· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/25/08 PT. 1
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Sep 18, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/25/08 PT. 1

(Again, this recap is being done in two parts due to its size and amount of photos. Part 2 will be posted afterward.)

BIG JIM & BAD DAZE ROB @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/18/08

There were no shark bite warnings up for this Monday’s wing night at Pellegrine’s, as it was Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob providing the musical entertainment this week.

The night didn’t start well for me, as I did my best imitation of the U.S. Olympic men’s and women’s track relay teams’ baton-dropping episodes in Beijing, allowing a flimsy cardboard plate of wings and sauce to dump squarely into my lap during the handoff from Pelly’s waitress Snooks and associate Sparky. Fortunately, only one wing hit the floor; but my shorts were now two-toned denim blue and wing sauce red.

That mishap failed to derail the merriment of the rest of the evening, though, as Big Jim Ricotta and Rob Carolus kept the Pelly’s Monday night audience happy with their variety of favorites. In the audience this night was Red Arrow frontlady Deb Bush, who was finally coaxed to get up and sing lead on the duo’s rendition of ZZ Top’s “Tush.” Other highlights included a singalong rendition of Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville,” and Rob’s impromptu attempt at singing Herman’s Hermits’ “I’m Henry the VIII, I Am” late in the night. Rob and Jim also did favorites from James Taylor, Queen, Glenn Frey, Van Morrison, Journey, Doors, Neil Diamond, Cat Stevens, Eric Clapton, Three Doors Down, Bon Jovi, Charlie Daniels, John Lennon and more.

Wing sauce bath mishap notwithstanding, I enjoyed Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob’s latest party, as did the rest of the folks who stuck around. Another good time!

Deb Bush of The Red Arrow sings lead alongside Big Jim.

Big Jim, strumming the guitar.

Again, Deb Bush.

The cheering section of Jerry Gamber and Deb Bush party down to Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob.

FOREIGNER/HALF TEMPTED @ RAILROADERS MEMORIAL MUSEUM, ALTOONA 8/19/08

It took a little later into this summer for a marquee name to arrive in Altoona for a concert, but it finally happened this night, as Foreigner visited Altoona’s Railroaders Memorial Museum.

I arrived too late to catch opener Ryan Matthew’s set, but did get there in time to witness much of Half Tempted’s set. It was immediately clear that the group was seizing the moment – guest singer Steve Oswalt, guitarist/singer Ron Dalansky, bassist Joe George and drummer Clint Carothers were feeling it! The group proudly rocked and warmed up the already sizable Railroaders Museum crowd with hard-hitting classic rock favorites from Kiss, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, AC/DC and more; including my favorite highlight, a powerful rendition of UFO’s “Lights Out” (in Altoona), which they sent out to former UFO member Jason Bonham! Half Tempted was given a powerful sound mix, and Clint’s drums boomed out nicely. The audience cheered louder as the set progressed, and Half Tempted accomplished the mission of setting the table for the headliners to follow.

Half Tempted, heating things up for Foreigner.

Clint Carothers of Half Tempted, obviously a happy guy this night!

Guest singer Steve Oswalt, also enjoying his hour in front of the big audience.

Joe George of Half Tempted.

Steve O and a grinning Ronny D.

More Half Tempted.

Again, Half Tempted and the fans.

Yet more Half Tempted!

Once again, that grape ape himself, Joe George of Half Tempted.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

One more time, Steve Oswalt with Half Tempted.

Before Foreigner took the stage, Scott Studdard from In2It Marketing (the folks who brought Foreigner to Altoona) brought two youngsters onstage, to display a guitar autographed by Foreigner. The guitar would be given away at the end of the night. Anyone purchasing one of Foreigner’s CD’s during the evening was entered into the drawing, and $5 from each CD purchase was donated to the Altoona Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) – very cool!

Scott Studdard.

Scott from In2it Marketing with two youngsters, displaying the autographed guitar.

It didn’t take too long afterward for Foreigner to take the stage. The current edition of Foreigner; essentially a “supergroup” featuring founding guitarist/singer Mick Jones, Jason Bonham on drums, former Dokken bassist Jeff Pilson, former Hurricane singer Kelly Hansen, rhythm guitarist Tom Gimbel and keyboardist Michael Bluestein; performed an electrifying set showcasing the group’s biggest hits. The group opened their set strongly with “Double Vision,” and followed with “Head Games,” featuring Mick performing an extended guitar solo. The crowd cheered wildly as Foreigner followed with an extended rendition of “Cold As Ice,” before slowing things down for one of the group’s biggest hit ballads, “Waiting for a Girl Like You.” I was impressed with just how well this edition of Foreigner nailed the mood and tone of the original hit, especially Kelly’s tender vocal and Mick’s keyboard underscore. From there, Kelly introduced a new number from Foreigner’s recently-issued greatest hits set No End In Sight: The Very Best of Foreigner, “Too Late.” The group kept it rocking with “Dirty White Boy,” before delivering an interesting acoustic treatment of “Say You Will,” with Jason Bonham stepping out from behind the drum kit to join the rest of the band at the front of the stage. Mick Jones then addressed the audience, and introduced the next song, “Starrider,” which he sang lead vocals on, while Tom Gimbel played flute. Foreigner then hit the homestretch of their primary set, launching into “Feels Like the First Time,” following it with “Urgent,” and capping the set with “Juke Box Hero,” which started out of a “Kashmir” tease, and (like on their live CD) incorporated part of Zep’s “Whole Lotta Love” in the middle. Foreigner then left the stage, and the ecstatic crowd immediately demanded an encore. Foreigner soon returned, kicking off the encore with another of their big hit ballads, “I Want to Know What Love Is,” before Mick fired off a feisty guitar solo to preface a powerful rendition of “Hot Blooded” to end the night.

This edition of Foreigner did an excellent job. Their performance was fiery and enthusiastic from start to end, and brought each Foreigner hit to life for the large Altoona audience. Instrumentally these guys all brought their ‘A’ game, letting it out there for the audience. Mick Jones, now 63, still showed the fire as he delivered inspired guitar solos and confidently worked his side of the stage. I thought Kelly Hansen did a fine job on voice; he displayed an upbeat stage personality, and although he captured the Lou Gramm feel on much of the setlist, he still managed to inject his own style and signature as well. Foreigner kept the atmosphere charged, and the crowd fed off of it with a loud, rowdy and appreciative response.

Just days after this show, Jason Bonham announced he was leaving Foreigner at month’s end to collaborate on song material with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, sparking speculation about a possible Led Zeppelin reunion; this news made this night’s Foreigner’s visit even more special.

This whole night was one big, positive vibe that had folks in attendance talking about it for days afterward. Hats off to Scott Studdard and In2it Marketing and the Railroaders Museum for making shows like this happen in Altoona – here’s hoping for many more!

A large audience awaits Foreigner’s arrival.

Obviously these rowdy folks were ready for Foreigner!

Some folks were even standing outside the Museum fence to catch a glimpse of Foreigner.

Denise and Paula from up the mountain were ready to party!

Tom Gimbel of Foreigner.

[color=cyanKelly Hansen of Foreigner.[/color]

Again, Kelly Hansen of Foreigner.

Kelly Hansen and Jeff Pilson of Foreigner.

Early in the show, Kelly Hansen of Foreigner climbs the light scaffolding.

Jason Bonham of Foreigner.

Michael Bluestein of Foreigner.

Jeff Pilson and Tom Gimbel of Foreigner.

Again, Jeff Pilson of Foreigner.

Again, Tom Gimbel of Foreigner.

Once again, Jeff Pilson of Foreigner.

Mick Jones of Foreigner, still delivering the goods at 63!

Again, Michael Bluestein of Foreigner.

Again, Jeff Pilson and Tom Gimbel of Foreigner.

Once again, Kelly Hansen of Foreigner.

Mick Jones and Kelly Hansen of Foreigner.

Again, Jason Bonham of Foreigner.

Once again, Jason Bonham, in what would turn out to be one of his final gigs with Foreigner.

Kelly Hansen of Foreigner and the fans.

Strumming acoustic, Mick Jones of Foreigner.

Jeff Pilson, Jason Bonham and Tom Gimbel of Foreigner, singing backing vocals during “Say You Will.”

Again, Mick Jones.

Foreigner and cheering fans.

More Foreigner and fired-up fans.

Again, Jeff Pilson and Tom Gimbel of Foreigner.

Yet again, Tom Gimbel of Foreigner.

Once again, Tom Gimbel and Jeff Pilson.

Once again, Jason Bonham.

Saluting the fans before exiting at the end of the encore, Foreigner.

At night’s end, a happy winner of a guitar autographed by Foreigner!

PAT McGINNIS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/22/08

My initial game plan this night was to catch Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues’ performance at the Curtin Mall, the last regularly-scheduled Summer Sounds of Jazz concert of the season. However, workplace complications kept me later than expected and threw a wrench into those plans, so I decided to instead head to Pellegrine’s to catch my evening meal and enjoy some acoustic sounds courtesy of Pat “P-mac” McGinnis.

As I ordered up Pelly’s seafood platter, I took in Pat’s performance of classic rock, country, folk and Americana numbers. Pat’s song selection was interesting; armed with his acoustic guitar and harmonica, he did John Prine numbers such as “Angel from Montgomery” and “That’s the Way the World Goes Round,” along with other not-so-often-covered tunes as Willie Dixon’s “Bring It On Home,” Tom Petty’s “Wildflowers,” Van Morrison’s “Crazy Love,” Guy Clark’s “Homegrown Tomatoes,” Delbert McClinton’s “Two More Bottles of Wine,” Bob Dylan’s “Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright” and more. He also performed more common favorites from such names as Crosby Stills & Nash, The Band, the Eagles, Neil Young, Dr. Hook, Old Crow Medicine Show and more.

As expected, Pat showed a solid and sturdy voice, nice finger work on the guitar strings and some quality harmonica wailing. I enjoyed his eclectic song selection, which brought forth deeper song material not ordinarily heard on area stages. As with his performances with Broken Pony, Pat’s solo show again expanded my knowledge of song material; not only did I enjoy good live music and a good Pelly’s meal, I also learned something during the course of the two sets I witnessed from Pat.

Pat McGinnis, entertaining the late dinner crowd at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Pat McGinnis.

MY FRIEND FRANKIE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 8/22/08

After departing Pellegrine’s, I headed a few blocks up the road to the 4D’s Lounge, to witness a brand new band, My Friend Frankie.

Upon entering the Dees, I quickly recognized two of the three players in My Friend Frankie, and realized that although this was a new band name, it featured some established cats on the area music scene: veteran Johnstown bassman and singer Scott Barkhimer, and one of Altoona’s busiest drummers these days, Eric Wertz. Mike Fox played guitar and sang backing and some lead vocals.

Launching this project after just three practices, My Friend Frankie sounded solid overall as they entertained a modest-sized audience with a mixture of upbeat rock favorites. Their second set featured numbers from Modern English, Tommy Tutone, John Mellencamp, Romantics, Violent Femmes, Bryan Adams, James, Van Morrison, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more. The group did a slight funk/hip-hop diversion towards set’s end, fusing together Tone Luc’s “Wild Thing” with Vanilla Ice’s “Ice Ice Baby.”

My Friend Frankie’s nightcap set kicked off with Collective Soul’s “Shine,” and featured tunes from Green Day, Sublime, Better Than Ezra, Johnny Cash, Blink 182, Beastie Boys, Gin Blossoms, Billy Idol and more. Although the Dees wasn’t crowded, My Friend Frankie succeeded in drawing steady traffic onto the dance floor for most of the duration of the show.

For this maiden voyage, My Friend Frankie did a good job. The group was instrumentally on target with no major stumbles, and Scott handled the lion’s share of lead vocals with abundant confidence and sass. In all, it was a good show, and showed that this new band project was off to a rousing start.

Making their 4D’s debut, My Friend Frankie.

Scott Barkhimer of My Friend Frankie.

Again, My Friend Frankie.

Eric Wertz of My Friend Frankie.

My Friend Frankie triggers some dance floor action.

More of My Friend Frankie.

Mike Fox of My Friend Frankie.

WITCHES IN BIKINIS/PROGRAMADDICTS @ THE WHITAKER CENTER, HARRISBURG 8/23/08

I’ve raved about Witches In Bikinis a few times before here on Rockpage, after seeing the group at the past two Millennium Music Conferences and during a separate performance last summer at Rumors in Enola. This night, the Brooklyn-based entourage was unveiling a theatric show onstage at the Whitaker Center in Harrisburg. And since Pennsylvania Musician was a sponsor of the performance, I did the roadtrip to the state capitol to partake.

I arrived at Pennsylvania Musician headquarters near Liverpool and carpooled to the Whitaker with editor Robin behind the wheel. We arrived at the Whitaker and were in our seats in the Sunoco Performance Center before the first act of the evening was set to go.

That act was Programaddicts. Programaddicts is actually mastermind Jamison on vocals, along with his keyboards and computer array. I had first seen Jamison and Programaddicts back in February at the Millennium Music Conference, as he triggered a fun dance party in the small Radisson lounge with his brand of Brit-pop-flavored electronica dance music. Here I would witness Programaddicts in a theater stage setting. Proclaiming “I’m Jamison, and I am the Programaddicts,” Jamison kicked off the set with “Cool Like You,” the leadoff track to Programaddicts’ 2006 CD Technology Baby. He followed with “Sweet Sweet” (which brought out a rowdy cheer from my Pennsylvania Musician cohort RachelRocks), “City Girls” and the title track “Technology Baby” from the CD. Jamison then introduced one cover song, launching into Animotion’s “Obsession,” before following it with his own “Obsession Tonight” off the CD. Then strapping on his guitar, Jamison introduced the final song of his set, “The Real Thing.” It was a good display, with the Whitaker Center sound system giving Jamison’s electronics and keys a big, wide, clean sound; his bass sounds especially sounded large, yet balanced with the rest of the mix. Jamison himself gave an enthusiastic performance on the vocal end, and kept the set tight and efficient. The Whitaker Center audience received Programaddicts’ performance well, and several folks bought CD’s in the theater lobby afterward.

Programaddicts mastermind Jamison.

Again, Jamison.

Jamison straps on his guitar and plays along with his Programaddicts.

Once again, Jamison.

Yet again, Jamison.

One more time, Jamison of Programaddicts.

During the intermission, I headed out to the lobby, where I ran into several Harrisburg music scene folks, among them “Crazy” John Kerecz of Old Schoolhouse Radio (www.oshradio.com), living up to his nickname by decking out in a gorilla outfit. (I think it may have been a ploy to get invited onstage by Witches In Bikinis for one of their songs, like “Calling King Kong,” “Freak Show Safari” or “Jennifer of the Jungle.” Or maybe John just didn’t shave for a few days…)

Soon the house lights dimmed, and Witches In Bikinis were set to begin. After the band – guitarist, chief songsmith and group founder Bill Rozar, bassist Jaime Boyaca and drummer Josh Sazer – played an opening instrumental prelude, six Witches cloaked in black made their entrance onto the stage and started into their first song, “Video Vixen Vampire.” By song’s end, the cloaks had come off, revealing six new Witches In Bikinis since the last time I saw this group in February. The current coven of color-coordinated bikini- and wig-clad Witches – Erimaya Snelbs (pink), Adora Canner (lilac), Hellora Eyeclunth (orange-red), Mellamorphia (green), Mila Greach (aqua) and Pria LeCrew (orange) – continued with their captivating blend of surf-meets-girl group rock and pop, horror movie storylines, choreographed stage and dance moves and more. Each song presented a different story, complete with plot twists, stage props and bewitching chicanery. During their first set, highlights included “Goblin Gaboom,” “Calling King Kong,” “Dear Dr. Frankenstein,” and the two-song combo “Horror Flick Chicks,” where the Witches are ‘killed’ off one by one, and “Zombie March,” where the Witches are brought back to life by audience cheers.

The stage setting of the Whitaker Center enabled Witches In Bikinis to elaborate on the theatric side of their performance, and the group could work the Sunoco Performance Theatre stage to greater effect than the bar stage settings they had played in this locale before. The production and stage lighting, the props and more made their performance more grandiose, and enabled the group to indulge their imaginations a bit more. So far, it was all looking and sounding good, with the band on target, and each Witch displaying a good singing voice and upbeat onstage personality.

After the intermission, the house lights again darkened, and the Witches re-emerged in black capes to sing their title number, “Witches In Bikinis,” to open their second set. Again, the band and ladies performed a selection of musical horror stories, each again brought to life with theatrics and choreography. Some of the highlights during this latter set included “Subway Spook,” “Freak Show Safari,” “Scary Kind of Love,” “Jennifer of the Jungle,” “Mermaids In Outer Space,” and the closer, “Alien Surfer Babes.”

As expected, I totally enjoyed this show, experiencing a more theatric and elaborate side to Witches In Bikinis’ performance. These new Witches all worked well together, while each displaying their own style and edge. The tunes were all catchy and enthusiastically performed and acted out, and the energy and pacing of the show were seamless and constant. The Whitaker Center audience enjoyed it, and a number of folks stuck around to meet the Witches and purchase their new CD in the lobby after the performance.

Here’s hoping that we’ll soon see Witches In Bikinis visit this neck of the woods (there are a few possibilities that may pan out in coming months); this show is definitely a must-see if they do come to town!

Witches In Bikinis arrive on the Whitaker Center stage.

The Witches begin to disrobe.

Pria LeCrew and Erimaya Snelbs of Witches In Bikinis.

Witches In Bikinis and disguises.

Adora Canner of Witches In Bikinis.

It’s a multi-armed witch! Hellora Eyeclunth of Witches In Bikinis.

Hellora and her Witch associates.

Again, Witches In Bikinis.

More Witches In Bikinis.

Witches In Bikinis…in labcoats.

Witch-on-Witch violence during “Horror Flick Chicks.”

Pria LeCrew urges the audience to cheer her Witch associates back to life to kick off “Zombie March.”

The Witches revive.

The Witches are back!

Singing solo, Mila Greach of Witches In Bikinis.

More Witch chicanery.

Witches In Bikinis, looking a bit paranoid.

The Witches, ready for a jungle journey.

Witches In Bikinis mastermind and guitarist, Bill Rozar.

More jungle fun with Witches In Bikinis.

The Witches’ jungle adventure continues.

One more time, Witches In Bikinis.

BACK IN BLACK @ TUBBY’S, DUNCANNON 8/23/08

With the Witches In Bikinis performance ending prior to 11 PM, Robin and I had time to grab something to eat (at the Summerdale Diner in Enola; I had been past this place many times but never ate there until this night), before taking in another show happening in the Harrisburg area this Saturday night. Since it was on the way between the Whitaker Center and the ‘Pennsylvania Musician Bed & Breakfast,’ we headed to Tubby’s in Duncannon to take in the remainder of AC/DC tribute band Back In Black’s performance.

We entered as the group was bringing their brand of ‘thunder from Down Under’ to a packed house. This was my first time inside Tubby’s; I had heard some rave reviews about this room from friends, and it lived up to my initial expectations – sizable, with a big band room area. The layout of the venue reminded me some of the now-defunct Beerbellies in Duncansville, only a lot bigger. It had a rowdy, blue-collar feel to it – perfect for an AC/DC tribute!

I had seen Back In Black once before, years ago at New Sebastiano’s (now 30 Something) on what turned out to be a slow and unmemorable night. But this night at Tubby’s, it was jam packed and this band was bringing it, AC/DC in full fury! As the group launched into “Back In Black,” I quickly was blown away by frontman Tony, a big bruiser of a singer whose voice captured Brian Johnson’s howl perfectly – I could close my eyes and think I was listening to the Back In Black album! After this song, the group paused while Tony directed the audience’s attention to the collection of women’s undergarments adorning drummer Mac’s kit. He picked up a few garments and shared hilarious stories and one-liners about the groupies who once occupied them. After about two or three of these, Tony and Back In Black launched into another Brian-era AC/DC classic, “Let Me Put My Love Into You.” Back In Black then visited the Bon Scott catalog for “The Jack;” Tony’s Bon voice wasn’t quite as convincing as his Brian, taking on more of a Leslie West-type howl – which in the context of AC/DC, still worked very well. The group’s newly-added ‘Angus’ – lead guitarist Spencer – then started into the gyrating fingerwork that introduced the next AC/DC number, “Thunderstruck,” and again the house was going wild! The group quickly followed that with “Whole Lotta Rosie,” during which Tony picked up Spencer on his shoulders and gave him a ride around the house! The party continued with “Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution,” “Touch Too Much,” “Get It Hot” and “Love Hungry Man,” before the group welcomed the ladies of the house to join them onstage for “You Shook Me All Night Long.” The ladies remained as Back In Black closed out the set with “Hells Bells.” But the packed Tubby’s audience wasn’t done with this party yet, and quickly demanded more. After a few moments, Tony and the group returned to deliver one more AC/DC anthem to close out the night, with Tony dedicating “For Those About to Rock, We Salute You” to our men and women in uniform. The group’s sound engineer, Big Gary, brought the group’s full power forth, including piped-in cannon shots as the song reached its conclusion.

Needless to say, I was very impressed with what I witnessed from Back In Black! Tony was fiery and powerful as frontman, bringing the full Brian Johnson howl and doing a decent job on the Bon Scott material; plus he was an up-front and exciting entertainer with a wild personality and sense of humor! Spencer nailed the Angus guitar solos dead on, and could do the Angus antics (such as the duck walk) very well. The group’s ‘Malcolm’ – rhythm guitarist Pat – convincingly fired off the riffs and chords that fueled the AC/DC anthems – and both he and Spencer play the same guitars as the real Malcolm and Angus! The rhythm section of bassist Mic (“Cliff Williams”) and drummer Mac (“Phil Rudd”) packed the meaty foundation behind Back In Black’s sound. The group’s longtime sound engineer, Big Gary, made it all sound big and powerful; it indeed felt like an AC/DC concert!

I was amped after seeing this performance, enough so that Robin had to drag me out the door of Tubby’s so we could hit the road to the ‘Bed & Breakfast’ (after all, I had to get up early the next morning to race back homeward to emcee “End Of Summer Jam”). If you’re any sort of AC/DC fan, I give my highest recommendation to see Back In Black if you get the opportunity – definitely a kickass, excellent AC/DC tribute!

Spencer – “Angus” – of Back In Black.

Back In Black, in front of a crowded Tubby’s.

Tony – “Bon/Brian” – of Back In Black.

Again, Back In Black.

Tony of Back In Black displays one of the drum kit decorations.

Spencer and Mic of Back In Black.

Mac “Phil Rudd” of Back In Black.

Tony gives Spencer a ride around the room.

Pat – “Malcolm” – of Back In Black.

Once again, Back In Black.

Pat and Spencer of Back In Black.

Again, Tony of Back In Black.

Again, Spencer of Back In Black.

Yet again, Tony of Back In Black.

Back In Black, bringing AC/DC thunder from Down Under.

More Back In Black.

Again, Pat of Back In Black.

Back In Black’s AC/DC party continues.

Some ladies join Back In Black onstage.

The party continues on and off the stage.

Ladies partying down with Back In Black.

With some ladies looking on, Spencer of Back In Black.

Yet again, the Back In Black party.

One more time, Pat of Back In Black.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 20, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: