· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 2/11/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Apr 25, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 2/11/08

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 2/7/08

After spending a late night at the workplace, I headed to 30 Something to catch some Thursday night Hurricaning.

Word is clearly spreading that the Hurricanes are now playing 30 Something on Thursdays. This was the largest crowd I saw so far in this Thursday stint; not packed, but definitely busier than the last Thursday show I caught here a few weeks earlier. And as the Hurricanes soon took the stage to launch their nightcap set, they provided this audience with all the more reason to tell their friends to show up on future Thursdays!

The Hurricanes started their final set with Dr. Hook’s “Cover of the Rolling Stone,” before welcoming guest ‘Uncle Bud’ to the stage to help with backing vocals on “Stormy Monday.” Dancers quickly populated the 30 Something dance floor for James Cotton’s “Teeny Weeny Bit,” followed by Blackfoot’s “Train Train,” Ted Nugent’s “Free for All,” and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Tightrope.” The finale was the ‘Canes rendition of Terrible Ted’s “Stranglehold,” with lead ‘Cane Felix Kos laying it thick on the slide guitar effects to send the night home to a psychedelic end.

It was again another example of fired-up crowd firing up the Hurricanes even more, and propelling the evening to the stratosphere in the latter stages. It was prime Felix-in’ on a Thursday night at its best!

The Hurricanes, lighting it up on stage at 30 Something.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

The lead ‘Cane, Felix Kos.

THE SYRINS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 2/8/08

Workplace duties again kept me occupied until nearly midnight. I only knew of two shows for sure happening in the Altoona vicinity this night, and it was too late for me to consider heading out of town for my live music fix. I didn’t know what was going on at the Hitching Post this night, so I figured I’d drive past and see what was listed on their marquee. When I saw that young classic rockers The Syrins were playing there, I parked the car and went in to see what was up.

The Syrins were finishing up their second set of the night, and closed the set with renditions of Eric Clapton’s “Cocaine” and John Fogerty’s “Old Man Down the Road.”

It had been a while since I had seen the entire original Syrins lineup performing together, as two band members parted ways from the group during the past year to attend school. But they were all together this night – singers/guitarists Tom Fronauer and Ryan Furry, bassist Mike Furry and drummer/singer Chris Conrad.

After a brief intermission, the Syrins soon started into their nightcap set, commencing with the Kinks’ “All Day and All of the Night.” Chris then introduced the group’s next song as a ‘new’ song, launching into the Rare Earth rendition of “I Just Wanna Celebrate” – again I was impressed, as this group excelled on rock that was older than any of them were! The classics continued with Bad Company’s “Can’t Get Enough,” the Beatles’ “Day Tripper,” Led Zeppelin’s “Dancing Days” and Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid;” before unveiling another surprise upon the unsuspecting Hitching Post audience – a rendition of the Blues Brothers’ “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love” from the movie! The Syrins followed with the Romantics’ “What I Like About You,” After The Fire’s “Der Kommissar,” Robert Palmer’s “Bad Case of Loving You,” and the Greg Kihn Band’s “Break-Up Song” to close the set. The mid-sized Hitching Post audience wanted to hear more, so the Syrins gladly honored the request with an encore performance of Steve Miller Band’s “Abracadabra” to end the night.

Again, I was flat-out impressed with these Syrins; again, these are young musicians barely into their 20’s, tackling a setlist mostly created before they were born and nailing each and every song! The group nailed the Beatle harmonies on “Day Tripper,” and replicated the tones and styles of many of the songs they were covering! This wasn’t lost on the appreciative Hitching Post crowd this night, as a few folks verified my same thoughts about how this youthful group was nailing these classics!

I’m glad I decided to drive past the Post and look at the marquee this night, as the Syrins once again made a believer out of me!

The Syrins, rocking the classics at the Hitching Post.

Chris Conrad of The Syrins.

Mike Furry of The Syrins.

Tom Fronauer of The Syrins.

Ryan Furry of The Syrins.

AS SUMMER DIES/DRAGON FIRE @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 2/9/08

Buffalo, New York’s As Summer Dies was in Altoona this weekend to perform both Friday and Saturday night at Aldo’s. I had planned to take in the Saturday show, so I headed to Aldo’s to catch the double-bill with As Summer Dies and Dragon Fire, in a reunion of two bands who toured with Mushroomhead last year.

I arrived just before the start of As Summer Dies’ set, and a good crowd was already present at Aldo’s to take in the show. Five members strong, As Summer Dies demonstrated a sound that blended elements of metal, punk and goth; marked by the tortured vocal howl of lead singer/guitarist Adam, who sold his presentation with an expressive, intense style. Bassist Angel anchored the sound with booming bass lines, and provided vocal counterpoint to Adam. Rick provided the driving rhythms, while guitarist Jay and synthesizer man Rob painted and accented the group’s harsh musical terrain. As Summer Dies performed material from their full-length CD Sincerely, as well as earlier and newer material. I didn’t catch any of their song titles this night, but actually came away more intrigued by As Summer Dies’ performance this night than when they played at City Limits last year as an opener for the Mushroomhead show. I was actually won over by this performance enough that I purchased both their full-length CD and debut EP. This set gave me a better appreciation of what As Summer Dies brings to the stage; hopefully we’ll see them back this way again sometime.

Adam and Angel of As Summer Dies.

Again, Adam and Angel of As Summer Dies.

Going full-vent on voice, Adam of As Summer Dies.

As Summer Dies, rocking the crowd at Aldo’s.

Angel of As Summer Dies.

Rachel of The Underground TV Street Team busts some dance moves atop a speaker as Angel and As Summer Dies perform.

Again, As Summer Dies.

Again, Adam of As Summer Dies.

Once again, Angel of As Summer Dies.

Once again, Adam of As Summer Dies.

During the intermission, I noticed a number of other people buying As Summer Dies’ CD’s and other merch, as the band members mingled with fans and signed autographs at the merchandise table. Very cool!

After the intermission to change over gear, Dragon Fire finished the night with their unyielding brand of primal metal. Fueled by the occasion of drummer Steve Stuckey’s birthday, Dragon Fire confidently pounded out their brand of brutality, doing older song material and previewing new assaults from their long-awaited new album. Charismatic frontman “Robo” Ron Riley constantly worked the Aldo’s crowd into a frenzy as he snarled on familiar anthems like “Cutting Dead Weight,” “You Thought” and the newer “Unstoppable;” with Steve, bassist Eric Shumac and guitarist Chris Peters providing the volatile backdrop. Dragon Fire also performed newer material such as “Decorations on Darkened Days” and “No One,” and finished the night with their popular rendering of Green Jello’s “Three Little Pigs.”

“Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

Dragon Fire, bringing maximum metal to Aldo’s.

Eric Shumac of Dragon Fire.

Again, “Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

[color=cyanAgain, Eric Shumac of Dragon Fire.[/color]

Steve Stuckey of Dragon Fire.

Laying down the law, “Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

More “Robo” Ron.

Even more “Robo” Ron.

Again, Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

Again, Eric Shumac and “Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

One more time, Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

The stagefront area remained well populated for the entire night, as fans cheered on both bands. In all, a good show.

Here is rough footage from Dragon Fire’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00335.MPG

JP’s HAIKU

Syrins at the Post
Playing tunes older than them
The kids are alright!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »