· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/10/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday May 17, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/10/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/3/10

Hellbent on preventing another Monday from sucking, Pellegrine’s Wing Night again was serenaded by the dynamic duo of Adam D and Jess P, alias That’s What She Said. And with Jess back in the house, it was back to craziness.

Again performing in their lead vocal-alternating format, Adam and Jess performed a merry array of song material. Some of the more interesting song excursions this night included Adam’s keyboard and vocal stylings on Rainbow’s “Man on the Silver Mountain,” Stabbing Westward’s “Save Yourself,” Talking Heads’ “Psycho Killer,” U2’s “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” Benny Mardones’ “Into the Night” and Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades;” also his fractured take on Meatloaf’s “Paradise By the Dashboard Light,” which got tagged out between second and third base. Jess countered with her popular favorites, including Dixie Chicks’ “Goodbye to Earl,” the meow-along “Pussycat Song” and a rendition of the Temptations’ “My Girl” that exposed this Pelly’s audience’s inability to keep a steady clapping rhythm.

And of course, there was Gamber Gone Wild…Gamber really got loose this week, demonstrating proper S&M techniques with a leather belt on one of his female minion, before setting ladies to swooning with his weekly regurgitation of Looking Glass’ “Brandy.” Later in the night, the semi-retired broadcaster was tipping bar stools…but did he tip Natalie? Indeed, Gamber Gone Wild!

It was all in good fun and never taken too seriously, providing interesting entertainment to savor mass quantities of Pelly’s original recipe hot wings to…

Adam D and Jess P; That’s What She Said.

MOUNTAIN CITY GRASS @ HILLBILLY ROY’S, ALTOONA 5/5/10

It was Cinco de Mayo, and my college teaching duties had just finished for the semester, so I was ready to do some celebrating. And with bluegrass outdoor festival season around the corner, I needed to brush up on my Flatt, Scruggs, Stanley and Monroe musical lexicons. Enter Mountain City Grass, who was hosting an open bluegrass jam at Hillbilly Roy’s early this Wednesday eve. I had a hankering for Butch’s barbecue country ribs anyway, so this gave me all the more reason to show up!

It was a cozy little jam, with grassers Denny Cerully on guitar and vocals, Kate Cerully on upright bass, Ed Decker on guitar and vocals, Dean “Elmer” Berkhimer on banjo and Tom McCarty on mandolin doing a random selection of old timey bluegrass favorites. Denny called out the songs, and the group had a good time playing them, offering a loose, casual feel. The musicians frequently joked with one another; at one point, a fan from the bar complimented the group for playing their hearts out, to which Ed responded, “At our age, you don’t know if the next song will be your last!”

Several songs in, a guest named Ed showed up, and soon brought in his own guitar and sat in with the group.

Unplugged and un-amped, Mountain City Grass performed numbers such as Ralph Stanley’s “Katie Daly,” Bill Monroe’s “Little Georgia Rose,” the Statler Brothers’ “All I Have to Offer You,” traditional numbers like “New River Train,” “Let Me Fall,” “Rocky Top,” “Pick Me Up on Your Way Down” “When You and I Were Young” and “Fox on the Run.” Along the way, Ed Decker sang lead on “Legend of the Rebel Soldier.”

The music wrapped up by around 10 PM. The combination of laid-back bluegrass music and tasty country ribs and fries made for a good start to the night.

Mt. City Grass, having a hoedown at Hillbilly Roy’s.

With a second Ed joining in on guitar (left), Mt. City Grass.

Ed Decker, Kate and Denny Cerully of Mt. City Grass.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/5/10

From Hillbilly Roy’s, I headed a few doors up the street to Pellegrine’s, where Wednesday Jam Night was already in progress.

It turned out to be a busy Jam Night, with at least 18 different musicians taking the stage during the course of the evening. Craig from Blandburg was just finishing up a song as I arrived, and Ron Russell, accompanied by host Adam D on keys and Tim Yingling on drums, stepped up to do a version of Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me” and two original songs.

Next was Eric D, who did versions of “Tell It to Me,” “Wagon Wheel,” Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” Bob Dylan’s “Fixin’ to Die Blues” and the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women.”

Then it was two newcomers, Dave and Joe, representing a band project called Release. They did a version of The White Stripes’ “Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground,” along with a couple of original numbers.

The jamming then began, with a succession of musicians again platooning on and off stage to make the music happen. Involved were usual suspects such as Adam D, Big Jim, Priscilla the Tambourine Lady, Eric D and a percussion- and kazoo-playing Professor. Also joining in along the way were Phil Steele on keys; Jamie Shumac, Brian Weston and Kira Burley on vocals; and Tim Yingling on drums. During the latter stage of the night, Shallow9 frontlady Erica Marino stepped up to sing lead on Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee” and 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up”; Evan Rutherford provided the drum beats on “Sweet Home Alabama,” and a singing keyboard player named Rudy from Buffalo stepped in to demonstrate his barrelhouse piano style on the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.”

As has become the case every Wednesday night, it was another display of musicians letting their hair down and having fun making music together. It was about blending talents to make music and entertain the audience, with no egos in the room. There was no Mexican furvor to mark Cinco de Mayo, and no Santana tunes were harmed in the making of this Jam Night. Regardless, another good time!

Kira Burley sings a song during Pellegrine’s Jam Night.

Again, Kira Burley.

Adam D taps on the cajon as Erica Marino sings during Jam Night.

Left to right: Dave (I think), Adam, Jamie Shumac, Erica and Big Jim.

Big Jim and Erica.

Rudy from Buffalo on keys and vocals, Evan Rutherford behind the kit, and Big Jim.

Again, Rudy and Evan.

Big Jim, enjoying the jam.

Again, Evan Rutherford.

BATTLE OF THE ACOUSTICS (PT. 2) @ CITY HOTEL, NORTHERN CAMBRIA 5/6/10

The second preliminary round of the City Hotel’s “Battle of the Acoustics” again pitted seven acoustic-geared performers in musical competition for advancement to the final round on May 27, and a possible grand prize of $600 cash. Two more winners from this night would move on to join Rob & Scott and 6-String Redemption in the finals.

A bit more about the set-up of the contest…Audience members are handed ballots as they arrive, and are asked to circle their two favorite performers on the ballot. While some may dismiss this as a popularity contest, I like this method of voting for two of the performers on the ballots. That way, if we assume that someone’s first pick is friends or family, if they don't have a clear second personal interest, they might be more inclined to vote for a performer whose set caught their attention, that they may not personally know or have a vested interest in. No musical “battle” scenario is ever perfect, but this one gives the non-hometown favorites at least some chance in the mix.

As I ordered up my dinner of Cajun chicken on pasta (delicious, kind of a cajun variation on chicken alfredo pasta), the first contestant of the night, Joe Novak, kicked things off on the rear stage. Joe strummed and sang a selection of classics and original songs. He did numbers from Steve Miller Band, the Byrds, Tom Petty and Black Crowes, as well as his own sociopolitically-themed original tune “Gulfstream in the Sky,” which received a good round of applause from the crowd.

Leading things off, Joe Novak.

Next was Ken Gray, kicking off the activity on the front stage. The Ganister frontman strummed and played a wide selection of material, including Pearl Jam’s “Black,” 3 Doors Down’s “It’s not My Time,” Creed’s “Higher” and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy.” He also performed one of his own original tunes, “Saving Grace.”

Ken Gray musically states his case.

A little drama then ensued for the first time in this competition. The next two scheduled performers, Kenny Karlheim and Rick Ramsey, were not yet in the house. (Rick reportedly was en route back to town from Baltimore.) Since the fifth scheduled contestant, Andy Lubert, was in the house, he agreed to set up and go next on the rear stage. Andy impressed with a strong voice as he sang favorites from Grand Funk Railroad, Bob Seger, Green Day and J. Frank Wilson/Pearl Jam’s “Last Kiss,” before he led the growing City Hotel audience on sing-along renditions of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” and Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally.”

Andy Lubert performs during “Battle of the Acoustics.”

With the missing contestants still not in the house, the sixth-scheduled contestants, a duo called Acoustic Stew, next set up on the front stage. Featuring Jamie Dubetsky on guitar, harmonica and vocals and Tim Homerski on banjo, flute, tinwhistle and vocals, Acoustic Stew showed their musical versatility on a variety of classics; starting with songs from Tom Petty, Neil Young and Grateful Dead. Then the duo upped the ante with stirring renditions of Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath,” Marshall Tucker Band’s “Heard It in a Love Song” and Rusted Root’s “Send Me On My Way,” each accented with Tim’s woodwind edge. The pair then finished with one of Jamie’s original songs, “Smoking Blues.”

Jamie Dubetsky and Tim Homerski of Acoustic Stew.

Tim Homerski on flute.

By this point, the two missing contestants had both arrived. Rick Ramsey and his trio, simply called Ramsey, set up on the rear stage. Rick strummed guitar, sang and played harmonica; flanked by Ed Hofer on cajon and Wally Chidboy on djembe. The three did an interesting selection of classics, including Johnny Cash’s “I Walk the Line,” Elton John’s “Daniel,” CCR’s “Down on the Corner,” the Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band/With a Little Help from My Friends,” and for the finale, the fusing of Elvis’ “Hound Dog” with the theme of the old Jeffersons TV sitcom, “Movin’ On Up.” Would Ramsey be ‘movin’ on up’ to the final round? Time would soon tell.

With percussion accompaniment, Ramsey.

Kenny Karlheim then stated his case on the front stage. Kenny strummed and sang a sharp set of favorites, including Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire,” Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker,” Charlie Daniels’ “Leave That Long-Haired Country Boy Alone,” Men at Work’s “Down Under,” CCR’s “Lookin’ Out My Back Door,” the Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black” and Days Of The New’s “Touch Peel and Stand.”

Better late than never, Kenny Karlheim.

Finishing this night’s contest on the rear stage was a Johnstown-based performer named Ritz. I had never seen this performer before, but came away impressed by his rich voice and smooth presentation. Ritz did numbers from Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Bob Seger, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bruce Springsteen, and another song I didn’t recognize. One of the side benefits of me being the emcee of this event is getting to discover new names I haven’t seen before, and this night, Ritz was that discovery. I’ll have to catch one of his upcoming performances sometime.

The night’s final contestant, Ritz from Johnstown.

With the contestants now finished, the ballots were collected and votes counted. After a few minutes, the results were in…Ken Gray and Acoustic Stew won this round, and would advance to the finals.

Once again, a good-sized audience got to witness seven different acoustic performers. Win or lose as far as the entire “Battle of the Acoustics” is concerned, at least each performer this night got to perform in front of a large audience, and each likely won at least a few new fans that may show up at their future performances. In the grand scheme of things, live music was again the big winner this night.

CHRIS WOODWARD & SHINDIGGIN’ @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/7/10

Country was on my live music agenda this night, as Chris Woodward & ShinDiggin’ were performing at Pellegrine’s. Members of this band have been participating in Pelly’s weekly Wednesday Jam Night, and the whole band showed up to do a short set during one Jam Night not long ago.

Due to broadcast workplace duties, I didn’t arrive until during the group’s second set. Namesake Chris Woodward on vocals and guitar, lead guitarist Mike Gambardella, bassist D.J. Gates and drummer Jamie Shumac were striking up the party with a mix of hard-driving country and countrified rock, mixing original songs and favorites from both sides of the genre spectrum. As I arrived, they were doing one of Chris’ rowdier originals, “Whole Lotta Beer.” Along the way, they broke out an interesting country variation on Wild Cherry’s biggest hit, resulting in “Play That Country Music (Cowboy).” This was conveniently followed by Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy,” Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” and the interesting fusion of Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself” with Billy Ray Cyrus’ “Achy Breaky Heart.” After another of Chris’ originals, guest Kira Burley was coaxed to the stage to sing lead on three numbers, including Sugarland’s “Who Says You Can’t Go Home.” Chris then handed off the lead microphone spotlight to Jamie, who sang on the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” to close the set.

While Pelly’s was not packed for Chris and ShinDiggin’s first official visit, there were at least some country fans in the house, and more would populate the dance floor during the group’s nightcap set. This set featured more of Chris’ original songs, and a few more favorites as well. The dance floor became busy when the group did Hank Williams Jr’s “Family Tradition,” and folks kept dancing through Zac Brown Band’s “Chicken Fried.” Proclaiming “You Altoonians aren’t used to this country s**t; we’re gonna get you used to it,” Chris introduced “Yee Haw,” followed by Craig Morgan’s “International Harvester,” before the group ended the night on the rock’n’roll side of the spectrum with Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69.”

This edition of Chris Woodward & ShinDiggin represented well. Their execution was sharp and together, and they kept the tight and action-packed pace through the night. Chris offers a solid voice and strong personality up front that grabs attention and pulls listeners into the show. I liked the song mixture, which was largely upbeat and energetic.

With Chris and ShinDiggin embarking on a busy summer schedule of festivals and other outdoor dates, it’s uncertain when this group might return to Pellegrine’s. But hopefully a Pelly’s sequel is in store, so Chris can continue his quest to get the Altoona nightlife populace accustomed to live country music.

Chris Woodward & ShinDiggin, with special guest Kira Burley.

Again, Chris Woodward & ShinDiggin.

Chris Woodward.

D.J. Gates and Chris Woodward.

Again, Chris Woodward.

Mike Gambardella of Chris Woodward & ShinDiggin.

ASKING ANDY @ THE PONY LOUNGE, JOHNSTOWN 5/8/10

It had been a while since I last saw Harrisburg party force Asking Andy. It had also been a while since I last set foot in Johnstown’s Pony Lounge. With Asking Andy playing at the Pony this Saturday night, it was my opportunity to get caught up with both.

I arrived shortly before the start of Asking Andy’s second set. Right off the bat, frontman Keith Hoppes brandished the group’s “trademark” inflatable sheep at the front of the stage; the sheep lives! The group launched into their set of mostly current rock and party favorites, doing numbers by Fallout Boy, Jimmy Eat World and Weezer. Keith soon told the crowd that bassist Pat Riordan was incapacitated this night and unvailable to perform; so guitarists Brian Miller and Darrell Adams were splitting up bass duties, with Darrell doing the honors during this set. After leading the crowd on a sing-along version of Fuel’s “Shimmer,” Asking Andy smoothly fused together Weezer’s “Undone (The Sweater Song)” with Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker” and Better Than Ezra’s “Good.” At this point, a 21st birthday celebrant named Mindy was brought up on the stage to usher in her milestone birthday Asking Andy style; by drinking a tequila shot out of the butt of the inflatable sheep. The group then launched into SR-71’s “Right Now” and James’ “Laid,” before doing a rap-flavored hit that led into Sublime’s “What I Got.” Renditions of Maroon 5’s “Harder to Breathe” and Green Day’s “Basketcase” led to guest female singer Jess joining the group onstage for Blink 182’s “All the Small Things,” before the Darrell-fronted rendition of the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party)” closed the set.

Despite being a bass player short, Asking Andy was still delivering a brisk, high-energy party. Keith was a witty, charismatic frontman that drew and held the audience’s attention, and his instrumental support cast of Brian, Darrell and drummer Luke Barnhart sounded sharp and powerful behind him. Luke was booming out some serious beats; his thunder was a big component in powering this band’s party! The Pony Lounge crowd was in party mode, which made it a little easier for Asking Andy to deal with their adversity this night.

For their nightcap set, Brian took over bass duties as Darrell returned to guitar. Asking Andy kicked into Theory Of A Deadman’s “Bad Girlfriend,” and followed with Linkin Park’s “One Step Closer.” When an audience member requested Alice In Chains, Keith had to explain that the group’s set list was limited due to their bass player missing; still, they gave a respectable stab to “Man in the Box,” which they had never played before. Asking Andy successfully kept the party going full throttle for the duration with favorites from Proclaimers, Ramones, Wheatus, Simple Minds, Modern English, Rick Springfield and Kings Of Leon, before closing the night with Eddie Money’s “Take Me Home Tonight.”

Asking Andy lived the adage “the show must go on,” and successfully delivered the party sans their bass player. With a performance this strong when they’re undermanned, I can only imagine how charged this group now is when they are at 100 percent; hopefully I’ll catch another show soon when they are back to full strength!

Brandishing inflatable sheep, Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy.

Keith Hoppes introduces the inflatable sheep to birthday celebrant Mindy.

In a defining moment in her life, Mindy quaffs a tequila shot out of an inflatable sheep’s posterior. There’s probably a life lesson in that, somewhere.

Going it as a 4-piece this night, Asking Andy.

Luke Barnhart of Asking Andy.

Brian Miller of Asking Andy.

Again, Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy.

With guest singer Jess helping out, Asking Andy.

Again, Jess and Asking Andy.

Darrell Adams of Asking Andy.

Once again, Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy.

Asking Andy keeps the Pony’s dance floor busy.

Again, Luke Barnhart of Asking Andy.

Once again, Keith of Asking Andy and a busy dance floor.

One more time, Asking Andy.

7TH GEAR @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/9/10

The old adage says, “Some nights you get the bear, and other nights the bear gets you.”

And this night, the bear essentially took a dump on Pellegrine’s.

Shallow9 was originally scheduled to play. Logistics prevented me from catching several of their shows recently, so I was eagerly looking forward to seeing them in my own backyard this night; for what would have been my first time since they played last November’s Toys for Tots benefit at 30 Something.

But shortly after I arrived at Pellegrine’s during the 11 PM hour, I learned that Shallow9 wasn't there. Instead, 7th Gear was in the house, and started up shortly after I arrived. Some fans arriving for Shallow9 turned away when they learned the group wasn't there, and other people not hearing a band upon their arrival also retreated from the door; resulting in a miniscule crowd by the time 7th Gear was able to start.

As I looked in on 7th Gear once they were under way, virtually nobody was in Pelly’s main band room. The crowd around the main bar was the only crowd in the house.

I retreated to the rear room near the entrance, where my fate was sealed. Pelly’s security man Forrest brought along an irresistable DVD of the week, Avatar. The gravitational pull from Avatar on Pelly’s widescreen telly kept me riveted for the duration, preventing me from returning to the band room for the rest of the night.

Not that it mattered all that much, as once 7th Gear ended their set, they apparently called it a night and started breaking down gear. I’m not clear on whether both band and bar agreed to end things early or not, but I know at least one person showed up late and paid the cover to hear only three songs. He was not pleased.

With no band left to review this night, here are my thoughts on Avatar…I liked. Good flick, and I can understand why it was the big hit in the theaters that it was. The cinematography was innovative and unique. This is one of those movies that successfully takes you to a whole different world and reality, almost entrancing you with its many imaginative settings and effects. The planet scenery in this movie reminded me a lot of some of those classic Yes album covers that Roger Dean designed. (As it turns out, I’m not the only person who noticed this; if you Google “Roger Dean Avatar,” you’ll find a lot of debate about this issue in artist internet circles; some Yes fans think Dean should sue James Cameron for stealing his ideas.) There is a lot of imagery in this film to behold, and enough action and plot to sustain my interest from start to end. I give Avatar the thumbs up, and plan to purchase my own DVD copy soon.

As live music goes, a disappointing end to the weekend, but seeing Avatar helped make up for it.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: