· The Final Cut
The Radial SGI?
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Mar 09, 2016 

Im in the process of making a pedal board and was wondering if anybody used The Radial SGIs... to have a longer chord drag?

This would get me out of the 20ish feet away from my amp, and if its a bigger stage I have a lot of room for placement. Take it 90% of the shows we play this will not be needed...the 10% we do it could work pretty well with IEM's.

Whats your thoughts...they are not cheap and this would be my back up rig, so...
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

to add...Id place my wireless on my pedal board....i think?

lol
kayla
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i don't know if this helps or not? i'm kinda clueless but i was reading some stuff and saw this diagram.

http://im3.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/RADIAL+RDL+SGI44-2.JPG

- kayla.
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Im thinking (what I can use this for) is. Say you are on a larger stage...when you go from your amp to the pedal board you are limited by footage....20 feet...from what Ive been told anything past 20 the sound goes to the "ugly" side...

Using this you would have a potential of 300 feet...obviously that is a huge amount...but the expanse from your Amp to pedal board can be where ever you want to have it...not being limited by the 20 drag.

I would be wireless on guitar so the only cords would be from amp to pedal board.

Its still a new thing I discovered....hence looking for feed back...The diagram you posted Kayla would be a good set up.
JackANSI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Workin' in a Soylent factory, Waitin' for the Malthusian catastrophe.

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 10, 2016 

Do you use the dirt/overdrive/etc on your amp or is it 100% clean on that end? (i.e. your pedal board provides the tone, amp just makes it louder)
 Back to top »
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 10, 2016 

Very good question

I guess my goal would be to use the pedal board providing the Overdrive/boost/etc... Keeping my amp clean.

If I were to use the Amps channels Id have to drag another cord for that pedal and use the Send and return on the back of the amp if Im not mistaken
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Saturday Mar 12, 2016 

If you are having noise issues between your pedals and amp it will help.
If you aren't having noise issues, it's a waste of money.

"from what Ive been told anything past 20 the sound goes to the "ugly" side... " Sorry, but whomever told you that is full of shit. There are many more variables at play than just the length of the cable, especially when you are talking about the output from a pedal board to input of an amp.
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

So I may be mistaken then Ron.

I have no problem with a noise issue via my pedal board. And if the length of the cord dont matter im set.

So what your saying (FROM AMP to PEDAL BOARD). It dont matter the length of the cord?
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

The output from a standard guitar pickup is a fraction of the output from your pedal board, so the raw guitar signal is more easily affected by longer cords. Usually the issues are the highs starting to roll off or noise creeping in. The quality of the cable has a lot to do with this.

Once the signal is amplified and buffered by your effects processing chain, it is less prone to signal degradation from the cable itself.

I would still use a high quality cable, but don't sweat the length of the cord from the pedal board to amp (within reason). The room will affect your tone more than the cable.
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday Mar 14, 2016 

I really only see at most a 50 foot cord from amp to pedal board..
I use a Humdebugger if things get noisy.

My layout

Booster/Delay/Chours/Overdrive/Wah/Volume Pedal/Tuner

The Humdebugger and Wireless im still debating if I should put on the pedal board or leave them back by the amp...
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you sure that is the order of your effects? It is almost 100% backwards. Again, it may just be the way you're describing inputs and outputs.

I would have my set up as: guitar -> tuner -> boost -> wah -> OD -> chorus -> delay

Tone shaping (od, comp, wah, distortion, eq) should be done before time-delay effects (chorus, echo, flange).

A boost can be used at the end of the chain, but I wouldn't recommend it, since it will also boost any noise from the effects. The best place to boost your signal is at the beginning of the chain, usually after the tuner. It will increase your signal-to-noise ratio and also make any effects that follow it work better.

Volume pedals can go anywhere in the chain, depending on what you use it for, std. volume, echo swells, etc.

If you only want to run one long cable from your pedals to amp, your wireless receiver has to be at the pedal board.
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

No thats is not the order..I still need to figure that part out and I will use your comments via ur post above. Its a work in progress.........
Thanks in advance \m/

I want to try a Wampler Paisley Overdrive Pedal. Considering the Band im a part of is Country, I dont want to go too crazy with distortion..(although my ears love the Massive Screaming Messa... it dont fit the bill)......mabe just overdrive the signal compressing it...

To be honest thats been the hardest part...finding the right sound.
Putting my mind from rock to country and making it fit without going overboard with the dirty channel..(which I tend to do)

My Fender amps can get it done...just have to get my mind wrapped around it to make it the best sound for whats right for the band...
kayla
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 15, 2016 

your pedal chain is going to be very important in your sound. i've used a Wampler Paisley Overdrive Pedal and they are very nice, great little sound. I tend to overdrive the crap out of my tubes to give it a nice crunch but you then you can roll down the volume for a nice clean tone. just my two cents ha.

- kayla.
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 15, 2016 

I'm a fan of Fender amps.
Owned a bunch of different ones over the years.

Does your humdebugger pedal affect the tone much?

The sound of single coils can't be matched for clean tones IMO, but the hum can make them unusable live.
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Mar 16, 2016 

I bought the Humdebugger about 5 years ago. Its sits mounted (By velcro) in the back of my amp (Fender Mustang IV) ready to go at a moments notice when needed. Believe it or not...Ive used it mabe 6 times. BUT the times I used it...it was well needed. If I didnt have it to kill the "White noise" it would have been unbearable.

With that said, with the pedal on, If your in a high gain channel you can tell a difference. When the whole band is going you cant tell. But playing at the house with no other things...you can tell at the end of the sound...it kinda phases out.

Worth it...Yes... But I dont use it much anymore because we bring the same sound man almost every show, and he has all the power conditioners and gizmos already to take care of that.

All my Telecasters I play live have Humbuckers at the Bridge (John 5 Customs w/Demarzzio D-Activators). I dont think I have taken out any of my single coil guitars live yet....
bassist_25

Post Posted: Friday Mar 25, 2016 

Unless you're doing some really crazy long cable runs, I'd suggest just having a good line buffer will eliminate 99% of any capacitance problems you may be having. If you don't have any buffered devices in your chain, JHS makes a dedicated line buffer that comes in a 1590A box. Your wireless is probably also giving you a little bit of boost on the top end to help overcome capacitance. If there's anything that's sucking tone in your chain, I'd suggest replacing it with something that is true bypass, has a high quality buffered bypass, or if it's a must-have, putting it in a true bypass loop.

I've heard good things about the Dehumbugger. I'm partial to ISP for noise gate solutions, myself. I find that Decimators are super easy to use and are great at eliminating high frequency hum without choking your notes.

There are some rules of thumb with signal chain, but sometimes you have to experiment and go with things that seem unintuitive. I don't currently have my wah on my pedal board. However, it sounds terrible before all of my dirt but sounds great after it. Maybe it's some sort of impedance mismatch between the pedals. Confused General wisdom is to put the wah before any type of distortion or fuzz.
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: