· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Age limit.
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
Conrad

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 25, 2007 

I'm wanting to know the age limit for a musicican to play in a bar after 9:00pm? Is it 21 or can a 18 yr old also play? Thanks.
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

BDR

r:>)
Conrad

To all who responded to my question. It's greatly appericated.

Wes
nitekast
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Sunday May 04, 2008 

Just wanted to add to this thread that my band was kicked out of the Westmont Gardens last night because 2 of our members are 19. I told the owner and staff about all the shows that we've played already and where they were and they told me that those bars were breaking the law. It was total bullshit. We drove the whole way there and advertised the hell out of it and this is what we got. So who's right and who's wrong? Do you have to be 21 to play in a bar or are you guys right by saying 21?
 Back to top »
Jim Price

This is what is listed under Section 4-493 of the state's Liquor Code, regarding employment of minors:

Quote:
(13) RETAIL LICENSEES EMPLOYING MINORS. For any hotel, restaurant or club liquor licensee, or any retail dispenser, to employ or to permit any minor under the age of eighteen to serve any alcoholic beverages or to employ or permit any minor under the age of sixteen to render any service whatever in the licensed premises, nor shall any entertainer under the age of eighteen be employed or permitted to perform in any licensed premises in violation of the labor laws of this Commonwealth: Provided, That in accordance with board regulations minors between the ages of sixteen and eighteen may be employed to serve food, clear tables and perform other similar duties, not to include the dispensing or serving of alcoholic beverages. A ski resort, golf course or amusement park licensee may employ minors fourteen and fifteen years of age to perform duties in rooms or areas of the licensed premises; however, such minors may not perform duties in rooms or areas in which alcohol is being concurrently dispensed or served or in which alcohol is being concurrently stored in an unsecured manner. Notwithstanding any provisions of law to the contrary, a hotel, restaurant or club liquor licensee or any retail dispenser may allow students receiving instruction in a performing art to perform an exhibition in observance of ethnic heritage if the students are not compensated and are under proper supervision. Written notice of the performance must be provided to the enforcement bureau prior to the performance.

Based on that, you need to be 18 to entertain in a licensed establishment. The next provision in this section of the code regards minors being inside a licensed establishment in general:

Quote:
(14) PERMITTING UNDESIRABLE PERSONS OR MINORS TO FREQUENT PREMISES. For any hotel, restaurant or club liquor licensee, or any retail dispenser, his servants, agents or employes, to permit persons of ill repute or prostitutes to frequent his licensed premises or any premises operated in connection therewith.

Minors may only frequent licensed premises if: (a) they are accompanied by a parent; (b) they are accompanied by a legal guardian; (c) they are under proper supervision; (d) they are attending a social gathering; or (e) the hotel, restaurant or retail dispenser licensee has gross sales of food and nonalcoholic beverages equal to fifty per centum or more of its combined gross sale of both food and alcoholic beverages. If a minor is frequenting a hotel, restaurant or retail dispenser licensee under subsection (e), then the minor may not sit at the bar section of the premises, nor may any alcoholic beverages be served at the table or booth at which the said minor is seated unless said minor is with a parent, legal guardian or under proper supervision. Further, if a hotel, restaurant, club liquor licensee or retail dispenser is hosting a social gathering under subsection (d), then written notice at least forty-eight hours in advance of such gathering shall be given to the Bureau of Enforcement. If a minor is frequenting licensed premises with proper supervision under subsection (c), each supervisor can supervise up to twenty minors, except for premises located in cities of the first class, where each supervisor can supervise up to five minors. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, if the minors are on the premises as part of a school-endorsed function, then each supervisor can supervise fifty minors. Nothing in this clause shall be construed to make it unlawful for minors to frequent public venues or performing arts facilities.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
sunsetbass
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

on behalf of all of us with the strip we want to appoligise to nite kast for what happened. even aftewr we were done they were still trowing a fit about having an opening band peroid. we had no idea what was going to happen. i've been playing in bars for about 23 years and have never had this problem. we want to do something to make it up to you guys for all of your efforts. you guys are a great band and the gardens are the ones that lost out.
nitekast
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday May 05, 2008 

I meant 21 or 18.

Thanks Jim for the info. I guess regardless of what the law is a bar has the right to refuse anyone that is supposed to play there. It wasnt really the fact that we were turned away that pissed us off but the way that management handled the situation and the way they treated us.

It's cool Booter. We don't blame you guys and appreciate you setting us up with the show even if it didn't go as planned. There will always be more shows for us to play.

Just wanted to add that one of the 19 year olds dads was present and I was vouching for the other 19 year old and they still didn't care.
 Back to top »
Lisa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Very enlightening thread.....great information. Thanks.

Nitekast is always welcomed to play at our place Smile
 Back to top »
DMFJ03
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

It might because you were an opening band. I heard that almost all of the bars in Johnstown stopped having openers because of how bad one band was. They opened for every band that came along the pike, and, from what I heard, it was horrible. I won't mention names, or even know the status now, but that is what I was told a couple of years ago.

That sucks, guys. I wish it could have turned out better for you.
www.facebook.com/rootandthefifths
www.twitter.com/rootfifths
www.pabands.com
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
singingooroo1989

Post Posted: Saturday May 10, 2008 

I think the reason that bobbio's dad being there didn't matter is because they appeared to be more a bar than a restaurant, but that's if you're "frequenting" the establishment. We would apply to this...

"nor shall any entertainer under the age of eighteen be employed or permitted to perform in any licensed premises in violation of the labor laws of this Commonwealth"

as we were there merely to entertain.
 Back to top »
webmiztris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Jun 13, 2008 

Yeah, forget what the law says....it's really up to the bar owner. The Castle Pub doesn't want anyone under 21 playing there and that's that....regardless of what the law states, it's ultimately up the the bar owner. (This decision was a result of some bad shit that went down a while back when a band with several minors did play there. They said 'to hell with that' because it wasn't worth the trouble and I don't blame them.)
Killjingle
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 26, 2008 

Quote:
It might because you were an opening band. I heard that almost all of the bars in Johnstown stopped having openers because of how bad one band was. They opened for every band that came along the pike, and, from what I heard, it was horrible. I won't mention names, or even know the status now, but that is what I was told a couple of years ago.

For some of the bars this is correct. A friend of mine drummed for them and it became a SERIOUS issue. Sometimes we pay for the mistakes of our forefathers.
Jared Michaels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Sunday Aug 17, 2008 

sunsetbass wrote:
on behalf of all of us with the strip we want to appoligise to nite kast for what happened. even aftewr we were done they were still trowing a fit about having an opening band peroid. we had no idea what was going to happen. i've been playing in bars for about 23 years and have never had this problem. we want to do something to make it up to you guys for all of your efforts. you guys are a great band and the gardens are the ones that lost out.

Yeah! Mad

That was total bullshit what the Gardens did to you guys. Evil or Very Mad

We owe you guys from Nitekast a big one! Cool
 Back to top »
AnimalInstinct625

Post Posted: Saturday Aug 30, 2008 

You know, it's funny. At 18 you are old enough to be drafted to Iraq and fight for this country, but still not considered mature enough to perform in a bar one night?

It sucks you guys didn't get to play. Mad
nitekast
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Sunday Sep 07, 2008 

I agree totally animal but just like with the smoking ban i have no say in the matter and just have to abide by the rules. Does anyone else think this is tuning into a nazi esque govenment? Big Brother is watching you and will spank your ass if they dont like what your doing.
 Back to top »
Lisa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Speaking of age limit and the smoking ban....any public place that allows anyone under the age of 18 is not permitted to have smoking. So even if your food sales may be low, if you allow Joe Smith to bring his kids in for a burger and fries, you can not allow smoking. Of course, Joe Smith should really come to the Popper where the burgers are much more tastier and the beer is the coldest around....lol. Shameless plug.
 Back to top »
nitekast
Gold Member
Gold Member

And the midnight breakfast rules!
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: