Sheetz - Made To (Court) Order...
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
4:33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 17, 2009 

SHEETZ STATEMENT ON SUPREME COURT RULING

Altoona, PA — June 16, 2009 — In light of a ruling by the State Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Stan Sheetz, President and CEO, Sheetz, Inc., has issued the following statement:

"It is unfortunate that we must disappoint our customers and suspend the sale of malt beverages at our Convenience Restaurant in Altoona, Pennsylvania. The decision made by the State Supreme Court to uphold a lower court's decision and revoke our liquor license for that location is yet another setback in our effort to provide customers the freedom to purchase alcoholic beverages at the Convenience Restaurant.

This decision highlights the outdated and complex nature of the Commonwealth's current liquor laws and the need for legislation to change them. While we are not happy with the Court's latest ruling, we will respect it and cooperate with the PLCB.

Sheetz is committed to continue to work toward a solution that will make this product available for our customers who believe they should be allowed to purchase beer in a more convenient setting."

Eff the LCB!
 Back to top »
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Is it because they won't allow patrons to drink on the premises?

I thought that's what I heard on the radio.
bassist_25

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
JackANSI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Workin' in a Soylent factory, Waitin' for the Malthusian catastrophe.

I wonder how much money someone spent just to remove beer from sheetz shelves.

Especially when you've got Robert's Bev nearly right across the street...

PA makes no sense.
 Back to top »
ZappasXWife

I guess Wegman's is next....bummer cuz thats where I get the good stuff.
onetooloud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sounds like Sheetz could be a powerfull friend to amend some old unjust LCB rules.

Think noise problems .
 Back to top »
Lisa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The issue with Sheetz is that they don't have a dining area where people can sit down and enjoy their beverages. This would also require a bartender to serve the in-house consumed beverages as the law states that the server may not be drinking. Also, when you allow for on premise consumption, your insurance goes way up. And there is not a lot of profit in the sale of the beverages.

They can not get a distributor license because of the rules that apply with that....I think there are limitations as to what other products you may sell as a distributor.

Wegmans is good yet because they have the cafe. You actually purchase the product closed as a to go, but are permitted to go in and sit down at the cafe and consume it. I do know that with Wegmans you are not permitted to take the alcohol into the full store area. It has to stay in the cafe area.

I question the policy for wegmans in that there is no one in the cafe that checks to see that everyone at the table are over the age of 21 when even just one of them has alcohol. The person who purchased it was carded I'm sure...but the law says in order for someone under 21 to be at the table with the alcohol, they must have a guardian. A guardian is someone who is 25 years of age or a parent.
 Back to top »
slackin@dabass
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Lisa wrote:
The issue with Sheetz is that they don't have a dining area where people can sit down and enjoy their beverages. This would also require a bartender to serve the in-house consumed beverages as the law states that the server may not be drinking. Also, when you allow for on premise consumption, your insurance goes way up. And there is not a lot of profit in the sale of the beverages.

They can not get a distributor license because of the rules that apply with that....I think there are limitations as to what other products you may sell as a distributor.

Wegmans is good yet because they have the cafe. You actually purchase the product closed as a to go, but are permitted to go in and sit down at the cafe and consume it. I do know that with Wegmans you are not permitted to take the alcohol into the full store area. It has to stay in the cafe area.

I question the policy for wegmans in that there is no one in the cafe that checks to see that everyone at the table are over the age of 21 when even just one of them has alcohol. The person who purchased it was carded I'm sure...but the law says in order for someone under 21 to be at the table with the alcohol, they must have a guardian. A guardian is someone who is 25 years of age or a parent.

i thought this whole thing was over a resturant owned by sheetz that was attached to a sheetz. at least that's how the altoona mirror made it sound. regardless, it's pretty sad when florida allows it's rednecks the ability to purchase beer in a convenience store, but here in the "much more advanced and free thinking" north, it's a no go.

fuck the plcb. fuck them up the ass with razor blades. and i hope someone from the plcb reads that.
Lisa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No, it states that sheetz would consider remodeling to make it work where a restaurant would have a convenience store attached.
 Back to top »
songsmith

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 18, 2009 

JackANSI wrote:
I wonder how much money someone spent just to remove beer from sheetz shelves.

Especially when you've got Robert's Bev nearly right across the street...

PA makes no sense.

Robert's Bev is part of the reason they can't sell beer now. The owner is a member of the Malt Bev Retailers Assoc., who did NOT welcome competition from a large and well-connected company like Sheetz. They lobbied the LCB for special treatment. So much for the free market.--->JMS
 Back to top »
Unholy

Post Posted: Sunday Jul 12, 2009 

Yeah PA is ass backwards. Someone somewhere must be making a lot of money controlling the alcohol being sold in PA cause I just don't see any other reason why a Sheetz, BP, or Sonoco can't sell booze in their store. I've been to many places outside of PA and there's not much problem with have soda in a fridge next to some beer or wine or whatever. Hell even Wal-Mart sells booze in other states, they just have rule that says they aren't allowed selling it unless it's between certain times.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: