· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/20/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Dec 15, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/20/03

“NIGHTMARE ON ALDO STREET” WITH VERTIGO/ELECTRIC BLUE @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/17/03

Original local music was alive and well, and being supported at this double-bill at Aldo’s this night.

A good-sized crowd was already present as I entered Aldo’s early in Electric Blue’s set. And more people kept filing in through the door as the night progressed; by the time Vertigo took the stage, the crowd was large enough this night that Aldo could have opened up his back bar room – something that rarely happens any more!

Electric Blue was into an extended jam song as I arrived, I believe called “Shame On You.” Bassist/singer Sean “Seanson” Johnson (curiously decked out in a dress?), guitarist Jimmy Tangeman and drummer Jim Barry opened up with some funky free-form jamming. Eventually, the group continued with a competent version of Tool’s “Sober,” and followed with “Away” off their 3-song EP. The trio varied between original songs and current/classic rock numbers; introducing a new original, “Basement Song,” before proceeding with a Red Hot Chili Peppers tune. Electric Blue then tapped their blues roots, breaking out a version of Jimi Hendrix’s “Redhouse,” showcasing the fine axework of Jim Tangeman as he played behind his neck and ‘flossed’ a solo with his teeth. As what looked to be a Ben Stein ‘Clear Eyes’ bloodshot eyeball beach ball began to be tossed around stagefront by some of the group’s “Bluehead” fans, Electric Blue finished their set with their original tune “Shades of Blue.”

Again, it was fun to see how Electric Blue continues to evolve and develop; expanding their repertoire from their blues beginnings to grasp other styles and textures. As demonstrated during this set, this trio was unafraid to mix it up between blues, funk, jam, progressive and even metal elements; letting their collective mood dictate what directions their musical journey would venture in. Instrumentally all three showed ample solo skill, yet were all on the same page and executing well as a team. The musicianship was feisty and fiery, but the onstage mood was lighthearted and laid-back; and the large Aldo’s crowd gave Electric Blue’s set a favorable response.

This was my first time seeing Vertigo since Firefest in Tipton last summer. What a difference 16 months can make! At Firefest, Vertigo – then in the midst of some lineup shuffling – was struggling with cover songs, and obviously had some work ahead of them. But following that show, their lineup eventually stabilized, wrote original songs and recorded an album. As Vertigo’s set unfolded this night, the progress was evident as they fired through an almost totally original set of high-octane, driving punkish rock. Singer/guitarist Brandon, guitarist Jon, bassist Brad and drummer Toby have tightened up considerably as a unit, and Brandon’s addition gives Vertigo a solid and consistent voice up front. Their original tunes – including “Wait Til Then,” “The Vagrant,” “Routine,” “Hacked Up In Hollywood,” “Avalanche” and “Doormat” – leaned towards a punk-geared sound, but featured more complex melodies and song structures than is usually the norm for punkish rock. The group also mixed in select covers from No Use For A Name, Strung Out and the Misfits. Although it took a few songs for the Aldo’s audience to get what Vertigo was doing, the group earned more response as they progressed, and as they reached set’s end a few fans were in front of the stage and grooving. It was good to see that Vertigo has found their sound and voice, and based on this set, their future looks promising.

In all, a very good night, as one of the larger audiences Aldo’s has had in a while witnessed two up-and-coming, original-geared area bands with unique flavors, adventurous musical directions, and bright futures.

Sean Johnson of Electric Blue.

Jim Tangeman of Electric Blue.

Jim Barry of Electric Blue.

Dining on guitar strings, Jim Tangeman of Electric Blue.

Brandon and Jon of Vertigo.

Brandon of Vertigo.

Toby of Vertigo.

Once again, Brandon of Vertigo.

Brad of Vertigo.

Once again, Toby of Vertigo.

From another angle, Toby of Vertigo.

Jon of Vertigo.

PNEUMATIC/SILVER SUNDAY @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 10/18/03

This night I headed to Peter C’s for yet another local rock double-bill, featuring Silver Sunday and PnEumatic. I actually didn’t know it was a double-bill heading in (only PnEumatic was billed in the newspaper and on Peter C’s website).

Not knowing Silver Sunday was on the bill, I arrived most of the way through their opening set and only caught their last five songs, as the group again mixed up female-fronted current rock and eccentric takes on classics. Guitarist Buck Dickson was fronting the group on their oddball uptempo take on REO Speedwagon’s “Take It On The Run.” Frontlady Cathie then took over lead mic duties for Alanis Morisette’s “You Oughta Know,” and the Sheryl Crow take on Led Zeppelin’s “D’yer Maker.” Buck again assumed lead mic for Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend,” before Cathie sang lead on the set-closing version of Guns’n’Roses’ “Sweet Child of Mine.” What I heard from Silver Sunday sounded solid, and the group played it with fun and enthusiasm, and had the mid-sized Peter C’s crowd voicing their support after each song.

It had been a while since I had seen a full show from PnEumatic, and I was curious to see how this progressive-geared band has evolved since I last experienced them. Knowing that one of their preferences was Pink Floyd, I wasn’t surprised to see Pneumatic open up with several Floyd selections, including “Empty Spaces/Young Lust,” “Time” and “Comfortably Numb.” The latter song featured a strong atmospheric guitar solo display courtesy of guitarist Colton Fouse. The group then introduced several original songs, including “Blood Money.” These songs were geared more in the harder modern progressive vein circa the other band this group specializes in, Tool. A guest named Julie then stepped onstage to front PnEumatic on a version of Evanescence’s “Bring Me To Life;” she handled the vocal lead well, with frontman Chris Cramer providing solid backing vocals. The group continued with a version of Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer,” and after two more songs I didn’t recognize, A Perfect Circle’s “Judith” to end their first set.

PnEumatic saved their favorite group and forte – Tool – for the last set. Their second set was 100% Tool, as the group executed renditions of “Stinkfist,” “Sober,” “Aenima,” “Eulogy,” “The Grudge,” “Opiate” and more. PnEumatic again demonstrated that they can do Tool well; drummer Woo, bassist Scott (celebrating a birthday this night) and guitarist Colton answered the challenge posed by Tool’s intricate songs and rhythm/chord progressions, tightly executing each with math-like precision. Particularly impressive was Colton’s attention to texture and detail on his guitar, as he captured the mood and dynamic of each song and each portion of the song. Frontman Chris Cramer again captured the psychotic and haunting vibe and persona of Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan, investing full passion into his interpretations of the Tool material. I got the feeling from watching PnEumatic operating this night that this band treats Tool as a test, and their purpose in the evening is to see how accurately and tightly they can capture the unique mood and dynamics of Tool’s material. Their quest to excel on this material makes their show compelling and intriguing, and as they continued to execute this material to the best of their ability, applause became louder and more unanimous as the Peter C’s crowd appreciated their efforts.

At night’s end, the crowd demanded one more song, and PnEumatic answered with a version of System Of A Down’s “Sugar.”

As was the case the night before at Aldo’s, this night too was an impressive display, as two more aspiring young area bands with their own slants and flavors delivered the goods onstage; and gave notice that they are worthy of seeing increased action and attention on area stages.

Kicking off the night at Peter C’s, Silver Sunday.

Chris Cramer of PnEumatic.

Woo of PnEumatic.

PnEumatic gets ‘comfortably numb’ onstage at Peter C’s.

Colton Fouse of PnEumatic.

Scott of PnEumatic.

Once again, Woo of PnEumatic.

Once again for good measure, Woo of PnEumatic.

With power tools included, Cramer of PnEumatic.

Somebody apparently learned the hard way that it’s not chewing gum being sold out of Peter C’s men’s room vending machines…

FELIX & THE HURRICANES “BLUES CRUISE” ON BOARD THE “PROUD MARY” @ LAKE RAYSTOWN 10/19/03

With cold weather season just a few weeks away, Felix & the Hurricanes provided one more opportunity to get outside and enjoy fall colors and live blues rock on Lake Raystown, courtesy of this year’s autumn “Blues Cruise.”

The weather turned out to be splendid with mostly sunny skies and temperatures hovering around 60 as Big Jim, wheelman Guv’nor Jesse (driving his ‘classic’ Chrysler New Yorker, no less), Sparky D’Engineer and yours truly partook in the latest voyage of the “Proud Mary.” A near sell-out crowd was on hand to participate in the pre-cruise meal and the cruise itself – including representatives from The Flame Sky/Acid Reflux, Big Daddy & Baby Blue Eyes, Beyond Reason, Outta Control and 3 Broken Dolls all on hand; a contingent from Peter C’s; The (former) Goddess of Photo Processing, Michele from Lombardo’s; Rockpage Ron; Ramblin’ Rose, Peggy, and numerous other charter member “Hurricaniacs” and more.

I won’t go into explicit detail about the cruise itself, except to cite some of the highlights: Beyond Reason frontman Dan Myers II fronting the Hurricanes (and ducking under the Route 994 highway overpass, as water levels were still high) during Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps” and his own original song, “Lady Liberty,” which appears on the Hurricanes’ new “Travelers Not Forgotten” CD. Other highlights included Christa “Baby Blue Eyes” Cherry – celebrating a birthday this day – singing lead on “I Put A Spell On You; and a guest named Chuck doing a good job singing lead on Grand Funk Railroad’s “I’m Your Captain (Closer To Home).” And unlike the last summer Blues Cruise in August, no musicians dove into the drink this time (although Bob and Jeff almost threw Felix overboard).

I’ll let the photos below tell the rest of the story; but bottom line – it was a grand and glorious day on Lake Raystown with the Hurricanes’ autumn Blues Cruise, with the only lowlight of the day being the reality that we would have to wait at least another 8 months before we could do it again!

With another wild and crazy Hurricanes Blues Cruise set to begin, the U.S. Coast Guard prepares for a busy afternoon at Lake Raystown.

Bluesin’ and a-cruisin,’ Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Once again, Hurricane Bob.

Hurricaniac Rose and Guv’nor Jesse duck under Route 994.

Beyond Reason’s Dan Myers II and Hurricane Felix duck under Route 994.

Elated not to be decapitated, Dan Myers II and Hurricane Felix.

Designated videographer of the afternoon, Big Jim.

Felix and Bob of The Hurricanes.

Happy to be bluesin’ and a-cruisin,’ Hurricane Felix.

The Peter C’s contingent of Kelly, Jodie K and Tina, chiming in on backing vocals.

Special guest and birthday gal Christa Cherry ‘puts a spell’ on the Blues Cruise audience.

Upcoming bridge…DUCK!!!!!

You’re all going to get splitting headaches if you don’t DUUUUCCCKKKK!!!!!

Hurricaniac Peggy, making sure Hurricane Felix doesn’t hit his head on Route 994.

Special guest Chuck jams with Hurricane Felix.

Hurricaniac Peggy sings backing vocals with Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Hurricaniac Rose and the Captain of the good ship Proud Mary.

Enjoying life on the lower deck: Sparky, Big Jim and Guv’nor Jesse.

Michelle, Christa and friend; three ladies enjoying their Blues Cruise experience.

Another devout Hurricaniac enjoys life on the lower deck.

After an excellent Blues Cruise has concluded: Sparky, Guv’nor Jesse and Big Jim.

Guv’nor Jesse demonstrates his unorthodox technique for starting his ‘classic’ New Yorker…

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/19/03

Already riding high following the aforementioned Hurricanes autumn “Blues Cruise,” I headed to Pellegrine’s to end my weekend with Juiced providing the party. And what a party it was…

I arrived towards the end of Juiced’s first set, and only caught the tail end of their rendition of Rage Against The Machine’s “Bulls On Parade.” I quickly learned that after several weeks of speculation about a possible personnel change in the Juiced ranks, that drummer Don Carr had exited the band, and was replaced by former Heaven Tonight/Undergreen drummer Darrell Hetrick.

But during the group’s intermission, I was informed by one of her bandmates that Juiced frontlady Carrie Rapaport was celebrating birthday number 30 this night, and that I was to have my camera ready for the festivities during the second set. Suddenly the stakes on this night’s Juiced party increased dramatically; what craziness were we about to witness?

It wouldn’t take too long into Juiced’s second set to find out. After songs from Godsmack and Linkin Park, bassist Greg Folsom’s fronted version of Violent Femmes’ “Blister In The Sun,” the Carrie-fronted version of Ozzy Osbourne’s “No More Tears” and Bryan Adams’ “Summer of 69;” business onstage picked up. We pick up the action after “Summer of 69,” when a uniformed representative of law enforcement (whose law, we don’t know) stepped onstage, grabbed a microphone, and verbally busted Carrie for not being excited enough about her birthday. He then administered his sentence right then and there, first spanking Carrie and then proceeding to remove most of his clothes. For my own safety, I then stepped away from the front of the stage as a large portion of Pellegrine’s female population stampeded the stagefront area to witness this unorthodox brand of law enforcement firsthand! (Pellegrine’s male population would have their own reason to stampede the stagefront area a little later in the evening.) Musical action then resumed with a rowdy singalong version of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” plus tunes from Good Charlotte, Salt’n’Pepa, and Drowning Pool. During Beastie Boys “Fight For Your Right (To Party),” Pellegrine’s male populace received their own treat when two women, one a local stripper, demonstrated a display of public womanly affection for one other onstage, while Carrie and her bandmates did their best to maintain their composure! Cheap thrills abounded this night!

With this wild and crazy second chapter of the evening setting the stage, Juiced’s third set was an all-out high-octane party, featuring familiar favorites from Beastie Boys, Ramones, House Of Pain, Limp Bizkit, James, Rick Springfield and more Rage Against the Machine. Along the way, keyboard man Doug Buch crooned Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” as a number of dancing female audience members congregated around him onstage; guitarist Norm Marks fronted the group on Dion’s “Runaround Sue;” and the group broke out a version of The Cars’ “Magic” I’ve not heard them do before. When Pelly’s demanded an encore at night’s end, Juiced sent the weekend home in rowdy fashion with Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It.”

At night’s end, frontlady Carrie had survived her celebration of birthday number 30, and that celebration elevated Juiced’s party into one of the more memorable ones I’ve witnessed lately. It slammed the exclamation point on a great Sunday, and a fun weekend!

Carrie of Juiced is frisked by an officer of ‘the law.’

This officer shows an unusual way of ‘subduing’ his prisoner.

Norm Marks of Juiced.

Whistling following her ‘arresting’ evening, Carrie of Juiced.

Once again, Carrie of Juiced.

Two ladies, obviously enjoying each other’s company onstage with Juiced…

Whoooaaaahhh!!!!

New drummer Darrell Hetrick of Juiced.

Greg Folsom of Juiced.

Again, Darrell Hetrick of Juiced.

Yours truly and Juiced's birthday girl celebrate after the show.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: