· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 8/11/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Aug 26, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 8/11/08

THE GRIMM’S “RIDE FOR HOPE” CONCERT @ THE ANCHOR INN, PATTON 8/9/08

After resting up from my just-completed week of vacation, I headed up the hill to the Anchor Inn near Prince Gallitzin State Park to take in the concert end of The Grimm’s first-ever Ride for Hope benefit, raising funds for the American Cancer Society. An 85-mile motorcycle ride transpired earlier in the afternoon, and the concert capped the ride, with both the ride and show proceeds going to the Cancer Society.

Some of the motorcycles outside of the Anchor Inn.

I arrived shortly into the first band’s set. The group was Old Skool, and they played a mixture of classic rock and hits. Based out of Portage, the group featured lead singer Mark Kudlaweic, guitarist/singer Rich Bernazzoli, bassist/singer Ken Jubas, Ken’s son Mike Jubas on guitar, keyboardist/guitarist Greg Bills and drummer Alex Wolford. Old Skool played straight-up rock’n’roll, including numbers from the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more. For not being together as a band all that long, these guys sounded pretty solid, and received a good response from the crowd.

Mark Kudlaweic of Old Skool.

Son and father; Mike and Ken Jubas of Old Skool.

Kicking off the Ride For Hope concert, Old Skool.

More riders and fans continued to arrive, and I soon stepped up to the food area to load up on the dinner menu, including meatball sandwiches, hot dogs, mac and potato salads, baked goods and more.

The next band up was a totally new project born from the ashes of two previous band projects. Redemption features singer/bassist Aaron Gindlesperger and guitarist Buck Parsley, both previously of Dollarz-n-Sense; along with drummer Bud Beals of exiting trio Private Property. This new collaboration laid down a sturdy, hard-hitting sound as they performed tunes from Alice In Chains, Poison, Collective Soul, Led Zeppelin, Doors, AC/DC, Neil Young, Puddle Of Mudd, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Nickelback and more. The group also broke out an original number, “Every Time You Held My Hand.” Redemption kept it tight and strong, with Bud’s and Aaron’s rhythms providing the powerful backdrop for Buck’s stinging guitarwork and Aaron’s midrange howl. This was a good debut for Redemption (who subsequently announced a name change to Rapid Fire), and I’ll be looking forward to hearing this band again as they continue to evolve.

Aaron Gindlesperger of Redemption.

Debuting at the Ride For Hope concert, Redemption.

Again, Aaron Gindlesperger of Redemption.

Bud Beals and Buck Parsley of Redemption.

Again, Bud Beals of Redemption.

Once again, Redemption.

The Grimm’s Bob Lee and Kent Tonkin, hanging with Redemption’s Bud Beals.

The Smoke Run Band was next. Smoke Run sounded a little rough when I last saw them a few weeks ago at the Coalport Street Fair; but this night, these guys were feeling it, and delivered an upbeat and hearty set of good-time rock and roll, spanning the Rivieras’ “California Sun” and Chuck Berry’s “Johnny B. Goode” to favorites from ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, John Mellencamp and more. Singer Wendell Hoolihen was in good voice and spirits and bringing the party to the house, and his backing corps of guitarist/singer Shawn Ammerman, bassist Brian Beers and drummer/son Charlie Hoolihen were tight and energetic. Smoke Run’s upbeat performance triggered the first dance floor action of the evening. Based on this set, the 2008 edition of Smoke Run is progressing along fine, and for me at least, this was a clear improvement over the Coalport performance. The Smoke Run Band lives!

Wendell Hoolihen of the Smoke Run Band.

The Smoke Run Band.

Again, Wendell Hoolihen of the Smoke Run Band.

Shawn Ammerman of the Smoke Run Band.

Once again, the Smoke Run Band.

Beyond Reason continued the rock and roll party with another spirited performance of 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s rock and roll favorites. The last few times I had seen them, Beyond Reason was a trio; but this day the band was back to full strength, with rhythm guitarist/singer Tom “Urbs” Urbain back in the roster alongside lead singer/guitarist Dan Myers II, bassist/singer Jamie Smith and drummer/singer Chris Myers II. Beyond Reason kept the party going with tunes from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Georgia Satellites, Gin Blossoms, John Mellencamp and more, and also performed their original tune “The Rain.” Beyond Reason also triggered some dance action during the course of their set, and they succeeded in propelling the party forward.

Beyond Reason’s Deathmaster is hidden somewhere under that flying mop.

Tom Urbain and Jamie Smith of Beyond Reason.

Again, Urbs of Beyond Reason.

Chris Myers of Beyond Reason.

Dan Myers II of Beyond Reason.

Again, Chris Myers of Beyond Reason.

One more time, Beyond Reason.

Yours truly and pal Missy enjoying the tunes.

At this point, the rock started to take a heavier turn, starting with Naildriver. Singer Floyd Hunter, guitarist Scott Botteicher, bassist Dan Mullan and drummer Randy Sciarrillo demonstrated their brand of melody-geared heavy rock originals. I didn’t catch too many of the song titles, but did note “No Tolerance” (which Floyd sent out to our men and women in uniform) and “We the People.” Floyd was intense and out front, snarling his vocals with reckless abandon and taking his show to the crowd. Scott displayed some excellent guitar shredding along the way, and Dan’s fingerwork on the bass strings was pretty remarkable as well. Randy backed it all with hefty and powerful beats. This was my second time seeing Naildriver, and again I was impressed.

Before Naildriver’s set, The Grimm's Bob Lee holds the canister for the 50/50 drawing as Naildriver's Floyd Hunter pulls the winning ticket.

The 50/50 winner brings her ticket forward. She immediately donated all her 50/50 winnings back to the charity – cool!

Floyd Hunter of Naildriver.

Dan Mullan of Naildriver.

Randy Sciarrillo of Naildriver.

Naildriver’s rhythm section, Dan Mullan and Randy Sciarrillo.

Naildriver, rocking the Ride For Hope concert.

Scott Botteicher of Naildriver.

Again, Floyd Hunter of Naildriver.

Again, Dan Mullan of Naildriver.

Dan Mullan and Scott Botteicher of Naildriver.

Again, Scott Botteicher of Naildriver.

Yet again, Floyd Hunter of Naildriver.

Yet again, Randy Sciarrillo of Naildriver.

Once again, Scott Botteicher of Naildriver.

One more time, Naildriver.

The Embalmed then scorched the innards of the Anchor Inn with their scathing and heavily metallic display. The Straw brothers, Chad and Jason, drilled some of the most menacing monster guitar riffage I’ve ever heard on area stages, accompanied by their equally savage vo-kill displays as The Embalmed punished with such original numbers as “Morgueasm,” “Crucifixation,” their ‘biggest hit’ “Heartworm,” the requested “Toetags and Bodybags” and more. I was a little apprehensive about how The Embalmed’s brand of intense metal would go over with the crowd that was dancing to the Smoke Run and Beyond Reason rock and roll sounds earlier on; but the Anchor Inn crowd seemed to not just be tolerant, but appreciative of The Embalmed’s efforts…very cool!

Chad Straw of The Embalmed.

Greg Hatch of The Embalmed.

Darren Byer of The Embalmed.

Jason Straw of The Embalmed.

Again, Greg Hatch of The Embalmed.

Again, Jason Straw of The Embalmed.

Headbanging fans cheer on The Embalmed.

Again, Chad Straw of The Embalmed.

Once again, Jason Straw of The Embalmed.

Again, Darren Byer of The Embalmed.

Once again, Chad Straw of The Embalmed.

One more time, The Embalmed and fans.

The event’s host band, The Grimm, remained. The Grimm ended the night strong with their set of original material, including one new number they performed as an instrumental. Singer Bob Lee, guitarist Kirk Tonkin, bassist Kent Tonkin and drummer Ron Brode fired off such Grimm favorites as “My God, It’s Full of Stars,” “Dead Time,” “Suicide Knob,” “Flatline Pt. II,” “Raise the Line,” “Black Sheep,” “Angry and Shirtless” and more. Bob’s Bag O’Stuff wasn’t in attendance this night, but a rendition of “Suckupon” was, with Bob recruiting one Grimmette to voice the lyrics. The Grimm again brought the firepower and the fury, and closed out the benefit on a strong note.

Ron Brode of The Grimm.

The brothers Tonkin and Ron Brode of The Grimm.

Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

Bob Lee of The Grimm.

The Grimm, closing out the Ride For Hope concert.

Bob Lee and Kirk Tonkin of The Grimm.

Again, Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

Kirk Tonkin of The Grimm.

Again, “Otto” of The Grimm.

Once again, The Grimm.

Yet again, The Grimm.

Musicians and fans cheer on The Grimm.

After the show’s conclusion, the musicians still remaining in the house gathered onstage for some celebratory group photos to cap a successful day. The Grimm’s first Ride For Hope was a good day, raising over $1,700 for the American Cancer Society. And The Grimm already are planning to do a second Ride For Hope next year, and making it bigger and better.

The musicians involved in the Ride For Hope gather onstage for a final curtain call and photos.

KITTY WHIP @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 8/9/08

With The Grimm’s Ride For Hope concert wrapping up just after midnight, I still had some time to get back down the mountain to the ‘Toona and catch another band. Kitty Whip was playing their first appearance at 30 Something, and this would also provide my first opportunity to hear the band with new singer Ruschelle.

I arrived midway through Kitty Whip’s last set, and got to see the band fire through their last five songs. Although not a huge crowd, there were at least a few folks present and checking out the Whip, including a few folks gathered in front of the stage. As I expected upon hearing that she had joined the band, Ruschelle brought her own brand of fire and vinegar into the mix, providing strong and sassy voice alongside guitarist Dawn, bassist Kimi and drummer Christi. Kitty Whip’s song material was a little more daring as well, with Ruschelle fronting the group on renditions of Joan Jett’s “I Hate Myself for Loving You,” Jackyl’s “She Loves My C**k;” and for the night-ending encore, Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name.”

For the brief portion of the show that I got to see, I liked the new-look Kitty Whip. Ruschelle brings some sass and attitude to the front of this band, and the group as a whole appears more poised and confident. It will be interesting to see how this femme foursome continues to develop; this night hinted at a promising future.

Ruschelle of Kitty Whip.

Dawn of Kitty Whip.

Kimi of Kitty Whip.

Again, Ruschelle of Kitty Whip.

The new mach edition of Kitty Whip.

Kitty Whip gets the JP thumbs-up of approval.

SLACKER THEORY @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/10/08

My abbreviated weekend (or extended vacation, depending on your point of view) came to a close at Pellegrine’s, with Slacker Theory providing the tunes.

A good-sized crowd was in place as I arrived during the group’s second set. Singer/guitarist “Slacker” Steve Danfelt, guitarist Dalton McDonald, bassist Ryan George and drummer Rob Bonsell had a nice contingent of folks in front of the stage as they rocked with current numbers, original tunes, and a few rocked-up curios along the way. Over the remainder of the night, Slacker Theory sounded strong on tunes from Breaking Benjamin, Seether, Nickelback and more, along with their original tune “Shake,” a modern-rocking arrangement of Flock Of Seagulls’ “I Ran” and more. Steve’s voice was in good form through it all, and the band kept things tight and lively.

As has come to be expected from Slacker Theory, this was a good show that slammed the exclamation point on the weekend.

“Slacker” Steve Danfelt of Slacker Theory.

Ryan George and Steve Danfelt of Slacker Theory.

Destined for Rockpage photo-chop wars, RobtheDrummer of Slacker Theory, coming off a yawn behind the kit.

Slacker Theory rocking Pellegrine’s on a Sunday night.

Ryan George of Slacker Theory.

Dalton McDonald of Slacker Theory.

Again, Ryan George of Slacker Theory.

Several folks groove in front of Slacker Theory.

Again, Slacker Theory and fans.

One more time, Slacker Theory.

JP’s HAIKU

The Grimm’s Ride for Hope
Bikes, food, rock and roll, metal
Nearly two grand raised!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 20, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »