· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 9/8/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Dec 01, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 9/8/08

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 9/4/08

En route from work to home base, I stopped off at 30 Something to catch the remainder of this week’s edition of Thursday night Hurricaning.

Unfortunately, I was only one of a few who decided to do so this week. It was a slow week, with only a scant few hardy Hurricaniacs in attendance. I arrived in time to see the Hurricanes close out their second set with “La La Land” and “All Along the Watchtower;” and do a short nightcap set featuring Grand Funk Railroad’s “Closer to Home (I’m Your Captain),” a funk jam, the Jeff Clapper-sung rendition of the Beatles’ “Ticket to Ride,” and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy” to end the night.

The ‘Canes made it aound good; too bad there were not more ears within listening range to enjoy it this night.

FROM WITHIN/ANUBIS UNBOUND/SCATHE @ ALDO'S, ALTOONA 9/5/08

Metal was the order of this night at Aldo’s, as The Underground Television presented a hard-hitting triple bill featuring From Within, Anubis Unbound and Scathe.

Pittsburgh fivesome From Within was midway through their opening set when I arrived. I saw their last six songs, as they demonstrated a progressive-leaning style of hardcore metal. Their tunes featured involved melodies and varying chord and tempo shifts, topped by caustic, roaring vocals. The twin-guitar tandem of Collin and Tim showed some precision solo and harmony lead work, and the rhythm battery of drummer Adam and bassist John tightly gearshifted through the tempo changes to power things forward.

From Within, opening the night at Aldo’s.

From Within’s singer.

Tim of From Within.

Once again, From Within.

Second on the bill was a band out of the Baltimore vicinity, Anubis Unbound. Five members strong, this band exhibited a heavy, thrashy sound of the Shadows Fall/Killswitch Engage variety, blending detailed song arrangements with melodic and raging vocals. Frontman Justin Severn, guitarists Jarred Sleeth and Brian Smith, bassist Ryan Plunkett and drummer Tony Marley featured some song material from their latest CD, Through Cursed Eyes, such as “Last Day of Darkness.” Other highlights included the fierce and brutal “Heartless,” and the psychotic-tinged “The Circus in My Head,” which displayed more of a System Of a Down flavor. Justin was an animated performer who could rapidly gearshift between singing styles and intensities, while constantly on the move around the stage area. Instrumentally these guys were tight, precise and powerful. I liked what I heard from Anubis Unbound, enough so that I ended up buying one of their CD’s after their set.

Anubis Unbound.

Again, Anubis Unbound.

Justin Severn of Anubis Unbound.

Once again, Anubis Unbound.

Again, Justin Severn.

Jarred Sleeth of Anubis Unbound.

One more time, Justin Severn of Anubis Unbound.

Closing the show was Johnstown’s Scathe. In the midst of seeking a bass player, Scathe played without one this night; featuring two guitar players, Beach and John, along with Matt on drums and Stevil on throat. Scathe’s sound was consistent with their name; scathing, explosive Slayer-ish power metal, with elements of hardcore and grindcore mixed in. Although their arrangements didn’t come off as involved or detailed as the prior two bands, I thought Scathe did a good job of varying the blend of elements in their overall sound, keeping the set sounding fresh for the most part. I thought they managed quite well without a bass, with both guitars’ low tones able to mask the bottom-end absence to a degree. Scathe’s sound was fairly tight and consistent, as they did original numbers such as “Purify,” “The Restraining Order,” “Remember,” “Truth” and more. This was a respectable set, and Scathe appears to be a work in progress; it will be interesting to check back in with them once they fill in the missing piece of their band puzzle.

Johnstown’s Scathe, finishing out the bill at Aldo’s.

Beach of Scathe.

Stevil of Scathe.

John of Scathe.

Again, Beach of Scathe.

Once again, Stevil of Scathe.

In all, this was an interesting bill, and while Aldo’s wasn’t particularly packed, the folks who were there seemed to appreciate the bands’ efforts.

MAMA CORN @ ALTOONA FIRST FESTIVAL, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 9/6/08

This was the weekend of Lakemont Park’s annual Altoona First Festival, the apparent survivor of the ‘battle of the Altoona festivals’ after the Allegheny Mountain Convention and Visitor’s Bureau announced that they were not staging the Keystone Country Festival this year. As you’ll recall, the Keystone Country Festival called Lakemont Park its home for many years, before the Bureau suddenly announced they were pulling up stakes and moving the event to the newly-opened Blair County Convention Center. In its place, Lakemont started up the Altoona First Festival, and preserving many of the amenities of the Keystone Country Festival’s tenure, it attracted far bigger crowds than its predecessor at its new location.

Having said that, I do admit I’m a bit disappointed that, like the Keystone Country Festival before it, the Altoona First Festival only minimally features live music. Over the Friday night, Saturday and Sunday of this year’s Festival, the musical entertainment amounted to five bands and one strolling banjo player. Lakemont Park has two stage areas they could feature entertainment on. But it seems the organizers are content to run the Altoona First Festival as primarily a crafts event, and entertainment seems to be an afterthought. ‘Tis a shame, given the promise this event showed when they presented a busy entertainment schedule the first year as Altoona First.

Anyway, in spite of the threat of rains from Tropical Storm Hanna, I decided to take the chance of attending the Altoona First Festival this Saturday, to check in with local bluegrassers Mama Corn. Fortunately, the edge of Hanna’s rains never progressed further west than central Huntingdon County, and just clouds and a light breeze graced Lakemont Park as I arrived on the free shuttle bus from the Station Mall.

Mama Corn was getting ready to go as I procured my first foodstuffs from the nearby food pavilions and staked out a picnic bench viewing area. When I heard the band members jovially reference Cheech & Chong liners before their show, I knew we would be in for a good time.

Soon, the Mama Corn contingent of singer/guitarist Bruce Foor, singer/banjo man Jeremy Nelson, singer/dobro/harmonica man John Stevens, bassist Brett Famelli and mandolinist Brad Floyd got under way. Since forming last year, Mama Corn has grown and expanded their bluegrass repertoire to include a wide range of ‘grass-geared sounds, which they demonstrated during their trio of sets. Most of the group’s repertoire was time-honored traditional folk and bluegrass numbers along with old-timey classics from the catalogs of Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, Ralph Stanley and others. The group also did several original numbers, including some written by Jeremy’s father, Altoona bluegrass legend Ben Nelson. And as the performance continued, Mama Corn offered bluegrass-flavored renditions of tunes notably outside the bluegrass realm. The first set imbedded a ‘grass version of Crosby Stills & Nash’s “Helplessly Hoping” amongst such traditional fare as “Rain and Snow,” Ralph Stanley’s “How Mountain Girls Can Love,” Jimmy Martin’s “Hit Parade of Love,” “Aragon Mill” (which John thought might have originated from a local songwriter), “Wagon Wheels,” “These Old Blues,” “Fox on the Run” and more.

Mama Corn’s second set stirred the pot a little bit more, featuring bluegrass-flavored spins on Rick Nelson’s “Hello Mary Lou,” Grateful Dead’s “Cumberland Blues,” Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine,” and Pink Floyd’s “Fearless” along with more traditional fare as “Corn Bread and Buttermilk,” “Dark Hollow,” “Amazing Grace,” “Man of Constant Sorrow,” “Salty Dog Blues,” “Catfish John” and more. The group closed out the set with “Down Home Girl,” which John mentioned had been done by Old Crow Medicine Show; I recalled that Nazareth had done a version of that tune as well, on their Play’n the Game album.

With skies clearing, Mama Corn’s third set included traditional numbers like Bill Monroe’s “The Wheelhouse,” “Hot Corn Cold Corn” and “Working on a Building;” along with grassy versions of Men at Work’s “Down Under” (“It’s country music, just from somebody else’s country”), and Banjo & Sullivan’s "I'm at Home Getting Hammered (While She's out Getting Nailed)."

Mama Corn sounded good through most all of it. Their instrumental talents blended well, and their vocals and harmonies were tight and on the mark. And they had fun with their selection, mixing their tunes with grins and never taking themselves too seriously.

Although skies again looked threatening at the close of Mama Corn’s performance, they never did open up and pour down rain upon the proceedings. The audiences during the course of the group’s three sets seemed to enjoy what the Corn had to offer, and it’s likely a few new Children of the Corn came into the fold this afternoon.

Mama Corn, grassin’ it up at the Altoona First Festival.

Jeremy Nelson and John Stevens of Mama Corn.

Again, Mama Corn.

Uh Oh…I had my short and fat lens on for another John Stevens picture!

Bruce Foor of Mama Corn.

Brett Fanelli of Mama Corn.

Again, Jeremy and John of Mama Corn.

John Stevens, wailing some harmonica.

I noticed Brett's T-shirt logo at about the time that Mama Corn was doing “Hot Cold Cold Corn.”

Unicycling in to check out the bluegrass, Wade Henry.

KITTY WHIP @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 9/6/08

After resting up from my Altoona First Festival experience, I headed to 30 Something to catch an extended look and listen to local femme rock force Kitty Whip.

This night was a double-bill, but I arrived too late to see the openers, This Calling. But as fairly frequent flyers on Altoona area rock stages, I figured I would have more chances to see This Calling in the weeks ahead.

A good-sized crowd was on hand as I arrived, including a number of off-duty musicians this night. I noted members of Slacker Theory, The Embalmed and Spirit Lost in the house and taking in the proceedings.

Soon, Kitty Whip started into the first of their two sets. Singer Ruschelle, guitarist Dawn, bassist Kimi and drummer Christi proceeded to rock the house with their mixture of female-fronted rock and alternative sounds. Quickly I noted that this band was sounding tighter and more confident, and displayed more swagger as they performed such numbers as the Cranberries’ “Zombie,” Harvey Danger’s “Flagpole Sitta,” Alanis’ “You Oughta Know,” Hole’s “Celebrity Skin,” Garbage’s “Stupid Girl,” Blondie’s “One Way or Another” and more. Highlights included the Dawn-fronted version of The Breeders’ “Cannonball,” and Ruschelle’s varying intensity on a Jeckyl-and-Hyde rendition of “Sweet Dreams,” as she ran the gamut from Eurythmics-like verses to enraged Marilyn Manson-like choruses – wild!

I was clearly enjoying my musical whipping thus far. Clearly Kitty Whip was progressing nicely since Ruschelle’s arrival in the roster, and the whole band appeared more confident. Ruschelle’s vocals were commanding up front, and Dawn’s, Kimi’s and Christi’s backing harmonies sounded fuller and more complete as well. This group was stepping their game up, and having fun in the process.

The nightcap set stepped up the intensity, as Kitty Whip showed they could mix it up capably on the guy rock as well. This set featured strong renditions of Jane’s Addiction’s “Been Caught Stealing,” Limp Bizkit’s “Breakstuff,” Marilyn Manson’s “The Beautiful People,” Rage’s “Killing in the Name” and System of a Down’s “Sugar.” When Kitty Whip was called back for an encore at night’s end, they responded with Linkin Park’s “One Step Closer.”

Kitty Whip showed clear forward progress this night, in what was the strongest performance I’ve seen from them so far. And the 30 Something crowd seemed to agree, judging by the steady dance floor activity during the third set. Hopefully more good whippings are on tap, based on what I witnessed this night!

Dawn of Kitty Whip, singing lead on The Breeders’ “Cannonball.”

Kitty Whip, cracking the whip at 30 Something.

Ruschelle of Kitty Whip.

Again, Kitty Whip.

Again, Ruschelle of Kitty Whip.

Again, Dawn of Kitty Whip.

More Kitty Whippin.’

Christi of Kitty Whip.

Kimi of Kitty Whip.

Yet again, Kitty Whip.

Once again, Dawn of Kitty Whip.

Again, Kimi of Kitty Whip.

One more time, Ruschelle of Kitty Whip.

Once again (in my best South Park voice), Ki-miiiiiiii!!!

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 9/7/08

The end of my weekend again passed through Pellegrine’s, with Bad Daze providing the rock.

I arrived towards the end of the second set, in time to hear Bad Daze rocking a good-sized crowd in front of the stage with renditions of Rob Zombie’s “Dragula,” Godsmack’s “Whatever” and Disturbed’s “Stupify.”

The third set found the reliable foursome of singer Rob Carolus, guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and drummer Eric Wertz bringing the rock with tunes from Disturbed, Saliva, Good Charlotte, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Jimmy Eats World, Eminem, Rage Against the Machine and Godsmack. The crowd yelled for one more at set’s end, and the group responded with Metallica’s “Enter Sandman.”

It was pretty much a typical night at the office for Bad Daze, who again were firing on all cylinders to deliver a charged, exciting performance. This group continues to play with poise and confidence, and they kept the crowd fired up for the duration.

Another weekend, effectively sent into the books…

Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Bad Daze Rob Carolus.

Again, Paul of Bad Daze.

Eric Wertz of Bad Daze.

Again, Bad Daze Rob.

Again, Eric Wertz of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

More Bad Daze Rob.

Bad Daze, rocking Pellegrine’s.

Again, Kenny Murdick.

Rob and Kenny of Bad Daze.

Yet again, Bad Daze Rob.

One more time, Kenny and Rob of Bad Daze.

JP's HAIKU

Altoona First Fest
Mama Corn bluegrass hoedown
Escapes Hanna’s rains

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 20, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1