· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 11/17/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Jan 12, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 11/17/03

“SHADOWS OF THE KING” (ELVIS TRIBUTE) @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/13/03

Picture this scenario…August 16, 1977. Elvis didn’t die while seated on the throne at Graceland. Instead, he regained consciousness at the hospital, and the death scare convinced him to go into detox and clean himself up. He then left music for a brief period, working a series of menial jobs – driving trucks, pumping gas, and slinging hash at greasy spoons across the country – resulting in numerous Elvis “sightings.” Eventually, though, the music bug bit him again, and Elvis cautiously re-entered the music business, determined not to let the demons of the big-time music industry conquer him again. He instead started playing the bar circuit, cleverly mimicking himself in an Elvis tribute act called Shadows Of The King.

Elvis arrived at City Limits this night, first appearing as his pre-made-up-as-Elvis-normal-guy-alter-ego, Jamie Harris. Assisted by his trusty sidekick/stage manager Cletus and his wife Michelle, Elvis…errrr…Jamie – set up the stage and background music for this latest chapter of “Elvis, The Bar Heckler Years.”

As I arrived, The King…errrr…”Shadows Of The King” – was in the midst of telling bar gig war stories to the smallish Thursday night City Limits audience. I seated myself at an open table, and watched as Elvis launched into “Little Sister.” Elvis’ voice was in good form, and although his diet of peanut butter and pickle sandwiches has made him a bit portly these days, The King has reportedly been doing some time in the gym; he mentioned his bench-press regimen and body-building program several times during the performance. Elvis chatted with the audience, and introduced his 1972 version of “You don’t Have to Say You Love Me” and “Unchained Melody.” The King then solicited requests from the audience, and honored a request for one of his early classics, “Heartbreak Hotel.”

I had noticed early on after my arrival that there was good-natured, friendly banter going on back and forth between Elvis and the audience. His years on the bar and nightclub circuit had served him well; Elvis had become adept at dealing with the good-natured heckling he was receiving onstage, quickly firing back witty answers. One heckler in particular, though, seated at the table next to me early on, was hilarious! As Elvis pondered what song to do next with sidekick Cletus, the heckler quickly yelled out, “Put the pills back in your pocket!” This had me laughing hysterically and uncontrollably for at least the next half hour!

Eventually Elvis and Cletus reached a decision, and proceeded with “Kentucky Rain.” This was followed by “Love Me Tender,” during which Elvis ventured off the stage and into the audience, adorning swooning ladies with sashes and handkerchiefs as he made his way around the room.

As The King made his way back to the stage, I recognized Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys bassman Randy Ketner and wife Elaine seated on the other side of the room, and I took up new position in the empty booth behind them. Randy informed me that Elaine was a huge Elvis fan, and they both had to come out and see what Shadows Of The King was all about.

Back onstage, Elvis picked up the tempo with an audience request for “Burning Love,” although he said he was too old to do the sliding around the firepole routine of his youth. The King then followed with his 1976 hit “Moody Blue,” tapped his gospel roots with “How Great Thou Art,” and inspired the City Limits barmaid contingent to bust a few moves on the dance floor with “Big Hunk O’Love.”

At this point, another moment of Elvis indecision resulted in another hilarious outburst from the aforementioned heckler, who responded with his own Elvis impersonation, quizzically pondering,” Where’s my peanut butter and pickles?” Eventually, The King decided upon “I Can’t Stop Loving You,” and proceeded with “My Way,” “American Trilogy” and “For the Good Times.” Elvis continued working the audience, and even posed and had photos taken with ladies and fans as he sang. The King entered his finale for the evening, closing strong with “Morning Rain” and his ever-popular “Can’t Help Falling In Love.”

Elvis…err…”Shadows Of The King” – did a good job in this setting. He sang, posed and captivated just like he did in those latter Vegas years, and obviously staying on the wagon has done him good; the King was in fit shape, and able to handle the rigors of bar touring. His sidekick, Cletus, received applause from the audience for his assistance in choosing the King’s wardrobe, while wife Michelle was cheered for keeping Elvis’ background music selections piping through Zilly’s sound board in a quick and timely manner.

It was interesting to see how the City Limits audience – most in their 20’s – responded to seeing a legend like The King, performing music their parents grew up to. It proved that Elvis’ music was universal, as this new generation of fans cheered after each song; and The King still has his charm, as the ladies showed their adoration for The King throughout the evening.

These days, The King resides in the Pittsburgh area (Graceland brings back bad memories), but still makes regular appearances in Vegas and Branson, Missouri. According to his website, www.shadowsoftheking.com, he is playing throughout western PA in the next few months, including Ridgeway and Clymer. It’s good to see that The King is taking his show to the far reaches of rural Pennsylvania.

The question was decisively answered this night: The King lives, and is playing in bars; and his “Shadows Of The King” tribute was a good time, providing all the joy of Elvis plus interactive bar heckling, too!

(Shadows of) The King, working his magic with the ladies at City Limits.

Elvis, asking Natalie Pellegrine if Pelly’s serves peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

Natalie gets serenaded by The King.

Back on stage, Elvis in all his glory.

”Big finale, folks, big finale!”

Just a hunk-a-hunk-a-burning love…

The King makes another lady’s night special…

FELIX & THE HURRICANES (& FRIENDS) @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 11/13/03

As “Shadows Of The King” had finished up before midnight at City Limits, this gave me ample time to head over to Peter C’s to check in with Felix & the Hurricanes. A phone call to the station earlier this afternoon had tipped me off that several guest musicians would be in the house this night, and a forecast that onstage jamming was imminent.

I arrived to find that this forecast was true; as Felix, Bob and Jeff were joined onstage by former U.S. House Band keyboard man and singer Mark Rossi, and Backdraft singer/guitarist Brian Cupples. With this combination onstage, the Peter C’s audience was being treated to plenty of quality musicianship, plus a lot of songs not heard on this stage since the days of the U.S. House Band. Brian fronted the group on a version of the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose’s “Too Late To Turn Back Now.” Reminiscent of the U.S. House Band days, the musicians then broke into a salsified Latin jam treatment of “All Along the Watchtower,” which featured an action-packed trade-off duel between Felix’ guitar and Mark’s keys. Mark’s keys also provided an extra dimension to the ‘Canes’ version of the Allman Brothers’ “Jessica.” The group broke out a double shot of “Blues;” Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison” and the Allman Brothers’ “Statesboro,” the latter with some scorching Felix Kos slidework. Then a double-shot of Cream, “Sunshine Of Your Love” into “Crossroads.” Mark Rossi then took the spotlight for a version of Bruce Hornsby’s “The Way It Is,” as he demonstrated some dazzling ivory-tickling over the song’s course. The group then returned to the Allman Brothers for a fiery rendition of “Whipping Post.” Felix remarked that the sensation onstage this night felt like the U.S. Hotel circa 1987; and indeed, it felt like the spirit of the U.S. Hotel weekly Wednesday night jam was alive and well this night. Mark’s keys led the group into a version of Joe Cocker’s “Feelin’ Alright,” and the band continued with a version of War’s “Low Rider” that featured some playful beer bottle percussion and Mark teasing a few lines from Nilsson’s “Coconut” during midsong. By this point, the clock on the wall was pushing 2 AM, and this fun jamfest drew to a close.

It was good to see Mark Rossi back in action this night, and to see him and Felix mixing it up on their respective instruments. This night had an upbeat, playful vibe reminiscent of those magical Wednesday nights at the U.S. Hotel a decade ago. It was a fun night; here’s hoping we get to see a sequel sometime soon!

Mark Rossi and Hurricane Felix.

Bob Watters, Jeff Clapper, and Backdraft’s Brian Cupples.

Felix Kos of The Hurricanes.

A little beer bottle music from Mark Rossi and Hurricane Felix.

INFUSED @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 11/14/03

Original music was on my agenda this night, as I took in up-and-coming Altoona-based original rockers Infused, showcasing their musical creations at Peter C’s. I had seen bits and pieces of Infused once or twice before, but this would be the first night I would get an extended look at the group, and get a fuller picture of what they had to offer.

Attendance was light as I arrived during the intermission between Infused’s first and second sets. Soon singer/guitarist Shawn Huss, lead guitarist Rod Skelley, bassist Bill Fischer and drummer Ed Longo reconvened onstage. As their set unfolded, Infused demonstrated a sound that incorporated elements of both classic and current rock. The songs each contained solid, classic-geared melodies, defined by Shawn’s soaring, driving vocals and Rod’s inventive, texture-shaping leads and riffs. Around these melodies, the group effectively infused elements of blues, jazz and hard rock; crafting an eclectic style that at times hinted at earlier U2 and Pearl Jam. The group’s collective style was demonstrated best during this set by songs like the slower “The Way You Crawl,” the midtempo “Don’t Shoot Anymore” and “Within,” highlighted by Rod’s crisp leadwork. “Tomorrow” had a more modernish feel, while “Upstream” (a carryover from Rod’s and Shawn’s previous group of the same name) leaned heavier. And “Silence of Rain” demonstrated a bluesier presentation suggestive of early Led Zeppelin.

Infused’s final set of the evening also showcased some interesting and unique sounds. The set opened strong with the Pearl Jam-flavored “Who Stole the Sun,” followed by the slower-tempo “Coming Home.” Other standout originals included the midtempo “See Through Thing,” the uptempo and modernish “Your New Place,” and the intense blues-driven closer “Since You Let Me Down.”

At this stage of their development, Infused is coming together well, with the various aspects of their sound gelling nicely into a varied, eclectic style that defies categorization. Ed and Bill solidly anchor the sound with their steady beats and rhythm. Rod used his guitar textures to flavor the mood of each piece, and used his expressive soloing to emphasize climactic high points in the songs.

Infused appeared a bit nervous and timid throughout the performance, but should continue to gain confidence as they log more stage hours under their belts. The important thing is that this band is crafting their own unique sound, methodically taking it forward and not succumbing to current influences or trends. If they stick to their guns, continue to develop and define their own sound, and continue to put it out there on stages like Peter C’s for people to experience, Infused should soon develop a core base of fans who ‘get it,’ and appreciate their creations as something that isn’t shaped by what is currently on the radio or television. This night gave me a better overview of what Infused is about, and established this group as another area band with a unique vision that deserves to be further developed.

Shawn Huss of Infused.

Bill Fischer of Infused.

Again, Shawn Huss of Infused.

Again, Bill Fischer of Infused.

Infused, introducing Peter C’s to their unique musical world.

Once again, Shawn Huss of Infused.

Rod Skelley of Infused.

Ed Longo of Infused.

NEVERMOURE…ERR…VS. THE EARTH @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/15/03 (ALL AGE)

Today would be the day one of the worst-kept secrets on the area music scene would be revealed, at least to fans in the Altoona area: Nevermoure was changing their name.

Their new monicker: Vs. The Earth. Nevermoure had started using the name with their Baltimore area shows several weeks before, but were using this Saturday – with both an all ages show and an evening over-21 show – to officially unveil the name change here in the Altoona area.

Household duties prevented me from arriving at the all ages matinee show at City Limits until Nevermoure – errr…Vs. the Earth – was already onstage; and as a result, I missed the opening sets by Chapter 5 and Looking for June. The group’s big, new ‘Vs. the Earth’ global-styled banner hung on the wall behind them on stage. While not packed, a healthy audience of young fans was on hand to witness singer Adam Marino, guitarist Mike Ritchey, bassist Big Dawg and drummer Shawn Hocherl as they showcased their original songs, with a sprinkling of cover favorites mixed in. The highlights of this particular show included a new original song, “Friend Zone,” a punchy and perky slice of melodic punk-driven rock which quickly won over fans; also Adam’s solo acoustic performance of the ballad “Carolina Sky;” and established Nevermoure favorites like “She Rocks Me,” “Psycho,” “The American Teenage Anthem” and more. As expected, the band’s performance was crisp and sharp on all fronts, and the group coordinated and choreographed the tunes into a cohesive rocking party that flowed along well. Also as expected, fans were frequently singing the choruses of the group’s original songs back to the band onstage – clear cut evidence that whatever their name is these days, this band’s musical message still connects with its fan base.

Judging by the response here, Nevermoure’s metamorphosis into Vs. the Earth went over satisfactorily with the under-21 fans, and the first half of this day’s doubleheader went smoothly. Later in the evening, I would check back in to see how the over-21 portion of the group’s fan base would respond.

Vs. The Earth entertains the all ages crowd at City Limits.

Adam Marino of Vs. The Earth, performing his solo acoustic version of "Carolina Sky."

Mike Ritchey of Vs. The Earth.

Vs. The Earth takes on the world at City Limits.

Once again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. The Earth.

Shawn Hocherl of Vs. The Earth.

Vs. The Earth rallies fists in the air during “The American Teenage Anthem.

So it’s Ritchey knocking those ceiling tiles out of place…

Adam Marino of Vs. The Earth, singing to the young fans at City Limits.

Once again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. The Earth.

Big Dawg of Vs. The Earth.

SAUCE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 11/15/03

With several options to choose from this night, I decided to start out my Saturday night bandwatching by taking in a band I hadn’t seen yet, Sauce, making their second appearance at the 4D’s Lounge.

The group was into their first set as I arrived, and attendance was relatively light in the early going, which enabled me to find an open table rather easily. Comprised of singer Marci Cressman, lead guitarist Jason Rubright, bassist Scott Maulick and drummer Bryan Ross; Sauce was performing current rock cover favorites. The first three songs I witnessed – Jimmy Eats World’s “Middle,” Harvey Danger’s “Flagpole Sitta” and No Doubt’s “Just A Girl” – worked well, and I quickly was impressed with Marci’s bright and potent performance. She demonstrated a clear and rangeful voice, plus lots of spunk and excitement as she moved about the stage and tried to rally the 4D’s audience to get onto the dance floor. However, the next two songs – System Of A Down’s “Chop Suey” and “Aerials” – didn’t work. Marci’s voice and style just didn’t match this type of heavier, more aggressive song material, and she sounded out of place on these two songs. In addition, the group’s backing vocals didn’t gel on the chorus harmonies, either. The group arrived at their first intermission; and for me, my verdict on Sauce was very undecided at this point.

Fortunately, though, Sauce’s second set made a better impression on me. The group effectively mixed up current favorites, a few classics, new wave and 80’s pop into a cohesive, upbeat set devoid of the out-of-place aggressive metal that hindered their first set. Frontlady Marci strapped on her acoustic guitar and did decent work on the Cranberries’ “Zombie;” and she also showed her abilities on keys during a version of Kim Wilde’s/The Muffs’ “Kids In America.” Again Marci demonstrated an exciting style and presentation, as she led the group through bright renditions of Sublime’s “What I Got,” The Strangeloves’/Bow Wow Wow’s “I Want Candy,” and the 80’s female-fronted medley of Joan Jett’s “I Hate Myself for Loving You,” the GoGos’ “We Got The Beat” and Toni Basil’s “Mickey.” Jason’s guitar skills surfaced more during this set as well, as he showed the knack for varying his guitar sound and effects to add flavor to the individual tunes; and he demonstrated his shredding capabilities on the set-closing version of Living Colour’s “Cult of Personality.”

I left the 4D’s after this set, but came away with a better impression of Sauce after this set than I did after witnessing their first. Sauce seems to be a work in progress; the ingredients seem to be there for this band to rise into a prominent party force in the region. Hopefully they’ll develop more of a focus of their collective strengths and weaknesses, and gear their presentation towards those strengths. For the moment, Sauce offered enough strong moments here that I’ll keep an eye on them.

Marci Cressman of Sauce.

Scott Maulick of Sauce.

Sauce, rocking out at the 4D’s Lounge.

NEVERMOURE…ERR…VS. THE EARTH @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/15/03 (OVER 21)

At this point, I returned to City Limits to check in on the nightcap half of the Vs. The Earth doubleheader, to see how the over-21 world responded to the name change. As expected, a packed house was on hand as the former Nevermoure commenced their final set of the night. Frontman Adam Marino strapped on his acoustic and opened the set with “Carolina Sky.” The group pulled out more cover material for this nightcap performance, mixing heavier current rock favorites like Disturbed’s “Sickness” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing In The Name” with classics like Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” KISS’ “Rock and Roll All Night,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama (‘Ala-toona’)” and Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville.” The group again introduced their newest original song, “Friend Zone,” and it again met with immediate and unanimous approval from the stagefront audience. And when the crowd demanded the encore at night’s end, Vs. The Earth responded with “The American Teenage Anthem.”

A little rowdier and moure beer-soaked than the earlier matinee edition, this was again a good time, and Nevermoure again announced their segueway into Vs. The Earth without inciting any violent rioting. The group’s Ravens were there to party and have a good time, no matter what the group was now calling itself. The name has been changed, but the songs remain the same. And for this group’s fans, that is ultimately the bottom line.

8 hours later, Big Dawg of Vs. The Earth.

Vs. The Earth, entertaining the over-21 masses at City Limits.

Shawn Hocherl of Vs. The Earth.

Adam Marino of Vs. The Earth.

A little psychedelic Adam for you 60’s kids…

On the waning stages of another successful night, Vs. The Earth.

EMILY’S TOYBOX @ THE CASTLE PUB, EBENSBURG 11/16/03

Able to escape the workplace a little earlier than usual this night and feeling ambitious, I decided to go for the roadtrip up the mountain, and headed to the Castle Pub in Ebensburg; to allow Emily’s Toybox to slam the lid on my weekend.

Emily’s Toybox chicanery was already hot and heavy as I arrived during the group’s second set. Toybox lead wildman Mike Wise and the band had just started a funky interlude that eventually led into a funky take on Bad Company’s “Feel Like Making Love;” Mike’s rap during this interlude prompted me to coin this version of the Bad Company classic the ‘Louis Farrakhan remix version.’ Already, I knew I was in for a good night.

Although not a packed house, the Castle Pub crowd was clearly into Emily’s Toybox’s party at this point as well. As the group veered into Jimmy Eats World’s “The Middle,” a few stagefront ladies jumped atop the floor speakers and strutted their best dance moves. Mike instigated the traditional Toybox linedance lesson during the original favorite “Dear,” followed by takes on Sublime’s “Santeria” and the Todd Sensenich-fronted version of Good Charlotte’s “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.” After a brief pause for a naughty redneck singalong, Mike and Emily’s Toybox delivered a slamming ‘oi’ version of Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville.” The action continued with a version of Nirvana’s “Rape Me,” and the Leon Karpovich-fronted version of House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” which led into a brief hip-hop medley. More Toybox original song chicanery ensued with “Dick,” before the group stomped the set to intermission with Disturbed’s “Sickness.”

During intermission, Mike informed me that Emily’s Toybox was set to release a new live album early in the new year. I informed Mike of one of my resolutions for the forthcoming new year: to create a ‘radio-friendly’ edit version of the group’s rowdy original “Road Rage” to play on the “Backyard Rocker” in 2004. Ever hear the version of Adam Sandler’s novelty hit “Piece of S**t Car” with all the car and truck horns used for bleeping out cuss words? I think that would be perfect for “Road Rage!”

I digress. Something totally surprising and unexpected happened to kick off Emily’s Toybox’s nightcap set of this evening: a serious moment! Mike dedicated the group’s original song “Remember Me” in memory of Pennsylvania State Police trooper Joseph Sepp, who was shot and killed in the line of duty in downtown Ebensburg nearly a year ago. The group’s craziness then kicked back into high gear with their funny and acidic “Your Girlfriend Is Ugly.” After songs from Linkin Park and Greenday, another funny highlight was guitarist Todd Sensenich offering his Sean Connery interpretation of Violent Femmes’ “Blister In The Sun.” This set the stage for the madcap homestretch run, as Emily’s Toybox fired off such original song mayhem as “Bionic,” “Back of the Bus,” an abbreviated version of “Road Rage” (the lack of crowd prompted Mike to keep his midsong rant short), and the group’s loving tribute to ‘Mom’ that appears as the bonus track on their 25/7 CD. And the group also worked in an audience request for “Free Bird” in their own unique way, with the band members ‘flipping the bird’ in the general direction of the request (“Here’s your FREE BIRD!”)

Attrition took its toll on the Castle Pub audience during the group’s final set, leaving the diehard Toybox fans to cheer the group in the set’s waning moments. But it was still enough of a crowd to loudly demand an encore, so the group delivered one, ending the night with their “lighthearted and heavy-farted” heavy metal medley of Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades” into Metallica’s “For Whom The Bell Tolls,” capped by the rowdy redneck singalong “F**king In The Mud.”

As Emily’s Toybox shows go, this was a good one, filled with plenty of the group’s trademark highjinks and unexpected twists and turns. The lack of large crowd probably diminished the intensity and insanity of the group’s performance somewhat, but this was still a fun and rowdy show, and well worth the roadtrip up the mountain to check out.

Wade Corbin and Leon Karpovich of Emily’s Toybox.

Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox.

Again, Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox.

Todd Sensenich of Emily’s Toybox.

Emily’s Toybox, rocking the Castle Pub.

Again, Todd Sensenich of Emily’s Toybox.

Again, the ever-insane Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox.

More Emily’s Toybox insanity…

Once again, Emily’s Toybox lead nutcase Mike Wise.

Yet another gratuitous Emily’s Toybox photo…

Wade Corbin of Emily’s Toybox.

There he is again, Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox.

Once again, Todd Sensenich of Emily’s Toybox.

With sticks glowing, Wade Corbin of Emily’s Toybox.

One more time for insanity’s sake, Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: