· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/20/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Dec 07, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/20/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/13/10

With NFL Monday night football again starting up, That’s What She Said started later this week following the game, getting under way at midnight. Adam D and Jess P again swapped singing duties back and forth through the remainder of the night as they performed their usual repertoires of song favorites. A few times the pair joined forces and dueted, on Rod Stewart’s “The First Cut Is the Deepest,” REO Speedwagon’s “Take It On the Run” and a few more.

There was no Gamber Gone Wild in the house this night, but there was frisky and curmudgeonly elderly patron Kirk, who got loose as the night progressed and kept stepping up to the stage to flirt with Jess, even petting her on the head not unlike the way Benny Hill used to headslap that old dude on the noggin on the TV show! This activity caused the comedy level of the night to escalate, and one of Kirk’s comments even prompted a classic response from observer and musician Eric Wertz: “Kirk, you just issued a conundrum that’s real f**ked up!”

So while the live entertainment was abbreviated this night, it provided some thrills, chills and laughs…and ultimately a good time.

That’s What She Said.

Kirk pays Jess P the first of several visits.

Kirk and Jess.

Kirk must have said something funny or dirty...

Kirk, practicing heavy petting with Jess.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/15/10

Another new face was in the house and on the stage for this week’s installment of Pellegrine’s weekly Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night.

Andy Rhody was performing as I first arrived. Armed with acoustic guitar, Andy sang versions of Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold,” Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance,” “American Girl” and “Here Comes My Girl,” the Beatles’ “Don’t Let Me Down” and Bob Dylan’s “Like A Rolling Stone” for the remainder of his set.

Making his Pellegrine’s Jam Night debut, Andy Rhody.

Shark Bite then did a short set, with Adam D and Big Jim doing songs from Jethro Tull, Radiohead and Glenn Frey, before Priscilla the Tambourine Lady and Jamie Shumac joined them for the Allman Brothers’ “Midnight Rider” and the Beatles’ “A Day in the Life.”

Rich Edmundson and Alex Russo then did a short set, performing some original songs and freestyles, along with a spin on “Wild Thing” and Rich’s “Percussive Guitar.”

Alex Russo and Rich Edmundson.

Again, Alex and Rich.

Harmonica Dave then played some original solo harmonica pieces, before some jam session collaborations took the stage. Jeff Renner and Don Osborn on guitars and vocals and Jamie on drums did versions of the Eagles’ “Take It Easy” and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Crossfire,” before Andy joined in on AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap,” Bob Seger’s “Rock and Roll Never Forgets,” Ted Nugent’s “Cat Scratch Fever,” Eric Clapton’s “Tears in Heaven” and Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It.”

Rich Dasch then took the lead mic to front the jam session on songs from Joe Cocker, the Beatles, Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Bob Seger and more. Along the way, JP the bongo man, Rich Piccerillo, John Buterbaugh and even Tony the Pelly’s Sunday doorman participated in the jam sessions. It was fun jams, with the peak being a scorcher rendition of Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love,” which achieved full intensity!

It was a lively jam session which gained momentum as the night progressed, and turned into an absolutely fun night for all involved.

Kicking out the jams; Jeff Renner, Jamie Shumac and Don Osborn.

John Buterbaugh, Rich Dasch and Don Osborn.

Kicking out some guitar jams; Rich Piccerillo and John Buterbaugh.

Two Rich’s, Piccerillo and Edmundson.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/16/10

After completing some radio station workplace duties this night, I headed to Pellegrine’s to check in with the Thursday night incarnation of Felix & the Hurricanes, with Dave Villani on keys.

The Hurricanes were fired up and sounding good this night. Jeff Clapper was putting a new amplifier to the test, and his bass throb was standing out loud and proud this night!

The group did selections from the Allman Brothers, Dire Straits, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Blackfoot, original songs and more. Several highlights along the way included Dave’s southern-styled church organ tones on Elmore James’ “Done Somebody Wrong,” the pure religion generated on the Hurricanes’ fusion of “Amazing Grace” and “The Saints Go Marching In,” Dave’s spirited vocals on Stephen Stills’ “Love the One You’re With” and the Doors’ “Light My Fire,” and the instrumental trade-off conversations between Felix’s guitar and Dave’s keys on Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Tightrope.”

It all sounded good, with the musicianship and enthusiasm both riding at a high that didn’t diminish for the duration. The fans in the house appreciated it; again a Hurricanes show delivered the goods!

KIX/BACK IN BLACK/LEADFOOT @ RADISSON PENN HARRIS HOTEL & CONVENTION CENTER, CAMP HILL 9/17/10

A roadtrip was in the cards for me this Friday night, as I journeyed eastward to see Kix at the Radisson Penn Harris Convention Center in Camp Hill. I met up with my boss, Pennsylvania Musician editor Robin Noll, at the magazine’s “Bed and Breakfast,” and she then provided our transportation to the concert.

It was a jam-packed parking lot when we arrived, and not surprisingly, a packed house inside the Radisson, as fans from far and wide were in attendance for a night of hard-hitting rock! The Radisson apparently underestimated the attendance or need for beer this night, as the three beer and drink stations experienced long lines and much gridlock during the course of the night…the only downer of the whole show!

Celebrating Harrisburg rock station WTPA’s 30th year on air, the show started with Leadfoot, who was on stage as we first arrived. Now fronted by former Juiced/Rhymes With Orange singer Russ Weikel, Leadfoot set the tone with strong renditions of ‘80s hard-rocking classics from Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Accept and more. Russ appeared to be a good fit in Leadfoot’s line-up, and was confident and poised in front of the massive crowd. Leadfoot’s powerful sounds set the table for the night, and heated the crowd up for the hard-hitting rock to follow.

Shane Burger of Leadfoot.

Tony of Leadfoot.

Again, Shane of Leadfoot.

Leadfoot, kicking off the night in high gear.

Once again, Shane of Leadfoot.

New singer Russ Weikel of Leadfoot.

One more time, Leadfoot.

It was difficult to maneuver through the packed house crowd to get up front, but I eventually did so during the intermission, and was in place by the time the next band was set to start.

With the tolling of the bell, Massachusetts-based AC/DC tribute juggernaut Back In Black launched their performance with “Hells Bells.” Singer Tony, lead ‘Angus’ Spencer, rhythm guitarist Bobby, bassist Mic and drummer Jeff further fired up the house (and by his own admission later on, Kix frontman Steve Whiteman) with ample “thunder from Down Under,” doing classics from throughout the AC/DC catalog. The group mixed Bon Scott- and Brian Johnson-era material; doing “Shoot to Thrill,” “Dirty Deeds,” “Thunderstruck,” “Ballbreaker,” “Girls Got Rhythm,” the Bobby-fronted “Highway to Hell,” “You Shook Me All Night Long,” “What Do You Do For Money Honey,” “Whole Lotta Rosie” and their title “Back In Black.” Tony’s voice showed a little bit of strain as the set progressed, but he kept the energy level high and continued to rally the packed house nonetheless. Spencer did his best Angus duckwalks and cavorting back and forth across the stage, while providing stinging guitar solo after solo. When the capacity crowd called for an encore, guest bagpiper Kerry stepped onstage and started piping a solo, which led into “It’s A Long Way to the Top (If You Want to Rock’n’Roll).” Tony then dedicated “For Those About to Rock We Salute You” to American soldiers serving overseas.

Back In Black and the Radisson audience.

Mic of Back In Black.

Bobby of Back In Black.

Tony of Back In Black.

Again, Tony of Back In Black and the crowd.

Back In Black and the crowd.

Tony and Bobby of Back In Black.

Tony solicits some crowd participation.

Spencer and Tony of Back In Black.

Spencer of Back In Black.

Once again, Tony of Back In Black.

Again, Bobby of Back In Black.

Tony gives Spencer a ride around the hall.

Yet again, Tony of Back In Black.

Bagpiper Kerry arrives onstage.

Again, Kerry on bagpipes.

Jeff of Back In Black.

One more time, Spencer of Back In Black.

Headliners Kix soon arrived and provided their hard-rocking party before an ecstatic house. Kicking off with “Ring Around Rosie,” Kix lit up the crowd with a fun and enthusiastic performance loaded with highlights. Flanked by guitarists Ronnie Younkins and Brian Forsythe, drummer Jimmy Chalfant and bassist Mark Schenker; singer Steve Whiteman displayed his trademark high-flying voice and abundant stage energy. Steve worked all corners of the stage and incorporated various costuming and props along the way, from his dollar-sign shades during “Girl Money” to a shower cap and umbrella on “Cold Shower.” Kix did favorites such as “Sex,” “The Itch,” “Live Wire,” “Cold Blood,” “Blow My Fuse” and more; along with deeper cuts such as “Fireballs” off the Show Business CD, “Same Jane” and “Lie Like a Rug.” Where I was standing, a catfight broke out during the ballad “Don’t Close Your Eyes,” with the dense crowd getting in between the two combatants and forcing the instigator away from the stage; good job, crowd! When the crowd demanded an encore, Kix responded with “She Dropped Me the Bomb,” “Midnite Dynamite,” and by audience demand, “Yeah, Yeah, Yeah” – this song seems to keep growing every time Kix does it, and Steve’s mid-song story rant becomes wilder, funnier and more lurid with each re-telling! Puke, urine, excrement…it’s all there!

Bottom line…Kix hasn’t lost a step in 30 years, and still lit it up with a helluva party! Excellent performance!

Steve Whiteman of Kix.

Steve Whiteman with his dollar sign shades.

Jimmy Chalfant of Kix.

Again, Steve Whiteman of Kix.

Again, Jimmy Chalfant of Kix.

Ronnie Younkins of Kix.

Kix, rocking the Radisson.

Again, Ronnie Younkins of Kix.

Again, Steve Whiteman.

More of Steve Whiteman.

Again, Kix.

Yet more of Steve Whiteman of Kix.

Again, Steve Whiteman.

Steve, having fun with the crowd.

Some audience participation.

Steve and Mark Schenker stand under the umbrella for “Cold Shower.”

Mark, Steve and Brian Forsythe under the umbrella.

Steve dons a shower cap.

Brian Forsythe of Kix.

Ronnie Younkins and Mark Schenker of Kix.

Once again, Ronnie Younkins.

Yet again, Ronnie Younkins.

Toward show’s end, large bloodsucking balloons are unleashed upon the audience.

The audience fights off the balloon attack.

The battle with the balloons continues.

Again, Steve Whiteman and the crowd.

Kix gives their curtain call.

One more time, Kix.

FADED DAZE @ McCLURE BEAN SOUP FESTIVAL, McCLURE 9/18/10

Before reporting on my live music destination this day, a little word about my overnight stay and an enjoyable Saturday morning…

For those not yet aware, I purchased a ukulele earlier this summer; a Flying V uke from Bedford Banjo Shop. I purchased a Mel Bay music book and a chord chart, and taught myself some basic uke-playing skills during the summer months. When I learned I would be staying over at the Pennsylvania Musician “Bed & Breakfast” following the Kix concert, I planned a little surprise. Pennsylvania Musician founder Whitey Noll is a ukulele player, and the uke is his instrument of choice these days. My surprise would be to sneak the ukulele into the house when I brought my clothes bag in, and in the morning, break out the uke and play it when I came down the stairs for breakfast. I did it, pleasantly surprising Whitey with a simple rendition of “Amazing Grace.” Then, over breakfast and afterward, Whitey gave me my first lesson on uke, and we sat and jammed at the breakfast table for over 2 hours!

I stayed until early afternoon. RachelRocks had dropped off her boys at the “Bed & Breakfast,” and they ended up helping me pick black walnuts in the backyard, and English walnuts across the road. I ended up taking two bags of the former and one bag of the latter back home to the ‘Toona…Thanks Robin and the little guys!

My game plan after leaving the “Bed & Breakfast” was to head north on Routes 11 and 15 to Selinsgrove, and hop on Route 522 westward to attend a festival I had never gone to before, the McClure Bean Soup Festival. I noted that Mifflin County rockers Faded Daze were scheduled to perform there in the evening.

The 119th annual McClure Bean Soup Festival was fun. This was a bigger event than I expected, with carnival rides, multiple food vendors and a lot of people in attendance. I finally found the bean soup pavilion and did a bowl of it, so I can now say I did the bean soup at McClure Bean Soup Fest!

To the band, who started performing their first of two one-hour sets as evening began to arrive. Drummer Tommy Gunn, guitarists Zane Sheaffer and Earl Musser all sing; Nic Ciccolini plays bass. Faded Daze opened their first set with Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild,” and entertained festival-goers with strong-sounding, classic-rocking favorites. Faded Daze consistently displayed good voices and harmonies; plus tight, hard-driving execution as they did Brownsville Station’s “Smokin’ In The Boys’ Room,” Greg Kihn Band’s “Break-Up Song,” Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself,” Free’s “All Right Now,” Tom Petty’s “Cabin Down Below,” The Sweet’s “Little Willy” and more. They got the crowd going with a sturdy edition of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird” to close the first set.

During their intermission, I spoke with Zane, who told me that Faded Daze prides themselves on playing songs that everybody in the audience knows and can sing along with, and their purpose is to get people up dancing and having a good time. They were succeeding with that intent this night.

Since the break between their scheduled performances was an hour, I decided to get on the road back to Altoona before Faded Daze’s second set. But my first experiences with both Faded Daze and the McClure Bean Soup Festival were favorable ones, and I hope to enjoy both again in the future.

Faded Daze rocks the McClure Bean Soup Festival.

Zane Sheaffer of Faded Daze.

Nic Ciccolini of Faded Daze.

Earl Musser of Faded Daze.

Again, Faded Daze.

Again, Earl Musser.

Tommy Gunn of Faded Daze.

Again, Zane Sheaffer.

Once again, Earl Musser.

Again, Nic Ciccolini.

A seated audience enjoys Faded Daze at the McClure Bean Soup Festival.

Earl Musser brings the fun out to the audience.

The carnival rides are lit up in the arriving nighttime sky at the McClure Bean Soup Festival.

HAIR FORCE ONE @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 9/18/10

Shortly after returning to Altoona, I headed to 30 Something to check in with the One Force that is Hair, and see what ‘80s-geared musical shenanigans were happening in the “Decade of Decadence.”

There had been rumors floating around that this might be the final gig of Hair Force One’s endless tour. But singer Victor Synn authoritatively quashed those rumors this night, announcing that the group’s party wasn’t winding down any time soon.

He and his bandmates – new guitarist Dick Feltersnatch, lead guitarist Jimi Hatt, bassist Iva Biggin and drummer G – drove home that point with their powerful celebration of ‘80s hair band rock. Hair Force One were just into their second set as I arrived, and firing up a turbulent dance floor crowd with Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It.” The group proceeded with hair-rocking classics from Quiet Riot, Cinderella, Motley Crue, Poison, Guns N’Roses, Skid Row, Ugly Kid Joe and Def Leppard’s “Rock of Ages” to close the set.

Hair Force One sounded in good form thus far. New man Dick was fitting in well with the group, playing mostly rhythm guitar while the kilted Jimi cranked out lead. Victor maneuvered the stage and rallied the crowd, and the rhythm battery of Iva and G kept it all pounding and thundering.

The final set of the night ratcheted up the excitement another notch, as dancers (mostly female) soon matriculated their way onto the stage and around the band members. Hair Force One gave them plenty of reason to dance and cavort, kicking off the set with AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long,” and continuing with Poison’s “Ride The Wind,” “Talk Dirty to Me” and “I Want Action,” Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name,” Skid Row’s “18 & Life,” Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine,” Kix’s “Cold Blood” and Bon Jovi’s “Raise Your Hands” to end the set. The crowd was in no mood to end the party yet and quickly demanded more; Hair Force One responded with Accept’s “Balls to the Wall” for the first encore, and a Guns N’Roses number for the final encore.

The party didn’t want to end this night, and Hair Force One assured everyone that their party on area stages wasn’t going to end any time soon, either. And based on the good times had this night, this is a good thing.

New guitarist Dick Feltersnatch and Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Still partying like it’s 1989, Hair Force One.

Again, Victor Synn.

Again, Iva Biggin.

Again, Dick Feltersnatch of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One and a rowdy, rocking crowd.

More of Hair Force One.

The kilted one, Jimi Hatt of Hair Force One.

Again, Hair Force One.

G of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One’s ‘80s party continues.

Again, G of Hair Force One.

Again, Jimi Hatt.

Once again, Hair Force One.

More of Hair Force One’s Jimi Hatt, plus a well-endowed mic stand adornment.

Hair Force One’s guitar section, Dick Feltersnatch and Jimi Hatt.

Ladies start populating the stage as the party reaches its zenith.

More Hair Force One and dancing dames.

One more look at the Hair Force One onstage dance party.

ORO PURO @ ITALIAN FOOD FESTIVAL, DELGROSSO’S AMUSEMENT PARK, TIPTON 9/19/10

Another of the temporal milestones that marks my annual transition from summer into fall is the annual Italian Food Festival at Delgrosso’s Amusement Park. Usually I visit this event mainly for the food. But there is usually Italian-themed musical entertainment as well.

Performing as I first arrived and procured my obligatory Italian sampler platter from the Familia Delgrosso pavilion (a platter including a slab of lasagna, ziti, gnocci, meatballs, salad and rum cake) was accordionist and singer Guido Zambotti. Guido has been playing this event for years, doing accordion renditions of traditional Italian favorites. This year, Guido turned 90, and going by his performance, is still going strong!

This festival usually presents a marquee headlining act as well; usually a music group, dance troupe or combination of both. This year’s headliner was the return of Cleveland-based Italian show band Oro Puro (“Pure Gold”). Featuring lead singer/keyboardist Basilio Monastra, bassist/singer Francesco Stavole and a guest belly dancer, Oro Puro played a lively variety of Italian hits and pop standards. I didn’t catch song titles, which were all in Italian; although Francesco did some translations when he introduced them. Toward the end of the performance, Oro Puro dedicated one song in memory of the late Tom Riley, the well-known area radio personality who emceed this event every year until his passing a few years ago.

Accompanied by a guest belly dancer, Francesco Stavole of Oro Puro.

Francesco Stavole of Oro Puro. I dig that bass!

From Cleveland, Oro Puro.

Oro Puro’s belly dancer.

Some young ladies enjoy the sounds of Oro Puro.

Francesco Stavole of Oro Puro and some new young fans.

Again, Oro Puro.

Again, Francesco Stavole of Oro Puro.

Basilio Monastra of Oro Puro.

Once again, Francesco Stavole.

One more time, Oro Puro.

I don’t know if it may have been competition from the Steelers’ football game this afternoon, or the slow economy causing more people to save their money; but attendance for this event seemed to be down this year. Food lines were relatively short and short-lived, and by the end of Oro Puro’s performance, only a handful of people were seated in front of the stage to enjoy them. I certainly hope the low attendance is just an anomaly for this year, as I would hate to see this festival – one of only a few truly ethnic-geared cultural events that happens in Blair County during the year – fade away.

WHITE SHADOW @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/19/10

After putting in a late evening doing my “Homegrown Rocker” duties, I finished up the weekend at Pellegrine’s, with White Shadow providing the entertainment.

Per the recent norm for Sunday nights at Pelly’s, crowd was nearly non-existent. That didn’t stop the White Shadow roster of singer/drum man Jerry Carnicella, bassist/singer Bob Helbig, guest guitarist/singer Tim Homerski and keyboardist/singer Harry Young from doing what they do, performing a crisp-sounding selection of classic and vintage rock’n’roll favorites.

I only caught the last half of their last set, but it all sounded good. White Shadow did nice work on Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” and the Doobie Brothers’ “China Grove,” sandwiching between those two songs a Beatles mini-set including “8 Days a Week,” “Help,” “A Hard Day’s Night,” “I Feel Fine,” “You Can’t Do That” and “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

White Shadow’s vocals and harmonies were excellent, especially on the Beatles material. Instrumentally they were dead on, and Tim’s guitar work sounded sharp and clean. And despite the lack of any crowd save for me in the main band room, White Shadow still had fun and made it count, pleasing this audience member and drawing a few cheers from the main bar room area.

Closing out the weekend at Pellegrine’s, White Shadow.

Bob Helbig and Jerry Carnicella of White Shadow.

Sitting in on guitar this night, Tim Homerski.

Once again, White Shadow.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: