· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/19/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Apr 25, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/19/10

DOUBLE D @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/12/10

We’ve established that the performing duo of Adam D and Jess P is now called That’s What She Said. Now, when Adam D and Eric D perform together, the collaboration is called Double-D. And Double-D provided the musical accompaniment to this Monday’s Wing Night at Pellegrine’s.

Musically, it was a different mix than the That’s What She Said repertoire; as Adam and Eric did interesting song choices such as Bob Dylan’s “Ballad of Hollis Brown,” Warrant’s “Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Under the Bridge,” the Zombies’ “She’s Not There,” Duran Duran’s “Rio” and more. Gamber Gone Wild made his weekly cameo appearances, fitted into a bikini top for his rendition of Looking Glass’ “Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl)” (some things we just can’t un-see).

Bottom line, music abounded and wings were again consumed in mass quantities. Destiny was again fulfilled.

Because if I had to endure seeing it, you have to as well...Gamber Gone Wild in a bikini top, imbedded permanently on your memories...

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/14/10

I’ve been reporting that Wednesday Jam Night at Pellegrine’s has steadily seen more musicians and bigger crowds since it started earlier this year. This week was the biggest and best yet, and clearly off the map!

The scorecard, if my count is accurate…Some 23 different performers were in the house, and at least 22 of them graced the stage in some way, shape or form before all was said and done!

When I first arrived, a few musicians I didn’t recognize were setting up with Adam D; one, a keyboardist named Matt, was playing some random jams on the keyboard and sounding good at it. I believe these musicians hailed from Blandburg, and another of them, Craig, soon started singing and playing acoustic guitar. He did two Johnny Cash tunes, “Folsom Prison Blues” and “Let the Train Blow the Whistle,” along with Merle Haggard’s “Mama Tried” and an original song. He had a nice, rich voice and vocal tone, and did a good job in his Pelly’s Jam night debut.

A succession of musicians then performed mini-sets of song material, including Rich “Allheart” Edmundson, Phil Steele with his own keyboard, Don Osborn, Jess P (joined by Shawn on hand percussion), Eric D, and Without Zerb guitarist Scott Jurcik.

After this, the jam session began in earnest, and it was on! Various platooning combinations of musicians joined in at any given time, performing a wide range of classics and other favorites. Besides many of the aforementioned musicians, other participants along the way included host Adam D on keys, Eric Wertz on bass, Big Jim on guitar and vocals, Priscilla the Tambourine Lady, an unidentified bass player (part of the Blandburg contingent, I believe), Mark Panek on Adam D’s digital percussion, Johnny Blaze and Rich Piccerillo on guitars, Jamie Shumac, Bryan Weston and Kira Burley on vocals, and even Pelly’s Monday night hostess Natalie singing backing vocals toward night’s end. And, oh yeah, yours truly on hand drums and cajon.

The mood was constantly lively and fun, as all the participants joined in the community spirit of making music together. In addition to the good musician turnout, there were a number of Pellegrine’s patrons in the house as well, cheering on the proceedings. Good tunes and good times, resulting in the best Jam Night so far!

It’s another Jam Night at Pellegrine’s!

An unidentified bass player, Don Osborn and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady.

Kira Burley, Adam D and Big Jim.

A good-sized crowd claps along and cheers as Kira Burley sings some Heart.

Left to right: Phil Steele, Rich Piccerillo, Mark Panek (tapping percussion on Adam D’s keys), Big Jim and Natalie P.

Jam host Adam D steps up front to sing lead.

Johnny Blaze, Phil Steele and Rich Piccerillo.

Big Jim and Natalie P.

The jam festivities continue.

Mark Panek and Adam D.

Another fun Pellegrine’s Wednesday night Jam!

KJELL MELING AWARD @ MISCIAGNA FAMILY ARTS CENTER, PENN STATE ALTOONA 4/15/10

This night, an area musician, producer, author and educator was receiving a special honor. Dr. Jerry Zolten, whose career has spanned over 40 years on area stages, and who has touched many students as associate professor of communications arts and sciences at Penn State Altoona, was receiving the annual Kjell Meling Award for Distinction in the Arts & Humanities this night at the campus’ Misciagna Family Arts Center. The award is in memory of Meling, a campus administrator from 1978 to 2004.

This wasn’t your typical award ceremony…The evening started with Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Dr. Ken Womack, presenting the award to Jerry. Then, Jerry made things interesting.

After receiving the award, Jerry delivered an entertaining and insightful hour-long presentation about his career and inspirations, using computer images, video, audio and graphics to help tell the story. He recounted his early years as a member of the Penn State Folk Society in the ‘60’s, and his involvement in producing a concert for Arlo Guthrie. He then mentioned becoming a performer himself, and becoming part of the group The Wooley Thumpers, who were eventually signed to Buddah Records for a brief time in the late ‘60s, changing their handle to Protozoa to issue the bubblegum single “Ring Around My Rosie.” He played an audio clip of an interview he coducted with Pete Seeger, and recalled his western swing band from the ‘70s, the Lew London Trio. He then told of how he first teamed with harmonica player Richard Sleigh in 1980 to form The Jive Bombers. He then recounted his stints in the bands Body & Soul and Code: Blue; he showed early video of Body & Soul, which at that point included Altoona’s Jerrone Barnes on vocals. He then discussed his brief foray into standup comedy, showing a photo taken with George Carlin, as well as a rejection letter he received from Woody Allen. Jerry then talked about his passion and work in producing and promoting roots gospel acts like The Fairfield Four, Isaac Freeman and the Dixie Hummingbirds.

At the close of the presentation, Jerry invited Richard Sleigh and former Code: Blue bandmate Bob “Robo” Vaughn up to the stage to perform live; the trio did acoustic renditions of Sam Cooke’s “A Change Is Gonna Come” and “Will the Circle Be Unbroken.”

This was a fascinating program, in which Jerry shared his own story, but also offered insight into his influences, especially American roots music. Through the presentation, Jerry revealed his lifelong passion for the “low brow” arts, and championing the cause of gaining recognition for some of the unsung heroes of American roots and gospel music. This wasn’t just entertaining, but educational and insightful as well.

(The following pictures were taken by Erin Murphy, and are from the Penn State Altoona website.)

Dr. Jerry Zolten accepts his award and begins his presentation.

Jerry shows the audience the Buddah Records 45 rpm single from 1969 by Protozoa (The Wooley Thumpers), “Ring Around My Rosie.” The song actually did chart, peaking at #114, and garnered some radio airplay in several east coast markets.

Jerry’s former Code: Blue bandmate, Bob “Robo” Vaughn.

Wailing some harp, Richard Sleigh.

Strumming acoustic guitar, Dr. Jerry Zolten.

THE HOUSE BAND @ THE OLD CANAL INN, HOLLIDAYSBURG 4/16/10

Although I had been past it many times throughout my life, I had never set foot inside the Old Canal Inn in Hollidaysburg until this night. The venue recently started running some live bands, and I headed out there this night to check in with The House Band.

Upon entering the Old Canal Inn, I was greeted by owner Alex, who led me to the downstairs level of the facility where the bands play. The House Band was under way, and entertaining musical guests. The Verge’s Jeff Renner was gracing the stage, singing and providing stinging guitar work to AC/DC’s “The Jack.” Brian Cupples then followed him, singing and playing guitar on Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up” and a blues shuffle spin on Dwight Yoakum’s “Fast as You.” Keyboardist Mark Rossi hadn’t done this song before, so Brian was calling out the keys to him; Mark laughingly trialed and errored his way through the song, after which Brian remarked, “Just like we rehearsed it!”

Mark, guitarist/singer Tom Rhodes and drummer/singer Ed Murvine continued with their mix of rock, soul and blues classics; including “Electric Chair Blues,” The Guess Who’s “No Sugar Tonight” and Three Dog Night/Randy Newman’s “Mama Told Me (Not to Come),” The Why Store’s “Lack of Water” and a request for Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” to end the set.

After the intermission, The House Band resumed with more fun and tunes. This set featured more guests, as Mike Baronner sang lead on Steve Earle’s “Oxycontin Blues”; a musician I hadn’t seen before nicknamed “Cappy” impressively fronted and played guitar on Kenny Rogers & the First Edition’s “Just Dropped In” and another song; Jeff Renner returned to sing and play guitar on versions of ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man,” Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself” and Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page”; and Pat Kibler played harmonica on the night-ending rendition of James Taylor’s “Steamroller Blues.” The House Band also did versions of Albert Collins’ “I Ain’t Drunk,” Don Williams/Eric Clapton’s “Tulsa Time,” the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times” and Jonny Lang’s “Darker Side.” And for an additional highlight, from behind the drum kit, Ed sang lead on a version of Grand Funk Railroad’s “Footstompin’ Music.”

As expected, this was good, all-around fun. The House Band kept the mood upbeat, having fun as they and their guests made music. Mark remains a wizard on the ivories, and continuously made those keys sing! Although not hugely packed, the Old Canal Inn audience was digging the sounds, and a few ladies cut the rug in front of the stage a few times during the course of the night.

Owner Alex told me some of his ideas and things he was considering for improving this downstairs lounge as a live music room. It might take some time, but I think he has a realistic vision for this venue and will grow it over time as funds and resources permit. I enjoyed my first visit here; including the music, crabcake sammich and cole slaw…I will be back!

And thanks Mark for the Grand Marnier…great stuff!

The House Band, rocking and rolling at the Old Canal Inn.

Guest Mike Baronner sings with The House Band.

Guest “Cappy,” singing and playing guitar with The House Band.

Once again, “Cappy.” This guy was good!

Jeff Renner of The Verge, helping The House Band make music.

Again, The House Band with Jeff Renner.

Once again, The House Band.

Pat Kibler, wailing some harmonica with The House Band.

More of The House Band with guest Pat Kibler.

Again, The House Band.

Mark Rossi of The House Band.

Ed Murvine of The House Band.

One more time, Mark Rossi.

E.V.K. @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 4/17/10

Sometimes things don’t quite go as planned.

Originally, I was to attend an Earth Day celebration event staged by Mysterytrain this day at the Sinking Valley Fairgrounds. But the previous day’s rainy weather made the Fairgrounds muddy plus dropped the outside temperature to a breezy and chilly low 40’s. I was five minutes away from making the trip to the Fairgrounds when Mysterytrain main man Dan Klock called and informed me that the event was being moved indoors to the warmer and more climate-friendly confines of 30 Something. He also informed me that youthful rockers E.V.K. were going on stage at around 3 PM. This actually worked out better for me, as due to the travel time to Sinking Valley, I likely would have missed their set had the event still been happening there.

I arrived at 30 Something just as E.V.K. began their set with a version of Judas Priest’s “Living After Midnight.” This was the group’s first performance with newly added bassist Emmett Eldred. Emmett joins the sibling tandem of drummer/singer Chelsea and guitarist/singer Stevie Moses, Noelle Ozio on keys and Evan Schultz on guitar. With Chelsea handling the lion’s share of singing duties, E.V.K. did exuberant rock favorites from the ‘70s and ‘80s; including tunes from Queen’s “We Will Rock You” into Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me,” Talking Heads’ “Burning Down the House,” AC/DC’s “TNT,” “Dirty Deeds” and “Highway to Hell,” Motley Crue/Brownsville Station’s “Smokin’ in the Boys’ Room,” Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine” and more. My favorite highlights of E.V.K.’s set all featured Stevie on lead voice; including his punk pout renditions of the Ramones’ “Blitzkrieg Bop,” the Sex Pistols’ “Anarchy in the U.K.” and “God Save the Queen” (sung complete with Brit accent!), and Blink 182’s “Dammit,” with Stevie inserting a clever phrase in place of the f-bomb in the second verse! When the audience called for an encore at set’s end, E.V.K. responded with a version of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama.”

E.V.K. is coming along quite well. These youngsters generated abundant enthusiasm and sounded together on their instruments, and had the 30 Something audience cheering them on. Chelsea sounds more poised in her role as the group’s onstage ringleader, and as a whole, these youngsters displayed more confidence and swagger. As The Who might say, The(se) kids are alright!

Due to the last-minute change of venue, Dan and Mysterytrain eventually decided to call it an afternoon after E.V.K.’s set, and did not perform. So this show turned out being E.V.K.’s own matinee performance, and it was a fun one!

Stevie and Chelsea Moses of E.V.K.

Chelsea Moses of E.V.K.

Against a backdrop of Mysterytrain tapestries, E.V.K. rocks 30 Something.

Noelle Ozio and the new guy, Emmett Eldred, of E.V.K.

E.V.K.’s twin guitar attack, Evan Schultz and Stevie Moses.

Stevie Chelsea Moses of E.V.K.

Again, Stevie and Chelsea Moses of E.V.K.

Again, Evan and Stevie of E.V.K.

More of E.V.K.

Once again, Stevie Moses of E.V.K.

One more time, E.V.K.

JUSTIN HALE @ YESTERDAY’S PARTY, EBENSBURG 4/17/10

During my last visit to Yesterday’s Party a few weeks earlier, I had noted a repeating name on the venue’s calendar, Justin Hale. I looked this group’s website up and studied up on their show, and decided I wanted to catch an upcoming visit to the area. This night would be that visit, and I returned to Y-P to see what Justin Hale was about.

First, this Justin Hale is a band, not an individual. Formed in 1998, the current edition features founding members J.J. Mason on guitar and Chuck Sloan on drums, Barry Shipley on bass and singer Bri Lees.

As I arrived, Justin Hale was doing a song I didn’t recognize, likely one of their original tunes. J.J. caught my attention right away, performing a kazoo solo. The group continued by mixing song material from the past four decades. After a version of Green Day’s “She,” the group broke into the Mamas & Papas’ “California Dreamin,’” before Bri’s pipes took the spotlight on a riveting version of Tracy Bonham’s “Everything’s Fine.” She followed this by fronting the group again on 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up,” before J.J. led the group to set’s end on a version of Violent Femmes’ “Add It Up.”

After an intermission, the group commenced their nightcap set with the impressive Pink Floyd double-shot of “Another Brick in the Wall” into “Run Like Hell,” bridged by Chuck doing a drum solo, and highlighted by J.J.’s guitar effect-laden solo work. Bri sang lead on Alanis Morisette’s “You Oughta Know,” before the group welcomed a guest named Mark up to help sing Blur’s “Song 2.” Another guest, identified as “Paul” from Pittsburgh Kiss tribute Deuce,” sang lead on “Cold Gin.” Bassist Barry then took over lead mic duties on Tool’s “Sober,” before Bri and the group honored a request for a Paramore tune. Bri continued by singing Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine,” followed by an acoustic duet version of Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide” with J.J. strumming. The group then picked the pace back up and fired up the party for the homestretch, doing songs by Roxette, The Clarks, Led Zeppelin, Nena, Steve Earle, Pink, Chumbawumba, The Offspring, and Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Night” to close things out.

Justin Hale pulled all stops to give the Y-P crowd a good time. J.J. and Bri both handled their respective singing duties well, and this group kept the mood constantly upbeat, never giving the audience much reason to want to sit down. I liked their energy, enthusiasm and variety, and they had the chops to pull all of it off impressively.

Justin Hale are frequent flyers to Cambria County stages, and J.J. indicated they are interested in venturing further east; so don’t be surprised to see this group land on Altoona or State College stages soon. And if they do, get ready for a party, because these folks know how to throw one!

Justin Hale lights up Yesterday’s Party.

Again, Justin Hale.

Bri Lees of Justin Hale. This gal can sing!

J.J. Mason of Justin Hale.

Again, Bri Lees of Justin Hale.

More Justin Hale.

Again, J.J. Mason of Justin Hale.

Yet more Justin Hale.

Once again, Bri Lees.

Justin Hale’s rocking party continues.

Once again, Justin Hale.

Chuck Sloan of Justin Hale.

Barry Shipley of Justin Hale.

One more time, Bri Lees of Justin Hale, the tambourine lady.

THE PANIC SWITCH @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/18/10

A new band was making their Altoona debut this night. The Panic Switch, merging members from northeast PA rockers The Drama Club and the former Monster Party (Rise Phoenix Rise), had just debuted altogether the previous weekend, and were paying their first visit to Pellegrine’s this night.

The Panic Switch merges The Drama Club (and former Lifer) singer Nick Coyle and guitarist Peshi with the former Monster Party rhythm section of drummer Rob Hampton and Hollidaysburg bassman Eric Wertz; Brian Thompson plays guitar and keys.

Over the two sets I watched, The Panic Switch played a crisp, punchy mixture of current, ‘80s and ‘90s rock favorites; including numbers from Jet, White Stripes, Jimmy Eat World, Kings Of Leon, Sublime, Duran Duran, Nine Inch Nails, Weezer, Jane’s Addiction, Ramones, Filter and more. I liked their overall song selection, which included a few songs other than the obvious hits.

This roster has gelled together quickly; they executed their song material with confidence and clockwork precision, and Nick sang with focus and purpose. Each band member knew their role, and focused toward serving the music and delivering a tight presentation.

The Panic Switch quickly won over the Pellegrine’s audience with their vibrant performance; and based on this night, watch for this group to generate momentum quickly on the state’s stages and beyond.

Making their Pellegrine’s debut, The Panic Switch.

Peshi of The Panic Switch.

Nick Coyle of The Panic Switch.

Again, The Panic Switch.

Eric Wertz of The Panic Switch.

Nick Coyle and Eric Wertz of The Panic Switch.

More of The Panic Switch.

Again, Peshi of The Panic Switch.

Rob Hampton of The Panic Switch.

Again, Nick Coyle.

Brian Thompson of The Panic Switch.

Multi-tasking, Brian Thompson of The Panic Switch.

Once again, Nick Coyle of The Panic Switch.

One more time and going full-vent, Nick Coyle.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: