· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 4/14/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday May 13, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 4/14/08

THE WILCOX HOTEL @ ZENO’S, STATE COLLEGE 4/10/08

I first learned about State College’s The Wilcox Hotel when the group contacted me last winter to be guests on Q94’s “Backyard Rocker.” Their intriguing music and story piqued my interest enough that I wanted to catch their live show. This night was my first good opportunity, so I did the roadtrip to Zeno’s in State College to see what The Wilcox Hotel was about live.

I arrived during the middle of The Wilcox Hotel’s second set. Lead singer/guitarist Jason De Leon, guitarist Geoffrey “Jefe” Vasile, former Neogumbo/Spider Kelly bassist Kevin Stacey and drummer Ryan Peterson performed an impassioned style and sound similar to 70’s-era Neil Young & Crazy Horse with varying punk, country and Latin edges; the group even was doing a version of Neil’s “Cortez the Killer” as I arrived! The group followed this with one of their originals, “Radio,” and another original number to close the set.

Zeno’s had a pretty good crowd on hand, and The Wilcox Hotel’s performance was being received well.

Soon the group returned for their nightcap set. This set featured all original song material, including songs from The Wilcox Hotel’s CD The Sacred and The Profane, as well as numbers from the group’s forthcoming new album, due out in late May. I didn’t catch many song titles during this set, but did recognize several tunes from the CD, including “Looking Through Glass” and the Spanish language “El Mojado Acuadalada.” Jason offered insight and told stories and background on many of the songs; a student from Los Angeles currently studying anthropology at Penn State graduate school, Jason spent some time traveling and researching in Mexico; and many of his songs are based on his stories and experiences while there. He and The Wilcox Hotel closed out the show with the song I was most anxious to witness in the live setting, the impassioned “Coyote Blues;” another song from the CD, the tune is about “coyotes,” the nickname for people who traffic illegal immigrants across the Mexican border into the U.S.; some are refutable, while others swindle money and even kill those they are paid to transport. Jason and the band rode this song to a fiery and over-the-top crescendo that had Jason dropping to his knees to wring every last drop of energy out of his own performance! This performance had the Zeno’s audience roaring approval; obviously they had just witnessed an emotional and heartfelt display!

At the end of May, The Wilcox Hotel will embark on a nationwide tour to promote the new CD; before parting ways later this summer. I was glad I got at least one opportunity to witness this group in action; as I had hoped after hearing tracks from their CD, The Wilcox Hotel lifts these songs to another level live. A feisty display!

Jason De Leon of The Wilcox Hotel.

The Wilcox Hotel.

Kevin Stacey and Ryan Peterson of The Wilcox Hotel.

Again, Jason De Leon of The Wilcox Hotel.

Again, Kevin Stacey and Ryan Peterson of The Wilcox Hotel.

Geoffrey “Jefe” Vasile of The Wilcox Hotel.

Once again, The Wilcox Hotel.

Again, “Jefe” of The Wilcox Hotel.

Once again, Jason De Leon of The Wilcox Hotel.

Things intensify as The Wilcox Hotel enters the homestretch of their performance.

Jason De Leon of The Wilcox Hotel, achieving meltdown.

One more time, Jason De Leon of The Wilcox Hotel.

BEDLAM @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 4/11/08

With 30 Something Restaurant & Lounge again offering up the combo of a dinner special and live band, I headed there this night to savor eggplant parmesan and catch my first look at Bedlam, a new band name that has been showing up on Altoona area stages in recent weeks.

Although Bedlam is a new band name, this trio features a veteran cast of musicians. The ever-busy John McKelvey plays guitar and sings; bassist/singer Denny Frank returns from a 25-year hiatus from local stages, and Duane Young plays the drums.

I arrived early during the first of Bedlam’s two lengthy sets, and the musicians were mixing it up between current and classic rocking favorites and original songs. As I enjoyed my eggplant parmesan and penne pasta, I watched as Bedlam did favorites from Blink 182, Weezer, Jonny Lang, Cheap Trick, Tom Petty, Brownsville Station, Green Day, Black Crowes, Van Morrison, Clash and more. Along the way, the group broke out one of John’s original tunes, the slow and bluesy “The Heart Is in the Mind.” Another interesting highlight was an unexpected cover of Jimmy Thackery’s “Cool Guitars,” before Bedlam wrapped up the first set with a funy medley that fused together Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music,” Cameo’s “Word Up” and Prince’s “Kiss.”

Although not a big crowd on hand at 30 Something, it was a frisky crowd, as a number of women were frequently utilizing the dance floor as Bedlam’s set progressed.

Bedlam soon reconvened the music with AC/DC’s “TNT” to open their second set. This set leaned more towards the classic rock side of the spectrum, as Bedlam did numbers from ZZ Top, Ramones, Lit, Beatles, Free, Jimi Hendrix, Kenny WEayne Shepherd, Van Halen, Santana, Mountain and more. This set featured another blues-flavored John McKelvey original tune, “714 Blues,” and again kept the 30 Something dance floor active. Bedlam’s performance was going over well enough that the crowd demanded two encores at night’s end, and the group responded with the Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There” for the first encore, and the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women” for the nightcap.

As expected given the experience level of the three musicians on the stage, Bedlam delivered a solid and spirited performance. Denny handled the lion’s share of lead vocal duties, and proved that he still has the vocal range from his early 80’s Cut The Mustard days. With smiles frequently appearing on all three musicians’ faces, these guys all looked happy to be jamming together this night. They were clearly having fun, and the 30 Something audience was having fun watching and dancing to them.

Bedlam rocks the dinner special at 30 Something every other Friday; so it’s likely this won’t be the last time I’ll see this group while enjoying the vittles at this venue. At least based on this show, Bedlam is a band worthy of your Friday dinner plans as well.

Bedlam rocks the supper crowd at 30 Something.

Again, Bedlam.

John McKelvey and Denny Frank of Bedlam.

Again, John and Denny of Bedlam.

Once again, Bedlam.

Duane Young of Bedlam.

From another angle, Bedlam.

Once again, John and Denny of Bedlam.

One more time, Denny Frank of Bedlam.

CHRISTINE KLICIEWICZ BENEFIT @ ORIENTAL BALLROOM, GALLITZIN 4/12/08

This Saturday evening, I was taking in another live music doubleheader. The first half of that doubleheader was a benefit show, as four bands were donating their talents to help out an area music fan dealing with hardship. The Christine Kliciewicz Benefit was happening at the Oriental Ballroom in Gallitzin.

The early evening benefit kicked off with Celtic rock sounds courtesy of Full Kilt, who was well under way as I arrived. Singer/guitarist Mike Zerbee, fiddle player Mandy Passmore, bassist/bodhran player Chris Myers and drummer Pat Boland played rocked-up traditional Irish favorites, along with songs from Flogging Molly, Great Big Sea, at least one original song called “Come Out and Drink with the Band,” and even a Celtic-flavored arrangement of U2's "With or Without You" to close the set. Although much of the crowd was still arriving during Full Kilt’s set, the group received cheers from a number of folks on hand early.
Getting the night started with their Celtic-flavored rock sounds, Full Kilt.

Again, Full Kilt.

One more time, Full Kilt.

Beyond Reason bassman “Deathmaster” Jamie Smith hooked me up with an Oriental Ballroom kitchen jalapeno popper shortly after I arrived, which hooked me on having to enjoy a session of these for myself. So I procured said poppers, fries and chicken planks for my evening meal as I watched Jamie and his bandmates, up next. Chris Myers was doing double-duty, as he moved from bass and bodhran to behind the drum kit, while brother Dan Myers II played guitar and sang; the group’s other guitarist, Tom “Urbs” Urbain, was out of the line-up this night. Beyond Reason fired up the rock and roll, playing favorites from the 60's to 90's. Kicking off with Van Morrison’s “Wild Night,” Beyond Reason triggered some dance floor action as they performed tunes from Blues Traveler, War, Black Crowes, Chuck Berry, Bryan Adams, Cream, Tommy Tutone and more. Dan showed off some impressive voice along the way, and sounded stellar on the set-ending spin on Buster Bennett's blues classic "Reefer Head Woman." Although a little bit of feedback adorned the “Deathmaster’s” lone vocal performance during the Gin Blossoms’ “Hey Jealousy,” at least no snot rockets were launched. Guest Mike Popovich played bass on several songs towards set’s end.

Triggering the first dance floor action of the show, Beyond Reason. Drummer Chris Myers pulled double-duty this night, he also played bass and bodhran with Full Kilt.

Once again, Beyond Reason.

Atomic Blonde then shifted musical gears next, as they headed into 70's and 80's-era pop, rock, dance and disco sounds. Performing along a midi-generated rhythm section, singers Carol and Jennifer Kennedy and guitarist Jim Kennedy quickly filled up the Oriental Ballroom dance floor, kicking off with Berlin’s “No More Words” and firing up the dance party with hits from Queen, Bangles, The Trammps, a Donna Summer double-shot of “Hot Stuff” and “Bad Girls,” Chic, Cyndi Lauper, B-52’s and more. Along the way, the group did a few original songs such as the slower “You Bring Me Home” and “Whisper in Your Ear.” Atomic Blonde is good at what they do, with Carol and Jennifer demonstrating strong vocal harmonies as they busted their own coordinated dance moves on the stage. This set elevated the tempo of the party.

Celebrating pop, dance and disco sounds of the 70's and 80's, Atomic Blonde.

Jim Kennedy of Atomic Blonde.

Again, Atomic Blonde.

Carol and Jennifer Kennedy of Atomic Blonde. These gals can harmonize!

Atomic Blonde, getting their dance groove on.

Once again, Atomic Blonde.

Atomic Blonde kept the Oriental Ballroom dance floor busy.
One more time, Atomic Blonde and dancers.

Everything was sounding good so far, courtesy of Jimmy Smith and White Lightning Audio. His mix was clear, and allowed the rhythms to thump and be felt throughout the room.

During this intermission, a number of gift baskets featuring items donated by area businesses were chanced off.

Introducing new bassist Steve Campbell, The Red Arrow finished the benefit with their fun blend of classic rock favorites. Steve, singer Deb Bush, guitarist/singer/show emcee Dick Kos, aforementioned soundman Jimmy Smith on guitar and drummer Mike Crocetti opened with the Bad Company double-shot of “Can’t Get Enough” into “Movin’ On,” and proceeded to refill the Oriental dance floor with favorites from Fleetwood Mac, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Wilson Pickett, ZZ Top, Pat Benatar, Van Morrison, John Mellencamp, Led Zeppelin and more. Highlights were frequent; including guest Brian Elliott (Arthur It is Blues Band) singing lead on Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man," as well as Dick's and Jimmy's dual guitar harmonies on Lynyrd Skynyrd numbers such as the Dick-proclaimed ‘Tunnelhill National Anthem’ “Gimme Three Steps,” the aforementioned “Simple Man” and “Sweet Home Alabama,” the group’s pairing of ZZ Top’s “La Grange” into Norman Greenbaum’s “Spirit in the Sky,” and the Dick-fronted rendition of Ritchie Valens' "La Bamba." After Deb belted out the voice on AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long” to close the set, the crowd wanted one more, and The Red Arrow responded with Free’s “All Right Now” to cap the benefit.

Dick Kos of The Red Arrow. Dick also emceed the concert.

Jimmy Smith of The Red Arrow. Jimmy also multi-tasked at the show, running sound.

Mike Crocetti of The Red Arrow.

Deb Bush and Dick Kos of The Red Arrow.

Again, Mike Crocetti of The Red Arrow.

Deb Bush of The Red Arrow. Thanks for the VIP press table and food tickets, Deb!

Again, Deb of The Red Arrow.

Again, Dick Kos of The Red Arrow.

A highlight during The Red Arrow's set was Brian Elliott of the Arthur Itis Blues Band belting out lead voice on Skynyrd's "Simple Man."

Again, Brian Elliott with Jimmy Smith of The Red Arrow.

Jimmy Smith and Dick Kos of The Red Arrow.

Jimmy and Dick, serving up some dual leads!

Again, Jimmy Smith.

Once again, Brian Elliott.

Again, The Red Arrow with guest singer Brian Elliott. The group also announced their new bass player this night, Steve Campbell.

Once again, The Red Arrow.

Once again, Dick Kos.

One more time, The Red Arrow, with guest Brian Elliott.

The tale of the tape was a VERY successful benefit, raising over $6,000 to help out Christine Kliciewicz, a gastroparesis patient whose situation has incurred increasing medical bills plus travel and lodging expenses to and from Pittsburgh for treatments. Christine has been an ardent fan of the local live music scene, and it was cool to see that scene giving back and helping her out this night. Hats off to Deb, Dick and The Red Arrow contingent for organizing the event, all the bands who participated, and everyone who came out to show their support!

REBOURNE (OZZY OSBOURNE TRIBUTE) @ THE ANCHOR INN, PATTON 4/12/08

As the Christine Kliciewicz Benefit was winding down, I departed the Oriental Ballroom to head to my second live music doubleheader destination this night, The Anchor Inn near Prince Gallitzin State Park, where Lehigh Valley-based Ozzy Osbourne tribute band Rebourne was making their first area appearance.

I arrived shortly into their performance, and as somebody who has seen a few Ozzy tributes over the years, the first thing I had to discern was if this group’s “Ozzy” made the cut. It didn’t take long to determine that singer Tim "Oz" passed the test with flying colors; he nailed a younger, more intelligible Ozzy's voice and mannerisms dead on! He, guitarist Redzy Rhoads, bassist Chaz Taylor and drummer Gary did a mix of Ozzy solo favorites and Ozzy-era Black Sabbath classics.

The group was encountering some technical problems as I arrived, but pulled the gear together for a rendition of Ozzy’s “Believer.” Then, during “Mama I’m Coming Home,” Gary broke a drum head. While that head was being replaced, “Oz” covered the pause by leading the crowd in the famous drunken Ozzy singalong version of "(Let's Go) Out to the Ball Game!” Once the problem was resolved, it was smooth sailing the rest of the way, as Rebourne delivered on renditions of “Iron Man,” “Mr. Tinkertrain,” “Diary of a Madman,” “Road to Nowhere,” “Mr. Crowley,” “Into the Void,” “Miracle Man” and “Black Sabbath” to finish the set.

I had wondered before this show how well an Ozzy tribute would go over at this venue, which is usually known more for running safer rock, oldies and country bands. But The Anchor Inn was doing good business this night, with a sizable and lively crowd, many who stood at the front of the stage to take in this mini concert-like show.

During the intermission, I got to chat with the band members, all pleasant and personable with the fans! And Tim “Oz” was personable as well, even as he remained in character off stage! “Oz” also has an original music project, and was selling CD’s from that project during the intermission.

Soon the madness resumed for one more set, commencing with “Crazy Train.” The group continued with various Ozzy and Sabbath favorites, doing “No More Tears,” “Children of the Grave” (featuring an impressive drum solo display by Gary), “War Pigs,” “Killer of Giants,” “I Don’t Wanna Stop,” an audience request for “Sweet Leaf,” and “Bark at the Moon.” By the time they reached the latter stages of the set, the crowd was starting to thin out; but the folks who remained continued to whoop it up as Rebourne celebrated all things Ozzy, and Tim broke out a rubber bat which he threatened to chomp. When the crowd demanded an encore, Rebourne responded with “Shot in the Dark.”

As Ozzy tributes go, Rebourne is one of the better ones I've seen, and they captured the sound and craziness of Ozzy Osbourne pretty accurately. Hopefully Rebourne will be making more visits to our neck of the woods in the coming months, based on the success of this night.

Tim “Oz” Allen of Rebourne.

Rebourne, rocking the Anchor Inn.

Again, Tim “Oz.”

Redzy Rhoads of Rebourne.

Drummer Gary of Rebourne.

Chaz Taylor of Rebourne.

Again, Chaz Taylor of Rebourne.

Again, Gary of Rebourne.

With fans looking on, Rebourne.

Again, Rebourne’s “Ozzman,” Tim.

Again, Chaz of Rebourne.

Chaz and “Oz” of Rebourne.

More of Tim “Oz” Allen of Rebourne.

Again, Redzy Rhoads of Rebourne.

Rebourne rides the crazy train at the Anchor Inn.

“Oz,” hungry for a snack, pulls out a (rubber) bat.

Again, “Oz” and his bat.

More Rebourne.

SUGARCOAT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/13/08

Another Sunday night brought me to Pellegrine’s, where Lancaster party-rock force Sugarcoat was back for their second visit on Pelly’s stage.

Sugarcoat’s return wasn’t greeted with as big a crowd as their debut here at Pellegrine’s; it will probably take a few more visits for this group to develop a consistent fan base in this locale. But as their second set unfolded, Sugarcoat set about to have fun and deliver the good time to the folks who were in the room. Singer/guitarist B.J. Huss, lead guitarist Tim White, bassist Chris Altland and drummer Sean Sultzbach opened their second set with Alice In Chains’ “Them Bones,” and continued with Velvet Revolver’s “Slither.” Then drummer Sean sang lead on Devo’s “Whip It,” before B.J. evoked a strong Bret Scallions-styled voice on Fuel’s “Shimmer.” After doing Green Day’s “Holiday,” Sugarcoat broke out one of their original songs, “Sugarcoated Fake,” from their EP Bed Head on Picture Day. After renditions of James’ “Laid” and Radiohead’s “Creep,” Sugarcoat did another original tune, followed by Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way” into the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle.” Versions of the Kinks’ “You Really Got Me” and Van Halen’s “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” closed out the set.

Sugarcoat was sounding good so far. These guys deliver a clean sound, with B.J. providing a clear voice up front, backed with sharp harmonies. Sugarcoat was instrumentally tight and energetic, and again, didn’t let the fact of the underpopulated room bother them, having fun with the folks who were there. At least a few folks gathered in front of the stage to groove to Sugarcoat’s sounds.

Soon the group started their final set with Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” before digging into the 80’s vault for Cutting Crew’s “I Just Died (In Your Arms).” Sugarcoat then broke out another original song from their EP, “Down,” before performing Pearl Jam’s “Better Man,” Sublime’s “Santeria” and Fuel’s “Hemorrhage (In My Hands).” This was followed by another original song, “Better Days,” another Sublime number, “What I Got,” and Everclear’s “Santa Monica (Watch the World Die),” before the group did yet another original tune, “Intruder.” Sugarcoat then closed out the night with renditions of Bush’s “Machinehead” and Billy Idol’s “White Wedding.”

Based on the amount of people in front of the stage by the time Sugarcoat closed the show, this band definitely won over some more folks during a not hugely-attended night. Hopefully this group can keep expanding their Altoona area fan base with future Pelly’s visits.

Here is some rough video footage from Sugarcoat's show:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00730.MPG

B.J. Huss of Sugarcoat.

Sugarcoat, bringing the party to Pellegrine’s.

Tim White and B.J. Huss of Sugarcoat.

Tim White of Sugarcoat.

Sugarcoat and some Pelly’s dance floor participants.

Again, Sugarcoat.

Once again, B.J. Huss of Sugarcoat.

B.J. Huss and Chris Altland of Sugarcoat.

Sean Sultzbach of Sugarcoat.

Once again, Sugarcoat.

More dance floor activity ensues during Sugarcoat’s performance.

The party continues with Sugarcoat.

Yet again, B.J. Huss of Sugarcoat.

Chris Altland of Sugarcoat.

One more time, Sugarcoat.

JP’s HAIKU

Christine Benefit
Four bands help out music fan
Over six grand raised!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009