· The Final Cut
$80,000 per download !!!!
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
rickster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 18, 2009 

ok, so downloading music is wrong....I get it..But Come on!!!!

A federal jury ruled Thursday that Jammie Thomas-Rasset willfully violated the copyrights on 24 songs, and awarded recording companies $1.92 million, or $80,000 per song.

Is this real?do these people live in the real world?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tec_music_downloading

How much damage could she have done?THAT MUCH?!!
Asundor
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Friday Jun 19, 2009 

LMAO!!! YA OK.
 Back to top »
tornandfrayed
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

The case sited above is concerning a woman who was actually making the files available for download. That is really a lot different from downloading them to use yourself. The story above also mentions that the prosecuting attorney has offered a settlement of 3,000 to 5,000 and this woman refused it.

I know it is really the norm for people to get things for free on the internet but my concern is that when no one can make money from movies, music, games do they stop making them?

Who here would not like to make some money with their music? Only a hand full of bands have given away their CD's that I know of....

I chose to stop downloading music because it was sending a mixed message to my kids. In the end I had to concede that it was indeed wrong and that we were not going to do it. I am not passing judgment on anyone I am just stating the facts.

I would also put suggest that anyone silly enough to be using "peer to Peer" crap like kazaa really needs to rethink their strategy... Or turn off the sharing feature....
 Back to top »
ZappasXWife

What is the difference between what this girl did when you say 'she made the music available for download' or using the sharing feature? Also, I thought there was something in the news recently that they are going to stop prosecuting people for downloading music. I forget the reason, but I think it had to do with a privacy issue or that they found this is not a deterrant.
Regardless, I do feel that your chances of getting caught doing this are less than your chances of getting struck by lightning while you are bleeding on stage.
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

ZappasXWife wrote:
Regardless, I do feel that your chances of getting caught doing this are less than your chances of getting struck by lightning while you are bleeding on stage.

I promise, I buy my music.
MeYatch
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

the fines elicited exactly the response they were meant to.

You think its ridiculous, and just maybe you might think its not worth the risk.
tornandfrayed
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

She downloaded music and either intentionally or unintentionally she enabled others on the Kazaa network to download the music from here machine. The "sharing" feature in Kazaa creates a location that anyone on the kazaa network can access and download from. That is, for all intents and purposes, like standing on a stage bleeding selling dime bags. You are going to get caught a lot easier.

When you disable the sharing feature then you are really only downloading the music that you want and not distributing it to anyone in the world without a question. It is much more like finishing your set while bleeding profusely and when done going backstage and doing a number with your buddies on the ambulance ride to the ER. Much less chance of getting caught.

People don't seem to see a difference, but I do. Like if I want to get high at home and play video games or crank tunes, my business. When I take 20 quarter gram folds of coke to the senior high school a whole different thing....

Agree or disagree?

I welcome public humiliation and ridicule.....That is why I am on Rockpage.....

(sarcasm)
 Back to top »
joltinjeff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Correct me if I am wrong (which I probably am) but are there not free sites that allow you to download music such as LimeWire and others where you can download music?
I have LimeWire and use it alot, but when they want you to upgrade they want you to pay, however if you don't upgrade you still download the shit for free.
If these sites are getting the music and then making ppl pay for the downloads, shouldn't they be paying royalty fees to the artists/songwriters?????????????
As usual, you get NOTHIN FOR FREE!!!
 Back to top »
slackin@dabass
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

tornandfrayed wrote:

People don't seem to see a difference, but I do. Like if I want to get high at home and play video games or crank tunes, my business. When I take 20 quarter gram folds of coke to the senior high school a whole different thing....

there's a difference? Laughing
tornandfrayed
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Limewire has been a "peer to peer" network. What that means is that when you install it they setup a folder on your machine that is "shared". The music that you download goes there and anyone on the network can download it from your machine.

Be very careful with that kind of stuff...

Peace...
 Back to top »
Unholy

Post Posted: Sunday Jul 12, 2009 

To answer someone's question about albums no longer being made if no one can make money from it, I say that it won't effect music. There's been music since man has whacked a stick against a tree, or tossed a pebble into some water. What others see as a broken industry, I see an industry "freed" from the chains of corporate greed. You will see a lot of artists leave, but more will emerge just because they love music, for the music and not for the money it brings in. This is why it is called art.

Long before file sharing will destroy the major labels, I see Indie studios emerging from the fringes of music. Most of this is due to people swapping and downloading tunes via the internet. Most artists would just want to get people to hear their stuff and come to their shows.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: