· Home
· Band Pages
· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Bass players: What strings are you using?
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
bassist_25

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 11, 2004 

Since Tony's rockin' the guitar strings thread, I thought I'd post one for bass strings.

Currently, I'm really enjoying the Ken Smith Rockmasters. I can buy a 5-string set from Musician's Friend for about $22. They're very bright sounding but yet remain clean and tight. They also seem to keep their tone for a very long time. I use to play with GHS Boomers, but I found that they didn't retain their tone for very long. When they would start to deaden, they took on this really weird mid-range timbre that I didn't care very much for.

For nickle strings, I've had really good luck with a brand called Dr. Duck's. I can purchase a 5-string set from Robert M. Sides in State College for about $20 (I think a 4-string set is about $16). They sound just like Fender Nickle-Rounds.

I also have a set of Fender Nylon stings on my fretless. I've tried a ton of strings on that bass from GHS to Danelectros to Ernie Balls and I could never find the sound I was looking for (it came stock with a set of rounds, which is odd considering that most fretlesses are shipped with flats). I like the brightness of round wounds, but they always sounded too thin on the bass. I knew that flats would sound fuller but I wanted a brighter tone. I tried a set of the nylons are fell in love. They aren't as bright as rounds but they still have some punch; most importantly, they have a very fat sound (but are still punchy).
CMOR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday Dec 13, 2004 

I think I heard that GHS changed the Boomers, but didn't announce it. Lately, I've grown very fond DR Lo-Riders. Punchy mids, thick lows, just enough highs, and long life. I'm sold.
 Back to top »
red
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Dec 14, 2004 

I use Velvet Garbo's on my upright, they are soon to be a better known company as many of us upright players are discovering them!!
 Back to top »
Mackovyak

Post Posted: Wednesday Dec 15, 2004 

I haven't picked up one of my basses outside of a studio situation in such a long time....wow!

Anyway, I play Everly B-52 Bass Rockers. .... .040 - .100

On a pillow of your bones
I will lay across the stones
Of your shore until the tide comes crawling back
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Matt_22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Dec 15, 2004 

For Lost Ledny I use Ernie Ball power slinkys....135-40 5 stringer. SO far I have no complaints
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: