· The Forums
· The Final Cut
MILLENIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP, PART I
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Feb 19, 2003 

MILLENIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP PART I

Due to the volume of photos I took each day at this year's event, I've broken down this year's Millenium Music Conference coverage into three parts, one for each day. Logically, we begin with the first night of showcases…

THURSDAY NIGHT 2/13:

Despite getting a late start from Altoona and getting delayed some 15-20 minutes by a traffic wreck at the Carlisle exit off the PA Turnpike, I still arrived in Harrisburg in plenty of time to check into my hotel room at the Hilton, take in the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show at the State Farm Show Complex, and make it to my first showcase of this year's Millenium to catch all five bands on the bill. I caught the showcase at Underdog (formerly the Rusty Nail), featuring Seventh Hour, Hyper Chyld, Seven Days Torn, Cyphilis and Balistic. Seventh Hour had just started as I arrived; they performed a powerful set of all original songs, showcasing mostly newer numbers from their forthcoming CD expected later this year. Highlights included "Incurable," with its three-part vocal harmonies; "Bled Through My Tears," featuring guitarist Jim "Freakboy" Munster's sax abilities; and "Insignificant;" along with new tunes like "Filth" and "Malice." Jay Knorr's vocals were powerful and in good form, and drummer Ed Burke again showed his hard-hitting abilities on the kit. It was a strong and solid display of hard-hitting, melody-geared modern rock that kicked this showcase off in fine fashion. And thanks to the Seventh Hour gang for turning me on to Young's Double Chocolate Stout; if you can envision beer made using Hershey's syrup, you'll have a general idea what this tasted like - real good stuff!

Seventh Hour helps kick off Millenium weekend at Underdog.

Jay Knorr of Seventh Hour.

Jim “Freakboy” Munster of Seventh Hour.

Jeff Sallada of Seventh Hour.

Ed Burke of Seventh Hour.

Jay and Jim of Seventh Hour.

Next up was Baltimore's Hyper Chyld, a band I first discovered two years ago at Millenium. Hyper Chyld delivered a powerful and passionate set featuring old and new original songs. This band was charged up and happy to be at Millenium; singer Jamie Sadler gave one of the most fiery performances I've seen him do yet; and the rest of the group played it crisp, tight and energized behind him. Songs such as "Rise Up," "Collision," "Too High," "Innocent the Sky" and several new songs such as "Rockstar" each were highlights. Perhaps the most memorable part of Hyper Chyld's set was actually a miscue; as guitarist Rock Huddleston stepped from the stage onto the floor during "Come To Life," he slipped and landed on his posterior, but kept executing his midsong guitar solo with a grin on his face and without missing a note! Hyper Chyld drew strong approval from the audience for their set, and it's safe to say the group won over a number of new fans this night.

Jamie Sadler of Hyper Chyld.

Unexpectedly sitting down on the job, Rock Huddleston of Hyper Chyld keeps the guitar solo intact. What a pro!

Hyper Chyld authoritatively states their case onstage at Underdog.

Once again, Jamie Sadler of Hyper Chyld.

Rock Huddleston of Hyper Chyld.

Jamie Sadler of Hyper Chyld.

Brian Gulin of Hyper Chyld.

Once again, Rock Huddleston of Hyper Chyld.

Third on the bill was another Baltimore-based band, Seven Days Torn. This group too did a melody-geared brand of hard-driving modern rock, mixed with a slightly funkier edge. A four-piece, Seven Days Torn did songs from their self-titled CD such as "Flow," and mixed a number of newer songs as well. Their songs were put together well, with melodies that worked along solid grooves; and the group delivered them with energy and enthusiasm. Singer Anthony Hurley displayed a solid voice, although his words were a little buried in the sound mix. Several other Baltimore musicians in the audience cheered their approval as Seven Days Torn proceeded through their set. Overall, a strong, energetic set.

Seven Days Torn rocks down Underdog.

Anthony Hurley of Seven Days Torn.

I then got my first look at Cyphilis. This Wilkes-Barre-based band stepped up the aggression, playing original metallic modern rock. The base sound hinted both at Korn and Marilyn Manson, with low-tuned, buzzsaw guitar riffage and the manic, aggressive vocal delivery of wildman singer Germ. The group did a number of songs from their "Back Words" EP, including "777," "Ambivalence," "Sap," "Zipper Neck," my personal favorite "Mudflap Lip" (drummer Brian Feist stepped up the intensity on the kit on this one), and the set-closing "California Dreamer" (definitely NOT to be confused with the old Mamas & Papas hit "California Dreamin'"). This band was hungry and intense, with a presentation that was constantly on the attack. I liked Cyphilis' brand of metallic aggression; hopefully I’ll get to see this band again at some point down the road.

Germ of Cyphilis.

Nick D. of Cyphilis.

Cyphilis steps up the aggression onstage at Underdog.

Ed Glazenski of Cyphilis.

Again, Germ of Cyphilis.

Germ and Ed of Cyphilis.

Finishing this showcase was Balistic, "officially" introducing their new singer, former Spellbound frontman Mark McNelley. As expected, Balistic sounded sharp on their set of dark, heavy, progressive-geared rock. This group has again become a more lethal unit with Mark's recent addition; with his searing higher-ranged voice working in tandem with bassist Dave Fox's gothic-geared groan. Balistic original songs like "Psychic Man," "Lean On Me," "Leave Me Alone," "The Darkness," "Land of the Living" and the somber "Hear My Prayer" all took on a new dimension with Mark's contribution. Balistic cranked on all cylinders and sounded full and powerful throughout their set, culminating in the night's only cover song, Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls," to end the evening. All five bands stated their cases on the Underdog stage this night, providing a strong liftoff for this year’s Millenium Music Conference.

Brian Kneasel of Balistic.

Looking particularly evil this night, Dave Fox of Balistic.

Balistic slams the lid on the first night of Millenium weekend.

Mark McNelley of Balistic.

Standing tall, Brian Kneasel of Balistic.

Happy that Millenium weekend has arrived: Troy Logan (Screamapillar), Shel Hoachlander (Black Thorn Entertainment & Pennsylvania Musician); and Carol and Mark McNelley.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: