· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK RECAP 7/30/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Aug 25, 2010 

WEEK RECAP 7/30/10

(NOTE: A short one this time, as I left for vacation on Friday...The vacation recap will soon follow.)

DOUBLE-D @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/26/10

Not much to report here…I got to Pellegrine’s relatively late this night, and since it was a slow night with few people in the house, Adam D and Eric D – Double-D – called it a night shortly after midnight. I caught all of about six songs, as the two musicians alternated singing duties back and forth. The only unusual tune I caught was Adam’s lounge-flavored take on Judas Priest’s “Breaking the Law,” considered sacrilege in some cultures…

HALF TEMPTED @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 7/28/10

Half Tempted was playing the Blair County Community Action Agency’s “Summer in the City” concert series at downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza this night, so I decided to swing by and see what Ron, Joe and Clint were up to.

A large crowd was on hand as I arrived, just in time for Half Tempted’s second and final set. Storming into the set with Kiss’ “Detroit Rock City,” Half Tempted kicked butt and took names as they fired off hard-hitting classics like AC/DC’s “Whole Lotta Rosie” and “Highway to Hell,” Queen’s “We Will Rock You” into “Tie Your Mother Down,” Brownsville Station’s “Smokin’ In the Boys Room,” Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion,” Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Night,” the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” and Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” to close the night.

Priscilla the Tambourine Lady was tapping along, and a variety of folks from kids to seniors were dancing, jumping and cavorting in front of the stage; including a lady in a wheelchair, who did circles in front of the stage while bobbing her head and grooving along.

The weather was warm and the rock was hot, and a good time was had by all.

A few fans gather around as Half Tempted commences their nightcap set.

Joe George of Half Tempted.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Ron jams with Priscilla the Tambourine Lady.

Clint Carothers of Half Tempted.

The wheelchair lady starts doing laps to Half Tempted’s performance.

One more time, Half Tempted and fans.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/28/10

Although attendance and musician participation has mostly been brisk lately for Pellegrine’s Wednesday open mic and jam night, this week’s edition was a little slow on both counts, with only a small audience and just a few musicians in the house. But there were enough musicians present to make jams and music happen.

Shark Bite – the pairing of Adam D and Big Jim – were performing when I first got there. The two did favorites from Rick Springfield, Charlie Daniels, Doors, Pink Floyd, Dobie Gray and more. Then Bill Nusom – making his Jam Night debut – stepped up to sing lead with Big Jim on Five Man Electrical Band’s “Signs” and the Allman Brothers’ “Soulshine.” Adam and Jim then continued with several more numbers, including a request for Big Jim’s rendition of Glenn Frey’s “Party Town” (or as Guv’nor Jesse requests it, the “Kiss My Ass Song!”).

Then long distance guest Mark Sopic from Curwensville took the stage to do a few numbers; including Jimmy Buffett’s “Come Monday,” the Beatles’ “Rocky Raccoon” and “Do You Want to Know a Secret,” the novelty song “I’m My Own Grandpaw,” and an especially impressive rendition of Bob Dylan’s “Lay LadY Lay,” with Mark’s voice sounding remarkably close to the original Dylan version!

Next was recent Jam Night frequent flyer Rich Dasch, who stepped up to do a variety of classics; including Neil Young’s “Sugar Mountain,” CCR’s “Who’ll Stop the Rain,” J. Frank Wilson/Pearl Jam’s “Last Kiss,” the Drifters’ “Under the Boardwalk,” Jim Croce’s “You Don’t Mess Around with Jim” and John Cafferty’s “On the Dark Side.”

At about this point, the jam session kicked in, with the musicians in the house joining Rich to match wits on a variety of tunes. Adam D, Big Jim, Rich, Mark, Gary Leighty and yours truly – providing the percussion this night on bongos and cajon since there was no drum kit in the house – had fun jamming on Neil Young’s “Old Man,” the Beatles’ “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” and Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker.”

The jam participants then took a break, as Eric D showed up and plugged in to do a solo set. Eric did his variety of classic rock, folk and Americana with a few interesting twists along the way. He did versions of Bob Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” Steppenwolf’s “The Pusher,” Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil,” Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down,” “Wagon Wheel” and Devil Makes Three’s “Old Number Seven.”

A late arrival then closed out the night. The Issues Entertainment contingent of comedians Brandon Pine and Adam Banks arrived, and Adam (“The Guy with Issues”) strapped on the guitar and sang four numbers. Adam displayed an excellent and soulful voice as he did versions of the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet Melissa,” Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On,” and the Bob Marley double-shot of “Songs of Freedom” and “No Woman No Cry” to end the night.

Summer diversions often diminish nightspot crowds this time of year, so while there weren’t many people in the house for this week’s jam night, those who did show up had fun.

Bill Nusom and Big Jim partake in Pellegrine’s Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night.

Curwensville’s Mark Sopic.

The “Guy with Issues,” Adam Banks.

EMILY’S TOYBOX/MICHAEL O’BRIAN BAND @ LAKEMONT PARK WINGOFF, ALTOONA 7/29/10

A lot of people had this WingOff circled on the schedule; the week when Emily’s Toybox returned to Lakemont Park to entertain the wing-eating hordes.

I had hoped to arrive early this night to avoid the lines and take in the opening performance by the Michael O’Brian Band, but work-related duties delayed my arrival until near the end of Michael O’Brian Band’s show. I did hear Mike Zerbee and Brian Anderson do their rendition of U2’s “With or Without You” as I waited in line to procure some wings from the Molly Maguire’s pavilion. I tried their Irish rub variety wings (whatever they called it, I forget)…not bad!

I watched Emily’s Toybox’s first set from afar, as I sat at a bench and enjoyed my wing feast. The group quickly had the all ages crowd partying down on various favorites spanning Bon Jovi to House Of Pain to the “Chicken Dance,” their original song “I’m the Bomb,” and a surprise rendition of the Who’s “Baba O’Reilly” to close the set.

One of the things I most looked forward to this night was seeing Emily’s Toybox drummer Wade Corbin back in action, following his serious head injury from last November’s car accident. I went over and touched base with Wade during set break; he definitely was glad to be back to doing his thing behind the kit, and happy to be alive.

Wade, lead singer/guitarist Mike Wise, bassist Milhouse and guitarist Rick Lienhard soon started into their nightcap set with Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,” and again delivered a freewheeling set of favorites from across the spectrum. They broke into Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “Baby Got Back,” before fusing Sublime’s “What I Got” with Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker.” Rick sang lead on Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy,” and the group dug into the Beatles catalog for “I Saw Her Standing There.” Out of a Young MC “Bust a Move” tease, the group broke into John Mellencamp’s “Jack and Diane,” as several youngsters started dancing behind the band onstage. The party continued with Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O Mine,” before Milhouse fronted the group on Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell.” Mike rallied the WingOff crowd to shout along with the Toybox anthem “Back of the Bus,” before the group rocked the set home with Pantera’s “Cowboys from Hell.” When the crowd demanded more, Emily’s Toybox responded with a PG-13 rendition of their popular original tune “Bionic.”

This exhaustive go-for-broke good time showed that Emily’s Toybox was still as wild and zany as ever. And the crowd support showed that Altoona live music venues are still clearly missing the boat in not trying to bring this band around this town more than once a year.

Emily’s Toybox entertains the WingOff masses.

Rick Lienhard of Emily’s Toybox.

Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox.

Milhouse of Emily’s Toybox.

Back in action, Wade Corbin of Emily’s Toybox.

Again, Mike Wise.

Where’s JP? Somewhere immersed in the huge WingOff crowd. (Photo by Mike Wise)

Again, Rick Lienhard.

A youngster named Galen joins Rick and Milhouse on stage.

Mike high-fives Galen.

More youngsters join in the fun behind Mike and Emily’s Toybox.

Again, Mike and the kids.

More of Mike and the youngsters.

Yet more of the kids having fun with Mike and Emily’s Toybox.

Once again, Milhouse.

A lady busts some dance moves alongside Milhouse.

Emily’s Toybox keeps the large WingOff crowd partying down.

Young Galen sits on the stage and takes in Emily’s Toybox.

Again, Wade Corbin.

More of Emily’s Toybox and the crowd.

The party continues.

Young Galen brandishes a tambourine.

Once again, Galen.

Once again, Emily’s Toybox and the crowd.

One more time, Wade Corbin.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: