· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 9/8/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Oct 31, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 9/8/03

ACID REFLUX @ LOMBARDO’S PUB, ALTOONA 9/4/03

After an evening of hardcore Pennsylvania Musician paperboy duty running deliveries along most of my Altoona area route, I decided to take a breather by stopping off at Lombardo’s Pub to check in with Acid Reflux.

A few fans were in the house as I arrived and procured my first brew from Lombardo’s main lady Michelle. Acid Reflux – singer/guitarist Dwane Edmiston, bassist/singer Matt Burns and percussionist Lynn Endress – was in the midst of a version of Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “Blue On Black.” Bass man Matt then took over lead mic for Santana/Fleetwood Mac’s “Black Magic Woman,” before the group returned to a more recent song, Dishwalla’s “Counting Blue Cars.” It was then time for a commercial break, and Acid Reflux proceeded to perform the Bud Light Real Men of Genius “Chinese Food Delivery Guy” jingle, bringing chuckles from the onlookers. Guest Christa Cherry then stepped in and sang lead on Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain.” The group continued with Soundgarden’s “Fell on Black Days,” dubbing that part of their performance ‘Soundgarden: The Final Frontier.’ Next they broke out some Pink Floyd, doing “Pigs (3 of them),” with Dwane demonstrating his talent for making various animal noises. Versions of Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Ohio” and Jane’s Addiction’s “Jane Says” sent Acid Reflux to intermission.

As expected, Acid Reflux’s show was good-natured, unplugged rock’n’roll fun; mixed with talented chops and musicianship. Dwane’s unique guitar style, Matt’s busy basswork and Lynn’s ever-present conga beats blended to give each song they tackled the group’s own voice and edge. The trio kept the mood of the show relaxed and lighthearted, never taking themselves too seriously.

Soon, the action onstage resumed with a take on Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love,” followed by more Pink Floyd and “Another Brick In The Wall.” The trio then shifted into a more recent vein with a rendition of Incubus’ “Drive,” and broke out an original tune (the title which I missed). After versions of the Allmans’ “Midnight Rider” and Dylan/Hendrix’s “All Along the Watchtower,” another word from Acid Reflux’s unofficial ‘sponsors,’ as the trio performed another Bud Light Real Men of Genius commercial, this time the “Underwear Inspector” chapter. The group continued with Puddle of Mudd’s “Blurry,” a song by folk singer John Prine and Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m On Fire.”

At this point, with several stops left on my Pennsylvania Musician delivery route, I left Lombardo’s; content that Acid Reflux had the evening – and audience – firmly in hand.

Acid Reflux, helping folks at Lombardo’s get an early start to the weekend.

With guest Christa Cherry helping out on voice, Acid Reflux.

WISKERBISKET @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 9/5/03

Day job duties forced a late start to my Friday night, but I eventually made it over to Peter C’s to check in with Lewistown rockers Wiskerbisket.

Peter C’s wasn’t particularly busy as I arrived this night, with just a few regulars and music fans scattered throughout the venue. Wiskerbisket was taking it in stride, having fun onstage with the folks who were in attendance. The group – these days guitarists/singers Dan Snook and John Everly, bassist Troy Neff and drummer Harry Bleyer – were in the midst of Stone Temple Pilots’ “Crackerman” as I arrived. In their trademark unpredictable fashion, Wiskerbisket then launched into a freewheeling funk/hip-hop jam, with former Broken Neck keyboard/sample man Peen soon chiming in with some rhymes. The group continued to mix it up, kicking into Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock’n’Roll,” a metallic version of the ever-popular country/bluegrass stomp “Rocky Top,” Weezer’s “Hashpipe,” Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music,” The Kinks’ “You Really Got Me” and several other tunes, eventually culminating in the group’s best-known original song to date, the heavy-rocking “Skank.”

Although previous frontman Doug Weaver had just left the band and John Everly only recently joined, Wiskerbisket still managed to deliver a wild, unpredictable, fun show. John and Doug Snook swapped lead vocal duties and were constantly moving about the room, standing atop chairs and rallying what fans there were into the show. Troy and Harry kept the rhythms busy and hard-hitting, and provided a straight ‘foil’ to counterpoint Doug’s and John’s comic antics. It worked with this small audience this night, as more people hooted and hollered as the show proceeded along.

After an intermission, Wiskerbisket played a three-song mini-set to end the night, doing Puddle of Mudd’s “She Hates Me,” Dead Or Alive’s “You Spin Me (Like a Record)” and the Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated.”

Given the circumstances of adapting to a revised roster and a lightly-populated room, Wiskerbisket did a respectable job at Peter C’s, winning this night in the trenches by entertaining the people who were in the house and giving them their cover charge’s worth.

Wiskerbisket, cranking out the rock at Peter C’s.

Doug Snook of Wiskerbisket.

Harry Bleyer of Wiskerbisket. (Dig that shirt – excellent!)

Doug Snook and John Everly of Wiskerbisket.

Troy Neff of Wiskerbisket.

Rallying the small Peter C’s crowd to clap along, Wiskerbisket.

STEPT ON @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/6/03

After spending most of this Saturday finishing up my monthly paperboy duties form Pennsylvania Musician, I was tired and not up for a roadtrip this night; I instead stuck close to home, taking in Stept On at City Limits.

It was a fairly routine night in all. I caught the last half of Stept On’s second set and all of their third, as the group mixed original songs with hard-hitting nu-metal favorites from System of a Down, Tool, Korn, Disturbed and more. Their new original songs sounded impressive, displaying some variety but ultimately retaining the hard edge established on their “Lonely” CD. Of the new songs, the only title I caught this night was “Payback.” I also witnessed the group doing good work on “Day After Day” and the torrid “Voices In My Head” from the “Lonely” CD.

While not a record-setting attendance, this night still saw a respectable-sized crowd, and a relatively well-behaved one as well. And Stept On achieved the objective with this audience, soundly rocking them and leaving them satisfied at night’s end. For a routine Saturday night such as this, that is ultimately the bottom line any band should strive for.

Chuck Budzina of Stept On.

Matt Day of Stept On.

Josh Hetrick of Stept On.

Art Armani of Stept On.

Again, Chuck Budzina of Stept On.

Once again, Art Armani of Stept On.

TIM KELLY’S SUMMER JAM III, ALTOONA 9/7/03

I usually don’t write about private parties or picnics, but this one is an exception. For the third straight year, local bassman Tim Kelly (formerly of Backdraft, now with the Trace Moran Band) hosted a backyard picnic at his Altoona area abode. Tim always invites a cast of veteran area musicians to come out, bring families and instruments, and plug in and jam. This picnic last year saw the members of legendary Altoona rockers The Front perform together for the first time in nine years, sowing the seeds for The Front’s successful reunion benefit concert this past April. I was back to check out this year’s picnic, and see who would show up to perform.

A large contingent of musicians attended this year, with various members of Issues, The Front, Square One, Beyond Reason, Past Curfew, Madhatter, the Mannish Boys, the Trace Moran Band, Outta Control, Flight 19, Choco Sam and more all in the backyard and representing.

While most of the afternoon featured any and all combinations of these musicians, jamming together on a wide variety of classics, a few entire bands did perform mini-sets; including Issues, Mannish Boys, Past Curfew and the Trace Moran Band. Issues – singer Clorise, local guitar legend John McKelvey, and the former Cut The Mustard rhythm section of bassist Bob “Zorbo” Slovikosky and drummer Skip Fisher – played a mini-set of classic-geared original songs. The reunited Mannish Boys played 60’s and 70’s classics. A new young band, Past Curfew, played a few current favorites from Blink 182, plus a few original songs.

And then there was one of the more anticipated events of the afternoon, a preview of the forthcoming Trace Moran Band. Singer Trace Baker (known as Trace Moran during her former touring days on the left coast), guitarist Randy Rutherford, bassist/picnic host Tim Kelly, keyboardist Harold Hayford and drummer Chris Baker introduced the backyard audience to their brand of tasty funk, blues and rock. As expected, given the individuals involved, the musicianship was top notch and stunning, with tasty and colorful licks a plenty. And frontlady Trace, after warming up throughout the afternoon fronting several of the various musician jam combinations, let the voice fly with her fiery, soulful, powerful and high-flying pipes. For me, the show-stopper was the group’s rendition of Pink Floyd’s “Great Gig In The Sky” off “Dark Side of the Moon;” this version left the audience stunned and amazed! If this mini-set was an accurate preview, no doubt the Trace Moran Band will be definite must-see when they arrive on area stages soon! Incredible!

A humorous side note to this performance: As Tim Kelly’s backyard is situated next to a heavily-traveled highway in the Altoona area, and the backyard is right next to and downhill from the road; I got a laugh from seeing passers-by in their cars looking over to see where the music was coming from, especially when Trace Baker hit some of her powerful high notes. You could see drivers and passengers turning to look, but they would already be past the music by the time it registered that they were hearing music. “Where’s the music coming from!?”

During the course of this day, a few musicians vented an opinion that I myself had. The big event going on locally this weekend in the Altoona area was the first Altoona Mirror Keystone Country Fair (formerly Hoss’ Keystone Country Festival), happening at Lakemont Park. I have had a gripe with this event for several years, particularly because of the dull entertainment slate offered up in recent years. This event used to showcase local musical talent, with band showcases and battle-of-the-band type events, plus area favorites like the U.S. Sound Theatre, Queen Bee & the Blue Hornet Band, Dave & Paula and more. This year’s “entertainment” slate – what little of it that there was – included old-time gospel singing groups and country karaoke singers. Meanwhile, at this picnic, here was a large group of many of this area’s best-known musicians, playing to themselves in a backyard! For an event that is supposed to celebrate the local area, it’s a shame that the Keystone Country Fair organizers nowadays choose to totally ignore the area music scene when it comes to selecting entertainment for this showcase event. So while much of central PA flocked to the Keystone Country Fair to pay admission and look at a bunch of hucksters trying to sell stuff; I made my choice, and was glad to be sitting in this backyard and taking in entertainment from this group of veteran area musicians, who ultimately deserve to be playing on that Lakemont stage several miles away.

The jams continued until after sundown, and Tim Kelly’s third backyard summer jam drew to a close. It was a fun and relaxing afternoon that allowed lots of local musicians to get together and have fun with their instruments. No doubt I will be back for the fourth picnic next year!

Let the jamming begin! Dan Myers II (Beyond Reason), Don Osborn (Square One/Madhatter), Chris and Trace Baker and Tim Kelly (The Trace Moran Band) help kick off the afternoon’s music.

Dan Myers II and Trace Baker.

”The Godfather of Altoona Rock’n’Roll,” Chuck Knepper, partakes in the backyard jam.

Two Big Jim’s-a-jammin’…Jim “Big Jimi Cee” Colyer and “Big Jim” Ricotta (Outta Control).

Issues plays a mini-set during Summer Jam III.

Singer Clorise of Issues.

Bob “Zorbo” Slovikosky of Issues.

With guest Andrea Shope singing lead, the Mannish Boys perform at Summer Jam III.

Once again, the Mannish Boys.

The Trace Moran Band.

Trace Baker of the Trace Moran Band.

SOMETHING FLUID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/7/03

Following the afternoon of picnicking, I finished up my weekend at Pellegrine’s, where Something Fluid was serving up the weekend finale.

The obvious downer of the night was attendance. Pellegrine’s was relatively empty for a Sunday night; very unusual for a Something Fluid appearance. Still, frontlady Gretchen and her bandmates made the best of it and partied down with the folks who did show up.

The group fired through current/recent favorites from Linkin Park, Harvey Danger, Rage Against the Machine, Blur and others. They also tapped the 80’s for Don Henley’s (Ataris’) “Boys of Summer,” Dexy’s Midnight Runners’ “Come On Eileen;” and the double-shot of the Bangles’ “Walk Like an Egyptian” and Toni Basil’s “Mickey,” during which the group invited a bunch of ladies onstage. Out of this medley, the group kicked into Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer,” before taking their show to intermission with Metallica’s “Enter Sandman.”

It was another fun, caution-to-the-wind Something Fluid party. Gretchen worked the crowd, moving to and fro and addressing the gathered stagefront masses from all angles. Bassist Jerry and drummer Len held down the fort with sturdy rhythms, while guitarists Chris and C.J. spiced it up with tasty riffage and licks.

Intermission and a few more beers and Jagermeister shots later made for a more festive audience during Something Fluid’s last set of the night; what the audience lacked in numbers, they made up for in enthusiasm. Fans seemingly platooned on and off the stage as the band slammed forth party favorites from the Beastie Boys, Violent Femmes, Twisted Sister, the Chris-fronted take on Puddle of Mudd’s “She Hates Me,” Joan Jett, Lit, Rage Against the Machine and more. The set ended in hopping fashion with House of Pain’s “Jump Around. The stagefront audience demanded an encore, and Gretchen and Something Fluid responded with Wheatus’ “Teenage Dirtbag.”

The group didn’t lament the lack of bodies in the house this night. They instead concentrated on giving those who did attend a good time and doing what was necessary to entice them onto the dance floor. The result was an entertaining show, and by night’s end, a good dance floor party.

Gretchen of Something Fluid.

C.J. and Jerry of Something Fluid.

Letting it all out; Gretchen of Something Fluid.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: