· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/30/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Nov 13, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/30/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/23/10

This Monday night’s edition of wings and That’s What She Said at Pellegrine’s provided some special highlights.

The big highlight was watching father and daughter in action, as Jess P’s father, Sam Pellegrino, was in the house and performed several times with Jess. The two performed together shortly after I first arrived, displaying tight harmonies on such selections as the Beatles’ “Norwegian Wood” and “Don’t Let Me Down,” Simon & Garfunkel’s “Homeward Bound,” Sonny Boy Williamson’s “Bring It On Home” and more.

Adam D and Jess then alternated singing duties for a while, with Adam doing his rendition of Billy Joel’s “Piano Man,” a cathedral-flavored take on Neil Young’s “Like a Hurricane,” his lounge take on Judas Priest’s “Breaking the Law” and Styx’s “Come Sail Away.” The Gamber Gone Wild segment this night went wild on Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville.”

Issues Entertainment comedy man Adam Banks then stepped up to sing a few songs solo, flexing his vocal chords on Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” Neil Young’s “Old Man,” Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On,” Dave Mason/Joe Cocker’s “Feelin’ Alright,” and Bob Marley’s “Songs of Freedom” and “No Woman No Cry.”

Father and daughter then returned to close out the night, with Sam and Jess doing the Rolling Stones’ “Angie,” 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up,” a song from the Beatles’ White Album and Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.” Again their harmonies sounded very good, and their performance provided a nice change-up in the regular Monday night musical routine.

Father and daughter: Sam Pellegrino and Jess P.

Again, Sam and Jess.

Once again, Sam Pellegrino and Jess P.

One more time, Sam and Jess.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/25/10

A multitude of musicians again converged on Pellegrine’s this night for the weekly Wednesday jam night, and good times were again had by all.

Jeff Renner on guitar, Adam D on keys and voice, Big Jim on bass and Terry Wilt on drums were rocking out to Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” as I first arrived. This combination of players continued with Kid Rock’s “All Summer Long” and Eric Clapton’s “Cocaine,” before guest singer Brian Weston and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady joined in for Queen’s “Crazy Little Thing Called Love.” Jamie Shumac jumped behind the drum kit for “All Along the Watchtower,” and the music continued with Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me” and AC/DC’s “The Jack.” John Buterbaugh added his guitar to the mix for the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times,” and this group of musicians then lit it up on the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post.”

At this point, the group cleared the stage and made way for Rich Dasch to do a few songs solo. Rich started with Neil Young’s “Sugar Mountain,” and continued with Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s “Mr. Bojangles” and Van Morrison’s “Moondance.” Jamie accompanied on drums for Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” and the Rolling Stones’ “Get Off of My Cloud.”

Harmonica Dave then stepped in to do two of his own songs on solo harp. Dave’s style ranges from blues to folk and old-western styled harp, and sounds tight and controlled. Good stuff!

Eric D next took the spotlight, doing his selection of acoustic rock and folk. Some of his songs included “Wagon Wheel,” Bob Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold,” John Lennon’s “Working Class Hero,” John Prine’s “Angel from Montgomery” and more. Eventually, Eric’s set evolved into another jam session, as various musicians started joining in. Adam D, Rich Dasch, Jeff Renner, Terry Wilt, Big Jim, Jamie Shumac, Brian Weston and the bongo-playing Professor took part on tunes from the Rolling Stones, Bob Seger, AC/DC, Steppenwolf, ZZ Top, Beatles and more.

Adam Banks then closed out jam night with four songs, doing the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet Melissa,” Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On,” and Bob Marley’s “Songs of Freedom” and “No Woman No Cry.”

Again, the jams and performances were fun, and the music was well-received by the Pelly’s audience.

FULL KILT/GREEN EGGS @ LAKEMONT PARK WINGOFF 8/26/10

This…was a bittersweet evening.

The good news was that it was again the Lakemont Park WingOff…The bad news was that it was the final one for another summer. And for summer fun enthusiasts like me, the final WingOff is the first of that annual sequence of events that ushers the summer season out the door and starts the downhill slide toward winter.

I arrived a little bit late to this WingOff finale, and thus only got to see a portion of Full Kilt’s performance under the pavilion. But as they did the week before, the kilted combo of singer/guitarist Mike Zerbee, bassist/bodhranist Chris Myers, fiddle lady Mandy Passmore and drummer Pat Boland fired the crowd up with their blend of rocked-up Irish folk and Irished-up rock. What I witnessed of their performance included such songs as Great Big Sea’s “Fast As I Can,” the “Unicorn Song,” Van Morrison’s “Wild Night,” their own original “Plastic Paddies,” their Charlie Daniels adaptation “The Devil Went Down to Dublin,” and for the finale, their Irish-rocking spin on “Free Bird,” with Mandy again dropping jaws with her fiery fiddle work on all the Skynyrd guitar solo parts!

Shortly after Full Kilt finished, Green Eggs began. I have seen numerous Green Eggs performances over the years, and many excellent ones during that span. But this one had to rank as one of the best I’ve seen! From start to end, Green Eggs was a band on a mission, and that mission was to send the 2010 WingOffs off to glory with a go-for-broke party finish! Their arrangements were airtight and the music was constant, with very few breaks in the action during the two-set duration. The cast of singer/keyboard man Brian Nicarry, singer/bassist Brad Nicarry, guitarist/singer Matt Day and drummer Jake Gochenour covered just about every end of the pop music spectrum, leaving very few stones unturned in their quest to give everybody something to cheer about during the performance.

During their first set, Green Eggs mixed it up between current sounds with All American Rejects’ “Gives You Hell,” Lady GaGa’s “Poker Face” and Linkin Park’s “Bleed It Out”; ‘80s numbers from Bryan Adams, Outfield, Buggles, Rick Springfield, Tom Petty and Billy Idol, along with hair-band fare from Poison and Quiet Riot. They also touched on country with Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy” and Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” and broke out their takes on pop chestnuts like Abba’s “Dancing Queen” and Madonna’s “Like A Prayer” to end the set. Green Eggs locked into their groove early, and didn’t let up for the duration of the set.

Green Eggs’ nightcap set launched with Queen’s “Fat Bottomed Girls,” before jumping to current pop-rock with Kevin Rudolf’s “Let It Rock.” The group again mixed it up with tunes from Joan Jett, Jimmy Eat World, Dexy’s Midnight Runners, The Romantics’ “What I Like About You” into the Foundations’ late ‘60s chestnut “Build Me Up Buttercup. Green Eggs kept up the feverish pitch with songs from Van Morrison, Neil Diamond, Green Day, Metro Station, the Jackson 5, House Of Pain, Journey, Beastie Boys, Vanilla Ice, REO Speedwagon, Metallica, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi. They again smoothly gearshifted between genres while keeping the energy level high. At one point, Jake stepped from behind the drum kit, and came out to front the group on House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” while Matt went behind the drum kit.

There were a couple of humorous moments during the nightcap set as well…Brad started out in the wrong key on the Beastie Boys’ “Girls” and laughed as he realized the blunder and corrected it. And later in the set, Brian started his digital intro to Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer,” before quickly cutting off the song since there were kids and families in the audience.

Aside from those two playful gaffes, this was a tightly-wound, exciting Green Eggs performance, as the band rode at a steady and feverish high from start to end. Their varied setlist provided something for everybody; it would be difficult for any band to deliver a more complete and comprehensive rock and pop music party than what Green Eggs did this night. Needless to say, this performance convincingly slammed the lid on the 2010 WingOffs, and likely won Green Eggs a multitude of new fans who will likely be back next year if this group gets invited back to the WingOffs.

Matt Day of Green Eggs.

Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Green Eggs, slamming the lid on the 2010 WingOffs.

Again, Brian Nicarry.

Green Eggs’ WingOff party continues.

Drummer Jake steps forward to front Green Eggs.

Green Eggs with a huge crowd of WingOff fans.

More of Green Eggs’ party.

Jake Gochenour of Green Eggs.

Some young fans watch Green Eggs in action.

Once again, Brian Nicarry.

More of Green Eggs.

Again, Jake Gochenour of Green Eggs.

Again, Matt Day.

Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Once again, Jake Gochenour.

Matt Day behind the drum kit.

Again, Brian Nicarry.

One more time, Green Eggs.

RANDY JACKSON JAZZ BAND @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 8/27/10

One night after the final Lakemont Park WingOff, the final installment of this year’s Summer Sounds Of Jazz concert series was taking place at downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza, featuring the band that kicked off the series in June, the Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet.

The line-up was slightly different from the one that played that June concert. Lee Appleman was back behind the drum kit, replacing Randy Servello from the first concert. Namesake Randy “Jackson” Rutherford again played guitar and bass, plus sang some lead vocals. Bob Scholl played saxophone, while Dave Villani again played keys and sang.

While the line-up was slightly different, the jazz variety wasn’t. This group displayed stellar musicianship as they played a wide variety of contemporary and classic jazz and jazz-geared sounds. The group was performing the Duke Ellington popularized “Take the ‘A’ Train” as I first arrived and set up shop next to the sound tent. After Dave sang lead on a number I didn’t recognize, the quartet went to town on the Average White Band’s “Pick Up the Pieces,” before closing their first set with David Sanborn’s “Chicago Song.”

A good-sized crowd was in attendance for this last jazz concert of the season. Many were mingling around the bar tables and around the beer and food concessions; and many also set up folding chairs in the open area in front of the stage.

Soon the jazz resumed, as the group opened with Grover Washington Jr.’s “Soulful Strut.” The musicians did a Herbie Hancock number, a ‘30s era blues/jazz number and another David Sanborn number before heading to their second intermission.

The performances were sharp, as the Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet combined their collective talents, but also showcased individually during the course of each piece.

The final set of the performance kicked off with Weather Report’s “Birdland,” and continued with Chuck Mangione’s “Feels So Good.” Bob picked up the bass as Randy played guitar on Santana’s “Europa,” and Randy sang lead on the ensuing rendition of Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On.” The group touched on Ray Charles territory with a version of “You Don’t Know Me,” and performed “There’ll Never Be Another You,” before closing with one more number.

Again, the musicianship here was top notch, as these four skilled players gave a tight and smooth-sounding performance; and closed out this year’s Summer Sounds Of Jazz concert series on a high note.

The Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Dave Villani of The Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Lee Appleman of The Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Bob Scholl of The Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Randy “Jackson” Rutherford.

Again, the Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Again, Dave Villani.

Again, Randy Jackson.

As the sun sets, the Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Again, Bob Scholl.

Once again, Randy Jackson.

Lee Appleman and Bob Scholl of the Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Folks dance to the Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

More fun with the Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Men, women, boys, girls and even praying mantises showed up to see the Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

Once again, Lee Appleman.

One more time, the Randy Jackson Jazz Band.

GHOSTOWN REVELRY @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 8/27/10

After the jazz concert finished, I logged a few hours at the broadcast employer, before closing out the night by discovering a new band I hadn’t seen before, making their Altoona debut at 30 Something.

That group was Ebensburg’s Ghostown Revelry. Formed last November, Ghostown Revelry features guitarist Adam Gerycz, drummer Pat Bowman, keyboardist Kevin McKenrick, bassist Allen Hostetler and rhythm guitarist Craig Pablic; all five share lead singing duties.

As I arrived during the group’s second intermission, a good-sized crowd was in the house, most of which was a busload of fans that rode in to support the group in their maiden Altoona voyage.

Ghostown Revelry soon started into their final set of the night, starting off with the Grateful Dead’s “Truckin.’” The group continued to perform classic rock of the ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s; including a number of songs not commonly covered by other groups. With each member taking a turn singing lead, Ghostown Revelry continued with Tom Petty’s “You Don’t Know How It Feels,” Three Dog Night’s “Shambala” and Sublime’s “Santeria.” Adam then fronted the group as they dug into the ‘60s catalog for the Rascals’ “Good Lovin,” followed by Kevin singing lead on Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone.” They returned to the ‘70s for the Doobie Brothers’ “China Grove,” and continued with David Bowie’s “Rebel Rebel,” the Beatles’ “Get Back,” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Crosstown Traffic,” before closing the set with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps.” When the crowd demanded an encore, Ghostown Revelry responded with one more Grateful Dead number, “Touch of Grey.”

These guys displayed sharp vocal arrangements and harmonies from start to end; each member could sing, and they presented their song material with enthusiasm. Instrumentally they were solid, with the balanced mixture of guitars and keys giving their overall sound fullness and variety.

I was impressed by my first experience with Ghostown Revelry, and I look forward to encountering this group on area stages in the future.

Craig Pablic and Adam Gerycz of Ghostown Revelry.

Kevin McKenrick of Ghostown Revelry.

Making their Altoona and 30 Something debut, Ghostown Revelry.

Again, Ghostown Revelry.

Pat Bowman of Ghostown Revelry.

Again, Kevin McKenrick of Ghostown Revelry.

Yours truly, caught in the line of photo duty.

NO BACK ROAD @ WILLIAMSBURG FARM SHOW, WILLIAMSBURG 8/28/10

Unlike previous weekends, I didn’t have anything set in stone as far as events – either outdoor or indoor – to go check out. As Saturday evening approached, I pieced together a game plan for a live music tripleheader and short road trip, which would take me to live music happenings in Williamsburg and Alexandria, before finishing back home in the ‘Toona.

The Williamsburg option was the annual Williamsburg Farm Show, happening this weekend. I noted in an Altoona Mirror newspaper article about the event earlier in the week that No Back Road was slated to perform on Saturday evening. I didn’t know if this was a band or other live music entity, so I decided to do my music journalistic duties and investigate.

I arrived at the Farm Show, and browsed the grounds while enjoying some food vendor cuisine. I soon found the stage area and noted that some instruments were set up, including a guitar, banjo and bass. So I figured this would be possibly a folk, bluegrass or gospel group performing.

Once the performance began, it turned out to be a mix of all three, with an emphasis on the latter. With members from Blair and Bedford Counties, No Back Road primarily did gospel sounds, mixed with touches of old-timey folk and bluegrass. The group – singer Becky Hardy, husband Dennis Hardy on guitar and banjo, Jim Hodge on bass and Ben Rapp on mandolin and fiddle – opened with a number called “Happy Day,” and proceeded to mix music, message and a touch of humor during the course of their two sets. Some of their song selection included the Josh Turner numbers “Long Black Train” and “Me and God,” Woody Guthrie’s “This Train Is Bound for Glory,” Hank Williams’ “I Saw the Light,” also gospel numbers such as “Let’s All Go Down to the River,” “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” “The Old Rugged Cross,” “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” the patriotic “This Land Is Your Land” (dedicated to the veterans in the audience) and more.

No Back Road was good at what they did. Their vocals were smooth, and Dennis showed some sharp picking skills on the banjo. Ben also displayed good skill on both mandolin and fiddle, and Jim was sturdy both on bass and on his occasional lead singing duties.

So my Saturday evening of live music started with a dose of religion.

No Back Road.

Dennis Hardy of No Back Road.

Dennis Hardy on banjo.

Again, No Back Road.

RHYNE McCORMICK @ MAIN STREET CAFÉ, ALEXANDRIA 8/28/10

From Williamsburg, I drove 20 minutes eastward on Route 22 toward Alexandria, where I would set foot inside the Main Street Café for the first time. The source of the music at this venue I was more familiar with, Rhyne McCormick.

We haven’t seen Rhyne over in this neighborhood much lately, as he relocated to the Harrisburg vicinity a couple of years ago. But he does make visits to the Main Street Café from time to time.

The Main Street was pretty crowded as I first arrived, shortly into Rhyne’s first of two sets. I found a vacant seat in the rear of the dining room at the bar, took up position and decided to try out the Main Street’s wings, which I had heard good things about.

Meanwhile, Rhyne performed his reliable blend of rock’n’roll favorites, peppered with his own original compositions. His variety was wide, as he did numbers like Van Morrison’s “Wild Night,” Dwight Yoakam’s “Fast As You,” Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” Oasis’ “Wonderwall,” Bruce Springsteen’s “Fire,” Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill,” Rod Stewart’s “Maggie May,” Neil Young’s “Cinnamon Girl” and “Rocking in the Free World,” and much more. He did several of his own tunes, too; this night including “Rockaway,” the title to his most recent full-length CD, Soul Dust, “Save Yourself” and more.

Rhyne did each song in his own trademark style and voice, making each number his own. He kept the mood friendly, cordial and unimposing, so the audience – mostly diners – could enjoy meals and conversation, yet pay some attention to him and applaud when they heard tunes they especially liked.

The dinner crowd mostly had filtered out of the Main Street Café by the end of Rhyne’s second set, leaving just a few music fans and staff as Rhyne closed out the show with The Who’s “Squeeze Box.” I chatted with Rhyne briefly after the show, and got caught up on his latest happenings. Rhyne is still very much the road animal, playing solo gigs frequently, plus the occasional full band gig with Shots McGee.

Rhyne McCormick.

THE K-BAND @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 8/28/10

From the Main Street Café, I did the 30-minute roadtrip back home to Altoona and 30 Something, to catch my first look at a new phenomenon called The kBand.

The ‘k’ in kBand stands for karaoke, which they incorporate into their show. The kBand is an interactive group that allows audience members to step onstage and sing their favorite songs with a live band backing them up. Guitarists Bruce Foor and Jason Kauffman, bassist Brett Fanelli and drummer Tim Wilkins distribute lists of songs, much like a conventional karaoke show. Audience members sign up, and are then called up to perform their songs, reading the lyrics from a music-triggered prompter.

As with most karaoke, the various singers this night were hit or miss. There were a few diamonds in the rough, but there were more attempted singer wannabees who were just “rough.” The song selection that was performed and/or massacred this night included numbers by Sublime, Jim Croce, Billy Currington, Jethro Tull, Bonnie Tyler, B52s, 4 Non Blondes, Rolling Stones, Puddle Of Mudd, Ramones, Heart, AC/DC and more.

For the band members, this performance situation provides an interesting challenge, as they have to know a large arsenal of song material, plus be able to improvise on the fly whenever singers stumble or deviate from the melody. Several times, kBand had to back up or change keys to accommodate somebody who veered off the song’s beaten path.

The response this night was good, and a large contingent of folks came out to partake and/or observe. From a live music fan standpoint, I respect the members of kBand for giving this experiment a try, and I see good points and bad points to this project. On the good side, it does find a way to merge karaoke with live music, and potentially kBand can introduce and encourage some karaoke fans to support live bands beyond this one; given live music’s current struggles to draw audiences locally, perhaps a good thing. And if more promising karaoke practitioners feel comfortable doing their thing in this situation, it could develop confidence and lead to such folks emerging into viable future band frontmen and frontwomen. On the bad side, I could envision some of the lesser-talented goobers getting the idea that since kBand left them sing along with them, that other bands should do the same.

And at the end of the day, this is still karaoke; and if you can’t stand to hear drunken idiots butcher your favorite song in an ordinary karaoke setting, you likely won’t enjoy it in the kBand setting, either.

kBand with two karaoke participants.

Bruce Foor of kBand.

ROY HANDY & THE MOONSHOT @ ST. BARBARA’S POLISH FESTIVAL, HOUTZDALE 8/29/10

Kid rock was coming to Houtzdale this day.

No, I don’t mean the architect of the hits “Bawitdaba,” “Cowboy” or “All Summer Long” – instead, I’m referring to the rock for kids generated by Roy Handy & The Moonshot – the brainchild of singer, guitarist and dad Gerry Stanek – who appeared at the late August Polish Picnic at St. Barbara’s Church in Houtzdale.

Roy Handy & The Moonshot were just under way when I first arrived, and were rocking an audience of youngsters and kids at heart with garage rock-flavored tunes from their CD (I’m Gonna Be) Your Best Friend. Flanked by Bill Fine on bass and Ken Deater on drums, Gerry (“Roy”) finished up the song “That’s a Great Idea,” before continuing with “Moonshot,” a new bluesy-flavored number called “Magic Dog,” “Space Kitty,” “Blanket,” “Hotdog,” “Pancakes,” another new song called “Vampire,” “Playground,” and “Crayon Man.” At this point, an additional and unexpected highlight was the church’s Father Scott Lill showing up in front of the stage decked in a pierogi outfit as “Pastor Pierogi”…He soon stepped up on the stage and jammed guitar with the group during the song “Shopping List” while Gerry stepped off the stage to hand candy out to youngsters. Gerry remarked afterward, “I’ve been playing gigs all my life, and I’ve never played on stage with a priest or a pierogi until today!” The group then honored an audience request for “Wipeout,” before finishing their performance with their rocking rendition of “Itsy Bitsy Spider.”

Roy Handy & the Moonshot sounded good. Their delivery was punchy and tight, and they played their tunes with enthusiasm and a smile, which won over kids and kids at heart alike.

Roy Handy & the Moonshot.

Gerry Stanek of Roy Handy & the Moonshot.

Bill Fine of Roy Handy & the Moonshot.

Again, Roy Handy & the Moonshot.

Father Scott Lill as “Pastor Pierogi” steps up to the stage to groove to Roy Handy & the Moonshot.

Pastor Pierogi gets down!

Pastor Pierogi hands out balloons to the youngsters.

Again, Gerry Stanek.

Again, Bill Fine.

Pastor Pierogi steps onstage with Roy Handy & the Moonshot.

Pastor Pierogi picks up the guitar.

More of Pastor Pierogi on guitar.

With a pierogi playing his guitar, Gerry Stanek hands out candy to the kids.

Pastor Pierogi jams!

Gerry Stanek, making the youngsters happy.

Ken Deater of Roy Handy & the Moonshot.

I stuck around after the performance for – what else? – the Polish food! After enjoying the Polish platter, I went inside the church hall to catch a little polka music courtesy of Dubois-based polka group The Classics. I caught their rendition of “In Heaven There Is No Beer” and a few other polka numbers, plus versions of Elvis Presley’s “Love Me Tender” and Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock & Roll.”

Polka with The Classics.

Chuck Navasky’s One Less Tear was scheduled to perform later in the afternoon, but with “Homegrown Rocker” duties that night, I had to retreat back down the hill to the ‘Toona to prepare. But St. Barbara’s Polish Picnic was a good time; I’ll have to watch out the this event again next summer!

This display explained the history of Polish picnics.

TEN TIL [DESTINY] @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/29/10

A new band was gracing Pellegrine’s stage this night, Ten Till [Destiny]…and I was there to investigate.

Ten Till [Destiny] was a new name at Pellegrine’s this night, but the band themselves are not new. Based around the general Punxsutawney/Brookville/Brockway vicinity, Ten Till [Destiny] first formed and performed on the state’s stages in the ‘80s, before going their separate ways in 1989. The group reconvened last November, and introduced an audiovisual show to Pellegrine’s stage this night.

Singer Gary Bickerstaff, guitarist C. Scott Gilbert, keyboardist/guitarist Bill Hubauer and drummer David McKee played amid a sea of various video screens, showing digital and projected video footage synchronized with the music. It was refreshing to see a band pay some attention to the visual aspect of a performance and generate a show like this!

And it didn’t come at the expense of the music. Ten Till [Destiny] were skilled on their instruments and voices, as they mixed edgy, melody-geared modern rock-flavored originals with select cover material. Their song selection over the latter two sets included U2’s “Mysterious Ways,” Lifehouse’s “Halfway Gone,” Kings Of Leon’s “Use Somebody,” a Beatles medley including “Got to Get You Into My Life,” “Eleanor Rigby,” “Norwegian Wood” and “Paperback Writer,” Boz Scaggs’ “Lido Shuffle,” Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer,” Peter Gabriel’s “Big Time” and more.

Ten Till [Destiny] were tight and concise, and Gary’s singing voice was clear and powerful. This group was almost perfectly synchronized with their video presentation, which made for quite an impressive show.

Unfortunately, given a new band on a Sunday night, crowd turnout was nearly nil. Hopefully this band gets another shot here; Ten Till [Destiny] has a show well worth seeing!

Ten Till [Destiny].

Again, Ten Till [Destiny].

With accompanying video imagery, Ten Till [Destiny].

More of Ten Till [Destiny].

Gary Bickerstaff of Ten Till [Destiny].

One more time, Ten Till [Destiny].

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: