· The Final Cut
CHRISTMAS WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 12/31/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Apr 11, 2008 

CHRISTMAS WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 12/31/07

GIANTS OF SCIENCE @ 4D'S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 12/25/07

Christmas had finally arrived. After spending the day relaxing and watching a chunk of the 24-hour A Christmas Story marathon on the tube, and enjoying Christmas dinner, I headed out to do some Christmas socializing with some friends, before capping the holiday at the 4D's Lounge, where the Giants of Science were giving music fans a good excuse to escape their families, in-laws and other relatives.

I arrived late during the Giants' second set, and saw the group keep a crowded Dees dance floor gyrating with renditions of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin,'" Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl," Sublime's "Santeria" and Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me (Like a Record)."

During the intermission, I was informed by the Right Honorable Guv'nor Jesse that not everybody was in the holiday spirit, and that a few fisticuffs had taken place earlier in the night. Somebody must not have gotten what they wanted under the tree earlier in the day.

Soon the Giants returned to finish off the party. Singer/guitarist Crow, singer/guitarist Mick, Scotty B on keys and Jamie on drums reconvened the music with Guns N'Roses' "Sweet Child O'Mine," quickly refilling the Dees' dance floor. The party continued with The Ataris/Don Henley's "Boys of Summer," Blink 182's "Dammit," Green Day's "When I Come Around," Aha's "Take On Me" and the Bangles' "Walk Like an Egyptian." An unidentified female singer then fronted the group on Wheatus' "Teenage Dirtbag," before Bad Daze drum man Eric Wertz stepped behind the Giants' kit to provide the beats on Gin Blossoms' "Hey Jealousy." After a Tool "Sober" tease, the Giants Of Science then concluded the musical festivities with Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me."

The Giants gave a good performance overall, keeping the music upbeat and tight-paced, and providing no reason for the Dees' crowd to vacate the dance floor. Both Crow's and Mick's voices were in good form, and the group stayed instrumentally on target. It was a typical Giants Of Science good time party.

After the onstage entertainment ended, the off-stage entertainment resumed. The spirit of Christmas cheer prevailed in the room when a tough guy wannabee, who probably only goes out once a year and has to start a fight when he does, slugged another guy who stood a foot taller than him. The taller gent held his composure, and some security personnel got between the two guys. But "Likes-to-Fight-Guy" wasn't content with that, and began shoving the security guys! This brought the older Bobby D to the scene to yell at the assailant, telling him to leave and never set foot inside his venue again. "Likes-to-Fight-Guy" calmly looked at Bob, and told him to apply suction to a part of his male anatomy. All hell broke loose at this point; I've never seen the elder Bob this mad before, and he was ready to throw down! Fortunately, security took over from here, as a number of staff surrounded "Likes-to-Fight-Guy" and started crowding him towards the side door entrance (where the outdoor "pitt" patio is). "Likes-to-Fight-Guy" resisted this effort, and it was on! Mob justice prevailed, as the scrum of security staff overpowered the assailant and worked him inch by inch towards the door, working him over in the process. And just as they got him outside the door, an Altoona police cruiser arrived on scene, just in time to transport "Likes-to-Fight-Guy" to his overnight hotel accommodations in the city hoosegow. Merry Christmas! At least it was entertaining; I should have taken pictures! Seasons beatings!

Jamie of Giants Of Science.

An unidentified lady and her friend help sing lead for the Giants Of Science.

Again, Giants Of Science with their guest singer.

The Christmas night party continues with the Giants Of Science and their guests.

Scotty B of Giants Of Science.

Mick of Giants Of Science.

Bad Daze drum man Eric Wertz, celebrating Christmas behind the drum kit with Giants Of Science.

More Christmas night fun with the Giants Of Science.

Again, the Giants Of Science.

Crow of Giants Of Science.

More good times with the Giants Of Science.

BROKEN PONY @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/26/07

The night after Christmas, I returned to the Hitching Post for another edition of Wednesday "Country Night," this week featuring Broken Pony. Randy "Jackson" Rutherford was back in the line-up on electric guitar and vocals (he wasn't there the last time I saw this group), joining Pat McGinnis on lead vocals, acoustic guitar and bass pedal, Kim Metzger on pedal steel and guitar and Tim Yingling on drums. I arrived towards the end of their second set, in time to hear them do Jimmy Buffett's "Margaritaville" and the Neil Young double-shot of "Harvest" and "Heart of Gold."

After a short intermission, Broken Pony returned to perform two more sets. Again, they presented a wide mixture of country, folk, blues and Americana sounds. Their song selection featured such varied numbers as Commander Cody/Merle Travis' "Smoke That Cigarette" (sung by Kim), Jerry Jeff Walker's "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mothers," Jimmy Reed's "Bright Lights, Big City," the Randy-sung edition of Neil Young's "Helpless," Guy Clark's "Homegrown Tomatoes," Stephen Stills' "Love the One You're With," a request for "Wagon Wheels," the traditional "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" and more. This night saw guest appearances from Brian Cupples, contributing his guitar and voice on Chuck Berry's "Reelin' and Rockin'" and the Fabulous Thunderbirds' "She's Tough;" and former 9 Planet Tour singer Erika Marino, displaying her vocal power and range on the night-ending rendition of Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee."

Broken Pony smoothly tied their diverse song selection together into a cohesive, uplifting presentation, punctuated by clean and tasteful solo work from Randy and Kim, and underscored by Tim's steady and controlled stick and brush work. Once again, I was impressed with the group's diverse song selection, as I was again introduced to a few numbers I had never heard before, and reminded of a few I had forgotten. Again, this band was entertaining and educational!

Broken Pony always delivers an excellent performance; and this night was no exception. If you haven't checked this group out yet, do so – I know I'll be back to hear more from them very soon!

Broken Pony, bringing their country stylings to the Hitching Post.

Again, Broken Pony.

With guest Erika Marino belting out some voice, Broken Pony.

Once again, Broken Pony, with guest singer Erika Marino.

CHRIS V. & THE STANLEY STREET BAND @ AL'S TAVERN, ALTOONA 12/27/07

Short and sweet, I arrived late at Al's Tavern to grab a meal and catch what I could of Chris V & the Stanley Street Band's performance. I got the meal, but only got to see two songs before the band called it a night; the Rolling Stones' "Syumpathy for the Devil" and for the encore, a request for one of the group's original songs, "Lucy."

Chris Vipond – ‘Chris V’ – of Chris V & the Stanley Street Band.

DEATHMASTER & DEATH'S MISTRESS CHRISTMAS PARTY, CRESSON 12/28/07

The merriment of the holiday season continued this night, as I attended a Christmas party at the digs of Rockpagers DMFJ03 and Esa in Cresson. I had planned to start the night at the party and catch another band or two in the neighborhood later on. But the night didn't quite turn out that way.

The party was a good time, enough so that I didn't leave until well past bar band standard quitting time of 2! The Deathmaster and Death's Mistress put out a good food spread (peel-and-eat shrimps, cheese and whatever that killer dip was, great!). The Deathmaster gave me and other party attendees an exclusive insider look at the attic practice location for Crow In The Snow; we even got to see the resident dead bird (I forget its name?).

But the star of the party was the Deathmaster's Nintendo Wii game system, where several of us became hopelessly addicted on Wii bowling! I sure as hell can't bowl 170 scores in a real alley! Left-handed, right-handed, sitting down, I was knocking down pins, making unbelievable spares and hitting strikes right and left! Only Esa could derail me from my ultimate destiny in the Wii bowling Hall of Fame (see photos).

It was a good time, enough so that I bagged any plans for live bandwatching this night. Oh well, it was bound to happen at some point! Thanks to the host and hostess, I look forward to doing it again sometime!

(The following photos all courtesy of Esa’s Myspace…)

The hostess and host of this shindig, Death’s Mistress and the Deathmaster.

The James triumvirate, showing our dexterity by feeding our faces and bowling at the same time.

I’m obviously liking this Nintendo Wii bowling stuff...

I was en route to a 300 game up until this point...Rolling Eyes

DOLLARZ-N-SENSE @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 12/29/07

I had hoped to catch a few bands around town this Saturday night; however, I logged late hours this night putting together my annual three-hour "Backyard Rocker" year-end recap special (the only edition of the show that I script out and totally produce). By the time I escaped well after midnight, I only had time to catch one band, so I headed to 30 Something (formerly City Limits) to get my first look at Dollarz-n-Sense.

From Indiana County, Dollarz-n-Sense features Aaron Gindlesperger on lead vocals, bass and keys, Buck Parsley on guitar and Ron Watt on drums. I arrived just before their third and final set of the night; and although not a big crowd, at least a few folks were in the house to see what this band was about. Dollarz-n-Sense soon got on stage and commenced their set with Jet's "Cold Hard Bitch." They then introduced one of their own tunes, the hard-driving "Unsung Hero," dedicated to somebody they knew that recently returned home after a tour of duty in Afghanistan. Next was Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World," followed by Black Sabbath's "Paranoid." The group then finished the night with two more of their own numbers, a ballad and "Dark Horizon."

Although I didn't get to see much of them this night, I liked what Dollarz-n-Sense brought to the stage. Their original sound is melody-geared rock rooted in classic and southern sounds, and they executed it well. Dollarz-n-Sense did a good job overall, performing tightly as a unit and delivering a clear sound; I was particularly impressed with Buck's clean lead guitar work. I saw at least a few folks inquire about purchasing the group's CD's.

Hopefully I'll get to catch a full night of this group sometime later on so I can get a fuller scope of what they're all about. But at least based on what I saw and heard this night, Dollarz-n-Sense is a group worth checking out.

Dollarz-n-Sense, making their 30 Something debut.

Buck Parsley of Dollarz-n-Sense.

Buck Parsley and Aaron Gindlesperger of Dollarz-n-Sense.

Aaron Gindlesperger of Dollarz-n-Sense.

Again, Dollarz-n-Sense.

Again, Aaron Gindlesperger of Dollarz-n-Sense.

Again, Buck Parsley of Dollarz-n-Sense.

Ron Watt of Dollarz-n-Sense.

Once again, Dollarz-n-Sense.

Once again, Buck Parsley of Dollarz-n-Sense.

One more time, Dollarz-n-Sense.

GREEN EGGS @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 12/30/07

It was the next to the last night of the year, New Year's Eve eve if you will. Would the party masses be out this night to see Green Eggs at Pellegrine's, or would they be conserving their pennies and party energies for the next night?

I knew I would be there. This was finally my first opportunity to see Green Eggs since former guitarist Steve Nelson exited the band, and former Stept On/In guitarist Matt Day replaced him. On paper it sounded like an excellent fit; now I would get to see if it was an excellent fit on stage.

I got there early in Green Eggs’ second set, arriving to discover a packed house of holiday season celebrants on hand to meet up with friends and party down. It was a typical adrenaline-rush Green Eggs party, as the group performed a nearly nonstop selection of hits and favorites from past to present. This set featured tunes from Panic at the Disco, Fallout Boy, Queen, White Stripes, Green Day, Maroon 5, an 80’s medley featuring tunes from Bon Jovi, Guns N’Roses and AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more. Matt sang the lead vocal on Maroon 5’s “Harder to Breathe,” and Brian Nicarry showed again that he can hit the high notes on Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back.”

During the intermission, I noted that members of several other bands were representing this night, including contingents from the Giants Of Science and Bad Daze organizations. A festive, good-time mood prevailed in the house this night.

Green Eggs’ nightcap set kept the music constant and uptempo, as they kept Pelly’s dance floor filled with favorites from Buckcherry, Bryan Adams, Buggles, Rick Springfield, Tom Petty, Beastie Boys, Journey and more. One highlight of this set was Matt singing and utilizing guitar talkbox on Bon Jovi’s “Living on a Prayer,” which transitioned into Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It” with Brian singing lead. At night’s end, the Pelly’s crowd wanted the party to continue, so Green Eggs gave them one more, Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name.”

Matt fit in very well in the Green Eggs roster, meshing well alongside Brian on vocals and keys, singer/bassist Brad Nicarry and drummer Doug Black. Matt contributed his guitar edge and bolstered the group's vocal capabilities and backing harmonies. Green Eggs again delivered the steady high-octane party, as they managed to weave a diverse range of song favorites into a cohesive, flowing, uptempo groove that kept Pellegrine's dance floor tightly packed throughout the night.

It was a good time, and just the proper tune up for the New Year’s Eve festivities 24 hours later.

The newest member of Green Eggs, Matt Day.

Brad Nicarry and Matt Day of Green Eggs.

Again, Matt Day of Green Eggs.

Matt Day and Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

A common sight: Brian and Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs in front of a packed dance floor at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Brian and Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Again, Green Eggs.

Green Eggs’ New Year’s Eve’s eve party continues.

Brian Nicarry welcomes an unidentified singer to the stage.

Again, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Again, Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Once again, Green Eggs.

Brad Nicarry greets a visitor onstage, while Brian Nicarry plays the keys.

Taking his turn behind the Green Eggs keyboard, Brad Nicarry.

One more time, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

JP's HAIKU

Giants Of Science
4D’s yuletide night party
“Likes-to-Fight-Guy” quashed

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1