· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/14/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/14/08

BLUEGRASS JAM @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/9/08

Once again, the tempting combination of barbecue ribs and bluegrass was too much to resist, and I again headed to the Hitching Post for both on Wednesday “Country Night.”

It was the monthly John Stevens-organized bluegrass jam hoedown, and this month’s installment was a good time, with a number of grassin’ musicians in the house! Johnny himself from both the Mama Corn and Mt. City Grass organizations, Mt. City Grass first couple Denny and Katie Cerully, John’s fellow Corn-y bandmates Jeremy Nelson and Bruce Foor, Pat McGinnis from Broken Pony, and Dwane Edmiston were all eager participants in the evening’s rural sounds.

This night’s repertoire featured many familiar bluegrass, folk and country numbers, including traditional favorites such as “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” “Blue Ridge Mountain Home,” “Dark Hollow,” “Roll in My Sweet Baby’s Arms,” “Blue Moon of Kentucky,” “Workin’ on a Building,” “Wagon Wheels,” “Hot Corn Cold Corn” and more. There were a number of highlights; including Pat, Jeremy and Bruce combining for three-part harmonies on a tune I believe called “Cry of the Wind;” Dwane, John, Pat and Bruce teaming up on the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil;” the Pat-fronted John Prine double-shot of “That’s the Way That the World Goes Round” and “Please Don’t Bury Me;” and Bruce, Jeremy and John performing “Catfish John.” As is usually the case, I heard a few ‘new’ numbers I had not heard before, such as the Bruce-sung rendition of Karl Davis’ “Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail,” the John-sung treatment of Lester Flatt’s “Bluebirds Are Singin’ for Me,” and Jerry Irby’s “Drivin’ Nails in My Coffin.”

The performances were fun and laid-back, again as musicians matched musical wits with one another as they picked and grinned on common song material. A good-sized Hitching Post audience enjoyed the proceedings. And again, I found myself learning a little more about bluegrass and traditional sounds.

More bluegrass jamming fun at the Hitching Post.

Pickin’ and grinnin’ at the Post.

BIG JIM & BAD DAZE ROB @ THE PETERSBURG TAVERN, PETERSBURG 1/9/08

After the bluegrass jam ended, I hit the road to Huntingdon County, to catch my first look at the new acoustic pairing of Bad Daze frontman Rob Carolus and former Red Arrow bassist “Big Jim” Ricotta. Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob were performing at the Petersburg Tavern.

I thought I would only get to see this band’s third set, but found out shortly after arriving that the duo’s start time was pushed back from it’s earlier scheduled start. A small but frisky audience was in place, and they were ready to party down as the duo began their second set.

The two musicians proceeded to keep the audience of locals happy with a wide repertoire of song material over the two remaining sets; spanning rock, pop, folk, blues and country favorites from the 70's to present. During the second set, the pair did songs from CCR, Counting Crows, Guns N’Roses, Eric Clapton, Bon Jovi, Georgia Satellites, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Poison, Dobie Gray and more. Highlights included a belated Christmas song, the Eagles’ “Please Come Home for Christmas,” and dancers hitting the floor in front of the two musicians during renditions of the Counting Crows’ “Mr. Jones” and Georgia Sattelites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself.”

After a brief intermission, Jim and Rob returned to deliver more tunes, first leading the audience in a singalong version of Don McLean’s “American Pie,” followed by numbers by Garth Brooks, the Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jimmy Buffett, John Lennon, Pearl Jam, Bad Company and more. The pair surprised me by breaking out a rendition of Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” as well as the Jim-sung version of Cat Stevens’ “Wild World.” The pair also honored a number of audience requests during this set, including Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven,” the Eagles’ “Desperado,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird” (yes, some groups actually perform “Free Bird” when folks call it out!) and Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” The Petersburg audience demanded one more song at the end of the set, and the duo responded with their unplugged take on the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party).”

Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob meshed quite well together. Big Jim's ability to smoothly shift gears throughout a wide catalog of songs and styles on his guitar set the backdrop for Rob's voice, which displays different range and versatility in this setting outside of his primary band. This duo was very audience-friendly, and kept a happy vibe going throughout their performance.

The Petersburg crowd was a friendly bunch as well, with one guy even bringing his dogs into the house. (Hey, at least they weren’t centipedes, per my last visit to this room last May). According to Bad Daze Shelly behind the bar, a horse has even graced the inside of this establishment in the past!

It was a fun finish to the night, and showed me that Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob is an acoustic duo very much worth checking out; get ready to kick back and have a good time!

Bringing excitement to Petersburg on a Wednesday night, Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob.

Going right to left, Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob.

It’s dance fever in Petersburg with Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob.

The party continues with Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 1/10/08

As long time Hurricaniacs and ‘Toona music fans will recall, Felix & the Hurricanes really started to build up their Altoona fan following in the 90’s when they started playing weekly Tuesday night performances at City Limits, a gig that lasted for several years and bridged the former Felix/John McKnight/Bill Nusom and current Felix/Jeff Clapper/Bob Watters editions of the group. The Tuesday gig eventually ran its course came to an end, and the Hurricanes started doing Thursdays at Peter C’s. Now, with Peter C’s gone and the ‘Canes bouncing between Shaw’s and the Iron Horse in Gallitzin on different Thursdays, the room formerly known as City Limits, 30 Something, has begun a new weekly Hurricanes gig on Thursdays. I was there for the official kickoff!

Although not a big turnout on the first Thursday night here, a few fans and hardcore Hurricaniacs were present as I arrived during the Hurricanes’ second set. Felix, Jeff and Bob had at least a few people dancing as they played their mix of original songs and classic rock and blues. The ‘Canes had ‘em dancing to their original tune “Walking a Straight Line,” followed by Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “House Is a Rockin’” and the Jeff-sung original tune “La La Land.” A few dancers continued to adorn the floor on Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me,” ZZ Top’s “Just Got Paid” and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy,” before the group slowed it down for the Beatles’ “Something,” with Felix and Jeff teaming up for some great-sounding vocal harmonies! The ‘Canes finished off the set with Al Green’s “Take Me to the River” into Iron Butterfly’s “Innagaddavida,” featuring Bob doing a drum solo.

The Hurricanes did an abbreviated final set to close the night, performing the original songs “On the Bottom Again” and “Hurtin’ People,” plus versions of Blackfoot’s “highway Song” and Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven” to cap the night.

The Hurricanes sounded good as always, and didn’t let the lack of crowd bother them; as they delivered on all cylinders for the peeps who were there to see them.

It was just the first Thursday night at this new location, so it would take a few weeks for word to get out that the Hurricanes were back to Thursday nights in a new room. You just knew that slow nights like this one weren’t going to last long…

INSIDE OUT @ CAPTAIN’S CASTLE, EBENSBURG 1/11/08

I had been looking for an opportunity to christen the newly-reopened Castle Pub in Ebensburg. With Johnstown rock force Inside Out making their return to the Castle and weather conditions favorable for out of town travel, I headed up the hill to usher in the new era of live music at the Castle.

I arrived during the first intermission of the night, and a healthy-sized contingent was in attendance. Singer/guitarist Tim Frick, guitarist Kolt Green, bassist Larry "Larz" Phillip and drummer Mark Gindlesperger soon started back into the music; launching their second set with Nine Inch Nails’ “Head Like a Hole.” The group proceeded to mix 90’s, current rocking favorites and original songs; this set doing numbers from Alice In Chains, Buckcherry, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Rage, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack and more. They also broke out one original song, “Giving Myself Away.” The Castle Pub crowd was fired up, with a good-sized contingent of folks in front of the stage to cheer and groove along.

Inside Out’s nightcap set kicked off with White Zombie’s “Thunder Kiss’ ’65,” and featured tunes from Filter, Disturbed, Ozzy Osbourne, Drowning Pool, Static X, AC/DC and more; as well as original songs such as “Taking My Life” and “Demons.” Inside Out answered crowd demands for an encore with a Three Days Grace tune to close the night.

With new guitarist Kolt now fully acclimated into the fold, Inside Out cranked on all cylinders and kept the energy and excitement levels at a steady high throughout the show. These guys were on the attack from the get-go, and it’s clear that the confidence and swagger are back! The original songs all sounded strong, and Tim assured me that the group’s LONG-awaited third CD will see the light of day this year; because, according to Tim, Inside Out doesn’t want to become known as the ‘Boston’ of the area music scene, taking multiple years between albums.

It's good to see Inside Out rocking with renewed vigor and purpose, and The Castle Pub again providing a stage for them to do it on. Hopefully I’ll be catching more of both in the months ahead.

Inside Out’s lone remaining founding member, Tim Frick.

Mark Gindlesperger of Inside Out.

Kolt Green of Inside Out.

Inside Out rocks down the Castle Pub.

Larry “Larz” Phillip of Inside Out.

Again, “Larz” of Inside Out.

Again, Mark Gindlesperger of Inside Out.

Again, Kolt Green of Inside Out.

Once again, Kolt of Inside Out.

Again, Inside Out.

More Kolt from Inside Out.

One more time, Inside Out.

“Take our picture!” Okay!

THE CHI @ DIVELY’S TAVERN, JOHNSTOWN 1/12/08

With weather conditions again surprisingly cooperative for a Saturday night in mid January, I took advantage and did the roadtrip over the mountain to Dively’s Tavern in Johnstown, to catch my first look at The Chi.

As I entered Dively’s, I heard the group doing a version of Eric Burdon & War’s “Spill the Wine;” the first time I had ever heard a local band cover this classic! I already realized I was in for an interesting evening! The group then brought this set to a close with an extended jamming rendition of Gary Wright’s “Love Is Alive”…Wow!

I already knew the cast of characters that comprised The Chi…local guitarist extraordinaire and musical adventurer John Charney on guitar and vocals, charismatic and cosmic singer/drummer Dave Distefano, and former Grinning Mob bassist Brad Rhea. I learned during the intermission that carpal tunnel issues were rendering Dave without use of his left arm. With "one arm and a multitude of heart" according to John, Dave sang and played drums the entire night using just his right arm!

Dave quickly established that he wasn’t going to surrender to his affliction this night, kicking off The Chi’s second set with a one-handed drum solo, before he sang lead on The Black Crowes’ “Remedy.” Guest Denny Owens then joined the group onstage to contribute some hot harmonica to the John-sung version of Jimi Hendrix’s “Redhouse.” Denny remained to provide more harp to Dave and The Chi’s unique rendering of Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades,” where Dave nearly impaled John when a drumstick cut loose during the fury of the song. This was followed by War’s “Me and Baby Brother” and the Rolling Stones’ “Can’t You Hear Me Knockin.’” Citing Dave’s plight, John then dedicated the next song to a more famous band with a one-armed drummer, doing Def Leppard’s “Rock of Ages.” Brad then took a turn at the lead mic, fronting The Chi on “Iko Iko.” The following rendition of Redbone’s “Come and Get Your Love” drew some dancers on the small Dively’s dance floor; and those dancers remained for the Stones’ “Gimme Shelter” and the Kinks’ “Destroyer.” The Chi then took a wild Pink Floyd ride with the double-shot of “Breathe” and “Time,” bridged by a spacey guitar effect interlude. Welcoming Denny back up to the stage, The Chi then finished the night with “Light the Fire, Get Down,” an original jam Dave and Grinning Mob did on the Rocksbury: Musicians for Kids CD a few years ago.

What a wild ride! I was impressed enough just by The Chi’s varied and eclectic setlist and their overall musicianship, but observing Dave’s one-armed feat took this show above and beyond the norm! The atmosphere was charged, with the Dively's crowd cheering the spirited performances and Dave's exploits. This night wasn't just a show, it was an adventure!

The Chi, with Denny Owens helping out on harmonica.

John Charney of The Chi.

Again, The Chi with Denny Owens.

The Chi’s one-armed drummer and singer this night, Dave Distefano.

Again, The Chi.

Once again with Denny Owens joining in on harp, The Chi.

One more time, The Chi.

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 1/13/08

Rise Phoenix Rise was back at Pellegrine’s to close out another weekend, and when I arrived to catch their third set, I again witnessed this band as their conquest of Altoona stages continued.

Lead singer Gibson, guitarists Chris Bishop and Jarrod Griffith, bassist Ronnie Williams and drummer Rob Hampton quickly refilled Pelly’s dance floor as they commenced their third set with Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell.” The group kept the party rocking with favorites from Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Eddie Money, Jimmy Eats World, Neil Diamond and Guns N’Roses. The group also did an 80’s medley featuring tunes from Soft Cell, The Knack, Devo, Outfield and The Cars; and a disco/funk medley with tunes from K.C. & the Sunshine Band, Commodores, Wild Cherry and the Village People. Along the way, the group celebrated guitarist Jarrod’s birthday. The Pelly’s crowd was again fired up, and ladies soon were dancing alongside the band onstage.

Rise Phoenix Rise is becoming a busy band. Recently signed to perform at MTV’s Spring Break in Panama City Beach, Florida; Rise Phoenix Rise was kicking off a tour of FYE stores to support the recent release of their first CD, The Land of Oohs and Aahs. This night at Pellegrine’s showed clear reason why this band is getting busier, as they again delivered the party, and kept the dance floor filled.

Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Chris Bishop of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Chris Bishop of Rise Phoenix Rise.

JP’s HAIKU

The Chi at Dively’s
Dave D the one-armed drummer
Played the entire night!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1