· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/26/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday May 09, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/26/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/19/10

Another Monday night, another round of Pellegrine’s flavorful wings and tunes from That’s What She Said.

Adam D and femme fatale accomplice Jess P. alternated songs and singing duties throughout the night, performing their wide range of hits and favorites. Jess was in especially good voice this week, and sounded confident on her respective song material. Meanwhile, Adam was pulling out some interesting choices on his keyboard, including Soul Asylum’s “Runaway Train,” a tease for Yes’ “Roundabout,” Burton Cummings’ “Stand Tall,” Queen’s “Spread Your Wings,” David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” and “Heroes,” and curiously enough, Vicki Lawrence’s “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia.”

Along the way, as usual, several guests checked in. Gamber Gone Wild – to quote Adam – again “marked his turf” with his rendition of Looking Glass’ “Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl).” Eric D did a short set on acoustic guitar, as did Craig from Blandburg (who appeared at Pelly’s Jam Night the week before). Craig got the crowd hollering with his spin on Hank Williams III’s “Dick in Dixie.”

Compared to other Mondays, this one was relatively calm and subdued; nonetheless, a good time.

ROYAL BENSON @ CAFÉ 210, STATE COLLEGE 4/21/10

This Wednesday evening, I chose to bypass Pellegrine’s Jam Night to catch a CD-release event in State College. Royal Benson was celebrating the release of their debut CD, (long)Drive, with a show at Café 210.

Another incentive to head to Happy Valley this night was free food, courtesy of Rotelli’s Italian diner in downtown State College. You’ve got to like a place that sends their mailing list members free entrée coupons for their HALF-birthday! I had all of April to redeem mine, so I took advantage this night and enjoyed Rotelli’s tasty “Italian Jambalaya”…a treat for the taste buds, to be sure!

I then proceeded to Café 210 to see Royal Benson. A good-sized crowd was already in place, and more people would arrive as the night progressed.

The group added a sax/flute player since I first saw them last year, as Michael Fortunato joins singer/keyboardist Adam Tarin, singer/guitarist Matt Fern, bassist Tim Myers and drummer Jordan Thompson.

Royal Benson proceeded to light things up with an excellent show over their two sets, doing a mixture of original songs and select cover material. Their overall style and sound were feisty jazz/funk/rock/fusion, suggesting what might happen if Dave Matthews Band and Steely Dan got together for a jam session. The group did a number of multi-flavored original songs, including many from the new CD plus even newer material as well. Some of the songs from the disc included “(short)Drive,” “What You Get,” “Game” and “Red Maple.” They also did at least one new song, called “Port-a-Call,” and toward night’s end resuscitated “Cat’s Pajamas,” a number from Matt’s, Michael’s and Jordan’s previous band, Cootie Brown.

Royal Benson set a context for their freewheeling original songs by incorporating a number of cover selections, redone in their own style. The results here were often amazing, as the group did reworkings of Bobby “Blue” Bland’s “Turn On Your Love Light,” the Beatles’ “Don’t Let Me Down” and Phil Collins’ “In the Air Tonight” during the first set; and an improvisational read of Traffic’s “Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys,” Paul Simon’s “You Can Call Me Al,” Grover Washington, Jr.’s “Just the Two of Us” and Boz Scaggs’ “Lowdown” during the nightcap set. These were all tunes not frequently heard on area stages, and Royal Benson turned each into a lively highlight.

Their performance was constantly amazing, with each of the players showing sick skills on his respective instrument, and blending together into heated jams along the way. The energy level and instrumental exploits escalated as the night progressed, setting the crowd into massive groove fests in front of the stage. For me, it was jaw-droppingly good stuff from start to end!

Needless to say, I was impressed! Royal Benson has clearly arrived, and this night showed me that this band is clearly must-see entertainment! These guys are playing select shows throughout the state; catch them soon!

Matt Fern and Michael Fortunato of Royal Benson.

Matt Fern of Royal Benson.

Adam Tarin of Royal Benson.

Tim Myers of Royal Benson.

Jordan Thompson of Royal Benson.

Royal Benson, lighting things up at Café 210.

Again, Royal Benson.

Again, Matt Fern.

Showing some flute talents as well, Michael Fortunato of Royal Benson.

Once again, Royal Benson.

Again, Adam Tarin of Royal Benson.

Once again, Matt Fern.

Continuing to light it up, Royal Benson.

Michael Fortunato takes his sax to the crowd.

Michael greets fans as he heads back to the stage.

ECO ACTION EARTH DAY FESTIVAL @ PENN STATE ALTOONA 4/23/10

Penn State Altoona’s Eco Action student organization was again staging their annual Earth Day Festival on campus this day, and it included some live music. After wrapping up my Pennsylvania Musician article duties for the month, I headed to the campus to see what was up.

I had hoped to check out the Allegheny Ukulele Kollective, who were slated to perform under the Laurel Pavilion this afternoon, but I apparently arrived too late to see them do their thing.

I did follow the sound of a live band up to the campus Bookstore. That band was a new original music project called Tomorrowland. I only arrived in time to catch their last song, but what I heard sounded good. Tomorrowland’s roster includes Boomers lead singer Megan Helbig, and Justin Cain on guitar. Again, it was only one song of female-fronted original alternative rock, but it sounded sharp, and whet my appetite to see more of this band at some point down the road.

After Tomorrowland finished, acoustic artist Matt Sheedy commenced his performance near the Bookstore. Matt strummed out a mixture of original tunes and ‘90s favorites from Sublime, Sugar Ray, Weezer and others.

There were other activities as well, including children’s activities and colored chalk drawing on the sidewalk area in front of the Slep Center, canoe races, various games for students set up below the Slep Center, displays and tables by various eco-friendly organizations and businesses, and more.

With the weather sunny and pleasant, traffic was heavy through the Earth Day Festival area, as students and community members took advantage of the occasion to enjoy an afternoon in the sun.

Tomorrowland performs outside the Penn State Altoona Bookstore.

Chuck Knepper and Patty Helbig enjoy a round of frisbee.

Again, Tomorrowland.

Matt Sheedy performs outside the Penn State Altoona Bookstore.

Again, Matt Sheedy.

Some students enjoy canoeing on the campus’ reflecting pond.

THREEWAY @ YESTERDAY’S PARTY, EBENSBURG 4/23/10

My destination this Friday night was Yesterday’s Party in Ebensburg, to catch my first look at Threeway.

Formed from the ashes of My Friend Frankie and Camino Sky, Threeway unites singer/bassist Candi (“Licious”) from the former with guitarist/singer Joshua Miles and drummer Dave Wessels from the latter. Matt Kyle, who played with both Josh and Dave a decade ago with Coil/Madcheddar, plays keys.

I arrived midway through the first of Threeway’s two long sets. They struck up the party with their upbeat mixture of female-leaning current and classic rock favorites. Candi displayed a strong, clear voice on numbers like Meredith Brooks’ “Bitch,” Scandal’s “Goodbye to You,” Katie Perry’s “I Kissed a Girl,” No Doubt’s “Just a Girl” and the Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated.” She deferred to Josh to sing lead on Sublime’s “What I Got” and Lit’s “All the Small Things.” Late in the set, the dance floor came to life, setting the tone for activity for the duration of the night.

Kudos to soundman Brad Hawken for spinning the Halestorm CD during set break!

Candi and Threeway opened their latter set with Hole’s “Celebrity Skin,” and Candi nailed the Courtney Love vocal to a tee! This set spread the vocal chores out more evenly between Candi, Josh, Matt and Dave. Dancers more quickly took to the floor during this set, as Matt sang the lead on Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69.” Candi flexed her pipes on The Outfield’s “Your Love,” and Josh represented vocally on Eddie Money’s “Take Me Home Tonight” and Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny.” The party continued through tunes from Blondie, Katrina & the Waves, Bon Jovi, Nickelback, Jimmy Eat World, the Bangles and Billy Idol.

A touch of comic relief occurred for Threeway’s version of House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” as Josh introduced Dave to front the tune: “We’re going to be as cliché as hell…Here’s the most talented black guy in the house”…(to front on a rap song).

To which Dave responded after peering around the room, “I’m the only one!”

Matt scored a hat trick on the night; fronting Threeway on the aforementioned Bryan Adams tune, Nickelback’s “Something in Your Mouth” and Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” playing keys on most of the numbers, and taking over drum duties when Dave came out to rap on “Jump Around.” If he can learn guitar on one number, he’ll hit for the cycle!

Threeway’s performance was fun and exciting, as the group kept the energy level and music constant, were cordial and friendly in their presentation, and kept things lighthearted with their back-and-forth joking during the course of their sets.

The dance floor stayed busy for the duration, and Threeway successfully kept Y-P partying. This was a strong performance and a good time, and showed me that this band is poised to be a regional party force as word of their fun onstage presentation spreads around.

Threeway parties down at Yesterday’s Party.

Josh Miles of Threeway.

Candi of Threeway.

Again, Threeway.

Again, Candi of Threeway.

Again, Josh of Threeway.

Dave Wessels of Threeway.

More of Josh of Threeway.

Again, Dave Wessels.

A guest joins Threeway to play tambourine.

The tambourine-playing guest, Dave and Candi.

More of Threeway.

Dave fronts Threeway on “Jump Around.”

Once again, Dave Wessels.

Matt Kyle of Threeway, behind the drum kit.

More of Threeway.

Matt Kyle on keys.

Matt Kyle singing lead. Hat trick!

Threeway keeps ‘em dancing.

Once again, Candi of Threeway.

Back behind the kit, Dave Wessels.

One more time, Threeway.

WHITE WITCH/44 MAG/KILL LEFTY @ HARD ROCK CAFÉ, PITTSBURGH 4/24/10

I had almost forgotten how much fun bus trips to rock concerts were!

The occasion was Williamsport hard rockers White Witch landing a show at Pittsburgh’s Hard Rock Café on Station Square. White Witch first played at this venue two years ago, and succeeded in achieving a return visit. Joining them were two other Williamsport-based bands, 44 Mag and Kill Lefty.

How did White Witch manage to get a music reporter from Altoona to attend this Pittsburgh gig? By having a chartered bus of musicians and fans traverse through Altoona to pick me up en route to Pittsburgh! We established Logan Town Centre just off I-99 as the rendezvous point; and as soon as I boarded the bus, I knew I was in for a wild and crazy time!

Shortly after the bus returned to I-99 and proceeded south toward the Route 22 interchange, one female fan stepped forward to the front of the bus, sat down on White Witch frontman Jeff Pittinger’s lap (he was seated across the aisle from me) and asked him if it would be possible for the bus to pull off somewhere for a cigarette break, since smoking wasn’t permitted on the charter bus. Jeff consulted with me, and I told him that there were shopping plaza areas at stop lights in Ebensburg where the bus could pull off. We pulled off at the former Hills Plaza, where McDonalds and KFC were located…and, as a number of bus passengers quickly discovered, a state store. The state store probably did more business from that busload of passengers than it did from the Ebensburg locals for that entire day!

After the passengers reboarded the bus with Mickey Dees, KFC and state store brown bags, the bus was again back on Route 22 en route to Pittsburgh. Another big thrill of this trip occurred as the bus traveled the rest of the way through Cambria and Indiana Counties, when a succession of unmarked state police cars speeded past in the opposite direction with lights and sirens blazing. Something was up, driven home when a state police paddy wagon speeded past. (I later learned that a standoff with a Hastings resident holed up inside his home was the apparent destination of all this police activity.)

The bus rolled into Station Square around 8:30, with the show itself set to start at 10. The bands and soundman Kevin Gross had to quickly get to work to have everything set to go by showtime.

In the meantime, I lucked out and was hooked up with a table in a prime spot, on one of the upper decks near the front of the stage. As I ordered up some dinner, I noted two bachelorette and 21st birthday parties happening on the main floor nearby. A number of young ladies were celebrating at both parties, and Hard Rock Café stage announcer and waiter “Zoo” was emceeing the ceremonial drinks for both parties. Although I thoroughly enjoy my jobs, I remarked to Zoo later that I was envious of him; he had to have one of the most fun jobs in the world!

And part of that job is introducing the bands onstage at the Hard Rock. Zoo doesn’t give the bands just any ordinary intro; this guy plays up each band like we’re getting ready to see the prize fight of the decade! Zoo’s intros are entertaining and often funny; he was worth the cost of admission alone! Zoo gave his blustery intro to the night’s first band, Kill Lefty.

Four members strong, Kill Lefty cranked out hard-hitting rock from the ‘70s to present. With the Williamsport faithful cheering them on, Kill Lefty lit up the Hard Rock with hard rock from Judas Priest, Cars, Nazareth, Ted Nugent, Poison, a modern-rocking update of Flock Of Seagulls’ “I Ran” and more. For their last song, Europe’s “The Final Countdown,” the group welcomed 44 Mag bassist Jason Miller to play keys and the midsong guitar solo. These guys were solid, with singer Tim showing the ability to sing and scream. Kill Lefty successfully warmed up the crowd and set the tone for the rest of the show.

The Hard Rock Café’s ring announcer for the festivities, Zoo. This man alone was worth the price of admission!

Kill Lefty kicks off the music.

Josh Ulrich of Kill Lefty.

Tim of Kill Lefty.

C.J. Plank of Kill Lefty.

Again, Tim of Kill Lefty.

Kill Lefty gets some fans in front of the stage early.

Again, C.J. of Kill Lefty.

Again, Josh Ulrich of Kill Lefty.

After the gear changeover and another rousing intro from Zoo, Billtown metallists 44 Mag lit up the Hard Rock Café with their set of mostly original metal. This group had extra reason to be fired up for the occasion, as this was the swan song performance for rhythm guitarist Drew Lomison, moving on after ten years. Drew, lead guitarist Josh Welteroth, singer Chad Warren, bassist Jason Miller and drummer Jesse Roedts unleashed their fury with Slayer-like tenacity, setting the stage front crowd into motion with pummelling rhythms, searing guitar work and savage, raging vocals. Several songs from the group’s Past Sins CD made it into the mix this night, including “Violent Confrontation” and “Last Supper”; and 44 Mag introduced several newer assaults this night such as “One More Time” and “Blackened Eyes.” The group also broke out one cover, setting some fans into crowd-surfing mode with Iron Maiden’s “The Trooper.” It was a charged, all-out celebration of metal that stirred the pot and kept folks excited.

44 Mag commences their set.

Chad Warren of 44 Mag.

44 Mag and rowdy fans.

Josh Welteroth of 44 Mag.

Drew Lomison, Chad Warren and Jason Miller of 44 Mag.

Again, 44 Mag and fans.

It’s a metal meltdown with 44 Mag.

Jason and Chad of 44 Mag.

Again, Josh Welteroth of 44 Mag.

Jesse Roedts of 44 Mag.

Once again, Josh Welteroth.

More of 44 Mag.

One more time, 44 Mag.

The headliners and instigators of this whole evening, White Witch, soon took the stage to finish off the night. “Uncle Jeff” Pittinger on lead voice, guitarist Doug Lehman (who again flew in from his home quarters of West Palm Beach, Florida to gig this night), and the recuperated rhythm section of bassist Bill Zimmerman and drummer Carl Berry (both back in action after recent health scares) brought their own brand of rocking thunder with a mixture of original songs and classic hard-rocking covers. Opening with their title song “White Witch,” the group plowed through original assaults such as “The Power,” “Marrianne,” “Slaughter In Salem,” “Game That I Play,” “Singleman” and “The Crutch.” White Witch also honored their influences, performing renditions of Ozzy’s “Crazy Train,” Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid,” Alice Cooper’s “No More Mr. Nice Guy” and Judas Priest/Joan Baez’s “Diamonds and Rust”; and they also introduced a new cover this night, Thin Lizzy’s “The Boys Are Back in Town.” White Witch’s execution was tight and forceful, and Jeff was again the personality onstage, bantering with the audience between songs and guiding them through the group’s hard-rocking journey.

Recovered from his bout with spinal meningitis last year, Bill Zimmerman of White Witch.

White Witch rocks the Hard Rock.

Doug Lehman of White Witch.

Doug Lehman and Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

“Uncle Jeff” Pittinger of White Witch.

Carl Berry of White Witch.

Again Doug Lehman.

Again, Carl Berry.

Again, Bill Zimmerman.

Again, White Witch.

Again, “Uncle Jeff” of White Witch.

Once again, Doug Lehman.

Jeff of White Witch and partying fans.

Jeff and Bill of White Witch.

Once again, Jeff Pittinger.

Again, Carl Berry of White Witch.

Again working his strings, Doug Lehman.

Yet again, “Uncle Jeff.”

Once again, Bill Zimmerman.

One more time, Doug and Jeff of White Witch with some rowdy fans.

Rain had arrived during the course of the show, and the trip back home ran into some interesting moments courtesy of thick fog along the ridgetops on Route 22, which brought the bus to a crawl. Our bus driver watched in amazement as a Sheetz gasoline tanker rig passed us going at about 60 miles an hour through the thick fog. With most passengers asleep and/or passed out, the bus dropped me off at Logan Town Centre just after 4 AM.

It was a fun and memorable night of bus riding thrills and hard-hitting rock. Thanks to Jeff and the White Witch contingent for making it all possible!

One of the artifacts above where I was sitting, an autographed Foreigner cymbal.

Also near where I was sitting, the Nirvana wall.

Also nearby, an autographed Triumph drum head.

In the hallway leading to the rest rooms, a Tori Amos concert poster.

20TH ANNUAL “CRAZY FEST” AMATEUR YOUTH TALENT SHOW @ GREENWOOD FIRE HALL, ALTOONA 4/25/10

It was 20 years ago that Dennie Huber started doing an annual amateur talent show at the former A&J IAIA American Legion facility along 9th Avenue in Altoona. Because he never knew exactly what types of talent might show up, Dennie dubbed the event “Crazy Fest.”

In its early years, “Crazy Fest” featured both adult and children amateur entertainers, competing in various age divisions for a variety of trophies, plaques, and other awards and prizes. After a few years, Dennie narrowed the scope of the competition to youth ages 21 and under. After the A&J IAIA Post closed, Dennie successfully found a new venue for the event, the Greenwood Firehall.

Numerous area musicians and entertainers have graced the “Crazy Fest” stage over the event’s first two decades; including Aaron Kimmel, Crystal Cameron, Crystal Marie, Elaini, Typhani Russo, Angela Dodson, Biranda “Honey Brown” Goodman, Anthony Harrison, Don Hughes, Nick Finochio and more. And since amateur rock bands have always been welcomed, “Crazy Fest” also has played host to such future local band favorites as Dead Reckoning, Misconceived, Sound Driven, Choco Sam, Past Curfew, Dragon Fire, and – performing in exhibition during the 1999 event – eventual Atlantic Recording artists Halestorm!

Once again on this Sunday afternoon, youngsters and their parents, families, friends and fans converged on the Greenwood Firehall for the 20th installment of “Crazy Fest.” What youngsters would capture the hearts and imaginations of the audience this year? And what performers would come up with that off-the-wall talent or performance that would reinforce the event’s title of “Crazy Fest?”

In usual “Crazy Fest” fashion, Dennie started things off shortly after 1 PM with his introduction and a brief history of the event; again promising parents and youngsters that this was not “American Idol,” and that no Simon Cowell-types would degrade or berate the young contestants. The purpose of “Crazy Fest” has always been to encourage, and never discourage, young talent. The performers would be judged by a panel comprised of former “Crazy Fest” contestants; this year including Crystal Marie Keller, Kaitlyn Marie Baker, Kayla Hilton, Renee Staines, Elaini and Anthony Harrison.

Marking the two decade milestone of “Crazy Fest,” show organizer and host Dennie Huber.

Running sound and coordinating audio accompaniment for the contestants, Jack Servello.

The initial formalities out of the way, the contests began, starting with the age 7-9 division. All five contestants in this category were dancers. The first, Cianna Stone of Hollidaysburg, had her own prop of a pink-draped bed that she emerged from, sleeping princess-style, to do her showy dance routine. Pamela Lantz of Altoona did a combination dance and judo routine, complete with her own assistant “fall girl” for the judo portion. Tyson Irvin of Altoona performed country ballet, Jaydyn Shuke of Altoona did a lyrical dance, and Haley Stampley of Altoona also did a dance routine to close out this age bracket. When the judges’ scores were tallied, Cianna Stone’s routine captured top honors.

Next was the first of several exhibition performers; all former “Crazy Fest” contestants who had either aged out of the competition or turned professional. Nikki (Smith) Wilt was of the latter category; she has sung aboard Disney Cruise Lines. She sang a rendition of Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet,” before Dennie presented her with a “Crazy Fest” Outstanding Achievement Award.

The afternoon’s first exhibition performer, former “Crazy Fest” contestant Nikki (Smith) Wilt.

With a number of contestants aged 10, this age group was given its own division for this year’s “Crazy Fest.” Stevie Moses (of E.V.K. fame) kicked off this division by singing and playing guitar on a song. Next was eventual winner Melena Ratchford of Hollidaysburg, who did a dance performance to Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Want to Have Fun.”

Stevie Moses of Hollidaysburg kicks off the age 10 division. He didn’t perform any Sex Pistols songs this day.

Not looking at all “torn and frayed” this day, Stevie Moses’ dad videotapes his son’s “Crazy Fest” performance.

In a performance that maintained the “Crazy” in “Crazy Fest,” Dalton Farabaugh of Portage demonstrated what Dennie described as a carnival talent called “card sharpshooting.” Dalton took a deck of playing cards, and fired the cards one by one at several celery stalks positioned upright; the objective was to cut down the celery stalks with the cards. With Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger” playing through the sound system, Dalton brought the fury as he slung the cards at the target. After he established his rhythm, Dalton starting cutting down the stalks, and more were presented. This kid threw some serious heat, maybe the Pittsburgh Pirates ought to look at him! Afterward, Dennie held up one of the sawed-off celery stalks and asked if anybody had any peanut butter!

Dalton Farabaugh of Portage shows the “Crazy Fest” audience the carnival stunt of “card sharpshooting.”

Again, Dalton Farabaugh in action.

Dalton winds up…

Stee-rike!!! He mows down that stalk of celery!

Dalton continues to throw some heat…The Pittsburgh Pirates might want to give this kid a look, he’s throwing more heat than half of the Bucs’ starting rotation!

Dalton throws a sinker.

Another strike!

Following Dalton was Trevor Sholly of Bellwood, who sang and strummed acoustic guitar on a song called “Fearless Love”; and Aleyah Arthur of Altoona, closing the 10-year-old division with a ballet routine.

Another exhibition performer, Kayla Hilton, then stepped up to sing a number, and like Nikki Wilt before, also received a “Crazy Fest” Outstanding Achievement Award from Dennie Huber.

Singing in exhibition, former “Crazy Fest” contestant Kayla Hilton.

Next was the age 11 to 13 bracket. Shannon Barnes of Hollidaysburg started off by singing a show tune, followed by dancer Elizabeth Vaughn. Ireland McCreeny of Altoona performed a hip-hop dance routine, and Syndi Piner of Altoona finished with another dance routine. The judges declared both Shannon and Syndi a tie for top honors.

One of the two winners in the age 11 to 13 division, Shannon Barnes of Hollidaysburg.

Another exhibition performer, Elaini, stepped up from the judging table to take her turn singing and playing guitar, performing a rendition of “Tennessee Waltz.”

Performing in exhibition, Elaini.

Dennie Huber re-introduces and recaps the age 13 and under contestants.

The age 14 and 15 division featured three contestants, and also resulted in a tie for top honors. One half of that tie was violinist Tasha Stevens of Altoona, whose spirited performance had the “Crazy Fest” audience clapping along. The other half of the tie belonged to singer D-Jay Dunio of Altoona, who followed. And also impressive was the other contestant, Hunter White of Altoona, who sang the title song from Fame the Musical.

One of the winners in the age 14-15 division, Altoona violinist Tasha Stevens.

D-Jay Dunio of Altoona sings in his “Crazy Fest” performance. D-Jay and Tasha Stevens both won top honors in the age 14-15 division, as the judges’ votes ended in a tie for both.

Hunter White of Altoona sings for the “Crazy Fest” audience.

The fourth exhibition performer of the afternoon was Anthony Harrison. Now operating his own independent recording label, PennSoulVania Records, Anthony gave the audience a clinic on how he creates his songs using his keyboard. He showed how he crafted the initial melody line and then looped it, then added accenting affects to support the song hook, and then sang his soulful lyrics over top of it. The song, “Do Better Than You,” is still a work in progress that Anthony is still developing; but this was a fascinating look inside an artist’s creative process. Afterward, Dennie Huber inducted Anthony into the “Crazy Fest” Hall of Fame.

Anthony Harrison shows the “Crazy Fest” audience how he creates a song.

Singing his newest creation, Anthony Harrison.

This led to the final age division, age 17 to 19, which also was declared a tie by the judges. First was an a cappella performer, Lindsey Miller of Altoona, who sang and performed sign language simultaneously for the audience. Annette Nagle of Altoona then followed with a stunning solo keyboard instrumental performance, before returning “Crazy Fest” contestant Andrew Brown of Hollidaysburg got the crowd cheering with his juggling performance. Both Annette and Andrew won top honors; Dennie added that Andrew is currently on the radar of the state fair association because of his juggling skills.

Performing an a cappella singing and sign language song, Lindsey Miller of Altoona.

Annette Nagle of Altoona displays her talents on keys. Her parents are talented area musicians as well, Dave and Kathy Nagle of Guardian fame.

Andrew Brown of Hollidaysburg demonstrates his juggling talents.

Andrew juggles higher and higher.

More juggling excitement with Andrew Brown.

One more time, Andrew Brown.

Dennie recaps the age 14 and older contestants.

Next was the duo category, featuring two contestants. First was the pair of singer Shannon Barnes and guitarist Stevie Moses, performing a song; followed by the young duo of Ian Fisher on guitar and Doug Rhodes on bass, doing a rendition of Jimi Hendrix’s “Purple Haze.” Shannon and Stevie received top honors in this category.

Stevie Moses and Shannon Barnes, performing in the “duo” category.

Again, Stevie and Shannon.

This year marked the return of the amateur band division, although just one band entered. Unknown won by default with their rendition of AC/DC’s “TNT.”

Ian Fisher and Nate Fisher of Unknown.

Unknown performs for the “Crazy Fest” judges and audience. After this day, this young group won’t be “unknown” any more at “Crazy Fest!”

The last competition was the performing group category, which featured two young dance groups, Old School and Jump, dancing to upbeat dance/pop soundtracks. Jump scored higher with the judges and won first place.

Dance group Old School demonstrates their routine.

Young dance group Jump performs their winning routine.

As the judges’ scores were tallied and audience votes were counted for the “Fan Favorite” awards, the day’s final exhibition performer, Crystal Marie Keller, stepped up to perform a version of Sherrie Austin’s “One Solitary Tear.”

Crystal Marie Keller, former “Crazy Fest” contestant who returns each year to help judge and perform.

It was then hardware time, as Dennie Huber announced the winners and handed out the hardware of trophies, plaques and awards. Dennie first presented all the age and performing category award winners, followed by several other “Crazy Fest” awards. The “Fan Favorite” awards, determined through audience voting, went to card-slinger Dalton Farabaugh in the boys’ division, while Hunter White won the girls’ award. Next was the “Future Star” awards, as picked by the judges; top honors went to Annette Nagle in the age 14 and older division, and to Shannon Barnes in the age 13 and under class. The “Outstanding” awards were handed out for several talent disciplines; Stevie Moses won for Outstanding Musician – Male, and to Annette Nagle for Outstanding Musician – Female. Cianna Stone won Outstanding Dancer, junior class; while Syndi Piner won Outstanding Dancer, senior class. Andrew Brown won the Outstanding Variety Act award, and the Outstanding Vocalist honors went to D-Jay Dunio in the male division and Shannon Barnes in the female division. Lastly, Dalton Farabaugh’s card sharpshooting display won the Most Original Performance honors.

This “Crazy Fest” again delivered what I expected. I saw lots of talented youngsters, and it will be interesting to track their progress as they continue to nurture and develop their skills; it’s very possible that we will see some of these kids on stages in theatre, the music scene, festivals, fairs and more in the years ahead. Dennie never claims credit for anybody who has ever moved on to successful entertainment careers after “Crazy Fest,” but many who have done so give credit to Dennie and this event for encouraging their endeavors and giving them the initial confidence boost to indulge their talents and dreams.

Dennie Huber would again like to thank all the contestants and their families, Jack Servello for providing sound, the Greenwood Volunteer Fire Company for the venue, all the sponsors, and the people who came out to support Crazy Fest. Although Dennie made no promises, here’s hoping that we will see a 21st “Crazy Fest” at this time again next year!

GANISTER @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/25/10

After completing weekly “Homegrown Rocker” duties at the broadcast workplace, I headed to Pellegrine’s to cap the weekend with Ganister.

Admittedly, since I was a little tired after all the “Crazy Fest” and “Homegrown Rocker” activities, I spent most of the time seated near Pellegrine’s rear entrance and watching Guv’nor Jesse’s original Star Trek episodes from DVD. But I did meander out front once or twice, and did a double-take when I saw Slacker Theory lead slacker Steve Danfelt subbing on guitar for Eric Smith. Ganister frontman Ken Gray identified Slacker Steve as Ganister’s newest member, but later told me he was just joking. Eric’s day job duties sometimes prohibit him from performing on Sunday nights, so Steve was called upon to do the honors this night.

What I heard sounded good, as Ganister rocked a modest-sized audience with numbers from Breaking Benjamin, Seether, Nickelback, Puddle Of Mudd, Buckcherry, Theory Of A Deadman, Finger Eleven, Godsmack and more. There were a few interesting highlights I noted, including a hard-hitting rendition of Elton John’s “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting,” and toward night’s end, a song I hadn’t heard on stage for ages, Fight’s “Little Crazy.” Ganister generated enough excitement with the audience that they got called back for an encore at night’s end, and responded with AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long.”

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: