· The Final Cut
HALLOWEEN WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 11/1/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Mar 09, 2011 

HALLOWEEN WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 11/1/10

“THE DOCTOR SINGS SINATRA” @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/26/10

The musical hands of time were turned back at Pellegrine’s starting this Tuesday night. Fans of Rat Pack-era pop and jazz standards had a new reason to celebrate. Accompanied by Adam D on keys, Dr. Bill Shroeder was scheduled to croon pop and jazz classics and standards from names like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and more in a presentation called “The Doctor Sings Sinatra.”

Dr. Bill was singing Bobby Darin’s “Mack the Knife” as I first arrived and procured a table seat. A good-sized dinner crowd was in the main band room and paying attention as he and Adam continued their performance over the two sets. Dr. Bill sang Ol’ Blue Eyes favorites like “Strangers in the Night,” “Fly Me to the Moon,” “That’s Life,” “My Way,” “Come Fly with Me” and more; along with Andy Williams’ “Speak Softly Love,” Dean Martin’s “Amore” and “Everybody Loves Somebody,” Elvis Presley’s “Are You Lonesome Tonight” and “Can’t Help Falling In Love With You,” The Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody,” Tony Bennett’s “I Left My Heart in San Francisco,” Louis Armstrong’s “All of Me,” Ray Charles’ “Georgia on My Mind,” Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” and more.

Dr. Bill displayed a smooth voice with good range, and Adam D’s keyboard orchestrations nicely set the mild mood and fleshed out the sound. At one point, Dr. Bill even flew solo, singing an a cappella version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” Dr. Bill and Adam closed out the show with an Ol’ Blue Eyes classic, “New York, New York,” while several of the ladies in the audience got up, joined arms and did their best Rockettes dance step imitation.

The crowd – mostly an older audience – appreciated the performance, and the debut of “The Doctor Sings Sinatra” was a successful one.

Dr. Bill Shroeder and Adam D present “The Doctor Sings Sinatra.”

OPEN MIC/JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/27/10

Another Wednesday, another Pellegrine’s Open Mic/Jam Night. This one would take an interesting twist toward the homestretch.

I had undertaken a new earning situation on Wednesday nights starting this week, and headed to Pellegrine’s afterward with the jam session already in progress. For a change, the jam was taking place on Pellegrine’s main stage, instead of the entrance to the dining room area.

Rich Dasch was taking the stage, and played through a few acoustic rock and folk favorites. Rich did Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold,” before Harmonica Dave stepped up and did a solo display. After Rich sang Del Shannon’s “Runaway” and Neil Young’s “Down By the River,” other musicians started jamming. Jam host Adam D on keys, Big Jim on acoustic guitar, Jamie Shumac on drums and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady did Dr. Hook’s “Cover of the Rolling Stone” and Bad Company’s “Shooting Star,” before Jeff Renner sang lead on Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me.” Jamie sang lead on Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page,” and the jams continued with Grand Funk Railroad’s “Some Kind of Wonderful,” Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way” and AC/DC’s “TNT.”

The musicians then took a break while Eric D stepped up and performed an acoustic selection of rock and folk favorites. Eric played numbers from Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Todd Snider, Oasis, a guy’s perspective take on Alanis Morisette’s “You Oughta Know” and more. Soon other musicians started joining in, and the jam session resumed.

With Rich Piccerillo on guitar and John Scarfone on bass joining in, the jam session started taking a harder direction with songs from Led Zeppelin, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Metallica, Black Sabbath, AC/DC and more. The bongo-playing Professor joined in for some of it, risking blood on the bongos to keep the beats! The rocking jams continued through the duration of the night, culminating in the night-closing all-out jam rendition of The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again!”

Although my hands were a little torn up with the intense bongo playing on the harder stuff, still a good time!

Priscilla the Tambourine Lady joins the Shark Bite pair of Big Jim and Adam D.

Eric D.

Left to right: Big Jim, John Scarfone, Jamie Shumac and Rich Piccerillo.

Rocking out: John, Jamie and Rich.

Adam D sings from his easy chair as the jam session continues.

JAM NIGHT @ SANKERTOWN VFW, SANKERTOWN 10/28/10

Still in the mood for jamming, I decided to head up the hill to the Sankertown VFW outside Cresson this night to observe and perhaps partake in the monthly jam session that happens there on the last Thursday of every month, hosted by Hot Wax.

It didn’t take long for the latter to happen. With bongos in hand I entered, procured an initial brew and watched as Mike Zerbee, Dan Myers II and Kayla “felix’ apprentice” Feaster on guitars, Larry Smelley on bass and Pat Boland on drums did renditions of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps” and Matchbox 20’s “3 A.M.” Then I was beckoned to the stage with my bongos, set up on a chair in front of a microphone, and ended up “banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee” for the duration of the night, almost 2 hours straight! The music spanned various classic and southern rock gems, some Jimmy Buffett tunes, a few country numbers and more. A few other musicians took part along the way, with Mike Crocetti spotting Pat a break behind the drum kit, and toward night’s end, Kim McCarty stepping up to the mic to flex her excellent voice on 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up.” Other highlights included slow songs for both the Zerbee and Crocetti couples to slow-dance, and the Hot Wax blending of “Folsom Prison Blues” with Brooks & Dunn’s “Cool Drink of Water.”

It was my longest duration on the bongos so far, but I enjoyed it, and the other musicians and crowd had fun as well. I liked this first encounter with the monthly Sankertown VFW jam night, and it likely won’t be my last!

(The following pictures were all taken by Francis Wertz; R.I.P.)

Taking part in the jam: Kayla “felix’ apprentice” Feaster, Larry Smelley and Dan Myers II.

Dan Myers II and Mike Zerbee.

Again; Kayla, Larry and Dan.

A bongo-playing Professor joins Kayla and Mike.

Again, yours truly on bongos, with Pat Boland behind the kit, Kayla and Mike Crocetti.

Once again, yours truly.

Yours truly, Kayla, Mike and Dan.

Chris Myers joins in on bass.

Larry, Kayla, Pat and Mike.

The jam session fun continues.

Kim McCarty adds her voice to the festivities.

Kim and Kayla.

LOVE & LIGHT PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS “THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW” @ THE ARENA, STATE COLLEGE 10/29/10

Halloween season was upon us, and again, my Halloween season included a local music/theater production of The Rocky Horror Show. Love & Light Productions presented this year’s edition of Rocky at The Arena in State College.

Directed by Alicia Starr (who reprised her role as Magenta), this year’s accounting of two soon-to-be-weds’ car breakdown and dark castle episode with space alien transvestites and sexual confusion was fast-paced, wild and often funny; with a steady barrage of popular audience callbacks providing multiple laughs along the way.

Clover frontman Greg Mudzinski gave a witty and acidic persona to his portrayal of the maniacal Dr. Frank’N’Furter as he scared and seduced Brad Majors (Chad Elder) and Janet Weiss (Rachael Ruhl), created his Frankenstein-ish lover and bride Rocky (Allen Boyd) and slaughtered Eddie (Erik Hartman, also portraying Dr. Everett Scott); but later met his demise at the hands of servants Magenta and Riff Raff (Emidio Krupa), despite the heroic efforts of servant Columbia (Amanda Lundberg) to protect him.

Rocky Horror rocked, thanks to the band comprised of musical director and bassist Duste Walizer, guitarists Steve Morrison and Wentle, keyboardist Jessica Rossman and drummer James DeCosmo.

As expected and hoped for, this production of Rocky Horror was delightfully twisted, funny and entertaining. And it rocked. Hats off to all who made it happen, good job!

A scene from Rocky Horror.

The Rocky Horror curtain call.

SLACKER THEORY/X’S FOR EYES/THIS CALLING @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 10/29/10

After Rocky Horror finished at The Arena, I traversed I-99 back to Altoona to catch 30 Something’s Halloween party; a triple-bill featuring Slacker Theory, Exes for Eyes and This Calling.

I got there late during Slacker Theory’s set, and only got to catch the latter’s last two songs, as they did Alice In Chain’s “Man In the Box” and another song.

In the latter stages of their opening set, Slacker Theory.

The facepainted Eric Wertz of Slacker Theory.

Also in facepaint, Ryan George of Slacker Theory.

Dalton McDonald of Slacker Theory.

Steve Danfelt of Slacker Theory.

X’s for Eyes had a good crowd and good response as they blasted forth their brand of old-school-flavored punk rock. Singer/guitarist Tom Noel, guitarist Shaun Barr, bassist Oob and drummer Justin Fair had costumed and non-costumed fans alike dancing and cheering in front of the stage to tunes from such names as the Misfits, Goldfinger, Dropkick Murphys, Rancid and more. These guys generated constant energy and adrenaline, and maintained a steady, airtight pace that didn’t allow anybody the opportunity to want to sit back down.

X’s for Eyes continues the Halloween merriment at 30 Something.

Oob of X’s for Eyes.

Tom Noel of X’s for Eyes.

X’s for Eyes and Halloween celebrants.

This Calling slammed the lid on the night with their own distinctive brand of all-out modern metal. The mostly-costumed cast of singer/guitarist Joe Neary, guitarist Chris Silva, bassist Paul Greiner and drummer Justin Fair fired off their arsenal of original songs; including “The Day I Died,” “Disguise,” “My Turning Point,” their title “This Calling” and more. The group staged a costume contest early in the set, and later on welcomed Slacker Theory mouthpiece Steve Danfelt onstage to sing a song he helped author with Joe, Paul and Justin in 4 Days Dirty, “Killbox.” This Calling closed their set with a torrid reset of Iron Maiden’s classic “Hallowed Be Thy Name.” The crowd stayed in front of the stage for the duration, and showed their appreciation for This Calling’s hard-rocking intensity.

This Calling continues the party.

During the costume contest, This Calling’s Joe Neary presents the cigarette lady.

Hey, I recognize that hippy! It’s Denise!

Again, This Calling.

The hippy-fied Justin Fair of This Calling.

Again, Joe Neary of This Calling.

Slacker Steve Danfelt joins This Calling onstage.

Again, Slacker Steve.

More Halloween party fun with This Calling.

One more time, This Calling.

All three bands represented well onstage, as they entertained a costumed cast including various ghouls, harlots, hippies, an Evel Kneivel, Edward Scissorhands, Lenny Kravitz, a cigarette girl and more. This was a solid, rocking Halloween party that further set the mood for the weekend.

DRAIN THE SORROW/DICK SHACK POSSE/TERRIBLE MINDS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/30/10

For my Saturday night Halloween merriment, I headed across the railroad tracks to check out Aldo’s Halloween party, which was also a triple-bill featuring Drain The Sorrow, Dick Shack Posse and Terrible Minds. I arrived too late for Drain The Sorrow’s opening set, but got there just in time to witness Dick Shack Posse’s full set.

Opening with the Misfits’ “Halloween,” Dick Shack Posse quickly got the costumed fans rowdy with their old-school punk selection, including tunes from The Clash, Black Flag, Fear, Gang Green and more. This was the first time I saw this group with new frontman Tim Mort; his predecessor, Scoob Lanzendorfer, stepped up to sing a few songs as well. Late in the set, guest Tim Gatehouse broke out the bagpipes on a number.

He didn’t stay away long…Back to front Dick Shack Posse for a few songs this night, Scoob Lanzendorfer.

Scoob and Dick Shack Posse entertain Aldo’s costumed crazies, including a surly-looking tooth fairy.

Tim Mort of Dick Shack Posse with some crazed costumed fans.

Again, Tim and the fans.

Brian and Andrea Weibley of Dick Shack Posse.

From the wild west, Bob Brunner of Dick Shack Posse.

Bagpipe man Tim Gatehouse makes his way to the stage.

Tim Gatehouse in action.

Tim Mort, Tim Gatehouse and Jeff Reid of Dick Shack Posse.

Tim Gatehouse and Jeff Reid.

Again, Tim Mort.

Andrea and Jeff of Dick Shack Posse.

Brian and Tim of Dick Shack Posse.

One more time, Dick Shack Posse.

Altoona hardcore foursome Terrible Minds ended the night with their scathing set. The partially-facepainted cast of Geoff, TJ, Brian and Matt performed bristling originals like “Head Hunter” and their title song, plus a rampaging spin on Limp Bizkit’s “Breakstuff.” They also hosted a costume contest for the ladies in the room, won by one gal decked out as a granny. Some of the other costumes in the house during this bash included a surly tooth fairy, a ninja, clown, Flo the Progressive Auto Insurance lady (now that’s scary!), nuns and a priest, and more.

Terrible Minds caps Aldo’s Halloween party.

Terrible Minds hosts the ladies’ costume contest, with the skunk lady stating her case.

Terrible Minds and more costume contest excitement.

Granny wins.

More Terrible Minds.

One more time, Terrible Minds.

LIMITED SLIP @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 10/30/10

Following the end of Aldo’s Halloween party, I headed to 30 Something to catch the last part of the performance by a band I had yet to see, new area band Limited Slip.

Limited Slip first surfaced earlier this year with performances at some of Mysterytrain’s outdoor festival events, and now is beginning to frequent Blair County nightspot stages. During the latter stage of this show, Limited Slip generated a loose, freewheeling vibe as they performed various classics from the ‘60s through ‘90s.

A family band, singer/guitarist Jon McCloskey Jr. (ex-Dead Flowers), rhythm guitarist Sam McCloskey, bassist Jon McCloskey Sr. and drummer John Wolf stretched out and improvised as they did numbers from The Who, the Rolling Stones, Alice In Chains and more. Limited Slip sounded both instrumentally and vocally strong, and generated good response from the folks present.

While I didn’t get to see much of them, what I did see of Limited Slip was good enough to make me want to catch a full night of this group sometime soon.

Limited Slip.

Again, Limited Slip.

A little Halloween costume action graces the dance floor during Limited Slip's last set.

And then a banana shows up.

Jon McCloskey Jr. of Limited Slip.

John Wolf of Limited Slip.

Jon McCloskey Sr. of Limited Slip.

THE HURRICANES’ HALLOWEEN BLUES CRUISE ABOARD THE PROUD MARY, LAKE RAYSTOWN 10/31/10

Today was a little bittersweet…On the bright side, the Hurricanes were again staging their annual Halloween Blues Cruise aboard the Proud Mary riverboat at Lake Raystown. But this also marked the end of outdoor live music fun for another year, as colder temperatures and winter weren’t far away.

After the pre-cruise picnic under a nearby pavilion, The Hurricanes again filled the lake environs with the sounds of rock and blues, and entertained a cast of costumed revelers and other fans on the Proud Mary’s top deck. Felix, Bob and Jeff mixed it up between songs by ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Badfinger, Ted Nugent, Dire Straits, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Zac Brown Band, Pat Travers and more; and broke out original songs such as the new “Coming Home,” “Cut That Line,” “Keep On Rockin’” and more.

Cruise participants got to see the Steelers’ Troy Polamalu (a.k.a. musician Dustin Wagner, his hair enhanced by a healthy dose of the Polamalu-promoted Head & Shoulders) sit in to jam on acoustic guitar with The Hurricanes. Other costumed Cruise passengers included JoePa with a walker, a sexually explicit hand gesture, Pocahontas, a witch and more. Needless to say, fun and merriment were abundant on the top deck of the Proud Mary.

After the boat returned to dock, the post-party under the pavilion featured Felix doing the honors of grilling up burgers and hot dogs, and many of the revelers enjoying the last moments of outdoor fun for this year.

Before the Cruise, JoePa shows up in his walker, ready to party…
(Here is the video of JoePa’s arrival, from the ‘Canes’ Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1448518979521)

Jimmy, Shawn and Guv’nor Jesse are part of the Halloween Blues Cruise cast.

Hurricane Bob toasts another Blues Cruise!

The Hurricanes and the Proud Mary set sail.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes

Two in the pink…

Joepolamalu…

I believe this couple made the roadtrip in from the Alps to be part of the Cruise…

Hurricane Felix with green teeth! Oh my!

Polamalu joins Hurricane Felix on acoustic guitar.

Polamalu jams!

The Hurricanes and Polamalu. However, I think Troy left it on the Proud Mary before he jetted to N’awlins for the Sunday night NFL game, and the Steelers got beaten by the Saints…

A vampiress and her potential victim.

Guv’nor/butler/vampire/whatever-the-hell-he-is-this-day Jesse toasts in front of the band…

It’s a packed-house crowd on the Proud Mary’s top deck.

A turtle-mouse exorcises Guv’nor Jesse.

Again, Hurricane Felix.

After the Cruise, Felix grills up dogs and burgers.

THE DOWNFALL @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/31/10

Halloween weekend drew to a close at Pellegrine’s, with The Downfall providing the music for Pelly’s annual Halloween party.

The costumed cast of singer Dustin Reisling, guitarists Lee Stein and Scott Diehl, bassist/sax man Ryan McKracken and drummer J.D. Heverly pumped out the party with favorites from the ‘70s to present; spanning Weezer and Bush to Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams, and nearly everything in between. The Downfall kept the musical action constant over their three sets, maintaining an energetic, fun vibe that kept costumed and non-costumed fans on the dance floor for most of the night.

The Downfall hosted the costume contest during their third set. Some of the costumed cast at this shindig included Catwoman, a lady referee, fairy, a guitar, pirate lady, policewoman, JoePa with his walker and more.

The Downfall.

The Downfall entertains costumed crazies on the dance floor.

The costume contest has begun.

More costumes…I like the guitar!

The Downfall’s party continues.

A lady in black photographs The Downfall’s Ryan McCracken and his junk.

Scott Diehl of The Downfall.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: