· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/1/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Mar 05, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/1/10

THE JIVE BOMBERS @ SLEP CENTER, PENN STATE ALTOONA 2/22/10

Penn State Altoona has been presenting a variety of different events during February to recognize Black History Month. Those events have ranged from special speakers and guests to dance troupes, special film showings, and for this particular Sunday and Monday, the annual African American Read-In. At this event, held Sunday in the Port-Sky Café and Monday in the Slep Student Center; students, faculty members and even members of the community could come in and volunteer to read aloud from various literature, poetry and other writings from black authors. Interspersed throughout the Read-In event were special guests and presentations, from local celebrity readers to performances by dance groups and one musical group. Since the musical group, the Jive Bombers, was strategically scheduled to perform shortly before I taught class late in the afternoon, I stopped off at Slep to see this group en route to my teaching duties.

Named in tribute to the legendary New York R&B group of the same name from the late ‘40s and ‘50s, this Jive Bombers is actually a duo, featuring Penn State Altoona faculty member (and former Code:Blue guitarist) Jerry Zolten on guitar and vocals, and State College’s Richard Sleigh on harmonica, vocals and guitar. The pair entertained the Read-In audience with a variety of blues flavors, with Jerry teaching about blues, its forms and roots throughout the 45-minute performance.

For the nearly 30 minutes I took in (I had to leave early to get to class), Jerry and Richard did selections such as Jimmy Reed’s “Baby What You Want Me to Do” and “Ain’t That Lovin’ You Baby,” Jerry McCain’s “She’s Tough,” “Jugband Music,” Joe Liggins’ “The Honeydripper,” a Bullmoose Jackson selection and more. Their performances were heartfelt, appreciative, reverent and in the spirit of the early originals; with both men showing gritty voices, and Richard displaying some incredible harp wailing!

It was entertaining, fun and informative; and the audience appreciated the performance. The Jive Bombers perform periodically at various campus-related events; for blues enthusiasts and those wanting to learn more about early blues, catch this duo when you learn they are playing, as you’re sure to learn something!

The Jive Bombers.

Richard Sleigh of The Jive Bombers.

Jerry Zolten of The Jive Bombers.

Again, The Jive Bombers.

SHARK BITE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 2/22/10

Not much to report here…It was a slow night at Pellegrine’s, so the Shark Bite tag team of Adam D and Big Jim went unplugged, un-amped and acoustic, with Big Jim strumming his guitar and Adam singing; both musicians strolling around the Pelly’s main bar area to entertain for the better part of an hour. “Gamber Gone Wild” transpired with Jerry singing his version of Looking Glass’ “Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl).” Guv’nor Jesse flexed his pipes to sing the primary lead with Adam on Gordon Lightfoot’s “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” The Guv’nor represented well, remembering most of the words and singing mostly in tune, good job!

Otherwise, it was excellent wings and camaraderie with friends as usual…

IBEJI DRUM ENSEMBLE @ SLEP CENTER, PENN STATE ALTOONA 2/24/10

Again happening at Penn State Altoona’s Slep Center in conjunction with Black History Month was another free musical performance this night, featuring Pittsburgh-based African percussive group The Ibeji Drum Ensemble.

The Ibeji Drum Ensemble was first formed in 1995 by Dr. Anthony Mitchell and his wife, Beatrice. The couple has twice traveled to Senegal in west Africa to study that region’s percussion, music, dance and culture. The Ensemble is now four members strong, with Dr. Mitchell, Beatrice (“Sistah Bea”), and two African members, Oscar and Yamusa.

With this performance taking place after my appointed teaching duties this night, I headed to the Slep Center and arrived shortly after the program began. Dressed in traditional African garb, the Ibeji Drum Ensemble demonstrated a variety of west-African percussion-based songs and selections, utilizing a variety of African percussion instruments along the way. The audience, mostly comprised of students, became the group’s “African village,” and various students were lured up onstage to learn dance moves along the way.

This was educational as well, with the Mitchells frequently explaining the significance of their musical selections. Since I teach news writing and reporting, I noted their explanation that in Africa, with no televisions or radio, if news was happening, the tribal leaders would sound off special drum rhythms to tell the community that news was occurring!

For the last song of the evening, the musicians handed out a wide variety of hand percussion instruments to everyone in the audience, including me. We all got to tap out beats in unison with the group for the selection, while students danced on stage. Very cool!

Dr. Mitchell also took a moment to tell the audience that while African culture was being celebrated this night, that we should celebrate heritage and culture whenever possible, and celebrate family and community togetherness as well. It was a clear, positive message to go with the good musical vibes the Ensemble brought to the stage this night.

Having attended a couple of the performances of Rusted Root drummer Jim Donovan’s various percussion-based projects at St. Francis University, it was cool to see a performance of this sort happening at Penn State Altoona as well. Who knows, maybe it will someday lead to some percussion-based groups practicing and performing here as well.

The Ibeji Drum Ensemble.

Oscar of The Ibeji Drum Ensemble.

Yamusa of The Ibeji Drum Ensemble.

Again, The Ibeji Drum Ensemble.

Oscar of The Ibeji Drum Ensemble teaches some dance steps to several Penn State Altoona students.

“Sistah Bea” leads some more students in doing some dance moves.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 2/24/10

Following the Ibeji Drum Ensemble’s performance, I headed to Pellegrine’s for pizza and the new Pelly’s Wednesday Jam Night. This night, I was armed with my small set of bongos, and after participating in the Ibeji Drum Ensemble’s performance, I was ready to tap out a few more rhythms!

A good-sized crowd – actually, the biggest so far for Jam Night – was in place as I arrived, and Rich Edmundson was performing a mini-set. Rich played a number of his own original songs and some select remakes; displaying a hearty, passionate singing style and some intensity on the guitar strings. He welcomed a guest singer, Margaret, to the mic to duet with him on a song, I thing called “On My Soul.” He dedicated the song “Guitar Man” to his late uncle, Jim Rossi. And he closed this mini-set with his Dave Matthews-flavored take on “Wild Thing.”

Adam D then took over for a few songs, playing keys and singing tunes from Bush, Billy Joel, Queen, Dr. Hook, Candlebox and REO Speedwagon. Big Jim then stepped up and did a version of Otis Redding’s “Sittin on the Dock of the Bay,” before Adam joined in with him for Stealer’s Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle with You” and a few more songs.

Jess P had entered the house by this point, and she stepped up to perform a few, including J. Frank Wilson’s (Pearl Jam’s) “Last Kiss,” K.T. Tunstall’s “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree,” Carrie Underwood’s “Before He Cheats” and more.

Next was Eric D of Busted Drunks fame, who did a hearty selection of classics from Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and the Rolling Stones, before guest Shawn joined on conga for Violent Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun.” As he arrived at a Todd Snider number to close out his set, I started tapping away on my bongos from my table vantage point in front of the stage.

Rich Edmundson then returned to do a few more songs. He did several freestyle songs, and closed with a number where he demonstrated a percussive approach to his guitar playing, tapping the strings and guitar surface. This was an excellent display, as he was precise and made each note and beat count. Most of the Pelly’s audience sat and stared, spellbound and amazed.

At this point, the KottonMouth contingent of Big Jim, Kirk “Otto” Tonkin and another bandmate stepped up to do some songs; including the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues,” Steve Earle’s “Copperhead Road” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps.”

As this continued, I kept on playing percussion from my table vantage point; shifting between my bongos and egg shaker. I was enjoying it, having more fun playing percussion as the night went along. Jess P, Eric D, Adam D and Big Jim kept platooning on and off the stage and doing favorites to close out the night. It was a laid-back mood, with the KottonMouth crew seated behind the players on the stage, playing additional acoustic guitars and percussion. It was indeed a jam session this night!

Rich Edmundson shows his stuff during Pellegrine’s Jam Night.

Guest Margaret joins Rich on a song.

Jess P.

Shawn on conga and Eric D.

KottonMouth in the house.

COUSTIC COVENANT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 2/25/10

During Wednesday’s Jam Night at Pellegrine’s, Adam D had mentioned several times that the group Coustic Covenant would be playing on Thursday night. An apparent new band name, I decided to return to Pellegrine’s this night to see what it was about.

At least this night, Coustic Covenant was a solo performer, I Enemy bass man Jim Stephanic. Jim said his bass playing partner wasn’t available this night, so he was flying solo.

Jim entertained a small crowd of onlookers with a selection of tunes spanning mostly the ‘80s and ‘90s. His song selection included numbers from Collective Soul, Matchbox 20, Outfield, Rick Springfield, Toadies, Better Than Ezra, Van Morrison, Johnny Cash, Guns N’Roses and more. Jim broke out a few unexpected numbers as well, including an acoustic spin on a Death Angel tune, the Moody Blues’ “Your Wildest Dreams,” Jonathan Edwards’ “Sunshine” and more.

It all sounded pretty good. With the bass player not present, Jim’s performance took on more of an informal practice session atmosphere; and he bantered with onlookers and played musical trivia with them along the way, good for ballcaps, T-shirts and other prizes. I made a mental note to catch Coustic Convenant again at full strength sometime in the near future.

RAIN MUST FALL/THE ULTRAMAGNETIC @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 2/26/10

The latest round of snowfall, ranging from 3 to 5 inches, screwed up area roads enough to scuttle several of this Friday night’s scheduled live band shows around the area. One that was still going on locally was at Aldo’s, so I headed there.

A good-sized crowd was on hand for the opening band as I arrived. That band was The Ultramagnetic, an instrumental project featuring Rain Must Fall bassist Hunter James, former Acalasia drummer Cory Aboud, Jon Preston on percussion and Vince Macharola on guitar. I caught the last three numbers from their set; all three instrumental jam workouts that took on classic rock and blues flavors. According to Hunter, this project is still in an experimental phase, and he would like to add vocals and lyrics to some of these compositions down the road. What I heard sounded good, and the crowd seemed to enjoy it as well.

The Ultramagnetic.

Again, The Ultramagnetic.

Hunter and Rain Must Fall soon followed. Again these guys and gal sounded in good form, as they did a selection of original songs with a few select covers included. Included were some of their songs that have been receiving “Homegrown Rocker” airplay such as “Superficial Stain,” “Six Years Later” and “Wonder”; plus several whose titles I didn’t catch. One of these, possibly called “C’mon C’mon,” was repeated for the encore to close the night. Rain Must Fall also did versions of No Doubt’s “Spiderwebs” (with singer Michael Kensinger singing lead), a request for Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ‘69” and Deadeye Dick’s “New Age Girl.”

Again, Rain Must Fall’s overall sound suggested an ‘80s alternative flavor, demonstrating sharp melodies and crisp vocal harmonies. Rain Must Fall sold it with abundant enthusiasm, and this group looked like they were having fun on the stage. This set again indicated that this is a band to keep an eye on; their fresh sound is winning over more fans with each show.

Michael Kensinger of Rain Must Fall.

Michael Kensinger and Hunter James of Rain Must Fall.

Again, Michael and Hunter of Rain Must Fall.

Once again, Michael Kensinger.

Again, Hunter James.

Jarrett Bickel of Rain Must Fall.

Jarrett and Hunter of Rain Must Fall.

Bree Gearhart of Rain Must Fall.

Hunter and Bree of Rain Must Fall.

Bobby Ziegler of Rain Must Fall.

Again, Jarrett and Hunter of Rain Must Fall.

Once again, Michael Kensinger of Rain Must Fall.

Again, Michael and Hunter of Rain Must Fall.

Again, Bree Gearhart of Rain Must Fall.

One more time, Rain Must Fall.

THE BOOMERS @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 2/27/10

My initial game plan was to head out of town to catch a band, but that plan was scuttled moments after I hopped into my car and realized it was snowing. I decided I’d rather play it safe and stick within the ‘Toona city limits, and ended up checking in with The Boomers, playing at 30 Something.

I learned shortly after arriving that The Boomers were playing with some heavy hearts this night. Bassist/singer Bob Helbig’s father (and singer Megan’s grandfather) had passed away earlier in the afternoon from illness. But troopers they were, they and the band played the show anyway, and gave the folks in attendance a good time.

Bob, Megan, keyboardist/singer John Koeck, guitarist Dave Nichols and drummer John Stevens kept the 30 Something dance floor busy through much of the night with their blend of ‘70s and ‘80s rock and pop favorites, including several I had not heard on a local stage in quite a while.

Bob, Megan and John each alternated lead singing duties, and all three showed good voices this night. Megan handled a lot of the higher register vocals, including numbers from Journey, GoGo’s, Blondie, Pat Benatar and more; while Bob and John alternated more of the straight-up rock’n’roll numbers.

As I mentioned, there were a few surprises along the way; including The Fixx’s “One Thing Leads to Another,” The Eurythmics’ “Would I Lie to You,” Right Said Fred’s “I’m Too Sexy,” Maxine Nightengale’s “Right Back Where We Started From,” Crowded House’s “Don’t Dream It’s Over,” the Four Seasons’ “December 1963” and more.

It all sounded good. The vocals were all dead-on, and The Boomers’ harmonies were great. Instrumentally these folks were on their game, with Dave’s precision guitar solo work and John’s sparkling ivory-tickling providing constant highlights. And given Bob’s and Megan’s circumstance this night, they kept the mood upbeat and provided the audience with a fun vibe for the duration.

The Boomers offered up a good-time party of rock and pop favorites, and kept the crowd happy through it all.

The Boomers bring the rock’n’roll party to 30 Something.

Dave Nichols of The Boomers.

Megan and Bob Helbig of The Boomers.

Again, The Boomers.

Again, Dave Nichols of The Boomers.

Again, Megan Helbig of The Boomers.

More of The Boomers.

Bob Helbig and John Koeck of The Boomers.

Once again, The Boomers.

John Stevens of The Boomers.

Again, John Koeck of The Boomers.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ SHAW’S BAR, ALTOONA 2/28/10

I knew it was going to be an enjoyable round of Hurricaning when, within ten seconds of my entering the Shaw’s premises, lead Hurricane Felix called out, “Get that man a shot!”

The resulting taste of non-Thanksgiving Turkey quickly put me in the mood for some quality Hurricaning, and that’s exactly what I and the rest of the Shaw’s populace received this night.

It was pure, unadulterated Hurricanes on the stage this night, with no guests, bells, whistles or fanfare. It was just the basic three – Felix, Bob and Pat – doing what they do, and doing it so well. Even Priscilla the Tambourine Lady, although present, was taking the night off and letting the Hurricanes do what they do.

And boy, did they do it! The ‘Canes smoothly executed on renditions of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing” and the Allman Brothers’ “Ramblin’ Man” to close out their set once I arrived.

The nightcap set started off with more Allman Brothers and “Soulshine,” before Felix and his bottleneck slide kicked off a spirited blues jam that culminated in Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Loew,” and more impressive Felix slide! The Hurricanes continued with spins on the Allmans’ “Midnight Rider,” Johnny Cash’s “Cocaine Blues,” the Grateful Dead’s “Alabama Getaway” and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy,” before Pat sang lead on “Wagon Wheels,” and the group finished out the night by honoring a request for Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man.”

While it’s always fun when the Hurricanes welcome guests on stage, this night reminded us that the stripped-down, bare bones edition of the Hurricanes can always deliver the quality goods on their own, on any given night.

Back to the basics this night, The Hurricanes.

Again, The Hurricanes.

Lead ‘Cane Felix.

Once again, Felix of the Hurricanes.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: