· The Final Cut
MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP, Part 5
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Apr 25, 2008 

MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP, PART 5

SATURDAY NIGHT SHOWCASES 2/16/08

Saturday night was the busiest night of showcases during Millennium Music Conference weekend, with all of the participating venues presenting numerous bands and artists throughout the Harrisburg area. Although I had many names on my list that I wanted to see, I had to make some tough decisions along the way, and tried to see as many acts as I could get to.

I first headed to Gullifty’s in Camp Hill to witness two bands, Monacle and The Underhills. Monacle is a new Harrisburg-based group featuring singer/songwriter Edwin Tichenor, who I saw earlier in the afternoon performing acoustic during the Millennium trade show. Edwin, drummer Jon Robinson and bassist Cool B Dell blended acoustic rock, folk and funk into a catchy, easy-to-digest sound. Their overall sound had a little bit of a Dave Matthews Band flavor to it. I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, except for the tunes “Moments” and “Someday.”

Harrisburg’s Monacle kicks off the Saturday evening Millennium showcase at Gullifty’s in Camp Hill.

Edwin Tichenor of Monacle.

From Philadelphia, The Underhills also demonstrated a strong knack for melodies in a slightly harder vein, as they performed songs from their CD, The Road From Here, along with newer material. Five members strong this night with an additional keyboard player, The Underhills’ delivered a full-bodied sound; often driving and harder-edged, yet smooth and polished. From the CD, the group did the songs “1,000 Years” (which is featured on this year’s South By Southwest Music Conference compilation CD; The Underhills get to showcase at that conference, in Austin, Texas, on Mar. 15), “So Far Away,” “Chance on Sunday” and “California.” They closed their set with an audience request for one of their originals, “She Smiles,” for a lady celebrating a birthday in the audience.

From Philadelphia, The Underhills.

Again, The Underhills.

David Rossi of The Underhills.

One more time, The Underhills.

I then returned to the Radisson main stage to see an act that floored me during last year’s Millennium, Brooklyn-based rock and performance group Witches In Bikinis. On the surface, this group delivers exactly what the band name suggests; six gorgeous “witches” clad in bikinis. (Last year, the group donned witch capes as well.) But beyond the obvious eye candy aspect, these gals and the four-piece band behind them offer a unique and entertaining presentation. Each “witch” is a dance instructor, thespian, dancer or theater student; and with the band, they put together a live music and dance spectacle suggesting a blend of 60’s beach movies, The Rocky Horror Show, the Rockettes and Broadway. The group’s musical style is a blend of surf rock and the B-52’s, and each song becomes a vignette and production complete with costumes, props and choreographed dance moves. Witches In Bikinis kept the large Radisson crowd glued to the action as they did such songs as “Horror Flick Chicks,” “Zombie March,” “Jennifer of the Jungle,” “Freak Show Safari,” and their own title anthem, “Witches in Bikinis.” During one number, “Party Like a Chimpanzee,” the Witches recruited three audience members to come onstage and give their best chimpanzee impersonations. Witches In Bikinis’ show was fun and exciting, and again was a highlight of my Millennium experience.

Appearing at Millennium for the second year in a row, Witches In Bikinis.

Again, Witches In Bikinis.

More Witches In Bikinis!

My Pennsylvania Musician Magazine cohort, RachelRocks, goes ape and does her best chimpanzee impersonation onstage with Witches In Bikinis.

Rachel and two other audience members help Witches In Bikinis during their rendition of “Party Like a Chimpanzee.”.

Once again, RachelRocks goes ape.

Even more Witches In Bikinis!

Yes, there are guys in the band…Gene Kelly and Jaime Boyaca of Witches In Bikinis.

One more time, Witches In Bikinis.

Videotaping her band, Witches In Bikinis’ manager, Julie Rozar.

The Radisson’s bar lounge also hosted entertainers during the conference, featuring acoustic and solo acts. I headed there next to witness Harrisburg-based electronica project The Programaddicts. The Programaddicts is the brainchild of its creator, Jamison, and is a one-man act featuring Jamison on vocals, guitars, and programming. The Programaddicts is the name that Jamison gave to his multi-instrumented keyboard and digital array. As it turned out, the Radisson lounge was the perfect setting for this performance, as a large audience was tightly packed into the room, and in close proximity to Jamison as he performed upbeat electronica original songs with an 80’s Brit-pop flavor. Jamison quickly had some dancers as he performed songs from his Technology Baby CD such as “Cool Like You,” “Sweet Sweet,” “City Girls,” the title “Technology Baby” and “The Real Thing;” he also tied together a rendition of Animotion’s 80’s dance hit “Obsession” with his own original song “Obsession Tonight.” The Programaddicts’ happy-go-lucky electronica party provided another highlight to Millennium weekend.

Programaddicts (the keyboard array) and the artist running it, Jamison.

RachelRocks and Witches In Bikinis’ manager Julie cut the rug to The Programmadicts.

Once again, Programaddicts mastermind Jamison.

From there, I headed north on Routes 11 and 15 back to Rumors in nearby Enola, this night presenting an evening of all female-fronted groups. Philadelphia-based trio Showin’ Tell was in the latter stages of their performance when I arrived. I first saw this group two years ago during Millennium; like that performance, Showin’ Tell again performed bristling classic punk-driven rock with a melodic, soulful dynamic. Singer/guitarist Jeska (who represented New Jersey in the 1996 Miss Teen USA Pageant), bassist Lo E and drummer Nicolino (a guy) capped their set with a caustic spin on the Janis Joplin chestnut “Piece of Your Heart.” I wish I could arrived earlier to see more of this band, but what I saw of Showin’ Tell was again good; hopefully I’ll get to see this band again sometime soon.

Jeska and Lo E of Philadelphia’s Showin’ Tell.

Again, Showin’ Tell. This band rocks!

Finishing the evening was Harrisburg’s Deja Vudoo, a group I had been waiting to see in its entirety for a while. True to their Scratching the Surface CD, this group offered female-fronted heavy modern rock, peppered with slight goth and techno flavors. Singer Tina Marie displayed a rangeful and powerful voice, as well as personality and charisma as she sang intriguing dark-themed songs from Scratching the Surface such as the title song, “Real to Me,” “Dreamin,’” “Making Angels Cry,” “Scapegoat,” “Immortal,” “Your God” and more. Her band was tight and powerful as well; drummer Tony Pichler’s beats were pounding and thunderous (Tony played in Altoona a few times with Loud Silence and another band or two at City Limits); while bassist Alan Michael, guitarist Michael Nott and guitarist/keyboardist Anthony Reigle provided the wall of guitar sound and varied the textures behind Tina Marie’s presentation. After being impressed by the CD, I can report that Deja Vudoo delivers the goods in the live setting as well; a strong performance!

Closing the night at Rumors, Harrisburg’s Deja Vudoo.

Michael Nott and Tina Marie of Deja Vudoo.

Tony Pichler of Deja Vudoo.

Again, Deja Vudoo.

Again, Tony Pichler of Deja Vudoo.

Once again, Deja Vudoo.

Michael Nott, Tina Marie and Alan Michael of Deja Vudoo.

Tina Marie of Deja Vudoo. This is the same Tina Marie who used to host the now-defunct internet local music show “Musician Showcase” on Harrisburg Broadcasting Network.

One more time, Tony Pichler of Deja Vudoo.

The busiest night of Millennium showcases had drawn to a close. One more day of panels and showcases remained to this year’s conference.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: