,” followed by Badfinger’s “No Matter What” and Dave Clark Five’s “Glad All Over.” After some door prize winners were announced, the group continued with Cream’s “White Room” and the Beatles’ “I Am the Walrus” to close the set. But the packed dance floor and audience demanded more music, and the British Invasion responded, by putting the spotlight on guitarist Rick Wertz to sing a decidedly un-British favorite, Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music;” before the group closed out the show with Deep Purple’s “Smoke on the Water.”

As this band has demonstrated before, they didn’t merely cover British rock; they strived to capture the sound and atmosphere of the original classics; with attention to guitar textures and tones, keyboard effects, vocals and vocal harmonies and more. This band sweated the details, and it again made for a stellar presentation.

The inaugural Mya’s Miracle benefit was a huge success, and an encore benefit is being planned.

The British Invasion gets folks dancing at the Mya’s Miracle benefit.

Bob Gates, Kent Tonkin and Rick Wertz of The British Invasion.

Beau Saller of The British Invasion.

Again, Bob, Kent and Rick of The British Invasion.

Kent and Rick.

Guv’nor Jesse contemplates his beer as Bob Gates of The British Invasion sings.

Again, The British Invasion.

More British Invasion.

Rick Wertz of The British Invasion, singing and playing some funky music.

Again, Rick Wertz.

Once again, a Grimm-looking Kent Tonkin of The British Invasion.

BLUES MOON @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/3/07

Since the Mya’s Miracle benefit finished just before midnight, I still had some time left to catch another band playing in town. I headed to City Limits, where BluesMoon was making their first appearance.

I arrived late during their second set, and a lightly-populated City Limits audience was watching as BluesMoon mixed classic rock and blues. Singer Trace Baker and harmonica man Chris Trasatti were blending voices on Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks’ “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” and the group continued with the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out” and a John Mayall number to close out the set.

Although the crowd was small, it was mostly festive, inspired by City Limits barkeep Tessa’s birthday celebration this night. And although they didn’t have a big crowd to play to, BluesMoon – this night featuring Trace, Chris, bassist Bill Brickley, guitarist Scott Bachman and drummer John Erdley – were clearly having fun on stage and bringing the blues-rocking party to the folks who were there.

Trace and BluesMoon kicked off ttheir abbreviated third set with Susan Tedeschi’s “Rock Me Right.” They brought a few folks onto City Limits’ dance floor for “Mustang Sally,” before Chris sang and showed off more of his harmonica talents on “Early in the Morning.” Trace then led the group in a fiery read of the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post,” before the night ended with Etta James/Foghat’s “I Just Wanna Make Love to You.”

BluesMoon was inspired and in good form this night. Trace’s voice was charged, mega-soulful and powerful, and the BluesMoon instrumental cast was firing on all cylinders and making every note count. They again delivered the goods for the few folks who were in attendance this night, and what I saw of their performance nicely capped an evening of great live music in the Altoona area.

BluesMoon, entertaining at City Limits.

Again, BluesMoon.

Chris Trasatti of BluesMoon.

Bill Brickley and Scott Bachman of BluesMoon.

Trace Baker of BluesMoon.

Filling in behind the drum kit this night, John Erdley of BluesMoon.

Once again, BluesMoon.

Again, Scott Bachman of BluesMoon.

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/4/07

Following my weekly “Backyard Rocker” duties this night, I eventually finished out my weekend at Pellegrine’s, catching the remainder of Rise Phoenix Rise’s latest appearance.

It was a typical Sunday night at Pelly’s, with a good-sized crowd in attendance to party down with Rise Phoenix Rise as they mixed current and classic favorites, plus a few original songs along the way. Singer Gibson, guitarists Chris Bishop and Jarrod Griffith, bassist Ronnie Williams and drummer Rob Hampton were doing Eve 6’s “Inside Out” as I arrived, and kept the dance floor crowd happy the rest of the second set with numbers from the Ataris, Van Halen, Green Day, Neil Diamond, KC & the Sunshine Band, Commodores, Wild Cherry, Nirvana and Beastie Boys. They also performed “Walk Away,” the current single from their just-released debut CD, The Land of Oohs and Aahs.

After the intermission, the group kept the crowd happy til the end with tunes from Def Leppard, the Knack, the Outfield, the Cars, Billy Idol, and finally, Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine” to close out the night.

Rise Phoenix Rise kept the energy level high through it all with their action-packed stage show. Gibson was constant motion as he worked the crowd from all parts of the stage. Ronnie, Jarrod and Chris were tight and energetic on their instruments, with Rob holding down the fort behind them with the steady drum beats.

As said, a typical Sunday night party at Pellegrines; ultimately a good thing.

The only picture I took this night, of Guv’nor Jesse enjoying a Star Trek moment. Cheap thrills on a Sunday night…

JP’s HAIKU

Mya’s Miracle
Brit Invasion’s UK tunes
Battling autism

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1