· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 12/15/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 29, 2004 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 12/15/03

TOWNHALL @ CROWBAR, STATE COLLEGE 12/10/03

Ever since reviewing one of their CD’s for the Altoona Mirror not too long ago, I was curious to check out Philadelphia’s Townhall. The opportunity presented itself this Wednesday night when the group paid a visit to State College’s Crowbar to perform an all ages show.

Townhall was well under way as I arrived, about midway through their show. A good-sized crowd of mostly under-21 fans was assembled in front of the Crowbar stage on the venue’s middle floor level. The upper over-21 level was less populated, and I procured a brew and a seat and took in Townhall’s performance.

Five jazz majors who met 3 years ago at music school in Philadelphia, multi-instrumentalists George Stanford, Nate Skiles, Tim Sonnefeld, Mark Smidt and drummer Kevin Pride offered an exciting presentation. Except for Kevin on drums, the other four members of Townhall literally played musical chairs on nearly every song; each swapping guitars, horns, bass and lead vocal duties seamlessly.

Townhall is one of those bands whose style and sound defies categorization; a lot of ingredients figure into this band’s musical stew. More often than not, the base sound was funky and freestyle; but atop that base, the group performed a hodgepodge incorporating elements of jam rock, reggae, funk, jazz, soul and even worldbeat, resulting in a colorful sound that never stayed in one place for too long. The group went into the playful and funky opener from their studio album, The New Song, called “Confusion.” Tim introduced a banjo into the mix on the following song, “Movin’ to the Country.” Then we heard “Kudzu Killer,” a slice of Little Feat-styled blues and funk. The all ages stagefront crowd was happily grooving along with every number Townhall did.

Townhall broke out the brass on another song, and eventually arrived at the song “Sister Moon,” during which George – with trombone in hand – stagedove into the crowd, where he then continued to play his instrument. The group then introduced a new song, “Mosley.” They eventually arrived at “Kick the Can,” which turned into a crowd singalong; before ending their main show with “Limo.” The Crowbar audience quickly demanded an encore, and Townhall returned to the stage to finish out the evening with two songs – “He’a Got All The Money,” featuring harmonica and muted trumpet; and a reggae-styled song that had the Crowbar stagefront crowd dancing wildly to send the night home.

This was a lively, upbeat show, where five musicians threw out the rulebook and did things their way. Townhall mixed up styles and sounds and improvised, yet delivered catchy music that hooked the Crowbar audience in and kept them festive and attentive. This group amazed with their widespread abilities, as they displayed proficiency on every instrument they touched. Although there were passages of instrumental adventure throughout their show, Townhall’s compositions were all direct and focused, devoid of any meandering jam-band overindulgence.

Townhall kept things musically intriguing, yet also kept the mood upbeat and fun; making for an interesting, enjoyable show. After seeing this performance, it was easy to understand why Townhall is one of the more talked-about bands out of the Philadelphia scene these days.

Townhall entertains the all ages crowd at Crowbar.

George Stanford of Townhall serenades the crowd on trombone after his stagedive.

George Stanford and Tim Sonnefeld of Townhall.

Townhall, cranking out colorful grooves at Crowbar.

Mark Smidt and Kevin Pride of Townhall.

Once again, Townhall, near the end of their Crowbar performance.

MAXWELL STRAIT @ PHYRST, STATE COLLEGE 12/10/03

Since Townhall’s show concluded around 12:30, there was time left for me to catch another live band performing nearby. It was raining the proverbial cats and dogs (and a few ferrets as well), and I first walked to The Brewery, only to learn that there was no band there this night. Already drenched big time (stupid me, I left the umbrella in the car), I walked the extra two blocks up East Beaver Avenue to the Phyrst, where Maxwell Strait was performing.

After wringing myself somewhat drier, I headed down the steps inside the Phyrst, to find a crowded venue taking in Maxwell Strait’s freewheeling performance. The group was in the midst of a fast-flying, grooving medley; tying together Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid” with the B-52’s “Rock Lobster” and AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds Done Cheap,” with guitarist Ted McCloskey singing the lead vocal and Terry Owen providing an unlikely sax edge to the AC/DC tune. Terry then fronted the group on the Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself,” which sent the performance into intermission.

During intermission, one of the tables near the front of the stage opened up, and I took up position there to witness Maxwell Strait’s last set. Although I had only seen a few minutes of them thus far, I was already impressed with how this band was taking familiar songs and transforming them into their own.

Now a five-piece following the departure of singer/guitarist Scott Mangene; Ted, Terry, singer Molly Countermine, bassist Rene Witszke and drummer Jack Wilkinson kicked into their final set of the night with a feisty version of Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason,” with Molly singing lead. The group then fired off a passionate rendition of the Stones’ “Honky Tonky Women,” with Ted and Molly passionately belting out lead voices, their soulful intensity growing as the song progressed. The group cut loose on several more songs before arriving at an original tune towards night’s end, appropriately entitled “Designated Driver.” And when the festive Phyrst audience called for an encore, Maxwell Strait send the night home with “Women Are Smarter.”

Maxwell Strait again were jaw-dropping good! These musicians take every tune they do, and ride it to high and passionate crescendo, with their dazzling instrumental skills and passionate voices carrying each tune to the stratosphere. Molly and Ted handled the lion’s share of lead vocals, and the whole group harmonized well. Their energy and enthusiasm was constant; and every song was performed with maximum soul, passion and sass. Maxwell Strait once again was five musicians at the top of their game, and Phyrst roared their approval after each song.

Once again, Maxwell Strait didn’t disappoint, and their fiery performance made it worth getting drenched on the sidewalks of downtown State College to go see.

Terry Owen of Maxwell Strait.

Maxwell Strait delivers the goods at the Phyrst.

Molly Countermine and Ted McCloskey of Maxwell Strait.

THE GRIMM CHRISTMAS PARTY @ “TONKIN ESTATES” NEAR FALLENTIMBER 12/12/03

Christmas party season began for me this night with a trip up the mountain to experience a Grimm Christmas at the world-famous Tonkin Estates near Fallentimber. Tonkin Estates wasn’t too difficult to locate (how many houses in metropolitan Fallentimber have a bunch of vehicles parked near or in front of?).

Inside, wild and crazy yuletide times abounded, with The Grimm, friends and fellow musicians enjoying food, drink and song. Along with the obvious Grimm contingent, members of Traumatic, Num (all the way in from Harrisburg to partake), Empire and Oliver Squash were in the house. That dark elf “Satan Claus” was also in attendance, and attendees learned that the combination of Big Bad Bob, a bottle of “John D” and hanging mistletoe could be a dangerous thing. (“BRING IT!!!”) Foodwise, I discovered the joys of sloppy joe nachos, the Colonel’s finest (I got the last chunk in the bottom of the bucket) and more.

Damn good party, and no deer or other nocturnal animals were harmed during the enjoyment of this party (or drive up and down the mountain to and from). Thanks to The Grimm for getting my yuletide season off to a raucous start!

EVER SINCE YESTERDAY/FRAYED @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 12/13/03

This night I headed to Peter C’s to get my first look at two up-and-coming heavy-hitters on the area music scene, Ever Since Yesterday and Frayed. Attendance was respectable this night, as a number of people were present to experience what these two new names had to offer.

Frayed was underway as I arrived. Together since last summer, Frayed unleashed a set of all-original, aggressive metallic rock, rooted in old-school thrash circa Overkill and Anthrax. Their songs had a consistency and focus; each with churning, aggressive rhythms, heated guitarwork and caustic, over-the-top vocals. Former Driven axe Scott Bush provided the snarling, aggressive guitarwork; all backed by the coarse, brutal rhythms of bassist Bob Gailey and former Delirium drummer Rusty Reihart. Singer Dave Moses demonstrated a savage set of pipes, with a style reminiscent of Ronnie Dio and Blitz of Overkill. Frayed’s song material was strong and powerful; I particularly liked the thunderous “From the Mountains,” the rapidfire “For the Last Time,” and the set closer “When I Start to Crawl.” Other titles the group performed included “Nobody Knows Me,” “Down” and “Pictures of My Disease.” Their playing was tight and clean, and the members Frayed were clearly operating on the same page. I was impressed with what I saw from Frayed, and I’ll be eager to observe their progress in the coming months.

From Cambria County, Ever Since Yesterday, making their onstage debut this night, then followed with two aggressive, full-throttled sets of original songs, mixed with select high-velocity current and classic rock favorites. Singer Brian, guitarists Pinos and Rakar, bassist Jamie and drummer Jason offered abrasive, nu-metal treatments of Gin Blossoms’ “Hey Jealousy,” Bryan Adams’ “Heaven” and “Summer of ’69;” plus tunes from Deftones, Blue Oyster Cult, Nirvana and more. With Brian’s vocals slightly more distorted, I wasn’t able to catch titles from the group’s original song arsenal. Ever Since Yesterday was over-the-top and intense, particularly Brian’s in-your-face full spleen-vent vocal style. As with Frayed before them, Ever Since Yesterday seemed to be on the same page, and their entire two sets never deviated from their caustic, full-force style. Although the group’s execution and pacing could have been tighter in spots, in all Ever Since Yesterday’s debut was an impressive one, and successfully announced the arrival of another new heavy force on area stages worth keeping an eye on.

Frayed cranks out original metallic mayhem at Peter C’s.

Dave Moses of Frayed.

Scott Bush of Frayed.

Bob Gailey of Frayed.

Once again, Frayed puts pedal to the metal at Peter C’s.

Ever Since Yesterday, making their debut at Peter C’s.

Brian of Ever Since Yesterday.

Ever Since Yesterday unleashes the beast at Peter C’s.

Once again, Brian of Ever Since Yesterday.

Rakar of Ever Since Yeaterday.

Jamie of Ever Since Yesterday.

Once again, Rakar of Ever Since Yesterday.

Ever Since Yesterday, tearing it up onstage at Peter C’s.

The Iceman and Eric of Defunkt sandwich Infused bassman Bill Fischer during the metal double-bill at Peter C's.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: