· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/13/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 12, 2003 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/13/03

DESTROY ELROY/LOOKING FOR JUNE/NO DICE/UNTITLED/PAST CURFEW @ ARANDALE ELKS LODGE, ALTOONA 10/7/03

Ever since the PLCB Chaperone Amendment debacle unfolded earlier in the year and all but eliminated all-ages shows at nightclub venues, Altoona’s Arandale Elks Lodge has stood as a primary hub for all-ages shows. Unfortunately, I often never learn about the shows happening here (usually on Tuesdays) until it is too late for me to plan on attending. This show was an exception, and I was able to make plans to attend and check out some of the area music scene’s younger talent.

On my mind as I arrived, though, was a tragedy that occurred three nights before…Outside of an all-ages nightclub in nearby Cresson where a dance was taking place, a 16-year-old teen from Philadelphia shot to death a 19-year-old teen from Altoona. Two young lives destroyed. Local townspeople in Cresson were calling for the nightclub in question to be closed down, with some people alleging drug dealers and other undesirables were hanging out there. (The nightclub has remained open, but installed metal detectors following the shooting.) The murder and the resulting media coverage of it gave a black eye to young people in general, depicting an image of a violent young generation gone awry in our area.

I’ve heard of other incidents at teen dances over the years involving kids brandishing weapons, security people being threatened, and other problems. While these incidents seem to surround a certain type of teen-dance situation, the bad apples and bad situations seem to cast a negative light over all teen activities.

Sadly, the media and society don’t give the same level of attention to events where things go right. Outside of the annual Teen Fest that happens near Altoona Area High School in June, the local community rarely ever hears about the teen events that go smoothly; where young people have a genuine good time without drugs and violence, enjoying their favorite bands, and in some cases even doing it for charity (i.e. – the Summer Break Band Bash in May). It’s unfortunate, because a number of halls and venues won’t open their doors to all ages shows because they hear about situations like the aforementioned Cresson shooting; they do not hear about Summer Break Band Bash, or the majority of smoothly-run all-ages live band shows I get to check out from time to time – including this night.

This night at the Arandale Elks, I saw several young area bands entertaining a good-sized group of young fans. I saw kids getting along with each other and having fun. I saw no drugs and no violence. I saw parents present and supporting their kids’ scene. I saw young people channeling their energies into something totally positive; a 180-degree opposite picture of what happened in Cresson three nights earlier. I often wish the media and society would pay more attention to nights such as this, and let the public know that there are teen events that are fun, beneficial and trouble-free. In lieu of the local television and newspapers publicizing such situations, I guess it’s up to music scribes like myself to let folks know about the nights when things go right.

A few small day-job duties prevented me from arriving in time to catch the first band of this five-band bill, Past Curfew. As I entered the Elks, local power trio Untitled was in the midst of their set, and had a good crowd of young fans in front of the stage area to cheer them on. Singer/guitarist Dan, bassist Steve and drummer Mike fired off simple, 3-chord punk’n’roll, mixing original songs with a few current and recent covers, plus a sense of humor along the way. Among the original tunes I witnessed were the three-chord rants “Christmas Day” and “Emily;” which accelerated from a midtempo rocker into a fast-break close. Other highlights of Untitled’s set included their shotgun marriage of Blink 182’s “Dammit” with 95 South’s “Whoot There It Is;” and for me, the unexpected rendition of Superdrag’s “Sucked Out.” Untitled gave a fairly solid performance; the vocals were on target for the most part, and I was particularly impressed with Mike’s steady and rapidfire drumming. Untitled appeared to have it together based on what I saw here, and at this point has already built themselves a supportive fan base.

Untitled, leaving three chords and a cloud of dust at the Arandale Elks.

Next up was No Dice. It had been a while since I last saw this band in action; and with their new album soon coming out, I was curious to see what they were up to. Tossing free candy to the crowd (and dinging me on the noggin in the process, ouch), frontman/guitarist Jimmy Skinny led No Dice on a set mixing original songs from the forthcoming new “Once, In a World” CD and some older material. This group’s base sound remains pop-edged punk and punk-edged pop; the new songs like “35 Minutes” and “DeLorean” demonstrated that this band has found their stride and comfortable middle ground between the two styles. No Dice also did a number of songs from their previous “High Numbers” CD, including “Turn Away,” “Twenty-Two,” “91 Duff Drive” and more. Jimmy, guitarist Jonny Elle, bassist Ricky Haze and drummer Mikey Millions sounded on the same page and tighter all-around as a unit, and again I was impressed with Mikey’s fast and furious drumming abilities – this guy can hammer! Jimmy’s voice and singing style were an acquired taste for me at first, but his presentation has evolved along with No Dice’s music, and appeared to be a better fit during this set. Jimmy has also evolved as an onstage personality, and effectively worked the young crowd and kept them involved in the show. I was glad to see No Dice’s forward direction and evolution during this set; this band has definitely improved and progressed!

No Dice takes the stage at the Arandale Elks.

Jimmy Skinny of No Dice.

Mikey Millions of No Dice.

Jimmy Skinny of No Dice takes it to the stagefront fans.

It was then Looking For June’s turn. Bolstered by some local radio airplay for their song “Don’t Break My Heart,” Looking For June had a lot of fans in attendance as they played their set, mixing punk/pop-leaning originals with a few covers. Bassist/singer Pat Lang, guitarist/singer Nick Raia, lead guitarist Nick Caminiti and drummer Jon Preston sounded sharp on original songs such as “Forever,” “Just Wanna Play,” “Far From Home” and the set-closing hit “Don’t Break My Heart.” The group also threw in an Eminem song and a high-speed version of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama (‘Ala-toona’).” Looking For June appears to get better each time I see them; as their sound becomes better defined. While their original songs are frequently catchy and ear-friendly, the group works a slight, edgy angst disposition into several of them; offering a unique slant. Instrumentally and vocally, Looking For June continues to tighten their presentation; this was the strongest set I’ve witnessed from them so far.

Nick Raia of Looking For June.

Jon Preston of Looking For June.

Looking For June lets it rip at the Arandale Elks.

The fans look on as Looking For June puts the finishing touches on their set.

Wrapping up the evening was Destroy Elroy with their fast, furious and fun brand of punk’n’roll. This group has expanded to a four-piece since I last saw them in action, with the addition of guitarist Tyler Rabold. Tyler, guitarist/singer Jarrod Spinazzola, bassist/singer Sam Edgar and drummer Jeremy Bickel did an all-original set, mixing songs from their recently-released self-titled EP and newer material. Destroy Elroy kept things uptempo with tunes like “The Song That Never Was,” “Too Good to Be True,” “Never Turn Away,” “Where It Ends,” and the new tune “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” with its accelerated ending. Destroy Elroy’s sound has evolved in the direction of a more raw, less polished Blink 182-type sound. While their tempo is usually fast, Destroy Elroy kept it together well; their go-for-broke delivery keeping the crowd attentive and into it the entire set. Destroy Elroy has made progress since I last saw them, and provided an enthusiastic set to end the evening.

Sam Edgar and Jarrod Spinazzola of Destroy Elroy.

Destroy Elroy in action at the Arandale Elks.

The new guy, Tyler Rabold of Destroy Elroy.

Jeremy Bickel of Destroy Elroy.

Once again, Jeremy Bickel of Destroy Elroy.

In the latter stages of their set, Destroy Elroy.

Overall, this was a good, fun show. Five up-and-coming young bands showed their stuff onstage, and an enthusiastic crowd of young fans stayed for the entire night and appreciated each. As mentioned before, the crowd was well-behaved, a cool display of young fans letting loose energy to their favorite bands, and channeling their energy towards something positive and creative. And if my getting beaned by a piece of flying candy during No Dice’s set was the only “violent” thing to happen during this whole show, that’s an acceptable trade-off! (I should have been paying closer attention anyway rather than writing chickenscratch on my writing pad.) I left the Arandale Elks Lodge this night feeling good about the local all-ages scene, encouraged by a show where everything went smoothly, and everyone got along. Very cool.

SKID ROW/KREEP/RETROACTIVE @ SHOOTERS, JOHNSTOWN 10/9/03

A pivotal night had arrived for Johnstown’s newest nightclub. The new Shooters was presenting their first national band, Skid Row. If all went well, this night could lead to more national bands coming to Johnstown on a regular basis.

This would actually be Skid Row’s second visit to the Johnstown area. The first happened during Skid Row’s initial late-80’s heyday, when they opened for Bon Jovi at Johnstown’s Point Stadium. Skid Row’s singer at the time, the legendary Sebastian Bach, left his mark, getting arrested after the Skids’ set for (I believe) disorderly conduct (something he frequently did at that time). Sebastian may have ticked off local law enforcement, but he and Skid Row won a number of fans in Johnstown that night.

Over a dozen years removed from that concert, things had changed. Skid Row had disbanded for a short while, and eventually reformed without Sebastian Bach as their singer. How appealing would this band be without their well-known original frontman? And who would show up to see them this night? Would the audience include survivors from that legendary Point Stadium concert, would there be a new generation of fans in attendance to discover Skid Row, would there be both, or would there be – ulp – neither?

The answer was quickly apparent as I entered Shooters this night – a large crowd had already amassed in the venue to take in this concert.

Day-job duties kept me from arriving early, thus I missed show openers RetroActive. Instead, I arrived midway through the set of the evening’s second band, Kreep. Not to be confused with the former Pittsburgh-based modern metal band Creep, this Kreep featured former Bile/Green Jello guitarist Bret Pirozzi, now handling lead vocals. Kreep’s sound was aggressive old-school metallic, with wall-of-sound rhythms and Bret’s fiery lead bark. Kreep did a number of original songs, including several from their new CD, “False Idol.” Out of the songs I witnessed, the highlight was “What?,” which turned into a crowd shout-along anthem. Kreep finished their set with a version of Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train.”

Bret Pirozzi of Kreep.

Kreep puts pedal to the metal at Shooters.

Kevin Delaney of Kreep.

One thing I quickly discovered upon entering Shooters this night: this show was LOUD! The combination of full-tilt volume and reverb from the room acoustics made it oppressive towards the front, especially if you didn’t have earplugs. And when I first arrived, I forgot my plugs in the car, so through Kreep’s set my ears were getting pummeled! Fortunately, though, help was on the way. Ray Buksa from Open Mic Sound & Light offered me a pair of foam earplugs, which I gladly accepted. Thanks Ray for saving my ears!

During the intermission I maneuvered my way towards the front of the stage area, and had a good vantage point to witness Skid Row’s set. The National Anthem played through the sound system as the house lights diminished, signifying the start to Skid Row’s set. The group surfaced onstage to the raucous cheers of the Johnstown crowd, opening the set with the title track from their new CD, “Thickskin.” Original guitarists Dave “The Snake” Sabo” and Scotti Hill, original bassist Rachel Bolan, plus more recent additions Johnny Solinger on vocals and Phil Varone on drums; knew what the crowd was there to hear, and they delivered it. Skid Row fired through favorites such as “Piece Of Me,” “Riot Act” and the hit “18 and Life.” Johnny immediately established a rapport with the crowd, working the stagefront and firing the fans up. Skid Row did another song off the new CD, “New Generation.” The group then did their updated uptempo version of the hit “I Remember You” off the new CD, as Johnny rallied the crowd to sing along. Other set highlights included one of my favorites, “Monkey Business,” before the group broke out another song from the new disc, “Lamb.” One of the set’s rowdiest moments was when the group then performed “Get The F**k Out,” with Johnstown Nation shouting along the chorus. Towards set’s end, Rachel Bolan fronted the group on a version of the Ramones’ “Psycho Therapy” dedicated I memory of Dee Dee and Joey Ramone, and Johnny introduced “I Remember You” once again, only this time the more traditional hit acoustic version of the song. This set the stage for the roaring set finale, the title from “Slave To The Grind.” Johnstown wasn’t done with Skid Row this night, and immediately demanded the group’s return for an encore. Skid Row returned to the stage and ended the night with “Youth Gone Wild.”

Skid Row purists might have dismissed this show going in, arguing that the headlining band this night wasn’t Skid Row without Sebastian Bach. As this show unfolded, though, current Skids frontman Johnny Solinger gave a good performance on his own terms. No, his vocal range wasn’t quite what Bach’s was, but he more than made up for it in enthusiasm and establishing quick and immediate rapport with the crowd. He worked the crowd well, expressing appreciation to the fans who continue to support Skid Row even though they are no longer the current flavor of the month on MTV. Johnny also told the audience that Skid Row was glad to be taking their show to the club stages like Shooters this night, and that they appreciated the clubs that still support real rock’n’roll on their stages. Dave “The Snake” Sabo and Rachel Bolan also hailed the crowd at points during the show, extending their appreciation for the support as well.

Skid Row played for keeps, generating excitement throughout their set to a constant, feverish pitch. This edition of the Skids played like their hearts were in it, and they actually wanted to be on the Shooters stage this night. They were taking it back to where they came from, the small club circuit. Each Skid Row classic brought loud cheers from the Johnstown audience. Instrumentally they were on target, and vocally Johnny Solinger did a satisfactory job overall; both he and Phil Varone seemed more solid and confident this night than the first time I saw this particular Skid Row lineup, opening for KISS a few years ago.

Slamming an exclamation point on their enthusiasm for the Johnstown fans this night, Skid Row staged a meet-and-greet and autograph session for the fans after the show.

For the first national band name to play at the new Shooters, this night seemed to go very well. Attendance was large, and the evening seemed to go off without any major problems. Excessive volume notwithstanding, this was a good show. It is hoped that this will be just the first national show at this venue, and that more big names will soon follow.

Johnny Solinger of Skid Row.

Scotti Hill of Skid Row.

’Hook ‘em Horns’ and Johnny Solinger of Skid Row.

Again, Johnny Solinger of Skid Row.

Dave “The Snake” Sabo and Johnny Solinger of Skid Row.

Johnny Solinger and Rachel Bolan of Skid Row.

Rachel Bolan of Skid Row.

Dave “The Snake” Sabo of Skid Row.

Phil Varone of Skid Row.

Once again, Johnny Solinger of Skid Row.

Again, Scotti Hill of Skid Row.

Showing his guitar to an ecstatic Shooters, Scotti Hill of Skid Row.

THE CONNIPTIONS @ CLUBCAR CAFÉ, ALTOONA 10/10/03

I started out this night by checking in with Johnstown-based rock’n’rollers The Conniptions, entertaining at Altoona’s Clubcar Café. Singer/guitarist Dave Meiklejohn, singer/bassist Duaine Detrick and drummer Tom Romanak have each been making music since the 1960’s; and I wanted to again see what assortment of tunes their experience might bring to the table.

As The Conniptions’ sets unfolded, the trio demonstrated that they were capable of performing nearly any era of rock, from early 60’s to present. Their primary focus was the 70’s and 80’s, as they performed classics from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, Tom Petty, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, ZZ Top and more. But the group could also break out early 60’s surf rock from Dick Dale; 60’s British Invasion from The Beatles and Yardbirds; new wave 80’s with Men Without Hats’ “Safety Dance;” and even current rock with The Hives’ “I Hate To Say I Told You So.” The Conniptions’ wide repertoire of song material enabled them to honor several audience requests along the way, and also allowed them to freewheel and mix things up.

Duaine and Dave split most of the lead vocal duties; both demonstrated respectable voices and good harmonies. As longtime music scene veterans, all three musicians were solid and steady on their respective instruments, and smoothly executed their diverse song material.

A cleaner sound mix would have improved The Conniptions’ overall presentation this night. But the group nonetheless received a favorable response from the Clubcar audience, which age-wise was almost as wide ranging as the age of the music itself. This night offered ample reason why The Conniptions, with their ability to play several decades’ worth of rock’n’roll, has become one of this region’s busiest bands.

The Conniptions, rocking the Clubcar.

Duaine Detrick of The Conniptions.

Dave Meiklejohn of The Conniptions.

Tom Romanak of The Conniptions.

Again, Dave Meiklejohn of The Conniptions.

THE COLLECTIVE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 10/10/03

Since The Conniptions finished up their show before 1 AM, I still had time to catch part of another show. Since it was relatively close by, I headed over to the 4D’s Lounge to take in the last set of the night from northeastern PA dance/funk juggernaut The Collective.

One of the Dees’ best draws these days, The Collective had a packed house as I arrived. The Collective was just into their final set of the evening, and had the populated Dees dance floor churning, bumping and grinding to their nonstop soul/funk/R&B/hip-hop grooves. The group had just unveiled their new EP, “Live Underground,” and was introducing songs from it, including “Let It Out” and “Baby Sister.” Frontmen Kermit and Xavier were working and rallying the dancing masses, keeping the mood and grooves upbeat and happy. A good portion of The Collective’s repertoire featured dancefloor hits and original material I didn’t readily recognize (I don’t listen to a lot of dance/hit music these days). I did hear the group mix in Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” towards the end of their show.

Beyond Kermit’s and Xavier’s abilities as sassy frontmen who emcee the party proceedings, their support cast of drummer Ed McGrath, bassist Iggy, guitarist Neil Nicastro and percussionist Matt Smallcomb keep the grooves tight and lively, with slinky rhythms and timely guitar and percussion spice along the way. Together as a whole Collective, this band seems to live for the joy of the live performance, and the adrenaline rush of inspiring packed dance floors and festive fans.

Although I was not there to witness it myself, I did hear one complaint about The Collective’s show this night – excessively long intermission. Two friends reported to me that the group’s intermission clocked in at around 45 minutes. I’m not sure if the group did two sets and took one long break (a more acceptable scenario), or if they did three sets with a long intermission between each. The majority of folks apparently weren’t too bothered with this development, as they obviously stuck around and kept the 4D’s packed through night’s end.

Length of intermission notwithstanding, The Collective has established one of the top-drawing onstage dance parties in this region, resulting in a packed room whenever they visit the 4D’s Lounge. Based on this night, that success should likely continue.

The Collective, laying down the groove at the 4D’s Lounge.

Kermit of The Collective.

Xavier and Kermit of The Collective.

Once again, Kermit of The Collective.

SEMICHROME @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/11/03

Several weeks removed from seeing them perform at the Rock The House benefit, I headed to Aldo’s this night to catch another look at Johnstown heavy rockers Semichrome.

Not surprisingly, given an unfamiliar out-of-town band playing at Aldo’s on a Saturday night, crowd was non-existent. Semichrome played for soundman Billy, the Aldo’s bar staff, one or two patrons seated at the main bar (not in the band room), and yours truly.

Semichrome made the best of it, firing through their mix of heavy current favorites and select 90’s covers. The group was appropriately thunderous on heavier tunage from Staind, Chevelle, Godsmack, Tool and others. The group also mixed in competent renditions of Smashing Pumpkins’ “Bullet With Butterfly Wings,” Toadies’ “Possum Kingdom,” Stone Temple Pilots’ “Sex Type Thing” and more. I also witnessed the group perform one nu-metal-geared original song, the title which I didn’t catch.

Despite the lack of crowd, Semichrome did a respectable job. Frontman Greg Cveykus executed full-vent on nearly every song; this guy sank a lot of emotional capital into his performance. Drummer Frank Tomaselli and bassist Chris Holsopple levied steady heavy and weighty rhythms throughout, and guitarist A.J. Hamara was effective both on his monstrous riffage and technical guitar displays. Perhaps a hair less crisp than Semichrome’s Rock The House performance a few weeks earlier, but understandable given the total absence of audience at Aldo’s to view them.

Alas, Semichrome chocked it up to the ever-popular “payin’ yer dues,” and understood that they were the relative unknowns in a new town and that there would be nights like this. Hopefully the group will gut it out and continue to work to win that Altoona foothold, and play and promote themselves into this town’s music fan lexicon. Semichrome is a band that deserves to be seen.

Greg Cveykus of Semichrome.

Chris Holsopple of Semichrome.

Frank Tomaselli of Semichrome.

Once again, Greg Cveykus of Semichrome.

Greg Cveykus and A.J. Hamara of Semichrome.

SCRIBEFEST 2003:

Anymore, I approach my annual birthday celebration as a bittersweet affair. Yes, I always look forward to celebrating and having fun on my birthday, but I’m increasingly wary of the bullseye that seems to land on my back each year, making me the target of everybody’s well-intentioned (liquor) shots. Having taken the day after my birthday off as a vacation day, I had no desire to spend the bulk of that vacation day worshiping the porcelain god, as I had the previous 2-3 years. So I was determined to have fun, but not overdo it. Thanks to designated wheelman Big Jim, I succeeded in having an enjoyable, but not nauseous, birthday experience.

Since I’m on the e-mail list of the Altoona Hooters, I received a birthday present from Hooters earlier in the week: a coupon good for ten free wings any time during the month of October. I decided to begin this year’s Scribefest celebration by enjoying the freebie wings at Hooters. I also knew that people celebrating birthdays at Hooters were often prompted to do crazy things by the Hooters Girls; a prospect that wasn’t undesirable to me. My sentence from the girls this night was to stand atop a bar stool and flap my ‘wings’ (two menus the ladies handed to me) while they did a chant in my honor. Cheap thrills on my birthday, what the heck?

WHAT do you ladies want me to do!?

Okaaaayyyy, if you insist…

The things I do for Hooters girls and free wings…

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/12/03

Following my free wings and initial debauchery at Hooters, the party eventually landed at the Hitching Post, where Felix & the Hurricanes were performing their weekly Sunday night gig. I was first blown away by how packed The Hitching Post was for the ‘Canes this night, and learned that most Sundays here are usually like this. Fortunately, even with the large attendance, there was a table open directly in front of the stage, and Big Jim and I procured it to do some Hurricaning during my birthday celebration. Almost immediately, the ‘Canes fired off “Backyard Rocker” from their new “Travelers Not Forgotten” CD (Thanks guys!) and a large Wild Turkey shot soon appeared in front of me…I was being “Turkemcized” for my birthday! (Thanks again guys!)

Lots of friends were in the house, including Big John and the Peter C’s contingent, “Pap,” Lovey and more. The Turkey, beer and blues were flowing, and all was well with the world.

The ‘Canes brought their A game this night (like they do every night), and made my jaw drop several times during their next set. I paid particular attention to Jeff Clapper’s bass sound this night, which had a Chris Squire-like quality to it. (Jeff later credited that sound to his 1970 Fender amp.) Jeff showcased some hot basswork during Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Mary Had a Little Lamb;” doing things with four strings that many aspiring guitarists wish they could do with six! Damn impressive! The Hurricanes mixed original tunes with classics from Fleetwood Mac, Ted Nugent, more Stevie Ray and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Lowe.”

During intermission, a young lady named Jess tried her hand behind Bob Watters’ drum kit; Felix and Jeff almost fired Bob and hired her on the spot (jokingly, of course). Highlights of the ‘Canes finale set included a free-form jam to open the set, a fiery take on Pat Travers’ “Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights),” a passionate rendering of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” and the tongue-in-cheek night-ending version of Dr. Hook’s “Cover of the Rolling Stone.”

The ‘Turkey, beer and Hurricanes grooves escalated Scribefest to a happy crescendo. With time left on the clock, the party then headed to another part of town…

Felix Kos of The Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Felix Kos and Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

Assisting me with my “Turkemcision;” The Hurricanes and Big John from Peter C’s.

The birthday boy and designated wheelman Big Jim.

The Hurricanes’ future drummer, Jess.

Relieved that he still has his job after Jess’ stunning audition, Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

GREEN EGGS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/12/03

After the Hurricanes finished up, we headed to Pellegrine’s for the Scribefest finale with Green Eggs. Pelly’s was the scene of the crime the past two years, where the seeds to Scribefest debauchery were sown with substances called firewater and Jagermeister. This year I was hellbent NOT to get into wrestling matches with my backyard furniture or convert again to sudden porcelain god worship. Thankfully, it was already late in the night, midway through Green Eggs’ final set, and I kept a low profile to avoid sudden mass deluges of shots. Guv’nor Jesse eventually caught up with me with two shots of Jager, but it was too little too late. I would survive and remember ALL of my birthday, and feel good enough the next day to get some good fishing in at Canoe Creek State Park.

I didn’t get to witness too much of Green Eggs’ set, except towards the very end. As expected, Green Eggs had Pelly’s dance floor near packed, and eating out of their hands as they generated a mostly nonstop modern rock/dance groove.

Another birthday adventure was complete. No hangovers or broken outdoor furniture, just the way I like it. Thanks to designated wheelmen Big Jim and Schtiv; Hooters for the free birthday wings; Felix & the Hurricanes for the ‘Turkemcision;’ everybody who contributed to the birthday festivities; and last but not least, the manufacturers of XO-3, the anti-hangover vitamin supplement, for making my “morning after” unmemorable and ordinary.

Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: