· The Final Cut
MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP, Part 3
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Apr 25, 2008 

MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP, PART 3

FRIDAY NIGHT SHOWCASES 2/15/08

Although the Millennium Music Conference showcases began on Thursday night, things really kicked into full action on this night, Friday. Some 25 different venues were hosting bands and performers throughout the Harrisburg area. Live music fan that I am, this always presents a dilemma for me - who do I go see? Often, two or three bands that I'm most interested in seeing are all playing at the same time, so I have to pick and choose. This night, though, I had a game plan in place, and didn't have to make any tough decisions.

My Friday night showcase bandwatching started at the host hotel, the Radisson, where nine different bands were performing. I saw the first five, starting with York-based power-trio Codorus Cruise Line. This group did driving guitar rock, including a number of songs from their recently-issued debut CD, Down That Alley. Guitarist Brady Henry, bassist Sean Diebert and drummer Jeremy Schlosser generated constant energy and enthusiasm with their music, with Brady displaying some excellent guitar solo work along the way. The CCL delivered good ol' straight-up-the-gut hard rock, the perfect primer to get the evening started on the right foot.

York power trio Codorus Cruise Line kicks off the music at the Radisson showcase.

Brady Henry of Codorus Cruise Line. By the way, the band's name comes from a York County creek along which two of the band members live.

Sean Diebert of Codorus Cruise Line.

Again, Brady Henry of The CCL.

Jeremy Schlosser of The CCL.

Graduating to the Radisson main stage for this year's Millennium, Codorus Cruise Line.

Next, on a second adjacent stage, was Shippensburg-based foursome Ledbetter Heights. Their style and sound was a little slower and more melody-geared, with a slight nod to Pearl Jam and Creed. I was looking forward to hearing their new song material, and seeing how it compared to their previous stuff. Ledbetter Heights performed a number of songs from their forthcoming new CD, Evolve, coming out later this month. At least judging by songs like "Artificial Freedom" and "Caged In Violence," the group's sound has evolved and grown, with deeper lyrical content and a continued knack for interesting melodies. I again liked what I heard from Ledbetter Heights, and look forward to hearing the completed new album once it hits the streets.

Ledbetter Heights, performing on a second stage at the Radisson.

Nick Staver of Ledbetter Heights.

Brian Stoner of Ledbetter Heights.

Again, Nick Staver of Ledbetter Heights.

Once again, Ledbetter Heights. They'll be guests in the studio on Q94's "Backyard Rocker" on April 6.

Next was a Pittsburgh entry, Eye C Snakes, who played a feisty brand of female-fronted, melodic rock. This group features a brother-sister combo, with Danielle Barbe on lead vocals, and David Barbe on lead guitar. They demonstrated hard-rocking energy and poise on their set of driving original rock. This group recently joined the stable of noted producer David Ivory, who is working with the group and helping get them to the next level. I didn't catch much in the way of song titles, except for their powerful set-closer "Movin' On," which featured some of David's most fiery guitar displays. It was all strong, though, and I hope to hear more from this group in the future.

From the 'Burgh, Eye C Snakes rocks at Millennium.

Again, Eye C Snakes.

Danielle Barbe of Eye C Snakes.

Danielle Barbe and Mike Dugan of Eye C Snakes.

Again, Danielle Barbe of Eye C Snakes.

David Barbe and Jonah Petrelli of Eye C Snakes.

In the heat of a guitar solo, David Barbe of Eye C Snakes.

They were followed by Moto Guzzi, a new Harrisburg area band featuring former Halestorm guitarist Leo Nessinger. The group had just begun performing under this name; they were billed on the Millennium schedule under their previous handle, The Burn. Moto Guzzi’s sound was hard, fast and furious as they played a selection of punk-fueled, hard-driving modern rock originals. Their sound was a bit raw and jagged; this was a young band, and I understand that this was just their third or fourth show with this line-up. (Sorry, no pictures of Moto Guzzi; I got busy talking with Witches In Bikinis' manager, Julie, and didn't make it up to the stage to take any pictures.)

By the way, speaking of sound...As you might recall, there was a bit of difficulty with sound quality during the Radisson showcases at last year's conference; at least thus far this night, it was sounding clear and powerful on both stages, and the sound crew was taking the extra care to get it right this time around. With both stages adjacent to each other, the sound board was centrally located in front of the center between both stages, which seemed to make for smoother transitions and greater control.

The fifth band I saw at the Radisson was Montreal-based rockers The Respectables. This band was fun, doing fiery, friendly blues-rooted rock hinting at early 70’s Stones, the Black Crowes and Goo Goo Dolls. Their songs were catchy and singable; every song they performed during this set I could envision hearing on a radio. The Respectables' energy and enthusiasm quickly caught on with the audience, and it seemed like a lot of folks were enjoying what they had to offer.

From Montreal, The Respectables.

Sebastian Plant of The Respectables.

Once again, The Respectables.

With many showcases happening in the Harrisburg vicinity this night, I left Radisson and headed to another nearby Camp Hill venue, Dorado, to see two acts I met earlier in the day at the conference. First was northeastern-PA-based progressive jazz trio Chromatica. This group did a unique style of jazz fusion, marked by interesting and unusual chording and chord shifts, and overall talented musicianship. Chromatica performed selections from their CD, Out of Bounds, released last year. Their overall sound reminded me some of Mahavishnu Orchestra and the more experimental side of 70's-era King Crimson; and their presentation was often spellbinding as they explored new musical terrain. And as this venue, Dorado, catered to a slightly older crowd, Chromatica's progressive jazz sounds were well-received by this audience. This was one of the surprise discoveries of Millennium weekend for me; and I was glad I decided to come check them out.

Rick DelNero of Chromatica.

Dave Sabo and Rick DelNero of Chromatica.

I also stuck around for the next performer, solo keyboardist and singer Genevieve. From Los Angeles, Genevieve sang a brand of soulful pop, showing her expressive, high-ranging and dynamic voice. She did a selection of songs, including original tunes such as "Welcome to Los Angeles," the ballad "Empty" and "on the Bayou;" she also did an emotion-packed spin on "House of the Rising Sun." She was a friendly performer who was at home in front of an audience, and performed with confidence and poise. (I later learned that Genevieve once performed in Altoona a few years ago during an Altoona Curve game at Blair County Ballpark; her sister-in-law has family in the area.)

Genevieve, winning new fans at Dorado during her Millennium Music Conference showcase.

At this point, there was one more band that I wanted to see this night, playing up the road at Rumors in Enola. I went to see one of the Altoona entries at this year’s Millennium, Spirit Lost. I arrived just before they started, and watched as Spirit Lost rocked the house with their selection of edgy, modern-meets-progressive original rock. Singer Austin Tepsic showed a lot of energy and spirit as he howled and growled out lyrics to original songs such as “Soul Seeker,” “Pieces of a Stained Glass Mind,” “Misery of a Wounded Heart,” several new songs, and a rowdy rendition of Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger.” His support cast, guitarists Brian Smith and Joe Harpster, bassist Russ Patterson and drummer Lisa Fazenbaker, provided a tight and powerful backdrop. Their first foray into Harrisburg was a successful one, and the group’s performance won some new fans, evidenced by the unanimous cheers as their set progressed. This Altoona entry to Millennium represented well.

Spirit Lost, representing the 'Toona at this year's Millennium.

Again, Spirit Lost.

Austin Tepsic of Spirit Lost.

Once again, Spirit Lost.

A rowdy fan rocks along during Spirit Lost's set.

The second night of Millennium showcase performers had drawn to a close. On deck would be a busy Saturday at the conference, and even more showcasing bands and artists on Saturday night.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: