· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/25/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Feb 12, 2011 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/25/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/18/10

Once again, Pellegrine’s Monday wing night was graced by the sounds of Adam D and Jess P – That’s What She Said – and their regularly, and irregularly, scheduled cavalcade of guests.

With a contingent of ladies from the Altoona Hospital looking on, Adam and Jess again swapped singing duties as the night went along, singing their respective repertoires of favorites. Along the way, Pelly’s kitchen man Dan’s sister Tiffany helped sing on a rendition of Roberta Flack’s “Killing Me Softly with His Song” early on, and later appeared again to sing on Carrie Underwood’s “Before He Cheats.” And the regularly-scheduled Gamber Gone Wild sludge metal rendering of Looking Glass’ “Brandy” added thrills and chills to the evening.

Good wings, good night…

That’s What She Said with guests Tiffany and Eric.

Gamber Gone Wild again with Jess P and Adam D.

More Gamber Gone Wild silliness.

IBEJI DRUM ENSEMBLE @ DANCE 281 AFRICAN DRUM WORKSHOP, MISCIAGNA DANCE STUDIO, PENN STATE ALTOONA 10/19/10

This day, I didn’t have to drive up the hill to Saint Francis University in Loretto to partake in African drumming; it came to my workplace at Penn State Altoona.

The occasion was an interactive African drum workshop with Pittsburgh’s Ibeji Drum Ensemble, taking place at the Misciagna dance studio as part of the Dance 281 - Introduction to African Dance and Culture class taught by Tracie Yorke.

The class was open to Penn State Altoona students and faculty, and participants were welcome to bring along their own drums. I brought my own bongos, but also got to play the djun-djuns (African bass drums).

The Ibeji Drum Ensemble husband-and-wife contingent of Dr. Anthony and Beatrice Mitchell taught the drumming part of this session, showing participants the rhythms to the various West African dance/song selections from Guinea and Senegal. Tracie Yorke instructed the dance participants on the dance moves. The class lasted for an hour and 15 minutes, and we didn’t want to stop by the end of it! Noted local hand percussionist (and former Mysterytrain member) Erro showed up late in the class period, and engaged the Mitchells in some drum circle-like jams after the class ended.

I told Tracie Yorke how much I enjoyed this session, and she said there was a good possibility that more of these would be happening down the road, and that future sessions will likely be open to the public.

OPEN MIC/JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/20/10

Fired up by the aforementioned African drumming workshop earlier, I was ready to bang some bongos at Pellegrine’s during another weekly Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night! And judging by the turnout, a lot of other musicians were ready to make some music as well!

Shark Bite was on the stage when I first arrived. Big Jim on guitar and Adam D on keys; backed by John Buterbaugh on guitar and Jamie Shumac on the drum kit, broke out Glenn Frey’s “Partytown,” and followed with tunes by the Doors, ZZ Top, Alice In Chains and Steppenwolf. Rich Piccerillo and Rapid Fire’s Aaron Gindlesperger joined in for AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long” and Judas Priest’s “You’ve Got Another Thing Comin,’” before Lauren Johnson stepped up to the mic to sing lead on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man.” The musicians continued with Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love,” highlighted by a total guitar-dueling showdown between Rich and John!

These musicians then left the stage to catch their breath, and the duo of acoustic guitarist/singer Rich Dasch and Harmonica Dave took over. The pair did Joe Cocker’s “You Are So Beautiful” and Bob Dylan’s “It Ain’t Me Babe,” before Dave wailed out a solo display on his harp. The pair then continued with John Cafferty’s “On the Dark Side” into John Mellencamp’s “R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.,” followed by tunes from CCR, the Beatles and Neil Young.

Another duo stepped up to perform, Ray Springsteel and Lock Haven’s Fatman of Fatman Band fame, still in the area following the previous weekend’s Everybody Fest. These two did a number of Pink Floyd and Floyd-inspired numbers; including “Breathe,” “Time,” “Brain Damage,” “Fearless” and more. More musicians eventually joined back in as the pair did Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Ohio” and Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall.” Lauren returned to the microphone to flex her vocal cords on Journey’s “Lovin’ Touchin’ “Squeezin,’” before her sister Talia joined in to create some remarkable harmonies on another Journey hit, “Faithfully!” A mixture of musicians, including your friendly bongo-playing Professor, helped send the night home on jamming renditions of Green Day’s “She” and Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here.”

Again, this was a fun jam night, as the mixture of Wednesday regulars and new faces provided musical thrills a-plenty!

John Buterbaugh, Big Jim, Lauren Johnson, Jamie Shumac and Aaron Gindlesperger.

Ray Springsteel and Lock Haven’s Fatman.

More jams....

Yours truly banging the bongos alongside Ray Springsteel.

Roxanne gets her pic alongside the bongo-playing Professor...

The jams continue.

Talia and Lauren sing lead.

A birthday-celebrating contingent enjoys the jams.

DOVE OF WAR @ MAGOO’S, CRESSON 10/23/10

Harrisburg power trio Dove Of War was paying their first area visit to Magoo’s in Cresson this night. Curious after they were on the cover of September’s Pennsylvania Musician Magazine, I headed up the hill to see what this band was about.

I’m glad I did; Dove Of War delivered the goods! Singer/guitarist Colby Dove, bassist/singer Doug Kerr and drummer/singer Jim McNatt demonstrated sharpness on their instruments as they played hard-edged original songs, metal and rock favorites, plus rocking spins on other classics. They were into one of their original songs as I first arrived, and suddenly veered late ‘60s classic for Iron Butterfly’s “Innagaddadavida.” After another hard-edged original, they did a System Of A Down number, followed by Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs,” where all three musicians played off one another and let their respective virtuosity shine through. They closed out “War Pigs” in a power metal-styled fury, and carried directly into Slayer’s “Seasons in the Abyss,” with Jim barking out the lead vocal. Dove Of War continued the intensity with Metallica’s “Creeping Death,” and put further pedal to the metal with Iron Maiden’s “The Trooper.” Then a twist, as the group offered a hard, modern-rocking spin on the Doors’ “Break on Through,” before introducing another original song, “Bring Me Down.” Back to the metal with Pantera’s “Walk,” followed by two more original numbers, and a sharp read of Rush’s “Tom Sawyer.” Dove Of War then shifted into the Police’s “Message In a Bottle,” before entering their rocking homestretch run of Scorpions’ “The Zoo,” Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World,” ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man,” and – because in the Cresson sector of the world, people are still known to yell out the words “Free Bird” – their own metalized spin on the Skynyrd classic to send the set home. When audience members called out for more, Dove Of War responded with Danzig’s “Mother” to close the night.

Dove Of War made a believer out of me. These guys have chops! Each of these guys dazzled on his respective instrument, from Colby’s surgically precise guitar work to Doug’s and Jim’s busy rhythms. They frequently played off one another, and their instrumental interaction kept every song busy and interesting. Their original song arsenal showed a strong blend of crunch and precision; and I liked the unpredictability of their song list. Add to that the fact that this band didn’t take a break and played straight through for the duration of the time I was there, what was not to like?

Response to Dove Of War’s first area visit from the vocal portion of Magoo’s audience was positive; here’s hoping we see a return visit from this trio soon!

Dove Of War.

Again, Dove Of War.

Colby Dove (left) of Dove Of War takes his guitar behind the neck.

Jim McNatt of Dove Of War.

Colby Dove and Doug Kerr of Dove Of War.

Again, Colby and Doug.

Doug Kerr of Dove Of War.

Colby Dove of Dove Of War.

Once again, Dove Of War.

More of Dove Of War.

Again, Colby Dove.

Present and accounted for outside Magoo’s following the show, Julie.

”RENT” @ CRESSON LAKE PLAYHOUSE, CRESSON 10/24/10

I did some theater this day. Live music and theater joined forces when Cresson Lake Playhouse presented the rock musical Rent; I headed to catch the production’s Sunday matinee finale.

Set in New York City’s East Village, Rent is the story of several struggling artists and musicians as they battle to survive and create against poverty, personality conflicts and the specter of AIDS. Directed by Joshua Hoover, this was a busy production with constant scene and setting changes, shifts between characters and frequent song performances over Rent’s two acts. The music was nonstop, and singing duties constantly shifted between all eight primary cast members: Chris Cook as aspiring songwriter Roger Davis, Kevin Bean as videographer Mark Cohen, Tony Malvoisin as Tom Collins, Lauren Wahl as Joanne Jefferson, Cory Brubaker as Angel Dumott Schunard, Mallory Burns as Mimi Marquez, Gabbi Hertzog as Maureen Johnson, and James Parker as landlord Benjamin Coffin III.

The backing band of guitarist/music director John Charney, keyboardist Mary Villani, bassist Scott Jeffries and drummer Paul Turner stayed busy throughout; performing the various songs of the production as well as transitional and incidental music to help tie the production together. I was again dazzled by the various sounds John was able to conjure out of his guitar through the course of the show, to fit the mood of whatever was going on in the story.

The performances were inspired, and being it was the last performance of Rent’s run, I observed tears among some of the cast members as the show drew to a close; obviously this had become a close-knit group!

The combination of busy music and busy production held my attention throughout. Again, Cresson Lake Playhouse again provided an entertaining and memorable presentation.

TEN TIL DESTINY @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/24/10

After completing my weekly “Homegrown Rocker” duties, I headed to Pellegrine’s to catch the return visit of Ten Till [Destiny]. This band’s technical ecstasy musical spectacle impressed me the first time they came here earlier in the summer, and I wanted to witness it again and see what nuances I might have missed the first time around.

I was hoping that more people would show up this night, at least out of curiosity to see what this show was all about. But again I was disappointed to find these guys got skunked by low attendance again, with only a smattering of folks around the venue, mostly congregated around the bar. But I did discover at least a few folks that came out for the band, including Dave Buzard, making the trip all the way in from near Brookville to catch Ten Till [Destiny]’s audiovisual display.

Again, the seasoned corps of singer Gary Bickerstaff, guitarist/keyboardist Bill Hubauer, bassist C. Scott Gilbert and drummer David McKee did not disappoint, as they accompanied their musical presentation with various video and projection screens showing computer-generated images, effects and even band information; all precisely synchronized with the music. The group was into some original songs when I first arrived; I caught the title of the last of this series, “Separator.” Ten Till then launched into a crisp-sounding Beatles mini-set, doing “Got to Get You Into My Life,” “Eleanor Rigby,” “Norwegian Wood” and “Paperback Writer” to end the set.

The group’s nightcap set launched with Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer,” and proceeded with Peter Gabriel’s “Big Time,” where they synchronized pieces of Peter Gabriel’s original video with their own performance. Next was Boz Scaggs’ “Lido Shuffle,” before a slower original tune, Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4” and U2’s “New Year’s Day” to end the night.

Again, I was blown away by this group. Beyond their visual excitement, Ten Till’s musical performances themselves were tight and polished. Their music was nonstop, their instrumental and vocal execution was precise, and their production mix was remarkably clean, balanced and full-sounding – you could close your eyes and almost think you were listening to a studio recording! The group didn’t merely cover the songs they did this night, but brought them to life in their own voice and style. Their vocal harmonies were crisp and full, and it was clear that this band knew exactly what they were doing on the stage.

Too bad not more people were on hand to witness Ten Till [Destiny] this night and discover this amazing group for themselves. But the folks who did take a chance this night came away rewarded, and were singing the group’s praises as they exited the building. Hopefully we’ll see more of Ten Till’s unique live music experience again in the months ahead.

Gary Bickerstaff of Ten Till [Destiny].

C. Scott Gilbert and Gary Bickerstaff of Ten Till [Destiny].

Again, Gary Bickerstaff of Ten Till [Destiny].

Bill Hubauer of Ten Till [Destiny], as the group’s video screen touts their “clown-free” show.

Ten Till [Destiny].

Again, Ten Till [Destiny].

More of Ten Till [Destiny].

David McKee of Ten Till [Destiny].

Once again, Ten Till [Destiny].

C. Scott Gilbert of Ten Till [Destiny].

Again, Gary Bickerstaff.

Gary and David of Ten Till [Destiny].

Playing keys, Bill Hubauer of Ten Till [Destiny].

More of Ten Till [Destiny].

Yet more Ten Till [Destiny].

Once again, David McKee.

Once again, Bill Hubauer.

Once again, C. Scott Gilbert.

In the audience this night, Dave Buzard and Rockin' Rod Kuntz, making the roadtrip in from north of I-80.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: