· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 11/8/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Mar 26, 2011 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 11/8/10

OPEN MIC/JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/3/10

Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night at Pellegrine’s again provided its share of fun jams this week, as at least a dozen musicians attended and took part.

Jeff Renner – “Lonewolf” – was performing as I arrived, playing guitar and singing on several classics. He did Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Tightrope” and Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me,” and he used a digital harmonizer to fill out his vocal arrangement on Eric Clapton’s “After Midnight.”

Several musicians then took the stage to jam together on some common numbers. Jamie Shumac on vocals, Terry Wilt on drums, John Buterbaugh on guitar, Adam D on keys and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady started off the jam, with Harmonica Dave joining in to wail some harp on Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance.” Lauren Johnson then stepped up to the microphone to belt out voice on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man.” Jeff Renner returned to join the musicians for Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild”; with no bass in the house, Jeff used a synth bass effect with his guitar to provide bottom end. After Alice In Chains’ “Man in the Box,” Tim Yingling took over behind the drum kit for Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll.” The jams continued with Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs” and Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love,” before Mark Panek took over drum duties for the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.” The musicians then continued with AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long” and Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath.”

Rich Edmundson then spotted this group of musicians a break to do some solo acoustic numbers, with Terry Wilt providing drum accompaniment. Harmonica Dave then wailed a few solo harmonica exercises, before Lonewolf returned to perform songs by 3 Doors Down, Bob Dylan, Santana, Ram Jam, AC/DC and The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”

The late-arriving Eric D then finished out the night with a set of his acoustic-geared sounds; doing numbers by Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones and more. The bongo-playing Professor accompanied Eric with some percussion on renditions of the Rolling Stones’ “Paint it Black” and Old Crow Medicine Show’s “Wagon Wheel,” as well as Eric’s unique guy-geared slant on Alanis Morisette’s “You Oughta Know.”

Once again, a fun and successful jam night!

Jam night again happened on Pellegrine’s main band stage this week. Pictured from left to right: Priscilla the Tambourine Lady, Adam D, John Buterbaugh and Jeff Renner (I’m not sure who is behind the kit at this point).

Pellegrine’s fireplace was doing a brisk business during this chilly early November night.

FULL KILT @ MOLLY MAGUIRE’S, ALTOONA 11/4/10

It was that time of month again, to deliver the new November issues of Pennsylvania Musician magazine. I had yet to deliver magazines or witness live music at Altoona’s new Irish pub, Molly Maguire’s, so with Full Kilt playing their monthly first Thursday show, it was time to remedy that!

Molly’s was rocking was I entered, as a packed house was rollicking to Full Kilt’s mix of rocking Irish and Celtic-driven rock favorites. Singer/guitarist Mike Zerbee, fiddle chick and Jameson connoisseur Mandy Passmore, bassist and bodhran bopper Chris Myers and drummer Pat Boland (playing hand percussion this night) were doing their original song “Plastic Paddies” as I entered the room, and continued with a mixture of Irish drinking favorites, Irish rock favorites, and Irished-up versions of other popular songs. Full Kilt offered their slants on “Whiskey In the Jar,” a request for “Galway Girl,” “The Night That Paddy Murphy Died,” the shanty “General Taylor” and more. They also did Irish rock favorites such as Great Big Sea’s “Fast As I Can,” Gaelic Storm’s “Before the Night Is Over” and “Devil Down Below,” Flogging Molly’s “Devil’s Dance Floor” and Dropkick Murphys’ “I’m Shipping Up to Boston.” And they explained that Charlie McDaniels was an Irishman, and “The Devil (actually) Went Down to Dublin,” giving Mandy another opportunity to show some scorching fiddle-sawing.

This all nicely fired up the Molly Maguire’s crowd, enough so that an encore was quickly demanded and a hat was passed around to catch loose bills to pay for some more Full Kilt entertainment. The band gladly obliged, honoring a request for a reprise performance of “Fast As I Can,” followed by the group’s unique Celtic-flavored read of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird,” with Mandy’s fiddle taking on all of the lead guitar solo parts. Mandy then displayed another talent in addition to her fiddle chops and Jameson quaffs; displaying some nice step-dance moves on Gaelic Storm’s “Go Home, Girl!” Full Kilt then turned U2’s “With or Without You” into a house singalong, and as audience members demanded even more, Mike responded with the classic line, “We got one more in us, we got one more Guinness.” The group then went into their wild shout-along rendition of Smokie’s “Living Next Door to Alice” (I wonder if one-hit wonders Smokie have any idea that their song has gained notoriety as a beer-drinking singalong classic, complete with chorus chants of “Alice! Alice! Who the F*** Is Alice?”), before closing the night with Great Big Sea’s “Ordinary Day.”

With the house still in a festive mood after the band finished, Molly Maguire’s main man John broke out a tinwhistle, and serenaded individual tables as he went around the room. Talk about Irish pub hospitality!

Good times and good tunes, and I even got to take home with me a complimentary tub of spaghetti and meatballs! I definitely think my first visit to Molly Maguire’s will not be my last…

Fans clap along as Full Kilt strikes up the party at Molly Maguire’s.

Again, Full Kilt and the crowd.

Mandy Passmore of Full Kilt.

Pat Boland and Mandy Passmore of Full Kilt.

One more time, Full Kilt and a crowded Molly Maguire’s.

HOUNDS OF SOUL @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 11/5/10

Brass sounds were in the town this night, as Happy Valley’s Hounds Of Soul were making their first Altoona visit with a show at 30 Something.

The corps of singer Sherri Orlofsky, keyboardist/singer John Wise, guitarist Ryan Alford, bassist Mike Siggins, drummer Jordan Thompson; and the brass section of sax players Tom Gallagher and Matt Donovan, trumpet player Skip Wareham and trombonist Chris Gamble entertained a nice-sized audience with an uplifting blend of horn-powered rock and soul from the ‘60s and ‘70s. Arriving near the end of their first set, I got to hear renditions of Spencer Davis Group’s “Gimme Some Lovin’” and Blood Sweat & Tears’ “Go Down Gambling” before the group went on break.

When the music resumed, Hounds Of Soul tapped the Steely Dan catalog, kicking off the second set with “Bodhisattva.” John then crooned the lead vocal on Hall & Oates’ “Sarah Smile,” before the horn section kicked up some fury to drive Rare Earth’s “I Just Want to Celebrate.” Promising that the next song would “get your inner Ricky Ricardo going,” Hounds Of Soul then launched into Santana’s “Everybody’s Everything,” followed by Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin’” and Otis Redding/Three Dog Night’s “Try a Little Tenderness.” The Hounds then pulled out a forgotten ‘60s classic with the Bar-Kays’ “Soul Finger,” before finishing out the set with Ides Of March’s “Vehicle.”

The band was feeling it thus far. Their vibe was joyous and fun, offering abundant smiles and sharp musicianship. Their wall of horns was sounding strong, and the 30 Something audience seemed to be enjoying every minute of it.

Hounds Of Soul returned to Hall & Oates’ catalog of blue-eyed soul when they reconvened, starting the third set with “She’s Gone.” Their horn section then grew by one, as guest sax man Mike “Fort” Fortunato of Royal Benson joined the fun on Wilson Pickett’s ever-popular “Mustang Sally.” The group then visited the Chicago catalog for “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is,” and set the dance floor into action with A Taste Of Honey’s “Boogie Oogie Oogie.” The Hounds slowed things down for Roberta Flack and Donnie Hathaway’s “The Closer I Get to You,” before returning to Chicago for “25 or 6 to 4.” The group set up a soulful homestretch finish, continuing with Martha Reeves’ “Nowhere to Run,” followed by Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” and Tower Of Power’s “So Very Hard to Go” to end the night.

The Hounds Of Soul’s Altoona debut was a strong one, and the group won some new area fans this night. Hopefully we’ll see a return visit soon.

The Hounds Of Soul make their Altoona debut at 30 Something.

Again, The Hounds Of Soul.

John Wise of the Hounds Of Soul.

Sherry Orlofsky of the Hounds Of Soul.

From another angle, the Hounds Of Soul.

More Hounds Of Soul.

The Hounds Of Soul brass section, with guest sax man Mike Fortunato (on left).

On loan from Royal Benson, Mike “Fort” Fortunato.

Matt Donovan of the Hounds Of Soul.

Skip Wareham of the Hounds Of Soul.

Tom Gallagher of the Hounds Of Soul.

MYA’S MIRACLE AUTISM BENEFIT @ BAVARIAN HALL, ALTOONA 11/6/10

The fourth annual Mya’s Miracle Autism Benefit took place this night at Altoona’s Bavarian Hall, raising funds for Autism Speaks. This year’s event would be graced by the talents of R2B2 and The Front.

A large crowd was already in place and growing as I first arrived prior to the music. A long line of gift baskets and other door prizes were lined up in the back of the hall, and folks could purchase tickets to drop in cans for the baskets and prizes they were interested in winning. I had my eye on a mountain bike and some Steelers and Penn State items, but par the course with such drawings, my tickets were not even close to the winning numbers. Also included in the night’s itinerary was a tasty food buffet, which was made available midway through R2B2’s performance.

A look down the line at the various door prizes and gift baskets.

Some of the many autism-themed stickers available.

R2B2 commenced the musical fun with two sets that mixed a variety of sounds, spanning ‘70s and ‘80s era rock, pop, funk and country. Bassist Bill Smith, guitarists Rick Wertz and Ric Criste swapped lead singing duties; demonstrating good voices on numbers from Glenn Frey, INXS, Wang Chung, Huey Lewis & the News, Gin Blossoms, Foreigner, Commodores and more. Their entire performance was fast-firing and sharp, as they quickly shifted from song to song without giving the dance floor participants any opportunity to sit down or step away. Those dance floor numbers grew as the group proceeded through their two sets and the group stepped up the funky flavors in the late going. I especially enjoyed their finale edition of Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way” with its mid-song Run DMC break, which concluded with Rick, Bill and Ric each ending their performances and departing the stage in succession, leaving drummer Beau Saller alone to close with a drum solo display!

Tom Seidel completes last-minute adjustments before the show starts.

R2B2 kicks off the night.

Rick Wertz of R2B2.

The audience.

Again, R2B2.

Bill Smith of R2B2.

Beau Saller of R2B2.

More R2B2.

Again, Bill Smith.

Again, Beau Saller.

Ric Criste of R2B2.

Once again, Bill Smith.

Again, Rick Wertz.

More of R2B2.

Again, Ric Criste.

More of Rick Wertz.

Rick Wertz and Bill Smith.

Once again, R2B2.

Once again, Rick Wertz.

A couple dances to R2B2.

Yet again, Bill Smith.

Once again, Ric Criste.

The dance floor gets steadily busier for R2B2.

Yet again, Beau Saller.

More Bill Smith.

More Rick Wertz.

The last one standing onstage, Beau Saller of R2B2.

The Front then followed with two more sets, mixing a variety of mostly ‘80s-geared rock. Dancers hit the floor within 30 seconds of The Front’s opening number, Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s “Relax.” Singer Bob Gates, guitarist/singer John McKelvey, bassist/sax player Randy Rutherford, keyboardist/rhythm guitarist Harold Hayford and drummer Clint Carothers kept the floor filled as they continued with numbers from Simple Minds, Midnight Oil, The Alarm, Billy Idol, Red Rider, Prince and more. Along the way, The Front fused together The Cars’ “You Might Think” and “Magic,” spotlighted Harold’s keyboard mastery on Deep Purple’s “Hush,” and changed things up into a modern rock vein with a surprise rendition of Seether’s “Remedy.” The group closed the night with one of my favorites, Angel City’s “Marseilles.”

Randy “Jackson” Rutherford of The Front.

The Front.

John McKelvey of The Front.

The dance floor fills quickly for The Front.

Harold Hayford of The Front.

A large audience takes in The Front’s performance.

Bob Gates of The Front.

John McKelvey and Clint Carothers of The Front.

Bob Gates and Randy Rutherford of The Front.

Again, The Front.

Again, Harold Hayford.

Again, John McKelvey.

A view of The Front from the sound console.

Once again, Harold Hayford.

Once again, John McKelvey.

John McKelvey and Bob Gates.

Clint Carothers of The Front.

Randy “Jackson” Rutherford of The Front.

Once again, Clint Carothers.

Again, Bob Gates and John McKelvey.

Yet again, Harold Hayford.

More of The Front.

Some dance floor activity for The Front.

Playing some rhythm guitar, Harold Hayford.

Two show organizers, Bonnie and Bev, enjoying some dance floor action during the Front’s performance.

Kudos to Brian McConnell and Freelance Audio for the full, quality sound, which enabled both bands to sound big and achieve total impact with their respective performances.

The bottom line was a night of fun, and a good chunk of money raised for Autism Speaks.

GIANTS OF SCIENCE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 11/6/10

Since the Mya’s Miracle benefit was finished by midnight, I had time to catch another band in the ‘Toona this night. So I headed a short distance down the hill from the Bavarian Hall to the 4D’s Lounge, where the Giants Of Science were throwing their latest party.

Lo and behold, a pleasant surprise when I entered the Dees…The Giants were decked out in their old-school white labcoats and facepaints!

The current Giants contingent of singer/guitarist Mick, bassist Matt, keytarist Scotty B and drummer Steve had a good dance floor party going as I arrived. The group was mixing up the song variety during this set, doing numbers from Green Day, Goo Goo Dolls, Zac Brown Band, Van Morrison, Tommy Tutone and more. And of course, the Giants celebrated the ‘80s with tunes from Men Without Hats, John Cafferty, Rick Springfield and Journey.

The nightcap set featured more ‘80s hits from U2, Bryan Adams, Aha, Bangles, Tom Petty and others, along with more recent fare from Sublime, Gin Blossoms and more. The party continued fast and furious until the end; and in a rare occasion, I even got drafted into logging some rug-cutting time courtesy of party-hardy ladies Amy and Sheila from up the mountain.

It all amounted to a happy-go-lucky end to a fun night.

Back in their labcoats and face paints this night, the Giants Of Science.

Matt of the Giants Of Science.

Steve of the Giants Of Science.

Again, the Giants Of Science.

The Giants Of Science, keeping the Dees’ dance floor busy.

Guest singer Deanna helps the Giants Of Science during Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl.”

Again, Deanna and the Giants Of Science.

Matt poses with party gal Amy.

Several more ladies grace the stage during the Giants Of Science’s party.

Giants keytarist Scotty B has company.

Scotty B and another female guest.

Even a Giant of Science like Matt can’t explain the human anamoly that is a drunken Guv’nor Jesse. Nobody can.

Scotty B picks up a dance partner.

Some post-gig celebrating with the Giants Of Science and yours truly.

Having fun at the 4D’s in clockwise order: Yours truly, Amy and Sheila.

Party gal Amy after a close encounter with some Giants Of Science facepaint.

VENT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/7/10

Centre County party rockers Vent had the honors of closing out another weekend at Pellegrine’s. It would probably had been more of an honor had folks actually shown up. They didn’t.

Again, Vent had to play for a mostly empty room. At least I lent them my ears for much of the duration of the time I was there, during the last two songs of their second set and their final set. Singer Tom Getz, guitarist Dave Plisco, bassist Rob Staph and drummer Jason Houser entertained the multitude of air molecules with tunes from Duran Duran, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nena, Ugly Kid Joe, Ataris, CCR, Violent Femmes, Johnny Cash and more.

This night again served as a reminder that Sunday nights in this town aren’t what they used to be. Whether it is the hard economic times, the deluge of bad publicity heaped on Pelly’s from the alleged police assault incident, or general apathy about supporting live music from folks more content to do their socializing at home via Facebook or Twitter…The times they have a changed, and not for the better.

For their part, Vent sounded good this night. And as it would turn out, this would be my final time witnessing this band before they exited stages for good at the end of the year.

Vent, partying down at Pellegrine’s.

Dave Plisco of Vent.

No longer willing to bear looking out at an empty room, Tom Getz of Vent.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: