· The Final Cut
SUPER BOWL WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 2/4/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 24, 2008 

SUPER BOWL WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 2/4/08

WARREN DANE @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/30/08

Another Wednesday night, another Wednesday “Country Night” at the Hitching Post. This week, it was the return of Warren Dane and Steve Yetzko.

Warren was under way as I arrived and discovered the Hitching Post’s kitchen closed early again; but enjoyed Warren’s performance of Gordon Lightfoot’s “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” as I adjusted my culinary expectations from the absence of Post ribs this night to the prospect of Pellegrine’s pizza later on. Warren continued with a rendition of Dave Loggins’ “Please Come to Boston” and two more songs, before finishing his set with Toby Keith’s “Should’ve Been a Cowboy.”

Warren’s friend and cohort, Steve Yetzko, then stepped up and performed a few songs; including John Denver’s “Back Home Again,” a Ry Cooder number and his acoustic rendering of “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”

Warren then rejoined Steve, and the two continued their performance like two friends holding an informal campfire strum-along. The pair did versions of “Wagon Wheels,” George Jones’ “He Stopped Loving Her Today” and David Frizzell’s “I’m Gonna Hire a Wino to Decorate Our Home;” before Warren continued with his hilarious “octogenarian” take on Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire,” which continued into another Man in Black classic, “A Boy Named Sue.” Warren and Steve then crooned Steve’s original song, “Sister Mabel,” and kept the party going with tunes from John Denver, John Mellencamp, Rodney Carrington, a country twist on Pink Floyd’s “Mother” and more. These two kept it casual and fun, with Warren explaining, “Yetzko is with me all night…Yeah, because he’s my ride home!”

After a few more songs, hunger pangs got the better of me, and I departed the Post to grab my evening pizza meal on the other side of the hill. But Warren Dane and Steve Yetzko again delivered the happy-go-lucky good time, and probably again kept the party going way beyond the time of my departure.

Several ladies cheer on Warren Dane’s performance.

Again, Warren Dane and his Hitching Post fan club.

Warren Dane and Steve Yetzko.

Again, Warren Dane and Steve Yetzko.

Hitching Post main man Butch and his mom take part in the fun.

Again, Warren Dane, Steve Yetzko, Butch and his mom.

SHOTS McGEE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 1/30/08

After doing my pizza supper break at Pellegrine’s, I headed to the nearby 4D’s Lounge to check in with Shots McGee, performing in the upstairs Schnappes Shoppe.

A good-sized crowd was already gathered in the Schnappes Shoppe as I made my arrival just after midnight. Shots McGee had a good party going as they performed renditions of the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin,’” Deep Blue Something’s “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” the Beatles’ “Twist and Shout” and the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle” to finish their set.

The crowd remained during the 22-minute intermission, primed to party some more. Soon the Shots McGee roster of singers/guitarists Rhyne McCormick and Brendon Burns, bassist/singer Kelly Montgomery and drummer Randy Servello fired up the music again with the Rhyne-fronted version of Van Morrison’s “Wild Night,” followed by Brendon singing James’ “Laid,” and versions of Queen’s “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” and John Mellencamp’s “Authority Song,” before the group did a ska-flavored take on Eric Clapton’s “Lay Down Sally.” Guest singer Jason stepped to the microphone to sing Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire,” before bassman Kelly fronted the group on Jimi Hendrix’s “Foxey Lady.” The stagefront floor crowded with dancers as Shots McGee did Sublime’s “What I Got,” with Brendon singing lead and guest Eric Wertz playing bass. After Violent Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun,” drummer Randy sang the lead on Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition,” before Shots McGee closed out the party with another Van Morrison number, “Brown Eyed Girl.”

With the crowd in festive spirits and crowding the floor in front of the stage, this turned into a happy little slobberknocker of a party, and a successful means to alleviate the doldrums of a typical Humpday.

Randy Servello of Shots McGee.

Rhyne McCormick of Shots McGee.

Shots McGee, again bringing the party to the 4D’s Schnappes Shoppe.

Several ladies bump and grind alongside Rhyne McCormick and Shots McGee.

Again, Randy Servello of Shots McGee.

LOSE THE NAME/MIDDLE CLASS TRASH/THE AVANTGARDE/TEENAGE REHAB @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 2/1/08

Aldo’s was my destination this Friday night, for a four-band punk rocking bill featuring two local entries, Lose The Name and The AvantGarde, and two Kentucky entries, Middle Class Trash and Teenage Rehab.

There was a question mark over whether the Kentucky contingents would be able to attend, as a winter storm was pounding their part of the world during the day on Friday, and the wintry weather was channeling in to the Altoona area this night. But as I braved the elements and arrived to Aldo’s this night, I discovered that all the scheduled bands were present and accounted for, and that I had already missed one of them, Lose The Name.

Middle Class Trash was on the stage. From Paducah, Kentucky, this group was in the midst of their set of bristling, old-school 80’s-brand punk rock. Guitarist Mike Mishap, drummer Jon and bassist Sam were drilling out high-velocity rhythmic carnage, providing the launching pad for frontman Adam Trash’s agitated screaming howls. I didn’t catch any of the group’s song titles, but Middle Class Trash played it all with consistent fire and intensity; and while not crowded, the assembled Aldo’s audience in front of the stage was enjoying their efforts.

After a changeover intermission, The AvantGarde took the stage. These guys again impressed me with their high-velocity yet tuneful brand of punk rock. Singer/guitarist John Brehm, guitarist Rob Gray, bassist Ben Rider and drummer Adam Smith fired off original numbers such as “Mama’s “Right,” “Night Terror,” “Blue Collar Disco,” “Demoneyes,” “Obsolete” and more. The AvantGarde’s delivery was agitated and jagged, yet the group’s song hooks and vocal harmonies were catchy and hooked you in. Again, these guys delivered a strong set.

The AvantGarde.

John Brehm of the AvantGarde.

Ben Rider of the AvantGarde.

Adam Smith of the AvantGarde.

One more band remained, Louisville, Kentucky’s Teenage Rehab. Like Middle Class Trash before them, Teenage Rehab’s style was feral, agitated, more hardcore-laced old-school punk. Guitarist/singer Danny Rehab, basasist Thomas Habit, and drummer Alex Reject fired off several original numbers and an obscure Ramones number. Teenage Rehab’s presentation was bristling and jagged, but these guys never took themselves too seriously, and had fun with each other and the audience members who were remaining at this point.

Closing out the night, Louisville, Kentucky’s Teenage Rehab.

Again, Teenage Rehab.

Danny Rehab of Teenage Rehab.

Danny Rehab and Thomas Habit of Teenage Rehab.

Alex Reject of Teenage Rehab.

The wintry weather probably stunted the crowd somewhat, but overall, this was a good time, a feisty punk-rocking get-together featuring two rising local names and two touring out-of-state bands.

GOODY @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 2/2/08

My initial game plan this night was to do a rare live music tripleheader. My first destination was Family Pizza & Pub, to get my first look in a LONG time at White Shadow. Unfortunately, it will be a little while longer before I’ll get to see White Shadow, as I was greeted by a totally-packed-to-capacity parking lot; even after three trips around the block hoping for a space to open up! And since I had hoped to grab some supper inside Family Pizza, I abandoned my plans to go there, figuring if the lot was this jam-packed, there sure wouldn’t be any seating inside the venue! So it was on to destination number two…

I had been informed earlier in the week that former Til December singer Matt “Goody” Goodreau had booked a return visit to the area to perform acoustic at the Hitching Post, so I headed there next. Although I anticipated that Goody’s first trip back to Altoona as a solo artist might generate quite the crowd, I was a little surprised to find the Hitching Post only partially full as I arrived just before the start of Goody’s performance.

Accompanied by a second acoustic guitarist (I think his name was Neil), Goody soon started his first set, singing and strumming on REO Speedwagon’s “Take It on the Run.” I quickly realized that the audience was likely not going to hear “Seatbelt,” “Party in the Parking Lot” or “Hockey Helmet” this night! Goody and Neil continued with a varied mixture of favorites, from names like Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Outfield, Creed, the Police, Sublime, Kenny Loggins, George Michael and more. Goody introduced at least one new original song during this set, and also resurrected a tune from his previous band, “Stages.”

The acoustic setting allowed Goody to flex his vocal cords into some places he couldn’t visit very often with Til December. He demonstrated some good vocal range and clarity, as well as a less boisterous and bold persona than his full band past.

The Hitching Post steadily became busier as the night progressed, and soon nearly every seat in the house had been filled as Goody began his second set. This set began with the Steve Miller Band’s “Rock N’ Me,” and continued with more favorites from Bryan Adams, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more. Goody introduced at least one more new original song, and also used an Alice In Chains “No Excuses”–like arrangement to fuse together Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer” and Prince’s “When Doves Cry.” This portion of the show inspired two frisky ladies to get up and dance and enjoy each other on the stagefront dance floor – just like the old Backstreet Law/Til December days!

With the Hitching Post becoming more packed, and another destination left to visit in my attempted tripleheader, I departed the premises late during Goody’s second set, assured that he and Neil had this party well in hand.

Matt “Goody” Goodreau and accomplice Neil, bringing their acoustic show to the Hitching Post.

Again, Goody and Neil.

SPLINK! @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 2/2/08

My final destination of the night was 30 Something, to catch the latter stages of Splink!’s first visit to this venue.

I arrived just before the start of Splink!’s third set, and a festive mid-sized crowd was in place and ready to party down again. Soon the band was, and it didn’t take long for singer Ashley Bee, kilted guitarist Jimi Hatt, The BMC on sax and keys, London Joe on bass and MoJo Smouse on drums to bring some folks onto the dance floor as they did tunes from Blondie, Wild Cherry, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Kelly Clarkson, Gloria Gaynor, Bryan Adams and the B-52’s. The dance floor celebrants didn’t want the party to end, and beckoned Splink! to do one more. The group answered with Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.”

What I witnessed from Splink! was a bright and cheery party. Ashley again displayed some good high-ranging voice, and she and the band kept the energy level constant and the mood fun. It was a solid first night for Splink! at 30 Something, and bode well for their future on this stage.

Ashley Bee of Splink!

Splink! brings the party to 30 Something.

The BMC of Splink!

Again, Splink!

Again, Ashley Bee of Splink!

More Splinkin’ at 30 Something!

The BMC and Ashley Bee of Splink! sing “Love Shack.”

London Joe of Splink!

Jimi Hatt of Splink!

MoJo Smouse of Splink!

Again, The BMC and Ashley Bee of Splink!

More Splink!

Again, Jimi Hatt of Splink!

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ FYE, LOGAN VALLEY MALL, ALTOONA 2/3/08

Super Bowl Sunday had arrived, and while the rest of humanity was seemingly out and about buying in last-minute supplies for the parties surrounding the big game, I headed to the Logan Valley Mall FYE location to check in the first part of a Rise Phoenix Rise doubleheader this day.

Rise Phoenix Rise was doing an in-store performance tour of FYE locations throughout the East Coast, in support of their recently-issued debut CD, The Land of Oohs and Aahs. I arrived shortly into the group’s performance, and browsed through CD shelves as singer Gibson, Chris Bishop, Jarrod Griffith and Ronnie Williams on acoustic guitars, and Rob Hampton on hand drum performed songs from the CD such as “Boxing Josh,” “Kenny Says Ho,” “Find,” “Walk Away” and more. The group’s vocal harmonies rang out clearer in this acoustic setting, and this performance offered a rare glimpse of Rise Phoenix Rise’s song material in an unplugged setting.

A few passing customers stopped to watch the performance and applaud the group. Afterward, the band members headed to the merch table to greet fans and sign autographs.

Rise Phoenix Rise, performing unplugged at the Logan Valley Mall FYE.

Greeting fans and signing autographs afterwards, Rise Phoenix Rise.

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 2/3/08

Although I really could have cared less who won the Super Bowl matchup between New England and the New York Giants, the “Backyard Rocker” Super Bowl Widow’s Special was memorexed, and I thus headed to a local taverna to take in the game and festivities with friends. I didn’t travel far, heading to 30 Something to watch the game on Claudio’s new wide-screen plazma televisions. The halftime food spread, featuring shrimp, tacos and other goodies, was great, and rooting for the underdog as I usually do, I was satisfied when Eli Manning and the Giants took the lead late and ruined the Patriots’ perfect ending to their perfect season.

Following the game, I headed up Pleasant Valley Boulevard to Pellegrine’s, where the staff was cleaning up after their own Super Bowl party. Soon more folks would be arriving for the live music this night, courtesy of the group I saw earlier this afternoon at FYE, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Although many football fans had cleared the house following the game, a stream of music and party fans started arriving as the band started their performance, and soon a good-sized crowd was on hand to finish their Super Bowl weekend on a rocking note.

Rise Phoenix Rise blended original songs, current and classic rocking favorites over the course of their three sets. Their first set included tunes from Bryan Adams, Gin Blossoms, Weezer, Tom Petty, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eddie Money and several current hits, along with their regional radio hit “Walk Away” off their The Land of Oohs and Aahs CD. Rise Phoenix Rise soon had some folks cutting the rug on Pellegrine’s dance floor.

The group’s second set kicked off with “She Likes Girls,” a song drummer Rob Hampton carried over from his previous band, the Poptart Monkeys. The group fired up the dance floor party again with tunes from the Beastie Boys, Kiss, Offspring, Rick Springfield, a 70’s/80’s new wave hit medley and more.

Their nightcap set featured tunes from Green Day, Nirvana, a rap/dance medley and more. I spent most of this set in rear portion of Pelly’s by the door, but noted that the dance floor remained busy during the instances when I caught glimpses of the stage. Rise Phoenix Rise again had the party well in hand, and the dance floor participants were clearly having a good time.

This crew was partying down with Rise Phoenix Rise.

Rie Phoenix Rise and some Pelly’s dance floor revelers.

Jarrod Griffith of Rise Phoenix Rise.

JP’s HAIKU

Warren and Yetzko
Kicking back and having fun
Back porch styled hoedown

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner