· The Final Cut
MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP, Part 7
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Apr 25, 2008 

MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP, PART 7

SUNDAY NIGHT SHOWCASES 2/17/08

The Radisson and local rock station 105.7 "The X's" Sunday night local music program, "Under The Radar," were closing out the Millennium Music Conference with an all-ages, twelve-band showcase of local and regional talent, which started late Sunday afternoon. The show kicked off with a celebration of youth, as two bands comprised of teenagers - Reading-based Comic Book Heroes and Harrisburg-based Pink Yard Flamingoes - commenced the music. I missed Comic Book Heroes (the Millennium schedule didn't allow a gap between the end of the conference and the start of the showcase to allow for an evening meal - I didn't get breakfast this day, so I was starving and had to make a tough decision to choose food over live music); I did arrive back at the Radisson in time to see part of Pink Yard Flamingos' set. Now seasoned veterans of Millennium (playing their third one!), the Flamingos played their brand of classic/progressive-rooted hard rock, previewing songs from their forthcoming second CD, Captain Derringham’s Statement, along with tunes from their eponymous debut. I witnessed as bassist Jeremy Robbins played saxophone during one number, and as guitarist Matt Klahre wailed some harmonica on the tune “Silhouette.” After their original tune “Finale,” the Flamingos capped their set with a fiery spin on Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Chile.” These kids are still alright, and it’s good to see they’ve kept the band together and are moving forward.

Pink Yard Flamingos rock Millennium once again.

Andy Snyder of Pink Yard Flamingos.

Up third was Harrisburg-based alternative rock foursome Brothers Unaware. Four members strong, Brothers Unaware demonstrated a U2-like sound, marked with soaring melodies and a jangly, Edge-like guitar presence. They delivered a consistent sound, with occasional funkier and groove-oriented passages. I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, except for “Stand in the Rain” and “Here I Am.” Overall, a pretty strong and consistent set.

Brothers Unaware.

Pat Curran of Brothers Unaware.

Once again, Brothers Unaware.

Jon Zimmerman of Brothers Unaware.

One more time, Brothers Unaware.

A name familiar to Altoona audiences, Rise Phoenix Rise, then performed their lively, action-packed brand of punk-infused modern rock, showcasing songs from their CD The Land of Oohs and Aahs. Singer Gibson, guitarists Eric Bishop and Jarrod Griffith, bassist Ronnie Williams and drummer Rob Hampton kept things energetic as they did songs such as “She Likes Girls,” “Boxing Josh,” the new single “Dante Maria,” “Walk Away” and more. Rise Phoenix Rise was instrumentally tight, and Gibson again displayed his solid voice and outgoing personality to a receptive audience of onlookers. Rise Phoenix Rise represented well, and showed the Millennium audience why they are one of the rising names in the state’s music picture.

Rise Phoenix Rise rocks at the Millennium Music Conference.

Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Rise Phoenix Rise.

From another angle, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

One more time, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Harrisburg's Friction Broadcast followed, introducing their style of hard, progressive-leaning modern rock. This foursome had an interesting sound, defined by intricate melodies and unpredictable chord progressions and choruses. Some of the songs they did this night included “Mystery,” “See You” and “Paranoia.” Friction Broadcast was instrumentally tight, and guitarist Rick Johns (formerly of the Amy K Band) showed some lethal skills on the strings, especially his ear-opening solo on “Paranoia.” I definitely liked what I heard from Friction Broadcast, and hope to catch these guys in action again soon.

A young fan watches as Friction Broadcast kicks off their Millennium set.

Again, Friction Broadcast.

One more time, Friction Broadcast.

Youth was served early in this showcase; the ‘elder statesmen’ stated their cases later in the show. Harrisburg pop/rock veterans The Jellybricks delivered a fiery and enthusiastic set, as they previewed some of the songs from their forthcoming new CD, Goodnight to Everyone. Singer/guitarist Larry Kennedy, guitarist/singer Bryce Connor, bassist Garrick Chow and drummer Tom Kristich again demonstrated their knack for catchy tunewriting, combined with tight and aggressive playing. Their sound suggests influences spanning the Beatles to Brit-pop, but with a collective fire lit underneath them, these guys drove it home with ample spirit and firepower. Twelve-year veterans of the regional music scene, The Jellybricks showed they very much still have the fire, and this set made me excited to check out their new CD once it drops in a few weeks!

Twelve years and still rocking out, The Jellybricks.

Again, The Jellybricks.

Larry Kennedy of The Jellybricks.

Bryce Connor of The Jellybricks.

Garrick Chow of The Jellybricks.

Tom Kristich of The Jellybricks.

Once again, Larry Kennedy of The Jellybricks.

Baltimore's Fourth Element was next. Four members strong, Fourth Element kept the energy level high with their style of driving, metal/emo-flavored modern rock. Their sound was brasher and a bit more volatile, yet melodic as they varied between groove-geared numbers and more agitated flourishes. Again, I didn’t catch much in the way of titles, but it all sounded steady and consistent. As it turns out, this was one of Fourth Element’s final performances, as the group announced a few days later that they are going their separate ways.

Fourth Element.

Adam of Fourth Element.

Age was again served at Millennium, as another seasoned veteran act of past Millennium Music Conferences, Lancaster modern rock quintet Negative Space, was next. Singer Josh Nice, guitarists Rick Lienhard and Britain Roda, bassist Mark Reinmiller and drummer Jimmy Everly performed a powerful set which previewed a number of tunes from their forthcoming new CD, Storylines, dropping in March. Negative Space retains their trademark, punk-edged modern rock sound, and the new song material continues to display a knack for melody and meaningful lyrics. This group still puts on a tight, high-energy set, and based by the large crowd in front of the stage, Negative Space remains one of the more popular names in this part of the state.

Negative Space, performing at another Millennium Music Conference.

Josh Nice of Negative Space sings to some stagefront fans.

Again, Negative Space.

Mark Reinmiller and Britain Roda of Negative Space.

More of Negative Space.

Again, Britain Roda of Negative Space.

Rick Lienhard of Negative Space.

Some more Negative Space.

Again, Josh Nice of Negative Space.

Jimmy Everly of Negative Space.

Next was a band I was eager to check out at this showcase, York-based quintet Evelyn's Ashes, after hearing a good portion of their recently-issued CD, Far Away. Five members strong, Evelyn’s Ashes’ sound combines clever, intriguing melodies with a heavy modern-rocking backdrop. Their song material was melody-based and classic-rooted, as they did songs from the CD such as “Backdown,” “Rewind” and more. Singer Wes Myers demonstrated a strong and solid voice, and his guitar tandem, Chris Cutshall and new guitarist Dale Lytle, both showed some excellent solo skills during the set. Evelyn’s Ashes too represented well at Millennium, and hopefully I’ll be able to catch another show by these guys soon.

From York, Evelyn’s Ashes.

Dale Lytle of Evelyn’s Ashes.

Again, Evelyn’s Ashes.

Ted Hile of Evelyn’s Ashes.

Chris Cutshall of Evelyn’s Ashes.

Again, Dale Lytle of Evelyn’s Ashes.

I stuck around to catch part of one more band's set, from Scranton's OurAfter. This group’s frontman, singer/guitarist John Phillips, should be familiar to some as a member of longtime eastern PA party force UUU. A five-piece band, OurAfter performed hard-edged, fast-paced modern rock; and did it quite well, considering they were using a substitute drummer this night, as Matt Kester filled in for Eli Hludzik. The three songs I heard, “Push a Little Harder,” “Shallow” and one I didn’t catch the title to, all sounded strong. From what I saw, OurAfter offered a strong and convincing performance.

OurAfter continues the rock at the Radisson.

John Phillips of OurAfter.

Steve Husted of OurAfter.

Again, OurAfter.

At this point, I departed the Radisson and headed into downtown Harrisburg to see a band I met earlier in the afternoon during the aforementioned radio panel seminar. The band was Williamsport-based co-ed fivesome Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations, who were kicking off the weekend's final showcase line-up at Molly Brannigans. I had learned earlier in the afternoon that two of this group's members, singer/guitarist Garrett Williams and bassist/singer Kristin Gdula, were from the Johnstown area and attending Lycoming College in Williamsport, where the band first formed. I didn't realize until I heard Kristin's last name announced during this night's show that I had actually seen her perform several years ago, as part of a Cambria County-based early-teen all-girl rock band, Midnight Peace, during a church festival in Dunlo. It was rewarding to learn that Kristin has stuck with music since then, and was now showcasing during the Millennium Music Conference. Named after their drummer, Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations played a bright, fun mixture of classic- and blues-flavored rock. They spotlighted songs from their 2007 debut CD, Blue Jeans & Daydreams; including such songs as “Aviator Baby,” “Johnny You Can Dance,” “Ley Line Maggie” and “On Your Way.” They also mixed in playful renditions of classics from Chuck Berry, Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Band; their rendition of “The Weight” featured a verse sung by each member of the band except Sarah. Their closing number, the original song “Copper Shoes,” evolved into a spirited clap-along and singalong which brought the Molly Brannigan’s audience into the party. Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations’ set was lively, with Garrett serving both as the primary singing voice and circus ringleader. Their energy, enthusiasm and smiles quickly caught on with the audience, and they had won a number of new fans by the end of their performance. Good, fun stuff!

Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations, kicking off the Sunday showcase at Molly Brannigan’s.

Kristin Gdula of Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations.

Patrick Hayes and Garrett Williams of Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations.

Garrett Williams and Kristin Gdula of Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations.

Again, Garrett Williams of Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations.

Greg Lang of Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations.

Kristin Gdula of Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations takes her bass out onto the floor at Molly Brannigan’s.

Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations’ namesake behind the drum kit, Sarah Fleck.

I then hit the road once again, to head to one final destination to conclude my Millennium weekend. That destination was Johnny Joe's, a roadhouse-styled venue in Mechanicsburg, which had played host to a number of harder rock and metal acts during Millennium weekend. I arrived in time to see another band representing our local region, the Clearfield/State College-based quintet This Ends Now. Frontman Frank Rumfola is a veteran of the local hardcore and metal scene, previously fronting 969, At Hope's End and Vengence. Texas transplant B. Randon plays lead guitar, Ed W. plays rhythm guitar, J. Belinda plays bass, and Nikky K. plays drums. This Ends Now was easily the heaviest-rocking band I witnessed this weekend, unleashing a furious, pulverizing, full-aggression style and sound. The drums boomed, the guitars and bass roared, and frontman Frank unleashed the beast with a feral, angry, full-vent snarl. The frequent use ot strobe lights behind them intensified the effect of This Ends Now’s musical attack. Some of the assaults this band did included their title “This Ends Now,” “Last to Die,” “Spineless” and “Thorn in Your Side.” This Ends Now's all-out ferociousness and intensity won the approval of this crowd; and defined the upper reaches of metal and hardcore heaviness this crowd would witness this night.

Bringing fire and brimstone metalcore to the Millennium Music Conference, This Ends Now.

Again, This Ends Now.

Frank Rumfola of This Ends Now.

B.Randon of This Ends Now.

Although I arrived too late to see them perform, Virginia’s Coldcast hooked me up with a CD. Thanks guys!

One more band remained; local Camp Hill-based hard-rocking foursome Tukurpa. As it turned out, Tukurpa had their own fireworks to offer in the form of a storybook ending to the weekend that would unfold during their set. Named after a Hopi Indian word for "eternal dream world," Tukurpa introduced a sound rooted in the 70's/80's classic heavy rock of Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. Atop weighty rhythms and thick guitar chords, lead singer James Leaman demonstrated a powerful, high-ranging vocal howl as the group performed a selection of original songs, including tunes from their 4-song demo such as “Wanna Play,” “Mayhem,” “Leeches” and “Peaceland.” Other songs included the slower “Take Me Down,” “The Wizard” (NOT the Black Sabbath or Uriah Heep songs of the same title, although this band’s style could probably serve either one well if they wanted to cover them), “Phobia” and more. Tukurpa had a legion of fans in the house, and these folks were frequently on the dance floor to cheer their band along.

Tukurpa slams the lid on Millennium Music Conference weekend.

James Leaman of Tukurpa. This guy could wail!

Matt Kramer of Tukurpa.

Carl “Craig” Hancock of Tukurpa.

Again, Tukurpa.

Again, James Leaman of Tukurpa.

Once again, Tukurpa.

Again, Matt Kramer of Tukurpa.

Dave Troutman of Tukurpa.

The storybook ending started to take shape shortly after my arrival, when Tukurpa's bassist, Carl "Craig" Hancock (who I met earlier at the conference) came over to me and pointed out a blond woman across the room. He told me her name was "Teco," and he was going to propose to her during Tukurpa's performance, as he fingered a small case in the pocket of his jacket, containing an engagement ring. Sure enough, four songs into Tukurpa's performance, with Teco already on the dance floor during a song the group just finished, Carl asked her to turn around, and popped the question and presented the ring. Teco's jaw dropped in shock, before the two held a long embrace on the stage to the resounding cheers of the audience. (I assume this means that she said "yes!") I then observed as Teco stared, with mouth open, at the ring for nearly ten minutes afterward. Obviously she never expected that this would be such a special night for her. After a weekend filled with musical highlights and conference excitement, this storybook ending slammed a special exclamation point on the end of what truly was a great weekend!

Carl “Craig” Hancock of Tukurpa pops the question and the ring to an unsuspecting Teco.

JP’s HAIKU

Millennium Twelve
A weekend of adventure
Ended too quickly!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1